SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Polkadot: I feel like I’ve ruined my brain and body and have no idea what to do

Polkadot

I have taken Paxil 20mg for 8 years for panic disorder and depression. 

I started skipping doses a few years ago with the usual trouble of brain zaps and vertigo and the past few years had been taking it every 3-4 days. 

I suffer from severe health anxiety and many medical issues and began to wonder if I was experiencing mild serotonin syndrome. I tapered to 10mgs over a week and then stopped cold turkey a month ago. 

I am in pure hell. Every day I wake up with a heart rate of 130ish and extreme terror that forces me to take 0.25mg alprazolam the past few days. I can’t sleep, my mind is racing and I feel like I’m going to die. The first few weeks were cold and flu symptoms and anxiety, but this heart racing and terror is new. 

I don’t know what to do. Do I reinstate? Do I try another medication? I have lost my mind and my nervous system is out of control. 

my doctor knows nothing about it and doesn’t know what to do either. 

I know I did something so incredibly stupid by stopping and I am terrified of what is going to happen to me.

2011 - started Paxil 20mg and alprazolam .5mg 

2012 onwards - alprazolam 0.25 very intermittently 

2014 - Paxil increased to 40mg

2015 - Paxil back to 20 (don’t remember severe effects but brain zaps) 

2016 onwards - would forget Paxil doses and experience brain zaps, eventually able to take it every 2-4 days without brain zaps. 
March 2020 - Paxil 20mg daily for several weeks. Experienced major tachycardia, holter monitor showed sinus tachycardia cardiologist said possibly SVT episodes and sinus tachycardia 

April. 2020 - back to taking every few days 

March 2021 - tapered to 10mg every few days then CT

flu like symptoms, sinusitis, brain zaps, muscle pain, tinnitus, hot/cold shivering, insomnia, ruminating thoughts, racing mind 

April 2021 severe withdrawals 

adrenaline surges, morning cortisol surge, total terror and panic constantly, nerve burning in arms and hands, akathisia, severe GI pain and reflux, heart palpitations and tachycardia, sweating, sinusitis, trembling, shivering, nausea, total inability to sleep due to terror. 
Used alprazolam .25 for a week for terror and panic 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  I'm very sorry to hear that you are dealing with these severe withdrawal symptoms. 

First of all, can you please give us specific information about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise list (no symptoms), only specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Health Anxiety

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

I would suggest a small reinstatement.  Going back on a small dose of your drug, or increasing your dose, which we call reinstatement, is best done very carefully.  This is temporary, and after stabilizing you would then taper gradually off of this.  There is some risk involved, which is why we start out at a very low dose.  Here is some information about reinstatement.  

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

My suggestion would be to try going back on 1 mg per day of Prozac (fluoxetine).  Please take it every day and don't skip doses.  The reason I suggest Prozac is because it has a longer half life, and is easier to taper off of than Paxil.  Paxil is notorious for being difficult to taper off of.  Here is information about dosing small amounts of Prozac. 

Tips for Dosing and Tapering Prozac

I suggest you be super careful with the alprazolam, as it is very addictive.  If it were me, I would only take it on occasion (no more than one dose every 4 days or so).  Try some of the audio links above for panic and anxiety instead.  

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Please read through it, and mull it over, and we will take it from there. In the meantime, take care of yourself, and take heart.  We in this forum have been through this, and we understand first hand the pain and discomfort you are going through.  Please know that the brain is amazing in it's healing abilities.  It takes time, but healing can and will happen. 

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• getofflex changed the title to Polkadot: I feel like I’ve ruined my brain and body and have no idea what to do

Thank you for your reply.

I have a dreadful memory but I will try to provide a history. 

2011 I believe was the year I started Paxil at 20mg and alprazolam .05 mg for panic disorder and major depressive disorder. 

I was stable on the Paxil and came off the alprazolam with no ill effects from what I remember. 

I have used alprazolam very intermittently since then, maybe 3-4 times a year.

in maybe 2014 I was experiencing increasing anxiety and depression and my dose was put up to 30, then 40mg Paxil.

