SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Nic123: 3 months on Escitalopram 5mg, 4 months off and i'm left with severe emotional blunting, PSSD, feel blank, brain fog, anhedonia. Will I ever get better????

Nic123

Hello, I was taking Escitalopram for 2.7 months (including taper) at 5mg, so the lowest dose, i tapered off in a couple weeks and had no noticeable withdrawals like brain zaps etc. I started taking it for anxiety i had about my body and just general low moods. In the beginning it was amazing, i almost felt euphoric during the time on it for a while although i felt emotional blunting and things just didn't feel that good to do which i assume is anhedonia, i stayed on it as it absolutely helped me feel calm about mostly everything which i did like at the time. My sex drive was decreased but not by all that much. I got off it as i couldn't deal with the emotional blunting any longer. 

I've now been off it for 4 months and the past couple weeks i seem to be just getting worst and worst with no end in sight. It wasn't untill about 2 months after stopping where my sex drive literally disappeared overnight and seems to be getting worst as time goes on which is called PSSD. as well as the emotional blunting, cognitive issues, memory problems and Anhedonia which got 100x worst than when i was on the meds. another concern i have is a blank mind which is exactly how it sounds, nothing really goes on inside my head anymore, even "thinking" has become sometimes impossible. I just feel this flat/neutral feeling about everything where i just cant "feel" anything no matter how hard i try, complete apathy with no desire to really do anything anymore. I would have never got on this drug if i knew there was a possibility to be ridded of all my emotions. I go through the days just feeling like a complete zombie now and there just doesn't seem to be an end in sight  when everyday feels the same if not worst than the day before. Sleep is also terrible since being on and off lexapro. Its taking me forever to fall asleep no matter how tired i feel and waking up in the morning NEVER feels restful. I'm groggy and tired regardless of hours slept. Sleep feels very shallow now. 

I know im probably not thinking correctly in my state but i have read MANY stories of people with similar symptoms and see years have gone by and they still dont feel completely like they were before the meds and that just makes me feel like there is no hope for me. I cant live like this, it would be utter pointless being in existence with how i feel. Its not even depression, Its a complete absence of the human experience and i feel like a robot with no emotions.

I was also on lexapro same 5mg dose for a couple weeks in 2017. Come off from i remember the emotional numbness but i went back to normal fairly quickly from what i can remember. 

WILL i recover?

Edited by Gridley

2014 Duloxetine, took for a couple of weeks and stopped was aged 17 at the time CT brain zaps etc. 

2017 Lexapro 5mg, hard to remember but i took this for a couple months ago for social anxiety. Stopped CT, brain zaps etc. 

2020  oct-dec, Escitalopram, 5mg took for a total of 2.7 months including taper, tapered for a couple weeks. 

still not right. Emotional blunting, brain fog, anhedonia, PSSD, blank mind, cognitive issues. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Nic123.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Short answer: yes, you will recover though we can't predict how long it will take.  Everyone is different.  I suggest you Google "SurvivingAntidepressants.org escitalopram lexapro success stories" for some encouraging accounts of recovery from this drug.  I've been off 20 mg Lexapro for a bit over six months (after being on it for 16 years) and am slowly healing.

The symptoms you describe are typical of antidepressant withdrawal (which, by the way, doctors don't believe exists).  The difference between your experience in 2017 and your current situation is that in 2017 you were on the Escitalopram for only two weeks, which is not long enough to cause withdrawal.  A person is at risk of withdrawal after one month of taking a psychiatric drug, and this time you were on the drug for 2.7 months, with a very short taper.  So that you have a better idea of what you're experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal and the healing process.

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well.

One possibility I want to bring up is reinstatement.  Reinstatement of a very small dose of the previous drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal symptoms.  It works most dependably if done within 3 months after your last dose, and you're a bit beyond that.  It might work, or it might not.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

If you're interested in reinstatement please let us know and I'll suggest a reinstatement dose.  Please don't reinstate without letting us suggest a dosage.  Reinstating too much can destabilize you further.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Gridley changed the title to Nic123: 3 months on Escitalopram 5mg, 4 months off and i'm left with severe emotional blunting, PSSD, feel blank, brain fog, anhedonia. Will I ever get better????

