SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Mafiamaaz: Lexapro and my experience with it need advice from you all

Mafiamaaz

Hey my name is Hammad I'm from Pakistan and im new to this community,  I've read the rules and i find this community quite help ful , because all of this information is not given by our health professionals for some reason so most of us come to the internet to investigate. This discussion website is a very good way to share , get advice and get to know  alot of stuff  that we wouldn't know otherwise from somewhere else  . 

Hey my name is Hammad I'm from Pakistan but lived in UAE all life but shifted back to Pakistan 4 years ago ) and im new to this community,  as after my first post i would like to share my story of my depression and my  on going state/experience of using Lexapro with you guys and might get some advice and hope from you all if possible , i know its always directed to go see a doctor and not ask from  people for help but im here to get some hope from you guy's experience with lexapro and how you'd coped with it . 

sorry if this post would be a bit long but i have to explain it somewhere lol my doctor won't listen to me for that long but here we go 

P.S( please I'd like to add that kindly with all respect don't reply with "go visit a doctor "   as i have been to 12 doctors and im not satisfied with any one of them ) (and sorry for my bad english as its not my first language)

So im 18 year old male (5'9 ,weight 65 kg ) some might call me fit and i don't argue with that , i might be fit from the outside but I'm definitely not from the inside 

I've always been through emotional troumas since i was a kid (like 9) i got bullied and  stalking by predators (lucky none of them did something to me physically but did effected me mentally)  i didn't share it with anyone and just kept it to myself which made it more worse .

As the time passed we moved to some other place out of that predator hole and i changed schools and i found it peaceful  to be out of there live freely without any fear but i was damaged and couldn't escape the fear actually ,this went on for years until when i was 14 and  got predators encounters  again they made me miserable and so hopeless i couldn't go out of my house because of the fear of being abducted. My life was just full of fear my parents are religious (moderate though) but still i had no courage or confident to share it with them , and when i think of it they might could've helped me in some way but who knows could've been the opposite. 

so due to these things i mentioned i became ultra introverted , didn't know what depression was that time butbi was definitely going through it and still am . when i was 16 my mother took me to some homeopathic clinic for a check up prolly because she thought i was physically weak and needed some medicine to make me healthy (which i was not i was just depressed and it was visible on the outside as well with my dull face)  we went to the clinic and he  checked me and without any tests he told me i have liver problems and I'd have to take " his medicine to get better again", my mother freaked out obviously i freaked out and when i came home i searched about liver problems and that gave rise to my first ever experience with health anxiety I'd spend a day searching symptoms feeling them physically freaking out again telling my mother I'd die and it went for months until i went to a real doctor and did some tests which came out normal and i felt good again . 

Years passed  i was still an anxious person with all that past history of emotional abuse  and now i had also developed health anxiety 

I'd just Google every single sensation I'd fe and google it and when the google would say im having certain type of (cancer , heart problem )

I'd get panic attacks  which i didn't know what were they exactly . 

i just wanted to say i don't how it feels being normal like im normal somedays but the other days are just worse nightmares im emotionally numb have no attraction to anything  i just force my self into doing thing so nobody rver notice that im this way 

I'd share more in my other post and im sorry that it was a long post to read but i tried my best to minimize all the spelling errors and grammatical errors so you guys can read it without any problem,

thanks if you read it all the way till here and please do let me know if you guy can help me if i share my other problems im dealing with currently with the antidepressants and love you all . 

hey you all  can i get some friendly advice as I'm going through the this WORSE situation

(i do visit my doctor but i want to hear your experiences )

so I was prescribed 10mg of Escitalopram after being diagnosed with health anxiety and panic attacks note that I'm only 18 .

At first i was nervous taking one then i somehow took the first dose at the morning i did get the side effects right away like being dry mouthed and bodily ache , the other day I didn't take any and went to the doctor .

He brushed it off by saying the aches were due to my poor posture but he did agreed on dry mouthed being an anxiety symptoms so then i started to take it again took it for 3 straight days and went cold turkey  because i was busy and forgot to take the med .

i then experienced other known side effects like brain zaps and jolts which lasted for a week , went to the doctor and he told me to not withdrawal it and take it with a flow (like every day) i then took it for 3 more days after which then i realized this tablet was not for me it made me feel dizzy , weird and restless like which i didn't had any before when i was not the medication .

I made a decision of not taking it anymore no matter how depressed or stressed i am.

As the day passed my withdrawal symptoms started to go away i kinda felt relaxed little did i know about the next morning

When i woke up i had that buzzing vibrating feeling in my body especially head it was hard to describe like it was not on the outside but rather i could feel it in the inside  it lasted for few hours and then went away , i had it for three days straight and i was annoyed i couldn't figure it as was causing it

the 3rd day when i got the tremor/buzzing sensation i decided to take the escitalopram again .It made me super drowsy that day and i was all sleepy

But the Suprize was the next day i didn't feel any of the tremors and shakiness and i thought it went away i didn't take any escitalopram and continued my day the passed and boom the next day  ! the tremors came again and its been three more days and they are still bothering me

it feels like my body is deseprate for a dose

.i went to a neuro physician he recommended me Librex and Pronalenol a beta blocker and told me to not be scared  i didn't take it as i was afraid of the side effects

So my concern is that i don't want to take any kind of Anti depressant again in my whole life as my experience has been the worst with them and have left me feeling miserable but i do want to end the tremor and buzzing feeling as well but without taking The escitalopram again .

Can you guys give me any hope of them getting away any time soon or should i freak out because if they are permanent and  i might not live normal again . Any friendly advice would be appreciated I'd be waiting for your reply

• getofflex changed the title to Mafiamaaz: Lexapro and my experience with it need advice from you all
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  I'm really sorry to hear that all of these terrible and traumatic things happened to you.  It makes me feel sad.  Being bullied and stalked are scary, and traumatic. It's so wonder you became anxious and depressed.  Are there therapists and counselors in your part of the world?  They can be a big help.  You might consider talking to one.  

Can you please give us specific information about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise list (no symptoms), only specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

From the description you have given me so far, it sounds like you were only on the drugs intermittently for about a week or two.  If this is the case, then fortunately, your system should not yet have become dependent upon them.  It sounds to me like instead of withdrawal, you were perhaps having an adverse reaction to the drug.  I think it is very good you have stopped taking it.  I suggest that you do not take any more of this drug, or any other antidepressant.  

Just for your knowledge, here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

There are things you can do to help yourself that don't involve drugs.  Here are some things to help with the anxiety: 

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

This thread has lots of ways to deal with other symptoms.  It should help with adverse drug effect symptoms as well. 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Please read through it, and mull it over, and we will take it from there. In the meantime, take care of yourself, and take heart.  We in this forum have been through many troubles with these drugs, and we understand first hand the pain and discomfort you are going through.  Please know that the brain is amazing in it's healing abilities.  It takes time, but healing can and will happen. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly