SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Callietallie: Introduction

Callietallie

Hi,

After being on SSRI's since the early 2000s, I find myself at the end of an unplanned, too fast, taper from 100 mg Zoloft. I had been on 10 mg Lexapro for a number of years, but it wasn't really working well anymore.  Had been in a major depression state for many months (Covid isolation, mother with advancing dementia, empty nest), so Psychiatrist upped the Lexapro, but it barely helped and he said we should try different SSRI because he said, over time, a particular drug can lose it's effectiveness, so we tried Zoloft. Again, it helped a little, but not much.  So he wanted to try Cymbalta. I had an insurance SNAFU with the Cymbalta, and we are in the middle of downsizing and moving out of our home of the past 25 years, so I just didn't have the wherewithal, to deal with it.  Kept meaning to, and started the tapering of the Zoloft, but never added in the Cymbalta for the "cross-taper."  I did 50mg Zoloft for a week, and then just stopped.  That was about a week ago?  Maybe 1.5 weeks? 

Was doing ok, but now the withdrawal has set in big time. I can deal with the brain zaps, but I've been experiencing a sense of disorientation, and brain fog that is setting off my health anxiety, which is what drove me to SSRI's in the first place. I do also have tremendous mood swings and am always holding back tears, but I have a new therapist who is helping me work through a lot of that.  I have a lot of unprocessed grief to release.

But back to the brain fog and disorientation, is this a symptom of the withdrawal? Does it make any sense to go back to 50 mg of Zoloft and begin a proper taper from there or should I just "tough it out"? I have tapered off before at various times over the years, but don't remember this much trouble with my thinking. It's getting scary to drive because that's when it affects me the most.

Thank you for listening, just getting started reading past posts.

2001 to 2016  - On & off primarily Lexapro 10 mg 5 to 6 times (also tried Clexa, Wellbutrin, Effexor and Prozac)

2018 - Added Buspar for a month to mediate teeth grinding, didn't work, still on Lexapro

01/2021 - Lexapro, 15 mg, bumpy increase

02/2021 - Cross taper off Lexapro to 100 mg Zoloft

03/27/2021 - Very short taper, 50 mg Zoloft for one week then stopped (was supposed to be cross tapering with Cymbalta)

2011 - current Xanax .5 mg PRN
05/2022 - Klonopin .5 mg 2x a day, for 2 weeks because of full breakdown due to protracted dental issues
06/2022-10/2022 - kept trying to stop Klonopin, but would have panic attacks every 3-4 days, interdose withdrawals
10/2022 - Klonopin .5 mg 2x a day, stabilized then began slow taper
3/19/2023 - Klonopin .36 mg split between 2 does a day

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this difficult time with withdrawal.  Yes, brain fog and disorientation are symptoms of WD (withdrawal) from psych meds.  You say you have tapered off in the past.  The more times we go on and off psych meds, the more our nervous systems tend to get sensitized, and the harder it is to get off the drugs in the future.   Not only that, you did a very fast taper.  We at SA suggest a very conservative and slow taper to allow the nervous system to adjust to getting off the meds.  You could consider doing a small reinstatement, which I will address later.  

First of all, can you please give us specific information about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your taper in a concise list (no symptoms), only specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  This will help you understand why fast tapers cause problems.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

This explains why we do a very gradual exponential taper: 

Why Taper by 10% of my Dosage  

Also, as we are recovering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. 

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Finally, going back on a small dose of your drug, which we call reinstatement, is best done very carefully.  This is temporary, and after stabilizing you would then taper gradually off of this.  There is some risk involved, and we need more specifics about your drug history before we can suggest a good dose at which to reinstate.  Here is some information about reinstatement.  

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Please read through it, and mull it over, and we will take it from there. In the meantime, take care of yourself, and take heart.  We in this forum have been through this, and we understand first hand the pain and discomfort you are going through.  Please know that the brain is amazing in it's healing abilities.  It takes time, but healing can and will happen. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• getofflex changed the title to Callietallie: Introduction
  • Administrator

Welcome, @Callietallie

You have Zoloft withdrawal syndrome. If I were you, I'd get a prescription for 5mg liquid sertraline, reinstate and stabilize, and taper off later by tiny amounts. We often find reinstatement of very low doses is sufficient to stop withdrawal symptoms.

Yes, your antidepressant "pooped out" on you. After this happens, subsequent antidepressants often don't work. You may need to accept that antidepressants are not the answer for you, not even newer, trendier ones, after you recover from withdrawal syndrome and tapering sertraline this next time.

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is a link on how to taper Zoloft: 

Tips for Tapering Zoloft

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

Thank you both for our thorough responses.  I have done my best to condense my 20-year history onto the signature line.

I have primarily been on Lexapro the whole time, with trials of other SSRI's and Buspirone. I have tried many times (which apparently, after reading some of the information here, is not a good thing) to go off because I always felt tired no matter which option I tried. Plus I didn't like the sexual side effects.  I also finally realized about 3 years ago that the SSRI's were causing my severe Bruxism, which caused me much pain, multiple crowns, and anxiety. 

At one point I went back on because of anxiety related to tinnitus, which again, reading through things, was actually a withdrawal symptom.  Sigh.  Ears are ringing quite loudly as I type this. . . .

