Amanda23: Windows and waves

Amanda23

Hi everyone! I've been off mirtazipine for 5 months. I am looking for some reassurance. For the last few weeks I'm feeling terrible. Completely exhausted, extremely anxious, bouts of sadness, dizziness, headaches, random physical symptoms. Its making me feel like something is wrong with me, which is not helping my anxiety at all. Since getting off mirtazipine my panic attacks have actually decreased. But my prn panic attack medication doesn't work the same anymore. I was getting hopeful of seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. But the last few months I feel like my improvement has turned into 10 steps back. Someone please explain this to me and reassure me. Thanks

Edited by Gridley
Typo

March 2020- started mirtazipine 7.5 for panic attacks 

April 2020- DR increased me to 15mg

June 2020- was told to completely discontinue

5 days later- horrible w/d, 2 days later reinstated at original dose

August 2020- decreased to 7.5

October 2020- following doctors advice I started an alternating taper schedule because I wanted to get off completely. I did it for 1-2 weeks before stopping altogether

2020-present- given 1mg Ativan PRN for severe panic attacks which I take infrequently. Since discontinuing mirtazipine they don't give me the same relief. Once I got worse, all other times it helped a nominal amount as compared to before where it would make it much much better

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Amanda23.  I'm sorry you're feeling so bad.  It will get better as time passes, and our experience here on this site is that we do all heal.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  A list format is best.  Please include the dates and rate of your Mirtazapine taper and the dose you were on when you stopped five months ago.  Please also include the dosage and name of your panic attack medication.  When you say it doesn't work the same way as it did before, what is the difference in the way it works now as opposed to before?

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

The symptoms you describe are typical of psychiatric drug withdrawal.  So that you have a better idea of what you're experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal and the healing process.

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well.

Depending on the severity of your symptoms, you might want to consider reinstatement of a very small dose of Mirtazapine.  Reinstatement is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal symptoms.  It works most dependably when done within 3 months after your last dose.  You're two months beyond that, so it might work or it might not.  The alternative is to wait out the symptoms, but there's no way to predict how long they will take to abate.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

If you're interested in reinstatement, please let us know and we can suggest a dosage to reinstate.  Then, after you've stabilized, which can take several months, we can help you very slowly taper off the reinstated dose.   Please do not reinstate without letting us suggest a dosage.  Reinstating too much can destabilize you further.  

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Gridley changed the title to Amanda23: Windows and waves

1+Hi Gridley, 

Thanks for replying. Right now it's just so hard to not let the symptoms get the better of me. I almost couldn't believe 5 months out this would be the cause. I won't restart because of the side effects I've had in the past. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance. The dizziness, fatigue, anxiety specifically around health, and headaches are the worst symptoms. I did a quick taper. I jumped off at 7.5. My DR told me to skip doses every other night for 1 week then every 2 nights for 1 week and so on. I started having issues after a few weeks so I just stopped. My prn is Ativan 1mg. I barely take it, like I said it doesn't help like it did before the mirtazipine taper/end. It used to take away panic attacks and related physical symptoms. One time it made me worse and the last few months it just barely takes the edge off or makes me tired which it never used to. I had some hope because I improved around the 2 month mark and the last 2 I've slid backwards which has been confusing and disheartening to say the least. 

March 2020- started mirtazipine 7.5 for panic attacks 

April 2020- DR increased me to 15mg

June 2020- was told to completely discontinue

5 days later- horrible w/d, 2 days later reinstated at original dose

August 2020- decreased to 7.5

October 2020- following doctors advice I started an alternating taper schedule because I wanted to get off completely. I did it for 1-2 weeks before stopping altogether

2020-present- given 1mg Ativan PRN for severe panic attacks which I take infrequently. Since discontinuing mirtazipine they don't give me the same relief. Once I got worse, all other times it helped a nominal amount as compared to before where it would make it much much better