I’m in the same condition man. 
If you want you can see my introduction topic where i describe my situation. 
after a year of symptoms i’m still here. Things have improved but it’s so slow. 
However i have some Windows feeling normal-ish. Do you have ? It could be a sign that you will heal for sure !

Cipralex 2 years treatment (January 2017 to March 2019, with a brief interruption). 

Cipralex 10 mg : January 2017 - July 2017.

Cipralex 5 mg: August 2017 - March 2018.  Start tapering 1 mg a month. 

Off the medication: August 2018.  Too fast tapering, crashed, doctor reinstated considering relapse. 

Cipralex 5 mg: September 2018 - December 2018.  Tired of emotional numbness, start tapering again, 1 mg a month (didn't know it was so fast, following my doctor advice). 

Off the medication: March 2019. 

PSSD and painful withdrawal symptoms: January 2020 until now. Some improvements but still struggling. 

Supplements: some Omega 3 and probiotics, a bit better. 

I’m in the same situation my friend. We can get through this together. Feel free to message me. 

Jan 2021-

• Contracted covid, extreme anxiety, tried on various drugs for 1-2 days in psych ward
  • lexapro(5mg) 2 weeks
  • seroquel (50-100mg) 1 week

Feb 2021- 

• Stopped both lexapro and seroquel with 1-2 day taper due to numbness/dpdr
  • Felt anxiety and emotions return for 2 weeks, dealing with anxiety again, then sudden numbness
  • 3 days of numbness
  • Got on Wellbutrin XL 150mg - present

April 2021- 

• Still taking Wellbutrin, which seems to help some with energy and a tiny bit with emotions, considering tapering off slowly if I can handle it. 

Thanks for the reply’s guys. It’s so scary not feeling like you once did. A few times I’ve wondered maybe this is just what people feel when they don’t have anxiety. I don’t think that’s it though as I feel pretty much numb to everything 

2014 Duloxetine, took for a couple of weeks and stopped was aged 17 at the time CT brain zaps etc. 

2017 Lexapro 5mg, hard to remember but i took this for a couple months ago for social anxiety. Stopped CT, brain zaps etc. 

2020  oct-dec, Escitalopram, 5mg took for a total of 2.7 months including taper, tapered for a couple weeks. 

still not right. Emotional blunting, brain fog, anhedonia, PSSD, blank mind, cognitive issues. 

Admin note: title before moving off another intro thread - Blank mind/loss of emotions after Lexapro

since ceasing my Lexapro 4 months ago i have been stuck in this weird mind state of just nothingness going on in my head, its almost as if the neurons or whatever they are have stopped firing and sending messages. Of course there is a tiny little bit as iam able to comprehend the situation and type this but it just feels like most of the time my mind is completely blank and eerily quite with nothing really going on up there. This is also coupled with complete lack of emotions/memory loss and cognitive struggles, cant feel a "vibe". The best way to describe it is just an inability to "access" my brain if that makes any sense. Its almost like I'm disconnected from it and even "thinking" is impossible. Before lexapro i could understand complex and abstract ideas, i was a very deep thinker and that all seems to be gone atm. One strange thing is because of this i have absolutely no anxiety or anxious feelings about anything, I'm almost to calm. I'm sometimes terrified i will be like this way forever now and it really feels like my life is completely over. 

I was taking 5mg escitalopram for 2.7 months including a taper with no Physical withdrawals like brain zaps etc so i thought id tapered correctly. 

Edited by Shep
added admin note

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Nic, and welcome.

A "weird mind state of nothingness" will certainly resonate with many here. You are not alone.

Can you please help us learn a little more about you by creating a brief "signature" using these instructions: 

I see that you were taking it for just 2.7 months. Were/are you taking anything else? Please include approximate dates/dosage changes if you can remember.

I promise your life isn't over. But I can understand feeling that way because of what you're going through. This experience can be extremely intense. I hope you will find useful info as well as community here on SA. Welcome.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Hey buddy. I think you’ve already seen my posts but I’m going through the same stuff off lexapro and seroquel. I’m not 100% sure that’s why I’m experiencing all my symptoms. But I believe it could be, and it’s similar to what you say. 

I can relate to what you say though. The blank mind and lack of emotions. I’m about 2.5 months out at a low dose and I feel like my mental clarity is coming back. For me personally it feels like the real me never left it’s just under the covers or something, and I notice I still react similarly in most situations I just don’t feel the same. I think it’s just a matter of time before myself is more fully back and I can recognize it. 