I am still reading and debating with myself about restarting to ease symptoms and do a proper, super slow taper. I am actually having a really good day and feeling hopeful I can do this so starting "over" isn't appealing.  Was able to run some errands with a clear head an no disorientation. But I know tomorrow I may find myself in a puddle of tears and anxiety. If I decide to do that would I go back to Zoloft, which I didn't do too well on, or Lexapro which has been my primary med?

Thank you.

2001 to 2016  - On & off primarily Lexapro 10 mg 5 to 6 times (also tried Clexa, Wellbutrin, Effexor and Prozac)

2018 - Added Buspar for a month to mediate teeth grinding, didn't work, still on Lexapro

03/27/2021 - Very short taper, 50 mg Zoloft for one week then stopped (was supposed to be cross tapering with Cymbalta)

05/2022 - Klonopin .5 mg 2x a day, for 2 weeks because of full breakdown due to protracted dental issues
06/2022-10/2022 - kept trying to stop Klonopin, but would have panic attacks every 3-4 days, interdose withdrawals

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm happy to hear you are feeling good today!  

9 hours ago, Callietallie said:

If I decide to do that would I go back to Zoloft, which I didn't do too well on, or Lexapro which has been my primary med?

I will confer with the other mods on this question, and one of us will get back to you. I suspect Lexapro, but let me double check. 

• Administrator

When you went off Lexapro and onto Zoloft, how did you feel? Did you get any odd symptoms as you left Lexapro behind?

If your symptoms are decreasing, you may want to hold on trying reinstatement.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Before I tried switching to Zoloft, I had tried increasing my Lexapro from 10 to 15 mg on Jan 5.  In an email to my psychiatrist 9 days later,  I told him that the increase was "... a little bumpy (headaches, some really, really down days, not sleeping well)."  5 weeks into the increase I reported "I am back to doing not well. Zero motivation. Very little energy. Restless anxious feelings alternating with bouts of extreme sadness and crying all day."  I also had a full on panic attack at one point, which is not my norm even when I am extremely anxious. 

Started the cross taper to Zoloft on 2/26. A month later on 3/26, I reported to him that the Zoloft had "helped some. I am having more good days, but I still have days where I can’t get off the couch." But I had experienced a return of severe bruxism which had been a big problem for me and had somehow "magically" gotten better as the Lexapro "pooped out."  It was because of that, I asked for a different option and was offered the Cymbalta. 

Another factor, I realize now, that needs to be considered, is that for the past 4 years or so, I had developed the habit of smoking marijuana in the evenings. Somewhere around the end of March, beginning of April (so while I was on the Zoloft), I decided to stop.  I wasn't enjoying it so much anymore, and I knew it was contributing to my lack of motivation and brain fog. What's interesting is that while I was on the Lexapro, I was concerned I was addicted to it, because I didn't think I could stop.  As of right now, I have zero interest in taking up the habit again. I am also finding myself not enjoying alcohol either.  Tried a glass of wine the other night, didn't like it, didn't want more. 

I know that stopping long-term marijuana use can have withdrawal symptoms. What I don't know is how it interacts with SSRI's and the combined effects on the neurotransmitters? But it is interesting that my intense craving for it dissipated while I was on the Zoloft.

My status now, is that I had a very productive day yesterday with good mood and energy. I also have a doctor's appointment later today to examine a lump. This is something that in the past could have easily set me over the edge. Fear of cancer is one of my greatest health anxiety challenges.  However, while I want it checked out, I am not super freaked out about it.  Small thing, but it is important. I have ruined family vacations in the past obsessing about cancer.

However, despite being very sleepy (something which doesn't always happen), I couldn't fall asleep until after 2:30 am because of restless leg. Each time I would almost drift off, my leg would be "restless." I also had a bad migraine which no amount of Advil or Tylenol seemed to want to touch. I usually link RLS to my electrolyte levels and usually getting up and having a glass of milk and a banana or taking some (Natural Calm, magnesium carbonate) will be enough to calm it enough to sleep. But not last night. I have been taking Natural Calm most nights for awhile now, and my potassium snack didn't help either. I also use a Magnesium Oil spray and often take Epsom salt baths to try and maintain my magnesium levels. Confident I have "leaky gut" which means my body does not absorb dietary magnesium very well. I am working on healing that as well and have gut out gluten and most dairy.

Anyway, I am rambling. Current status is my mood is better than it's been in a long while.  My brain is much clearer. However, sleep is still an issue. I have an appointment with my ND on Wednesday. I am going to get his opinion on whether I should restart or carry on and see what options there are to support this process. I am also going to get started back with acupuncture and cranial sacral therapy (both have helped me before), now that I am partially vaccinated (2nd does beginning of May).

So, I think I'm leaning against reinstatement at this time, unless there is something in that detailed recent history that you think screams I should reinstate? 

Also, any suggestions to manage insomnia and RSL would be appreciated as well.

Thank you so much for this forum and your time. So frustrating that we have to figure this all out ourselves and that psychiatrists are of very little help. I'm sure you have saved many lives.

Also night sweats. Forgot to mention the night sweats keeping me up, depleting electrolytes . . . .

• Moderator Emeritus

5 hours ago, Callietallie said:

Current status is my mood is better than it's been in a long while.  My brain is much clearer. However, sleep is still an issue.