I went back to 30, then 20 a year later and don’t recall many side effects other than horrible brain zaps and vertigo. 

after that I started forgetting doses of the 20mg and was able to take it every 2-4 days since then. 

in March 2020 I was advised by a physician to take it every day as he believed my chronic fatigue to be depression (it wasn’t). I took it daily for a few weeks and started experiencing extreme heart racing and anxiety which after a holter monitor was diagnosed as inappropriate sinus tachycardia with a possibility of svt that wasn’t seen. I am unsure if this relates to the medication or an underlying connective tissue disorder I have but it did coincide with the reinstatement of 20mg daily.

since then I was taking it every 2-4 days until March 2021 when I quickly tapered to 10mg and then stopped. 

the past week I have taken 1/8-1/4 of 1mg alprazolam to stop the severe heart racing and feeling of absolute terror. 

I am considering going to the hospital but I’m very concerned they will start me on a full dose of something and it will make me worse, but I don’t feel safe starting the Paxil again on my own either. I’m at a loss and feeling like I’m going to die. 

2016 onwards - would forget Paxil doses and experience brain zaps, eventually able to take it every 2-4 days without brain zaps. 
March 2020 - Paxil 20mg daily for several weeks. Experienced major tachycardia, holter monitor showed sinus tachycardia cardiologist said possibly SVT episodes and sinus tachycardia 

flu like symptoms, sinusitis, brain zaps, muscle pain, tinnitus, hot/cold shivering, insomnia, ruminating thoughts, racing mind 

adrenaline surges, morning cortisol surge, total terror and panic constantly, nerve burning in arms and hands, akathisia, severe GI pain and reflux, heart palpitations and tachycardia, sweating, sinusitis, trembling, shivering, nausea, total inability to sleep due to terror. 

• Administrator

Hello, @Polkadot

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

Your history indicates several periods when you had withdrawal syndrome:

22 hours ago, Polkadot said:

I went back to 30, then 20 a year later and don’t recall many side effects other than horrible brain zaps and vertigo. 

You got withdrawal symptoms from reducing from 30mg to 20mg.

after that I started forgetting doses of the 20mg and was able to take it every 2-4 days since then. 

in March 2020 I was advised by a physician to take it every day as he believed my chronic fatigue to be depression (it wasn’t).

Skipping doses, especially of Paxil, is a good way to trigger withdrawal symptoms and other adverse effects. It appears that when you increased Paxil again, you experienced some severe adverse effects because your nervous system was sensitized from your earlier mishaps.

since then I was taking it every 2-4 days until March 2021 when I quickly tapered to 10mg and then stopped. 

the past week I have taken 1/8-1/4 of 1mg alprazolam to stop the severe heart racing and feeling of absolute terror. 

Again, skipping doses to taper is not a good way to go off psychiatric drugs. Paxil is a particularly difficult drug to go off.

You have severe Paxil withdrawal syndrome. Have you taken any other SSRIs before? What was their effect?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi @Altostrata

sorry I’m still working on the drug history signature.

I am at my wits end. I haven’t slept in a week, the severe cortisol surges won’t stop, I think I have akathisia because when I lay down I constantly need to move and my whole body hurts. I am in a constant state of pure terror. Very high heart rate, severe stomach pain, reflux, pins and needles and shooting sensations in my arms, no appetite for 3 days. I am starting to seriously lose the plot from not sleeping and all the cortisol. I tremble uncontrollably, feel like I’m going to be sick and or wet myself. 

I think I need to go to the hospital, I can’t cope. But I know that their treatment is likely to make me worse. I don’t know what to do. 

my family friend who is a doctor suggested 5mg of Paxil but I’m unsure if that’s a good idea. Either way, I’m losing hope fast and feel like my body is giving up. I honestly think I might die. I am terrified to go to the hospital but I have no other options. 

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Have you taken any other SSRIs before? What was their effect?

Please read questions from staff carefully and answer them fully.

You have severe withdrawal syndrome. Reinstating 5mg Paxil may work to fix this, but Paxil is the antidepressant with the worst adverse effects and withdrawal. If you can substitute perhaps 1mg citalopram to start, it may go better for you. Did you ever take Celexa?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator
On 4/29/2021 at 12:51 AM, Polkadot said:

I suffer from severe health anxiety and many medical issues and began to wonder if I was experiencing mild serotonin syndrome. I tapered to 10mgs over a week and then stopped cold turkey a month ago. 