I understand the feeling of your life being over. I have broken down over it several times. Just remember that it’s not true at all and you just have to take it one day at a time. Sometimes one hour, or minute, or second, as they say. 

Jan 2021-

• Contracted covid, extreme anxiety, tried on various drugs for 1-2 days in psych ward
  • lexapro(5mg) 2 weeks

Feb 2021- 

• Felt anxiety and emotions return for 2 weeks, dealing with anxiety again, then sudden numbness
  • 3 days of numbness

April 2021- 

• Still taking Wellbutrin, which seems to help some with energy and a tiny bit with emotions, considering tapering off slowly if I can handle it. 

On 4/19/2021 at 4:54 AM, Nic123 said:

Thanks for the reply’s guys. It’s so scary not feeling like you once did. A few times I’ve wondered maybe this is just what people feel when they don’t have anxiety. I don’t think that’s it though as I feel pretty much numb to everything 

I understand what you mean. Lots of self-reflection to figure out if it’s just anxiety that left or other things (because I was dealing with extreme anxiety when I felt numb). I’m hoping therapy can help me narrow it down further and help me cope and understand myself. 

Jan 2021-

• lexapro(5mg) 2 weeks

Feb 2021- 

• 3 days of numbness

April 2021- 

3 hours ago, SpasticSurgeon said:

I understand what you mean. Lots of self-reflection to figure out if it’s just anxiety that left or other things (because I was dealing with extreme anxiety when I felt numb). I’m hoping therapy can help me narrow it down further and help me cope and understand myself. 

I've seen a lot of people say they feel numb or suffer anhedonia but also say they had extreme anxiety at the same time, for me literally every emotion is pretty much gone anxiety included.

12 hours ago, SkyBlue said:

Hello Nic, and welcome.

A "weird mind state of nothingness" will certainly resonate with many here. You are not alone.

Can you please help us learn a little more about you by creating a brief "signature" using these instructions: 

I see that you were taking it for just 2.7 months. Were/are you taking anything else? Please include approximate dates/dosage changes if you can remember.

I promise your life isn't over. But I can understand feeling that way because of what you're going through. This experience can be extremely intense. I hope you will find useful info as well as community here on SA. Welcome.

I've done my signature, completely forgot. I've taken nothing since 4 months ago, except fish oil, vitamin D and B complex occasionally. 

I really hope not, i feel brain dead most of the time like ive suffered some sort of brain damage, but hopefully i can regain full function again.

7 hours ago, Nic123 said:

I've seen a lot of people say they feel numb or suffer anhedonia but also say they had extreme anxiety at the same time, for me literally every emotion is pretty much gone anxiety included.

Sorry I should have been more clear. Anxiety is gone for me too, I just meant right before I felt numb I had bad anxiety. There is still some anxiety now but it feels different from before.

Jan 2021-

• lexapro(5mg) 2 weeks

Feb 2021- 

• 3 days of numbness

April 2021- 

• 2 weeks later...

Admin note: title before merging from Symptoms & Self-Care thread - Should I be taking Vitamins? Especially B vitamins?

I’m 4 months off escitlopram and have been having a very very bad time regarding brain fog, anhedonia, emotion loss, blank head, loss of sex drive. 

I’m wondering if it’s a good thing if I take fish oil, vitamin D3, probiotic and a B complex? I know they probably won’t make much of a difference in feeling ‘better’ but they can’t do harm can they??

I have the mthfr gene which means I lack B vitamins or something I think.

Edited by Shep
added title

• 4 weeks later...

Admin note: Title of post before merging - (update) 5 months since stopping escitalopram, starting to lose hope.

I posted about 2 months ago regarding, Blank mind (no thoughts, thinking problems) extreme brain fog, emotional numbness, pssd. Nothing has changed at all regarding severity of it all regardless of being as healthy as possible and lifting weights daily. The emotional numbness/anhedonia is getting to me the worst though. i just feel flat all day everyday. There is no ups and downs and i really feel completely brain dead. A few times I've wondered if I've partially died and only my Basic functioning remains to keep my physical form alive. The thing is i can "partially" enjoy my hobbies still, its just nothing grabs me the same way as before. I do think the anhedonia has partially gotten better. I can watch a show/YouTube and slightly "enjoy" it so i guess that's an improvement. I also take vitamins B complex, d3, fish oil, zinc, magnesium. I've often wondered if maybe they have made me worst but i have no idea. 