From this, it sounds as if you are slowly improving, even though you still have some issues.  I personally don't see anything that screams that you need reinstatement. Reinstatement can be risky and works in some cases, but can cause problems in other cases. 

I understand how difficult it is when you can't sleep well.  This has also been an issue for me in withdrawal.  However it continues to improve gradually and slowly, in fits and starts (windows and waves).  So I believe it will for you, too. What helps me is to listen to relaxing music on Spotify with earbuds (my husband doesn't share my musical escapades at night 😉). There is a harp music playlist that is over 14 hours long, that is very soothing and relaxing for me.  Here is a link with more info about natural ways to help sleep:  

Tips to Help Sleep

I don't know much about RLS.  Perhaps another moderator can chime in on this.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been almost 10 days since my last post, and I am struggling . . . hard. My jerks and restless leg continue and I am getting very little sleep, which is causing me to have so much anxiety about not sleeping. I do not do well with bodily symptoms, it's what causes my anxiety in the first place. I am alternately shaky as if I'm cold, and then I sweat.  Over and over again.  Then there are these waves of muscle jerking as I start to drift off to sleep. I just resorted to taking a Xanax for the first time in a couple weeks. I've been afraid to take one because the thought of being really drowsy and still not being able to sleep because of the muscle jerking was anxiety provoking in and of itself. Feels like I'm in hell.  I realize I am hyper-emotional right now, but that's how it feels.  I am so tired and can't sleep.

I am considering reinstating at a low dose, so I can do a proper taper. My last Zoloft, 50 mg, was one April 2. I was only on 100 mg Zoloft for a month, but I had started not reacting well to the Lexapro. I don't know what to do, I'm so afraid I've messed up my neural system beyond repair.

Anyway, what dosage of Zoloft would you recommend going back to?  50 mg?

Thank you.

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, Callietallie said:

Anyway, what dosage of Zoloft would you recommend going back to?  50 mg?

I would not suggest jumping back on at 50 mg. You have been off of it for 27 days, and your nervous system has made some changes, so jumping back on this big a dose could possibly destabilize you further and make things worse.  We generally suggest reinstating to a very small initial dose at first, to see how your system handles the change. I would suggest reinstating to 5 mg of Zoloft.  It takes about 7 days for you to feel any changes in your symptoms from this.  Let us know how you feel at this time. We will take it from there. This link will help you know how to dose a small amount: 

Tapering Zoloft

Please read the link in my first post about reinstatement, if you haven't already.  🙂

" My last Zoloft, 50 mg, was one April 2" 

Please update your drug signature with any changes to your doses, thanks. 

Edited by getofflex

Thank you.  

Any tips for negotiating dosages with your prescriber?  On the one hand he generally just goes along with what I ask, but I'm not sure how supportive he will be with prescribing the lower dosages so I can reinstate and taper.  Because, you know, these  I'm having are not withdrawal, but just my anxiety coming back. I can just see him sitting there very smugly with his all knowing smile meaning "I knew it wouldn't work."  Just like my appointment with a PCP yesterday about my suddenly high blood pressure which couldn't possibly be related to stopping the SSRI. 

Do they know the torture they've put us through and don't care? or do they really believe they are right and we are misguided?  

Anyway, trying to take it day by day, but I am getting worn down from not sleeping. Feels like rushes and rushes of adrenaline causing my body to twitch, jerk and shake, then hot flashes come and I sweat profusely, and we start again.

Again, I am rambling.  Thanks again for any insight and further suggestions.

• Moderator Emeritus

Only you live with your mind and body.  The doctor doesn't have to. You have the right to decide what you do with your drugs.  Doctors are shamefully ignorant of the issue of withdrawal from psych meds.  Some of them are arrogant, and think they know more than their patients.  There are some good articles about psych med withdrawal that you could share with your doctor.   This thread goes into the issue of how to talk to your doctor about this issue, and has some links to some good articles to show him/her. 

How to Talk to a Doctor About Tapering and Withdrawal

The other option is to find another doctor.  

I know how hard it is when you can't sleep, and deal with the hot flashes.  These were issues for me as well, and still are, but to a lesser degree.  

Let us know if you decide to do the reinstatement, and how it goes if you do.  Hang in there, this will eventually pass.  

• Administrator

Zoloft comes in liquid form so you can measure small doses. Ask your doctor specifically for the liquid.

On 4/19/2021 at 8:21 AM, Callietallie said:

Started the cross taper to Zoloft on 2/26. A month later on 3/26, I reported to him that the Zoloft had "helped some. I am having more good days, but I still have days where I can’t get off the couch." But I had experienced a return of severe bruxism which had been a big problem for me and had somehow "magically" gotten better as the Lexapro "pooped out."  It was because of that, I asked for a different option and was offered the Cymbalta. 

The bruxism was a sign that the dosage of the SSRI -- Zoloft or Lexapro -- is too high.

Please note: We are not after treating "depression" here, we want to reduce withdrawal symptoms so you can stabilize and taper off.

Thank you both. He's not a bad guy, I think, my psychiatrist, and if I decide to reinstate he will likely be ok with it. It's just frustrating that they have so much control.