By the way, it is very possible your history of medical issues etc. was from your inconsistent Paxil dosing. It's a very bad idea to be inconsistent with Paxil.

@Altostrata I’m so sorry, I’m so hyper right now I forgot to answer. I haven’t ever taken any other antidepressants. 

I don’t know how to source these medications as every doctor I see believes im suffering severe anxiety and because it has been 2 months (apologies for the mistake in the first post. Last dose was on March 6 I believe) they don’t believe this is withdrawal. 

I am concerned that if I go to the hospital they will put me on a treatment order, as I was admitted mid March but refused medications and self discharged after a week. I was not too unwell at all then, mainly insomnia and shivering/feeling very cold. 

I remember asking the psych at the hospital if I could start with a low dose of what he recommended - fluvoxamine - and he laughed and said no you will take what I prescribe. 

I feel so unsafe and like I don’t have any options. 

thank you so much for talking to me, you’re a godsend. 

It’s 8:40 am in Australia and I slept maybe 1 hour with intense breathing exercises but woke up drenched in sweat. I attempted to go back to sleep at 1am but the cortisol had taken hold and I have been painfully and constantly moving around in bed since then. 

17 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

By the way, it is very possible your history of medical issues etc. was from your inconsistent Paxil dosing. It's a very bad idea to be inconsistent with Paxil.

I have always been unwell since childhood and it is highly likely I have Ehlers danlos syndrome. 

Often I would experience nausea, night sweats, bruxism (extremely severe says the ortodontist) and during the night I would ‘clack’ my teeth loudly as if I were chewing something?? Intermittent diarrhoea, sometimes I would become overly energised and do strange things like incessantly annoy my partner for no reason. 

unfortunately I can’t link these things to dates and times that I took the Paxil but it does seem to show a possibility of serotonin toxicity. What do you think? 

@Altostrata I really need some advice, please. 

I have been given a 20mg Celexa prescription by a general practitioner that doesn’t know me well. My family are hell bent on me taking it. I am terrified it will make me worse. The akathisia and terror are so severe. Should I take it? 

my back is against the wall really, my whole family is in crisis because of my situation and they are begging me to take it at 20mgs.

the emergency room doctor also says it’s fine to take 0.25 mg alprazolam for another 3 days while the celexa kicks in, but 2 GPs have told me to stop it immediately and my uncle is a doctor and said I should taper it. Who the hell do I believe in all of this?! 

the alprazolam is the only thing that gives me a few hours of relief from the severe akathisia and terror. 

• Moderator Emeritus

22 hours ago, Altostrata said:

f you can substitute perhaps 1mg citalopram to start

I would follow Altostrata's advice and reinstate to 1 mg of the Celexa, which is the brand name for citalopram.  This link tell how to dose a small amount.  

Tips for Dosing and Tapering Citalopram

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, Polkadot said:

I have been given a 20mg Celexa prescription by a general practitioner that doesn’t know me well. My family are hell bent on me taking it. I am terrified it will make me worse. The akathisia and terror are so severe. Should I take it? 

If it were me, I wouldn't.  It could make your situation worse.  Unfortunately few people, including doctors, understand the issues around withdrawing from psych meds.  I'm sorry you are going through this very difficult situation right now.  There is hope, even though you are suffering a lot right now.  

Edited by getofflex

1 hour ago, getofflex said:
10 hours ago, Polkadot said:

If it were me, I wouldn't.  It could make your situation worse.  Unfortunately few people, including doctors, understand the issues around withdrawing from psych meds.  I'm sorry you are going through this very difficult situation right now.  There is hope, even though you are suffering a lot right now.  

I know it was a terrible idea but I took 10mgs.

My stomach is growling and bubbling like crazy and has been for the 8 hours since I took it. 