Edited by Shep
added title before merging from a second intro thread

• Moderator Emeritus

@Nic123 I just merged several Intro threads and one Symptoms & Self Care thread into your first Introduction thread. Please continue to use this thread to ask questions. I think you'll get more and faster responses that way. Please note we only allow one Introduction thread per member. This allows you to keep all of your information in one place. 

5 hours ago, Nic123 said:

I also take vitamins B complex, d3, fish oil, zinc, magnesium. I've often wondered if maybe they have made me worst but i have no idea. 

Yes, you're correct to be concerned about your supplements, as some supplements can cause problems. This is especially true for B and D3 vitamins, as they tend to be stimulating. Please see:

Supplements - what helps, what doesn't? Herbs, vitamins, amino acids, etc.

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet

Vitamin B3 (niacin, niacinamide)

Vitamin B8 (inositol)

Vitamin B12: essential for mood, nervous system

With a B complex vitamin pill, you are adding in more than one vitamin, which can complicate the picture. 

Here's information on vitamin D3: 

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol or calcitriol)

Please use the search feature or google "surviving antidepressants.org" + [name of supplement] to research any and all vitamins. 

We don't recommend a lot of supplements, as many members report their nervous systems are simply too fragile to handle them. However, magnesium and fish oil tend to be calming to the nervous system and many people report they do help. Please only add in one supplement at a time and at a small dose. For more, please see:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

When adding in or subtracting supplements, we advise only making one change at a time and in small increments. Please see:

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

5 hours ago, Nic123 said:

I do think the anhedonia has partially gotten better. I can watch a show/YouTube and slightly "enjoy" it so i guess that's an improvement.

This is great news! Yes, withdrawal takes an absurd amount of time, but you're seeing improvements, so that shows your mind/body is resilient and you're on your way to recovery. It just takes time. 

These are some things that can help you heal:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I think the anhedonia is lifting very slowly. I seem to have more days where I feel like I can reasonably enjoy thing. Still not back to pre ssri state but it’s something.

• Moderator Emeritus

Excellent update, Nic. Thanks for letting us know of your improvements. It's a slow healing process, but you're getting there. 

Hey @Nic123 and @SpasticSurgeon

Nic I feel so similar to you, every symptom you mentioned is something I’m struggling with too, the emotional deadness is the worst although the cognitive impairment and lack of thoughts is horrible.  I haven’t been able to get off my meds yet, so I’m glad you were, and are feeling a bit better.  I’d kill to get off these but last time I tried I was so impaired I couldn’t handle it.

anyway just wanted to say I sympathize an share this too, hope you guys get better.

2009-2010 - Ritalin/adderall, citralopram, clonazepam, none of these taken more than 1 month, cold turkeyed all

2021:  5/11 put on 2mg risperidone, 1200mg lithium.  6/6 1.2mg risp, 900mg lith.  6/14 1mg risp, 600 mg lith.  6/23 0.9mg risp, 600mg lith.    7/1 0.8mg risp, 600mg lith.    7/8 0.7mg risp, 600mg lith.  7/14 0.6mg risp. 600mg lith.   7/22 0.5mg risp. 600mg lith.   7/25 0.4mg risp, 600mg lith.   7/31 0.3mg risp, 300mg lith.    8/8/21 0.2mg risp, 300mg lith.    8/15/21 0.1mg risp, 300mg lith.    8/22/21 0.06mg risp, 300mg lith.   8/30/21 0.02mg risp, 0mg lith.

Supplements - 1560mg fish oil, 5000 IU d3, 300mg chelated magnesium, niacin (as needed)

9 hours ago, BlondeAndDrugged said:

Hey @Nic123 and @SpasticSurgeon

Nic I feel so similar to you, every symptom you mentioned is something I’m struggling with too, the emotional deadness is the worst although the cognitive impairment and lack of thoughts is horrible.  I haven’t been able to get off my meds yet, so I’m glad you were, and are feeling a bit better.  I’d kill to get off these but last time I tried I was so impaired I couldn’t handle it.

anyway just wanted to say I sympathize an share this too, hope you guys get better.