I am coming to the conclusion that my too-fast taper has been very hard on my adrenals, which I have had issues with before.  I also don't think I've mentioned earlier, but we have been getting our house of 25 years ready to sell this past month.  My husband had to do vast majority of the work, because I wasn't able to do much, but I did push myself more than I should have.  Not good timing on my part, but it seemed to be what the universe wanted me to do. But it means extra stress for my adrenals in addition to the physical stress of stopping too quickly. So, I'm working to address that and keeping things slow and simple.  The house is on the market as of yesterday and I am confident it will sell quickly, which will be a big relief and stress reducer.

I finally broke down and used a Xanax the other night which helped the sleep immensely.  I'm not planning on using it every night, my goal is still to be med free, but I figure every 3-4 nights if I'm still not sleeping well is a reasonable use for now.  

Thanks again, it so helpful to be able to come here for advice, perspective and support.

• Moderator Emeritus
21 hours ago, Callietallie said:

I finally broke down and used a Xanax the other night which helped the sleep immensely.  I'm not planning on using it every night, my goal is still to be med free, but I figure every 3-4 nights if I'm still not sleeping well is a reasonable use for now.

Just be very careful.  If it were me, I would do this on a short term basis, as I think you indicated.  They are quite addictive.  Here is a link about using benzos during withdrawal. 

Using Benzos During Withdrawal

21 hours ago, Callietallie said:

if I decide to reinstate he will likely be ok with it. It's just frustrating that they have so much control.

I'm glad to hear this.  Yes, I understand your frustration, because they can control whether or not we get the drugs we need to taper.  

Have you started the Zoloft reinstatement yet?  

Edited by getofflex

It's the weekend, so I haven't started reinstatement yet because I was going to talk to my Psych.  Still taking it day by day.  

I will do a search, but any links to info on using GABA supplements to deal with the anxiety?  Or links on ways to increase your GABA naturally?  And yes, I am trying to be very careful with the Benzo, because I really don't want to go down that road.  As I said, it's never been an issue for me, but given that my system is so hyper-sensitive right now, who knows?

Also, any links about blood pressure?  Mine is up quite a bit after years of being well controlled.  MD has increased one of my meds, but it's not really doing anything.  And, I have a very full, pulse-y feeling in my head that doesn't seem to go away, which makes me start to spiral with health anxiety around caridovascular things.  Sigh.

Thanks, as always.

• Moderator Emeritus

Just a heads up, your psychiatrist may try to convince you to go back on a full dose of the meds.  I've seen this happen to many people in here, and often it has made their withdrawal situation worse.  Mostly, all these docs know how to do is dispense pills.  In fact, one who I knew personally actually said she felt like a Pez candy dispenser.  No kidding, she did say this.  

You can do a google search "survivingantidepressants.org GABA" for example.  Just type in the url, and then what you are looking for after it.  

GABA

High Blood Pressure

There are several other threads here on blood pressure. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would update since it has been a couple weeks.

I am mostly doing ok, thankfully, at least for now. My mood is ok. Health anxiety is trying to gain hold, but I’ve been able to cope. I have a strange sense of “everything feels wrong” at times, which is, I’m sure exasperated by the fact that we moved out of our home of 25 years during this process. 

The RLS/jerks as I fall asleep, which has been my most vexing symptom, have gotten better. Some nights they don’t bother me at all, other nights they do, but at least I’m getting some sleep. Not sleeping and being anxious about not sleeping was becoming a vicious cycle, so on nights when it flares I remind myself that I can still sleep. 

I must confess that I am very fortunate to have a very supportive husband whose job has excellent health insurance and who earns enough for me to not have to work. I also have the means to afford alternative care which is helping me cope with symptoms. For those going through this with a job and/or children my heart goes out to you. 

Things that are helping:

Specific supplements my ND recommended based on muscle testing. He tried lots of things but in the end only suggested 3. One is a trace mineral compound, a sublingual B12 (I have MTHFR for those who may know what that is) and the other is a RNA compound. He also tested a choline and zinc supplement I had been taking on my own. He said my body seemed to not want a whole lot thrown at it, just some extra support. 

I had been taking a fish oil/vitamin D combo, but I did my own version of “home” muscle testing and my body did not like it. So I tried testing separately and it turns out it didn’t like the vitamin D (which I had been taking pretty regularly to boost my immune system because of Covid). So I’m only taking the fish oil for now. 

I took GABA at night for my leg issues. It helped, but as of right now I don't seem to need it. 

I found a new acupuncturist and have had 2 treatments so far. The first was a bit too stimulating so he changed tactic a bit for the second one and it settled much better. I have had adrenal fatigue on the past and it very much feels like they are super sensitive right now. 

Speaking of adrenals, I also started an ashwaganda tincture to support them. 

I also had a very nice massage/cranial sacral session which is very calming for me. 

I try to walk and meditate each day and have weekly sessions with a new therapist. 

oh, magnesium. I take magnesium glycinate in the evening, use a magnesium oil spray after my shower and take Epsom salt baths most nights. 

so having said all that, it’s a lot of self care, but it seems to be working. My mantra is to keep my body as calm as possible. My main issues now are:

high blood pressure - upping another one of my preexisting meds for that. 
temperature dysregulation - so much sweating 

lack of appetite - I’ve lost about 7 pounds since this started. I’m overweight, so it’s not a bad thing, but I have to force myself to eat to keep my blood sugar stable so my adrenals stay calm. 

Thanks for this site. It is so good to know I’m not alone and to get sound advice. And to be able to record my progress and any future waves that will inevitably crop up. 