I have had another night of zero sleep. Like every night and half the day I have been trapped in a severe cortisol surge for the past 6 hours. Sweating, high heart rate, nausea,, stomach cramping, trembling, palpitations and incredible anxiety. How the hell do I stop this? I have to sleep and I honestly can’t face another day and night of this feeling, it’s the worst thing I’ve ever felt in my life. I have tried meditating and breathing extensively to no avail. 

please help me 

what do I do about the Celexa? I can’t just stop it surely? Do I drastically reduce the dose? I’m terrified 

G@Altostrata@getofflex

i believe I’m now dependent on alprazolam 

today is like yesterday, horrific terror and zero sleep, body aches all over and akathisia, weakness from not sleeping for days. I took approx 1/8 of 1mg of alprazolam this morning and it did nothing at all. 

it’s the only thing that stops the extreme terror and helps me to feel okay. 

I don’t know what to do about both the celexa and alprazolam. I only have 2 tablets of the alprazolam left and I don’t think my gp will be open to a super slow taper like is recommended here. 

it’s been a week since I lost my appetite completely but yesterday and today I feel physically sick as I force myself to eat.  I have lost weight rapidly and i honestly think I’m going to die. I don’t know of any doctors that can help me. 

• Administrator
On 4/30/2021 at 4:17 PM, Polkadot said:

unfortunately I can’t link these things to dates and times that I took the Paxil but it does seem to show a possibility of serotonin toxicity. What do you think? 

No, your symptoms were and are withdrawal symptoms from taking Paxil inconsistently.

When I suggested 5mg Paxil or 1mg citalopram, I did not mean 10mg or 20mg citalopram. I meant 1mg citalopram. 

We recommend starting with a very low dose because people's nervous system are often sensitized by withdrawal. It's not unusual for people to get anxious and take a much larger dose, like you did.

Suggest you figure out how to take 1mg citalopram. This may reduce your symptoms without the activation you're suffering, we'd have to see. If you continue to be random in your dosing, we're not going to be able to help you, you're making your own problems.

It's unfortunate, but people need to become their own advocates in this situation. Nobody else can make decisions for you. If you want citalopram liquid (and if it's available in Australia), you will have to politely but firmly insist on a prescription for it from your GP, not ask your GP what he or she thinks you should do. Your GP doesn't know. If you can't get a prescription for liquid, you'll have to make your own as explained in Tips for Dosing and Tapering Citalopram

As for the alprazolam, it would be unusual for you to have become physiologically dependent in 3 days, but psychologically, you may believe you need it. You can stop it now, or only take a quarter of tablet occasionally. If you continue to take it daily, most likely you will become physiologically dependent. You will need to make a decision whether you want to continue taking it or not. If you become physiological dependent, it will require tapering.

Please let us know how you're doing.

3 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

When I suggested 5mg Paxil or 1mg citalopram, I did not mean 10mg or 20mg citalopram. I meant 1mg citalopram. 

I know I made a big mistake. I seem to have reacted badly, increased akathisia and jerking at times as well as this constant bubbling and pain in my stomach. I’m unsure if I should continue 1mg of citalopram or wash out for a week or so and do 1mg Paxil. At this point it’s probably too dangerous to go switching back to Paxil but my gut especially does not seem to like citalopram. 

6 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

As for the alprazolam, it would be unusual for you to have become physiologically dependent in 3 days, but psychologically, you may believe you need it. You can stop it now, or only take a quarter of tablet occasionally. If you continue to take it daily, most likely you will become physiologically dependent. You will need to make a decision whether you want to continue taking it or not. If you become physiological dependent, it will require tapering.

I have taken it daily for at least 7-10 days I believe but I can’t honestly remember. 
I’m wondering if I’m now having withdrawals from that, too. 

the akathisia has been horrific. I didn’t sleep at all again, I’m going on maybe 6 days zero sleep and feeling very derealised and awful. I spent hours yesterday bent over holding my sore stomach and rocking back and forth. My whole body aches deeply. 

I had a fever yesterday and have been sweating constantly, I think the citalopram made it worse. 

I simply can’t sleep, no amount of deep breathing for hours works. I toss and turn all night. 

my family want me to go to the hospital because they are worried and don’t know what to do. I worry that I’ll be sectioned and forced to take more meds that will make this so much worse. 

I can’t trust anyone, people tell me not to trust this forum but it’s all I have. My doctors will want to do a fast taper of the alprazolam which terrifies me. 

I don’t know what to do. I can’t think straight because I’m so exhausted and barely eating and not sleeping.