So sorry you have to also be dealing with all this, i know exactly how you are feeling. Wouldn’t wish it upon my worst enemy. I can say that things seem to be getting better. I don’t feel as “dead” and I seem to be able to get invested/obsessed with my hobbies slightly again so that must be something to do with dopamine coming back? I’m certainly far from how I was before but I’m forgetting about it more and more. I also wouldn’t worry to much as you are still taking the meds. So right now you “know” it’s the meds causing it and nothing else.

• 3 months later...

Another update, nothing has improved and im starting to feel very hopeless about my whole situation. I know it may take 5 years to be completely back to normal but whatever I'm suffering from feels permanent like I've suffered some kind of brain damage, reading other people in similar situations still suffering 4-5 years later makes me feel like what the hell is the point. Possibly i'm just in a bad wave at 9 months since stopping and depression is also a factor in all of this and lockdowns and being unemployed further making me suffer and dwell on my situation.. About a month or so ago things did feel like they were improving, i stopped visiting forums and generally felt like i had occasional thoughts coming back but then some stress and im back to square one it feels, i feel brain dead once again and constantly spaced out especially in social situations i seem to glaze over and when i exercise my vision goes all blotchy and weird. motivation to do anything is also still obliterated 

• 2 weeks later...

I really need some words of encouragement, i'm losing hope more and more each day. i'm living in a literal empty hell every single day and its unbearable. I cant help but think i've already died and my physical form remains.

I have a general feeling that my personality, which was energetic, huge highs and lows and perhaps, at times, abrasive has been neutered and a sense of heightened awareness and consciousness is an extremely muffled version of what it once was. i hardly even talk anymore as i simply have nothing in my head to say....

• Mentor

Hi @Nic123

I am so sorry you are having a hard time. I wanted to drop by your thread and give you some encouragement.

This is a frustrating and hard journey and at times it seems like we are not making any improvements. But know that your body is working hard for you to get to back to a stable state. 
I too tend to over analyse things, especially when it comes to my thoughts. 
Is there anything you enjoy doing and want to get better at? I personally find focusing on other goals help me to distract from this situation. 
Seeing improvements in other areas can help you, as for me I like seeing improvements, it will build your confidence and shift your focus on to something positive.

Don’t assume it will take 5 years to heal, we are all different, and if you have that thought in your mind it will just have a negative impact on you. 
What you tell yourself in your mind are only thoughts. Don’t chase after them if you can. You are not your thoughts, we all have them it’s a part of being human. What matters is that you do not identify yourself with those negative thoughts, look at them like clouds passing by. Feed your mind with positive thoughts, it takes some effort and work and I know you can do it.

Believe in yourself! Tell yourself you can do this, have faith and never give up on yourself. You are worth fighting for, you have your whole life a head, make this suffering count for something, turn it into a success in your mind. 
They say that success is failure turned inside out. That’s what keeps me going when I struggle.

Dont forget how far you have come, you have already experienced some windows, and you will have it again.

Believe you can, and you are half way there🙏

1999-2020  20 mg Paxil

Bridged with Fluoxetine to help me get off Paxil.

2022 Fluoxetine 15 mg 12/12 14mg 27/12  13mg jan 12mg feb 11mg mars 10mg, 9 mg 8,5 mg 7.6mg 7.0 mg 6,3 mg 5,6 mg 5,0 mg 4,5 mg 4,0 mg 3.6mg 3,2 mg 2,9 mg 2,6 mg 2,3 mg 2,0 mg

I am not a medical professional nor is this a medical advice. I only talk from my own experience.

23 hours ago, Hanna72 said:

Hi @Nic123

I am so sorry you are having a hard time. I wanted to drop by your thread and give you some encouragement.

This is a frustrating and hard journey and at times it seems like we are not making any improvements. But know that your body is working hard for you to get to back to a stable state. 
I too tend to over analyse things, especially when it comes to my thoughts. 
Is there anything you enjoy doing and want to get better at? I personally find focusing on other goals help me to distract from this situation. 
Seeing improvements in other areas can help you, as for me I like seeing improvements, it will build your confidence and shift your focus on to something positive.

Don’t assume it will take 5 years to heal, we are all different, and if you have that thought in your mind it will just have a negative impact on you. 
What you tell yourself in your mind are only thoughts. Don’t chase after them if you can. You are not your thoughts, we all have them it’s a part of being human. What matters is that you do not identify yourself with those negative thoughts, look at them like clouds passing by. Feed your mind with positive thoughts, it takes some effort and work and I know you can do it.