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, Callietallie said:

so having said all that, it’s a lot of self care, but it seems to be working. My mantra is to keep my body as calm as possible.

This is very good!  It sounds like you are doing a lot of good work to take care of yourself. Thanks for keeping us posted. 

• 2 months later...

Wow, it's been 3 months since my last post.  I wanted to update for myself, so I can come back and see my progress, and also to ask about some symptoms I am having.  Trying to figure out if they are withdrawal related or not.

I had a rather long window where I was doing quite well, but some famissues arose with my 23 year old daughter and her mental health that threw me for a loop. The stress of helping her through her situation, caused my anxiety to flare a few weeks ago. It has alternated between general thoughts of dread and panic that "something is wrong" and will sometimes settle in on one bodily symptom and obsess about it.  Also, while my sleep hasn't been great during all of this, it has definitely gotten a bit worse lately.  Instead of just waking up every 1 to 1.5 hours throughout the night and going back to sleep, now I wake up with racing thoughts that can take a long time to settle enough to get back to sleep.

Leading up to the situation that has triggered a relapse, I had slacked off of my self-care.  So I am restarting acupuncture, making an appointment with my ND to see what he has to say, trying to start a meditation practice.  I have been taking some supplements, but not as regularly as I should, so I need to get back to that.

Anyway, I am coping, but have a couple questions:

1.  Coincidental with this relapse is brain fog. Some mornings/days it's just so hard to think clearly, which triggers my anxiety because my mother has dementia and the thought of going down that road is very scary to me.  I am telling myself that since it comes and goes, it is likely my brain re-wiring itself as it continues to adjust to the lack of medication. Does that explanation make any sense?

2.  The other issue I am having is with tingling in my calves and feet. Parathesia?  On the heels of stopping the SSRI, my blood pressure was elevated and my doctor has been adjusting my BP meds. She has increased the dosage of 2 existing meds (Losartan and Hydrochlorothiazide) and added a third (Amlodipine). It was with the increase of the diuretic (Hydrochhlorothiazide) that I noticed a significant increase in my leg pain/tingling issues. I reduced it back down and the sensations go much better, but did not completely go away.  I also got my Covid Vax around the same time, so who knows what's really going on with my vascular system. Anyway, any thoughts on my leg tingling.  Feels like it could be a withdrawal symptom, or it could be a medication side effect?  Really hard to suss out the cause, so I can figure out which way to go for relief.

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

Question — can digestive issues, specifically lack of appetite, appear as a wave or withdrawal symptom 5 months after stopping basically cold turkey?

after being quite stable, my anxiety returned in august, followed by a very upsetting family situation a few weeks ago. The family situation sent my stomach into knots and though the situation is mostly resolved and it’s not all “knotted” anymore, I have very little appetite and get “full” very quickly. Health anxiety is a big trigger for me, so my mind is racing to all kinds of other scary causes. 

I looked back in my thread and noticed I reported loss of appetite in the beginning, but it had resolved. 

Thanks. 

• Moderator Emeritus
17 hours ago, Callietallie said:

Question — can digestive issues, specifically lack of appetite, appear as a wave or withdrawal symptom 5 months after stopping basically cold turkey?

Yes, this is quite common in WD in both situations your mention, as are the symptoms you mentioned in your previous post.  Also, the stress of the family situation can exacerbate WD, and just stomach trouble in general.  

Try doing a google search on

survivingantidepressants.org stomach

survivingantidepressants.org health anxiety
survivingantidepressants.org brain fog

survivingantidepressants.org tingling

etc, and you will find threads in here on these topics. 

Edited by getofflex

Thank you very much for your reassurance.  I do try searching this site, but it often comes up with individual situations, rather than a specific thread just related to that topic, if that makes sense.  Anyway, I appreciate you moderators who can give a quick, yes, this is a common part of withdrawal.  So again, many thanks.

Hello @Callietallie, although we of course have different individual histories I find myself relating a lot to some of your symptoms. I also took SSRIs for health anxiety, and withdrawal definitely has been challenging it, as you reported there are so many weird issues that come and go with withdrawal. Appetite fluctuations are very common, I'd say. Stomach knots truly set in easily.

I hope life is treating you better and that you can take care of yourself. Just wanted to drop by to send you support and hopefully reassure you as you definitely aren't alone experiencing those symptoms a few months in. Take care!

Better days are ahead. If you read this and are still struggling - hang in there. It'll be worth it. My success story: I recovered from Escitalopram withdrawal.

Aug 2017 - May 2018 -> Escitalopram 10 mg. 

Nov 2018 - Jan 2021 -> Escitalopram 10 mg. Feb 2021 - 5 mg.  Feb-March 2021 - 5 mg, one day out of two.

Since March 13th, 2021 -> Escitalopram 0 mg. Withdrawal appeared 1 week after last dose.

Profile image: Edward Robert Hughes' "Night"

Thank you @siderale for your kind words and encouragement.  Outside situations have stabilized thankfully, but now I just need my body/mind to realize this and calm down.  Sigh.  Just taking things one day at a time.  Again, thanks for your message, I really appreciate it.

• 1 month later...

So, I am in a really bad wave right now.  Feeling discouraged and scared that I have messed up my CNS completely.  I could really use some reassurance that my body still has the capacity to heal, and also some specific suggestions for my current issues.

When I first quit basically CT in April, one of my most vexing symptoms was really bad restless leg/myclonus jerks when I was trying to sleep. The only thing I found that helped was smoking a little bit of weed, something I had also recently stopped after 4 years of daily use.  At the time, I chose the weed to help me sleep, fearing that a lack of sleep would impede my CNS ability to heal itself. Recently, though, my system was not liking the weed anymore. My restless leg/jerks hadn't returned, but just in general, I didn't like it anymore.  I also don't seem to have any tolerance for alcohol anymore either (which was never a daily thing). So, about 3.5 weeks ago I stopped smoking weed, and it has sent me into a spiral because the restless leg/jerks are back and I am getting very little sleep.  Somehow, after about 4 am, they calm down enough for me to get at least 2-3 hours of sleep, not in one stretch though.

And to clarify, I don't know if restless leg/myclonus jerks are actually what are happening.  It's like I get these surges of energy, primarily on my left side, emanating from my pelvis. I have issues with my SI joint there, and it has been badly inflamed lately, and it feels like it comes from there.  Spreads down to my knee and up to my chest.  Sometimes makes me shiver a bit.  Doesn't last long, but happens over and over. If the window in between is long enough I can drift off for about 15-30 minutes, but then it wakes me up again.  Often accompanied by hot flashes.

This past week I babysat my grandson and had to get up at 6 am, thereby missing half of the 4-8 am window where I actually could get some sleep, and the accumulated effect of not sleeping, plus a bizarre episode of abdominal pain that has trigger my health anxiety, and pain from my SI joint, have me reeling.

It feels like my CNS is hyper sensitive right now.  For example, I did about 40 minutes of meditation, was feeling super relaxed.  Got up, switched the laundry, then did some light physical therapy exercises for my SI joint.  After that I could feel my nerves in my thighs tingling, and my anxiety spiked all over. It's a bit calmer now, but it seems any little thing will set me off.

I have tried reading through the sleep links, and am considering going out and getting some melatonin, but I am concerned that it will make me super sleepy, but that I still won't be able to sleep because of the jerks.  And honestly, it's almost worse to be really sleepy and not be able to sleep, than to be regular sleepy and not be able to sleep.  I am clearly stuck in the loop of minutae. I have been taking Magnesium each night before bed, which helps general restless energy, but doesn't seem to be helping the restless leg/jerks.  I've also tried GABA, but I can't tell if that helps or not.

I appreciate any help and reassurance.

• 1 month later...

Dizziness

I am now 8 months after my last SSRI dose after a too short, nearly cold turkey taper. After typical initial withdrawal symptoms, I had been mostly doing ok with mild waves that I could handle. But for the past 6 weeks I have been dealing with lots of GI issues that have caused my anxiety to spiral very badly. I have had multiple tests done and they cannot find any reason for my symptoms. I have appointment with a gastroenterologist next week.

Anyway, because of this I have been eating very little and have lost 10 pounds this past month. Now, I am experiencing dizziness. Similar to brain zaps, but more dizzy, almost room spinning when I move my head around. My health anxiety is having a field day with this new symptom. 

Is it possible to experience this dizziness as part of a wave 8 months after last dose?

Hi @Callietallie, I am almost 9 months off and I've had around 2 months (sept-oct) with clear improvement and I had no new symptoms. Now it's been ~2 weeks I experience symptoms again, and dizziness is indeed one of them: I also stress about it (health anxiety). It comes with a feeling of the floor being unsteady under my feet, and sort of cold sweats that come and go. When I had my period it made everything ten times worse, but even now, with my period gone, I do have dizzy spells, sometimes even when I'm sitting down and not doing anything.

When I focus on it it gets worse. So when I do feel dizzy I either go lie down or take a hot shower if doable. If I'm at work/outside, I do breathing exercises and remind myself that the cause isn't physical. However, for you, as you've been eating less, it probably doesn't help: try to always have something to eat, or some sugar if you like it, nearby. I find that it helps. I also lost A LOT of weight during WD, that I am very slowly putting back.

This will subside. I believe it is a very common symptom, even months late. But it will go away!

Take care, I am sending you all the warm thoughts I can.

Better days are ahead. If you read this and are still struggling - hang in there. It'll be worth it. My success story: I recovered from Escitalopram withdrawal.

Aug 2017 - May 2018 -> Escitalopram 10 mg. 

Nov 2018 - Jan 2021 -> Escitalopram 10 mg. Feb 2021 - 5 mg.  Feb-March 2021 - 5 mg, one day out of two.

Since March 13th, 2021 -> Escitalopram 0 mg. Withdrawal appeared 1 week after last dose.

Profile image: Edward Robert Hughes' "Night"

Thank you so much for your response. It is nice to feel not alone in this. And, yes, the health anxiety that comes with all of this is my biggest challenge. I so relate to that.

Realized I had taken a Zofran for some nausea the night before the dizziness started which I have never taken before. I looked it up and it works on the Seratonin system somehow, and dizziness and headache (which I also had) are not uncommon side effects. I think since my nervous system is hyper sensitive right now as it tries to heal, it caused the dizziness.  It's pretty much gone today, thankfully, but was super scary and frustrating.  I should know better than to take something without researching it first.

Anyway, thank you so much for your response. I hope your dizziness gets better soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey @Callietallie I’m just curious to see how you’re feeling now and how the energy surges are doing? I suffer from a similar issue where right as I’m about to fall asleep I experience I surge of what I can best describe as warm anxious energy that starts below both sides of my rib cage and radiates up my chest, over my heart, and sometimes down my left arm and into my neck/jaw.

These happen over and over again, every time I’m about to bridge the gap between being asleep and awake. It often makes me jump up or gasp for breath but my heart rate does not increase at all. It literally feels like someone is injecting me with something, like I can physically feel the energy surge radiate through these parts of my body. 

Its so frustrating and hard to deal with. I’m doing my best to just relax into them and let the sensations occur but it is definitely a challenge. I first developed this symptom last winter and had them every night for a few months. These eventually went away but came back with a vengeance about a month ago, after I revived my covid booster  shot. They seem to be getting worse lately, along with the internal buzzing. 

I’m so sorry you are dealing with a similar issue as I know how horrible they are and how they make it almost impossible to sleep. I’ve been trying yoga nidra meditations every night as I can’t stand the room the be completely quiet. This makes me feel a little less anxious but honestly I haven’t found much that works to alleviate this symptom this time around. 

Please update us on how you’re doing and I’d love to know if you have found anything that helps relieve this symptom. 

Wishing you all the best and continuous healing, health and happiness. 

-Mary

Prozac: 20-40mg from 2006-2019. Zoloft: 2003-2005 off and on. Adderall XR: 20-50mg (abused so took more than prescribed often) 2006-2016. Amphetamine Salts 2006-2016 10-20mg (abused). Ativan: 2009-2010 1mg. Suboxone 16mg sublingual strips 2013-2016. Vyvanse: mg? (abused) 2014-2015. Alprazolam: December 2018- June 2019 1-2mg (abused). Diazepam: June 2019-November 2019 mg? (used to taper me off of Xanax). Lexapro: 2018-September 2020 10-20mg. Mitrazapine 30mg: Nov 2019-May 2020 (tapered off over 3 months) Trintillex: May 2019-December 2019 (mg?). Hormonal birth control 2003-2019.

Lexapro: 11/30/21- 12/2/21 - .5mg; 12/11/21 - 12/12/21 - 2.5mg 

Ativan: 12/11/21 - .5mg; 12/12/21 - .25mg 

supplements (current):

Morning: 400mg L-Theanine, 375mg magnesium.

Night:  450mg Valerian Root, 2.5mg Melatonin

Hi Mary,

They have, thankfully, resolved. What I think helped was B12/Folate shots from my Naturopath. I will specify though, that I have something called MTHFR, which is a gene mutation that affects the methylation process. Basically, I don't methylate well which can cause heart disease, migraines, and mood issues. Children with with ADHD often have this mutation as well.  Which means that the B12 shots are "methylated" forms of B12 and folate, regular ones would not be helpful for me and could actually make things worse.  Folic Acid, for example, which is added to a lot of things, and is not the proper form for me (I need folate), actually plugs up the receptors making whatever actual folate I might consume harder to absorb.

Anyway, I don't know if you've ever been tested for this, but it is only a simple blood test. Might be worth looking into. There is a host of information about it online. My naturopath also practices something called Applied kinesiology (AK), also known as muscle testing. He has me hold an arm straight out and resist his attempts to push it down to my side. He then touches various body parts with or without holding up a vitamin, supplement or other nutrient up against me to see what makes my resistance stronger or weaker. For example, when I first went off my SSRI, he tested a variety of things on me and in the end only suggested 2 things. He said my body wanted very little "extra" things at the time, just some small support.  One of the things it reacted positively to and he prescribed was methylated B12. Not sure where you live, but I highly recommend this type of help. You can do basically the same thing yourself by standing up straight, holding a vitamin or food up to your belly, centering your energy, relaxing and asking your body if whatever you are holding makes you stronger. If the answer is yes, you will gently sway forwards.  If the answer is no, you will gently sway backwards.  You can "calibrate" your responses first by asking other yes no questions you know the answer to.  Your name, things you know are bad for you.

I have followed your posts some as you have gone on your journey and some other thoughts or suggestions come to mind.  It seems to me your central nervous system is hyper sensitive right now. You have mentioned hot yoga, but I have to wonder if that is too stimulating for you. Perhaps you can switch to a more gentle form of yoga. Even just walking every day, outside, in nature can be healing. Then of course there is diet. Not sure what your diet is like, but healing your gut could be a good place to start. I have cut out gluten (pretty much all grains at this point), sugar and dairy, and am focusing on eating lots and lots of fruits and vegetables, with some animal protein, and I feel much better. There is also something called the antihistamine diet, that has helped some people with mood disorders.