14 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

I know I made a big mistake. I seem to have reacted badly, increased akathisia and jerking at times as well as this constant bubbling and pain in my stomach. I’m unsure if I should continue 1mg of citalopram or wash out for a week or so and do 1mg Paxil. At this point it’s probably too dangerous to go switching back to Paxil but my gut especially does not seem to like citalopram. 

14 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

I have taken it daily for at least 7-10 days I believe but I can’t honestly remember. 
I’m wondering if I’m now having withdrawals from that, too. 

the akathisia has been horrific. I didn’t sleep at all again, I’m going on maybe 6 days zero sleep and feeling very derealised and awful. I spent hours yesterday bent over holding my sore stomach and rocking back and forth. My whole body aches deeply. 

I had a fever yesterday and have been sweating constantly, I think the citalopram made it worse. 

I simply can’t sleep, no amount of deep breathing for hours works. I toss and turn all night. 

my family want me to go to the hospital because they are worried and don’t know what to do. I worry that I’ll be sectioned and forced to take more meds that will make this so much worse. 

I can’t trust anyone, people tell me not to trust this forum but it’s all I have. My doctors will want to do a fast taper of the alprazolam which terrifies me. 

I don’t know what to do. I can’t think straight because I’m so exhausted and barely eating and not sleeping.

I also now know that citalopram can cause qt prolongation which terrifies me especially with not eating much at all my risk factors are increasing. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Polkadot said:

I’m unsure if I should continue 1mg of citalopram or wash out for a week or so and do 1mg Paxil. At this point it’s probably too dangerous to go switching back to Paxil but my gut especially does not seem to like citalopram.

It is very possible you have been sensitized by your taking your drugs inconsistently and you reacted badly to 10mg citalopram. That is why we suggest very low dose trials in these situations.

7 minutes ago, Polkadot said:

Those are typical severe withdrawal symptoms.

You may do fine with 1mg citalopram, but it's hard to tell now because your taking too much citalopram has caused further upset.

If you have been taking alprazolam for 7-10 days, it is possible you are physiologically dependent and it's also causing additional problems such as interdose withdrawal. You should keep a record every day of when you take your drugs and their dosages.

If you want to take care of yourself without going to the hospital, you will need to be regular in your drug dosing. 

I've given you my best guesses. I'm sorry, you will have to make your own decisions, not your family or your doctor. The reason this site exists is because people can't find help elsewhere.

@Altostrata what do you suggest I do? My stomach is very upset from the citalopram but maybe it’s best to keep taking it at 1mg now that I’ve started? 

what about the alprazolam? I don’t have enough pills for a taper and I haven’t taken it since yesterday morning. 

it’s so hard to know what is causing what symptoms .

• Administrator

Please read my responses above.

11 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Those are typical severe withdrawal symptoms.

Do you think this could be from alprazolam? 

12 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

You may do fine with 1mg citalopram, but it's hard to tell now because your taking too much citalopram has caused further upset.

Should I now take 1mg? 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Polkadot said:

Do you think this could be from alprazolam? 

When you went off Paxil cold turkey, you got severe withdrawal symptoms, after years of upsetting your nervous system by taking the drug inconsistently. You have severe antidepressant withdrawal syndrome, as mentioned before.

If you are dependent on alprazolam, you may have additional symptoms.

You have gotten yourself into a complicated situation. Taking a little citalopram may relieve the PAXIL withdrawal symptoms, but you took too much citalopram and made yourself worse.

It will take a few days for the 10mg citalopram to wear off. You might wait a few days before taking 1mg citalopram AT THE SAME TIME EACH DAY to lessen the SSRI withdrawal symptoms. Ordinarily, this helps, people stabilize for some months, and then taper off by tiny amounts.

I see you have a long history with alprazolam. I don't know what you're going to do about your potential alprazolam dependency. If you feel you have to continue it, you'll need to get a continuing prescription from your doctor. It would be best to take the alprazolam at the same time each day, instead of the haphazard way you have been taking your drugs. If you can't get another prescription, you'll have to go off by gradually reducing what you have and enduring the withdrawal symptoms, if any.

I'm sorry, I don't have any easy answers for you.