Believe in yourself! Tell yourself you can do this, have faith and never give up on yourself. You are worth fighting for, you have your whole life a head, make this suffering count for something, turn it into a success in your mind. 
They say that success is failure turned inside out. That’s what keeps me going when I struggle.

Dont forget how far you have come, you have already experienced some windows, and you will have it again.

Believe you can, and you are half way there🙏

Thank you very much. Living hell would really be the only way to describe such a state. I'm not even sure if i have experienced any windows to be completely honest though. I just lose my **** when i see people who have struggled for years and years with no improvments, which makes me think this must be permanent brain damage which i know surely cant be possible, also everyone is differnt i should keep telling myself. But i will try to remain hopeful. I really appreciate your help ❤️

Whats odd is i still had thoughts and feelings on the escitalopram although they were blunted it was absolutely nothing like it has been the past couple months. 

Blank, emotionless. Every day is suffering

I’ve seen no improvements in my condition and really starting to think it’s a permanent condition. It’s been 10 months since I stopped escitalpram but I haven’t had an ounce of improvement. I feel like my condition gets worst daily. I can’t go on much longer feeling completely abscent from everything. My brain feels flat and heavy all the time. I can’t “think” and when I try it feels like Something is blocking. I feel as if my brain has died and all that remains are my eyes. All I ever feel like doing is sitting around because I don’t get thoughts to do anything anymore. Even me trying to describe it wouldn’t even begin to describe what a hell it really is. My vision is blurry and blotchy. smell, hearing is all muted. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

On 1/19/2020 at 5:43 PM, Icip said:

Hi Violets,

Sorry for the time it’s taken me to reply, have had it in my mental to do list since you replied. Flashes went away after only a couple of weeks for me, they weren’t so bothersome other than giving me a fright in the dark heh.

My tinnitus is still here, I can hear it if I listen out for it, but it’s lessening in intensity I guess. Ie. just as noticeable, but not as loud. So I’d maybe give it a four out of 10, it could be lesser than yours, I’m just obsessive hehe.

Do you have a feeling of just being/feeling off, one that’s indescribable? I’d actually say that among the joint pain, tinnitus, static vision/other visual anomalies, and brain fog, that’s it’s by far my biggest gripe with withdrawal. Comparing how I felt say four months ago in the pub, to how I feel now. I notice the difference and can’t stop it from upsetting me.

Time seems to be the best healer, I’d like to think that everyone will return to some state of normality be it how ever number of years it takes.

I also wanted to ask as this has been plaguing my conscious for most hours of the day as of recently - did your inner voice seem dull? Or quieter? Mine has improved a little, but being in my head all day was my favourite pass-time ;)). Any input/experience on this if applicable would be so helpful.

This is a lovely video that I stumbled across the other day. It gave me a little hope whilst equally serving to motivate:

I pray for more healing for you, and hope that you’ll return to yourself sooner rather than later. Again, thank you for your inspiring update,

Icip.

Keep reading and going over this post for some hope in my situation. Things have started to get worst again and I have absolutely no idea why, nothing changed that i can think of exept i took a few vitamins B complex, folinic acid and vitamin D, find it hard to believe that would worsen my situation though as i apparently need these vitamins more than other people as i have MTHFR gene . My vision has started to go all foggy and static again when looking at light coloured objects or when its dark i see all these microscopic dots which are very hard to explain. Still no feelings or emotions which I miss the most out of anything, after 10 months off escitalopram i would think to have seen some major improvements by now....  Lately even talking has become a bit difficult like the words just come out without any conscious thought and because of the severe short term memory issues, i don't even really remember what I'm saying to someone. Lockdowns and being unemployed have surely slowed recover as I'm probably being shadowed with a depression as well. 

Life has become so mechanical and soulless, My head is just an empty void when once upon a time it was full of life and inner world. I feel like i'm just aimlessly here now when i feel i don't even really have a normal mind anymore.  

The only thing i seem to remotely enjoy is mindlessly browsing the internet, everything else just seems to hard.

Edited by ChessieCat
added quote before moving to member's intro

• Mentor

I’m sorry you are in a rough place !
I have had that brain fog and dizziness and dots in eye sight with lexapro  mostly when I first started it. Felt like I was gonna pass out in heat of summer one time. Have experienced it a few times since tapering. And that cognitive thinking I still get that in morning right after I take the lexapro. Sometimes hard to put words together to speak. 
I used to chase these symptoms through google and dr. It only makes it worse. It’s hard when symptoms arise but I try to acknowledge it is withdrawals and continue working and living. journaling your symptoms really helps as you can look back and see it was withdrawals and it did go away. I ran in to this last month negative thoughts about got away with me and I stopped and read my notes. Practice self help. 

you do not have brain damage!!!!

you will heal !!!

hang on 💪

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

On 10/5/2021 at 7:24 AM, Nic123 said:

The only thing i seem to remotely enjoy is mindlessly browsing the internet, everything else just seems to hard.

Hi @Nic123 it's good that you can still enjoy this, even if you think it's mindless - its something you can do to distract yourself, and that's important. 

History of depression and anxiety. Symptoms of PTSD. 1998-1999 Venlafaxine 2006-2007 Prozac.2013-15 Sertraline 50mg. 2015 cross-tapered to citalopram 20mg. 2015-2021 Citalopram 20mg (brief increase to 30mg for 2/3 months in 2019. 01/2021 Dropped from 20mg to 10mg, back up to 20mg til June. 25/6/21 stopped CT. Started 50mg 5htp after a week without citalopram in the hope this would balance out my serotonin levels. After 3 days increased to 100mg 5htp. 11/7/21 Stopped 5htp with the intention of reinstating citalopram at 1mg. 16/7/21 Reinstated cit at 1mg. 2/8/21 Increased dose to 2mg. 28/11/21 10% reduction to 1.8mg.

8/12/21 2mg 6/1/22 1.8mg 10/2/22 1.6mg 13/5/22 1.5mg 4/6/22 1.55mg 4/7/22 1.4mg 4/8/22 1.25mg 1/11/22 1.1mg 3/3/23 1mg 18/4/23 0.9mg 2/6/23 0.8mg 4/10/23 0.7mg 11/11/23 jumped off @0.7mg started on 5htp 200mg -400mg, L-Theanine, and L-tyrosine 200mg. 25/11/23 came off 5-htp, l-tyrosine and l-Theanine. 24/12/23 went on 7.5mg mirtazapine. 27/12/23 stopped mirtazapine & reinstated citalopram @.35mg. 1/1/24 increased to 0.5mg. PTSD diagnosis October 2023. 11/11/23 started EMDR therapy for PTSD. Multiple unsuccessful attempts to taper off citalopram. Vegan, otherwise healthy lifestyle. Other medications; tapering off combined HRT. Other supplements; magnesium glycinate, vegan omega3. Completely OFF caffeine (since July 21). Finding it difficult to completely give up alcohol but haven’t had any since 25/12/23. Main symptoms; crushing depression, anhedonia/emotional anesthesia, irritability, rage, anxiety/fear, intrusive thoughts, cognitive fog, inability to focus, restlessness and some insomnia

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone had thoughts like they have a brain tumour ?

• Moderator Emeritus

I've moved the above post from the anhedonia topic to your Intro topic.

We have members who have had brain scans because of how they felt and nothing was found.

However, if you think that there might be another medical cause for your issue then my suggestion would be to get it checked out.  At the very least it will stop any worry that you have.  If it turns out to be nothing then that will be good.  If it turns out to be something, then hopefully it will have been caught early enough for treatment and a good outcome.

Even though a lot of symptoms can be put down to withdrawal, medical issues might occur which are not related to the withdrawal so these need to be checked out by a doctor.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I don't see anywhere here on your personal thread when you were diagnosed with myocarditis as an injury from the Pfizer vaccines.

All serious medical problems interact with each other, one doesn't only "suffer" from just one issue separately from another.

Vaccines, like any other medical treatments can cause side effects that will interact with how well you recover from other issues.

As Chessicat pointed out:

On 11/4/2021 at 9:25 PM, ChessieCat said:

Even though a lot of symptoms can be put down to withdrawal, medical issues might occur which are not related to the withdrawal so these need to be checked out by a doctor.

If you were injured by the shots beyond temporary flu like symptoms, it would be wise to put that information in your signature, the dates of the 2 shots and when you were diagnosed with myocarditis. Depending on how serious your condition or how successful your treatment, this will affect how much this interacts with your WD issues.