I also wonder if you have tried any energetic medicine modalities?  Cranial Sacral? Acupuncture? Reiki? Homeopathy?  Sound bowls? Shamanic healing? Another suggestion that comes to mind is an astrology reading from a good astrologer.  I have studied astrology forever, and have recently really delved further into it. It really helps me understand why I am the way I am, and gives me tools to work with my tendencies, rather than fight against them. There is a branch of astrology called medical astrology that could also be helpful, but honestly getting to the root of your anxiety seems necessary.  For me, my health anxiety, is ultimately a fear of death because my limiting beliefs that I am not good enough for God/Spirit/Universe to actually love me means that my belief in an afterlife is not real and when I die I will be alone.  Anyway, that's just me and what I have been able to figure out for myself using lots of meditation, journaling and intuition, as well as really examining my birth chart.  All of that may or may not resonate with you, but just thought I'd throw it out there.  I feel that going off my SSRI after 20+ years was divinely inspired. I had no plans to do it when I did, it just sort of happened.  It has bee a long 9+ months since I did, many sleepless nights in the beginning, lots of tears (especially during my weekly Jungian therapy sessions), episodes of intense health anxiety, leading to multiple tests and doctors appointments, but ultimately, I am getting through and feeling much better emotionally and physically. I am learning to love my body and not fear it, to understand it is a divine container of my spirit, capable of much healing, strength and joy when I care for it properly. Having my emotions tamped down while medicated, prevented me from finding this connection, so I am very grateful for whatever force helped me do it.  And next week, I might find myself in another wave, but I have increasing confidence I can get through it.

It sounds like your journey has been much rougher than mine. I see you. I see how hard you are fighting to get better, I send you all the blessings in the world that you will find your way and continue to heal. At the beginning of my journey as I was starting to walk everyday through some wetlands, I would often seen random animals cross my path, a turtle one day, lots of dragonflies, a snake. I looked them all up and they all basically said, slow and steady and metamorphosis. I hold those messages with me.

If you have any questions about all the stuff I spewed at you above, feel free to reach out again.  Take care.

@MaryMoo429  Just realized I didn't tag you in my response above.  So tagging you here.

@Callietallie Thank you for your response it was so incredibly helpful to read. I really needed to read that, it actually made me cry. I’ve been so stressed with many of these symptoms lately, especially the nightly energy surges and the internal buzzing.

That is so interesting about the MTHFR, I’ve honestly never even heard of it. Did you have any symptoms that flagged your doctor to test for this or was it just all part of the normal testing he does? I have my first appointment ever with a naturopath next week and it can’t come soon enough. 

As far as the yoga goes, I have tried gentler yoga but don’t like it as much and actually have had panic attacks in these classes. I also was doing acupuncture for 10 months (up until this past July) and I loved it and really loved the woman who worked with me, but when I got a new job with new insurance, I was no longer covered and I can’t afford the $120 out of pocket expense. Such a bummer too because this was really beneficial. 

the astrology reading sounds cool and like something I would be into. No idea where to find anyone who does this though. I have not been able to stop fearing my body and thinking that something is physically wrong and that I am dying. I had a crying meltdown last night where I told my mom how much I truly believe that there is something wrong with me that the doctors have missed and that I am going to die. Like you I have a very intense fear of death that only complicates my health anxiety and makes it totally insurmountable.  

I do appreciate you taking the time to get back to me with such helpful information and am wishing you all the best in your journey to health and recovery. ❤️🙏

Prozac: 20-40mg from 2006-2019. Zoloft: 2003-2005 off and on. Adderall XR: 20-50mg (abused so took more than prescribed often) 2006-2016. Amphetamine Salts 2006-2016 10-20mg (abused). Ativan: 2009-2010 1mg. Suboxone 16mg sublingual strips 2013-2016. Vyvanse: mg? (abused) 2014-2015. Alprazolam: December 2018- June 2019 1-2mg (abused). Diazepam: June 2019-November 2019 mg? (used to taper me off of Xanax). Lexapro: 2018-September 2020 10-20mg. Mitrazapine 30mg: Nov 2019-May 2020 (tapered off over 3 months) Trintillex: May 2019-December 2019 (mg?). Hormonal birth control 2003-2019.

Lexapro: 11/30/21- 12/2/21 - .5mg; 12/11/21 - 12/12/21 - 2.5mg 

Ativan: 12/11/21 - .5mg; 12/12/21 - .25mg 

supplements (current):

Morning: 400mg L-Theanine, 375mg magnesium.

Night:  450mg Valerian Root, 2.5mg Melatonin

• 4 months later...

Well, it has been over a year since my basically CT - fast taper after 20 years of SSRI.  I had mostly stabilized until this February when dental issues started -- cracked tooth, delay in treatment, botched crown, root canal and now more work needed on other teeth, per new dentist I went to for second opinion. Meanwhile, the main tooth with the root canal continues to be sore. Not severe pain, but constant low level pain. All of this has restarted my chronic teeth grinding which had been better since stopping meds, which is making it hard for the tooth to heal. I have severe dental anxiety from childhood dental trauma and overall strong fear response to pain in general. The length of this ordeal, plus an exposure to Covid which had me in extreme panic about not being able to see a dentist if my pain got severe should I come down with it, sent me over the edge. My husband has had to take a leave of absence from work to care for me. I'm just a mess and at my wits end. The Covid scare is no longer an issue, but I continue to be anxious and depressed, my HPA axis is shot, I have no appetite and am losing too much weight. I can't seem to get my equilibrium back.

I am doing my best to up my self care. I'm walking about every other day, trying to meditate, I eat well when I do eat (no gluten or dairy, fruits and veg, lean protein). Resting as much as possible. Weekly therapist appointments. Haven't tried acupuncture in a while.

I am wondering about reinstating at a low dose to try to stabilize so I can do a slow taper after my dental issues have resolved. Can you do that after 14 months off? What would the kindlilng risks be? It's kinda my last resort, but I am miserable right now.

TIA for any guidance or suggestions.