57 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

It will take a few days for the 10mg citalopram to wear off. You might wait a few days before taking 1mg citalopram AT THE SAME TIME EACH DAY to lessen the SSRI withdrawal symptoms. Ordinarily, this helps, people stabilize for some months, and then taper off by tiny amounts.

I will start 1mg citalopram.

Another question - I do really need to be medicated for my mental health. Any experience or advice about slowly going up to a higher dose or switching to another medication? Would it be a slow taper from the 1mg to then a low dose of something else? 

• Administrator

I have no idea if you "need" a drug for your mental health. We do not treat mental disorders here, only try to help people go off drugs.

As for recommending any new drugs you might try, that's not is our mission, either. It's your decision what kind of medical treatment you want and need.

3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

As for recommending any new drugs you might try, that's not is our mission, either. It's your decision what kind of medical treatment you want and need.

I just want to know a bit more about your advice for re instatement. 

is it not better to reinstate Paxil because that’s the drug I CT from? I have concerns about Celexas cardiac complications but as I took the 10mg almost 2 days ago, I would need to wait for a washout period before reinstating Paxil to be safe from serotonin syndrome. 

Do people fully improve after reinstatement? I feel that my symptoms are so severe compared to many people that I may not ever get better. Is it usual that my symptoms are getting worse? I am seriously wondering how much the alprazolam is implicated here too. 

because I’m at 2 months since my last Paxil dose time is critical. I’m scared I’ll never get better and I can’t live like this. 
have you seen people improve significantly from my severity with re instatement this late? 

@getofflex maybe you can weigh in? 

• Mentor

Hi @Polkadot

I am so sorry to read about your struggling, I know first hand how it feels to get of Paxil  as I have had these horrible symptoms. You are in withdrawals from the drug you need to be aware of that. 

Do people fully improve after reinstatement? I

I had to reinstate after months off the drug and I got better. It takes the severity off the symptoms. 
If I were you I would not reinstate Paxil, but continue with celexa. Start with small amount 1 mg and see how that goes.  Paxil is such a hard drug to get off.

I’m scared I’ll never get better and I can’t live like this. 

I know it’s scary but it will settle.  It will take a little time for you to find the dose that will help you with the severity of this. You will get better, you need to believe that.

All the best to you🙏

1999-2020  20 mg Paxil

Bridged with Fluoxetine to help me get off Paxil.

2022 Fluoxetine 15 mg 12/12 14mg 27/12  13mg jan 12mg feb 11mg mars 10mg, 9 mg 8,5 mg 7.6mg 7.0 mg 6,3 mg 5,6 mg 5,0 mg 4,5 mg 4,0 mg 3.6mg 3,2 mg 2,9 mg 2,6 mg 2,3 mg 2,0 mg

I am not a medical professional nor is this a medical advice. I only talk from my own experience.

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Polkadot said:

is it not better to reinstate Paxil because that’s the drug I CT from? I have concerns about Celexas cardiac complications but as I took the 10mg almost 2 days ago, I would need to wait for a washout period before reinstating Paxil to be safe from serotonin syndrome. 

I explained to you before why you would not want to continue Paxil.

Your reasoning about serotonin syndrome is incorrect. I suggested waiting a few days for the drug plasma level to go down because your nervous system is sensitized and may react badly to increased levels of SSRI.

It appears you have a long history of taking your psychiatric drugs ad hoc. If you want to do it your way, please do not get me further involved, this is way too time-consuming.

I explained to you before why you would not want to continue Paxil.

I’m sorry, I’m just in absolute crisis and I’m terrified reinstating won’t work. I can’t live like this.  

Celexa is likely to work as well as Paxil for the withdrawals? 

It appears you have a long history of taking your psychiatric drugs ad hoc. If you want to do it your way, please do not get me further involved, this is way too time-consuming.

Again, I’m really sorry. It’s been theorised by a few therapists that I have undiagnosed adhd because my executive function is extremely poor and I struggle to do things like take medications. I have been incredibly stupid and I am now suffering consequences that may never end. I am so scared. 

• Administrator
21 hours ago, Polkadot said:

Celexa is likely to work as well as Paxil for the withdrawals? 

I don't know, you'd have to see. I don't know if reinstating Paxil would be better, either.

I doubt you have ADHD.

Can your uncle who is a doctor help you somehow to taper the benzodiazepam?  If he thinks you should taper it, perhaps he can help you get a prescription.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

I don't know, you'd have to see. I don't know if reinstating Paxil would be better, either.

I did a keyword search for Paxil reinstate and saw that up until a few years ago you’ve generally recommended people reinstate Paxil. Many people were lost to follow up but I’m wondering if this would work better.  

have you seen people as severely sick as I am recover by reinstating? 

I can’t cry, it’s terrifying. I’m so numb. I know time is of the essence but I can’t reinstate Paxil yet as I took Celexa on the 2/5. 

im sorry, I can tell you’re really frustrated by me. I really appreciate your guidance and help. I’m just so lost and scared. I’ve lost everything in a matter of weeks, I was fine a few weeks ago and now I’m so sick I can’t do anything. 

is this PAWS? I know the likelihood of recovery isn’t on my side. I’m so scared. I just want my life and body back. 

• Administrator

I'm sorry, I simply cannot keep repeating myself. If you want to take Paxil again, please go ahead.

On 4/30/2021 at 3:54 PM, Altostrata said:

You have severe withdrawal syndrome. Reinstating 5mg Paxil may work to fix this, but Paxil is the antidepressant with the worst adverse effects and withdrawal. If you can substitute perhaps 1mg citalopram to start, it may go better for you.

If no one ever recovered, there would be no point to running this site.

9 hours ago, Rosetta said:

Can your uncle who is a doctor help you somehow to taper the benzodiazepam?  If he thinks you should taper it, perhaps he can help you get a prescription.

I’d say he could help prescribe it. It’s so hard to know If I’ve developed a dependency or if the AD withdrawals are just ramping up. I’m having so much trouble remembering when symptoms started because I’m sleeping maybe 1. Hour each night. 

I haven’t taken alprazolam in 2 days and I’ve been sweating absolutely ridiculous amounts. I was sweating before that but this is almost dangerous. It’s hard to know if it’s that,  a reaction to the 10mg Celexa or the Paxil withdrawal getting worse. 

im pretty sure I took the alprazolam sporadically over 7-10 days only once a day. 

Do you think I’m dependent on it? 

3 hours ago, Polkadot said:

I’d say he could help prescribe it. It’s so hard to know If I’ve developed a dependency or if the AD withdrawals are just ramping up. I’m having so much trouble remembering when symptoms started because I’m sleeping maybe 1. Hour each night. 

I haven’t taken alprazolam in 2 days and I’ve been sweating absolutely ridiculous amounts. I was sweating before that but this is almost dangerous. It’s hard to know if it’s that,  a reaction to the 10mg Celexa or the Paxil withdrawal getting worse. 

im pretty sure I took the alprazolam sporadically over 7-10 days only once a day. 

Do you think I’m dependent on it? 

First you should stop panic. You don't have deadly disease or any other stuff. You have WD symptoms from fast withdrawal of Paxil. 

After reinstatement you will improve. I did it myself and I am ok. It will take time not a day or two but you will improve.

Paroxetine since 2005 20mg

Paroxetine since 2020 Januari 10 mg

Paroxetine 25-09-2020 -5% currently 9.5mg

Paroxetine 15-04-2021 9 mg

3 minutes ago, Kalmar said:

First you should stop panic. You don't have deadly disease or any other stuff. You have WD symptoms from fast withdrawal of Paxil. 

After reinstatement you will improve. I did it myself and I am ok. It will take time not a day or two but you will improve

How long out did you reinstate? Did you CT? How severe was your withdrawal? 

1 hour ago, Polkadot said:

How long out did you reinstate? Did you CT? How severe was your withdrawal? 

I did tapering for over two years from 20 mg to 5 mg and crashed on 5 mg. My crash began on 10 mg and was out of control on 5 mg. My WD were severe because of the panic I wasn't able to leave my bed plus dizziness, insomnia, no appetite, high hearthrate, high blood pressure and etc. The I jumped to 10 mg. Now I am on 9.5 mg for year and I'm feeling good. Started my tapering again.

Paroxetine since 2005 20mg

Paroxetine since 2020 Januari 10 mg

Paroxetine 25-09-2020 -5% currently 9.5mg

Paroxetine 15-04-2021 9 mg