Starting ds 2 (12.5 CR'S) = 25 MG PAXIL CR 1/21/15: 1 Pill + 10mg liquid (2 weeks) 2/4: 1 Pill + 9mg Lq (3 weeks) 2/25: 1 Pill + 8 mg lq (1 week) 3/4: 1 Pill + 6 mg lq (2 weeks) 3/18/15 1 Pill + 4 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/1/15 1 Pill + 3 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/14/15 1 Pill + 2 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/29/15 1Pill + 1 mg lq (16 days) 5/15/15 1 12.5 mg Pill ONLY (9 days) 5/24/15 12 mgs liquid (8 days) 6/1/15 11mg lq (12 days) 6/13/15 10 mg.  12/3/15 Drop from 8mg to 7.6 (24 days to) 12/27/15 7.2mgs 8/4/16 6.8mgs,  11/1/16 6.4mgs, 2/5/17 6 mgs  4/3/17 5.6mgs, 4/24/17 5.2mg, 6/13/17 4.8mgs, 9/20/17 4.4mgS, 11/23/17 4 mgs, 1/1/18 3.6 mgs, 2/15/18 3.2 mgs. 4/13/18 2.8mgs, 5/11/18 2.4mgs, 6/10/18 2.0 mgs, 8/4/18 1.6mgs,  9/27/18 1.2mgs, 12/24/18 0.8mg, 3/24/19 0.64 mg,(syringe change issue date?) 4/22/19 0.60 mg, 5/24/19 0.60 mg, 7/7/19 0.52 mgs, 8/4/19 0.44mgs, 11/4/19 0.36mgs, 2/1/20 0.28mgs, 3/1/20 0.24mgs (crash April 6) Compound started 6/28/21: 0.24mgs, 8/29/21: 0.22mgs, 10/31/21: 0.20mgs, 1/03/22: 0.18mgs, 3/5/22: 0.16mgs, 5/5/22: 0.14mgs.

Original Wellbutrin Dose: 6 months from 9/14 to 3/2015, 300 XL 3/15/15: Half to 150 XL ( severe symptoms started on day 12) 4/16/15: 125mg   for 20 days to: 5/6/15:   100mg  for  15 days to: 5/21/15    75mg  for  10 days to: 6/1/15:  56.25mg      13 days to: 6/13/15: 37.25mg    7 days to: 6/20/15  28.12mg   14 days to: 7/4/15  18.75mg, 7 days to: 7/11/15; RAISE BACK TO: 28.12 to 8/14/15: 18.75mg  20 days to :9/3/15 : 12.5mg, 8/4/16 9mg 1/9/17: 8.5mg 2/8/17 8mg, 3/9/17: 7.6  4/9/17  7.2  5/27/17 6.4 6/24/17 5.8, 8/1/17 5.0, 8/29/17 4.2mgs, 10/2/17 3.5mgs, 12/28/17 2.5mgs, 2/27/18 1.7mgs,  4/19/18 0.8 mgs, LAST DOSE: 6/11/18:  3 YEARS, 2 MONTHS, 27 DAYS...

Does anyone have experience with black seed oil? A friend recently purchased me a bottle for some heart inflammation I’m going through as apparently it’s very good for that. But after reading about it saw that it works on serotonin as well, from testing they did on rats which doesn’t really say very much.

ive taken 2 and didn’t feel any different but don’t want to mess around with neurotransmitters if it actually does. Possible it doesn’t though and I’m just overthinking it as it does have some very good benefits. 

• 4 months later...

@Nic123 How are you feeling now? I suffer with the same problems as you?  Would be nice to hear some hope! Right now i just walk around like a zombie and feel like i have lost my whole self. It is very scary i think!

June-July -21 Zyprexa 2.5-7.5 mg 

July -21 Mianserin 20 mg four days

July-Aug -21 Valium 30 mg a day, tapred, return of symptoms 

Aug-Oct -21 Oxazepam Tapred from 10 mg x 3 to zero

Dec-Jan -21/22 On and off mirtazapine 15 mg. Kindling reaction?

March 8.-19. - Zopiclone 7.5 mg to combat insomnia 

March 20 - 5 mg valium because of akathisia and panic 

April 3. - 5 mg x 2

@Nic123 i’d like to hear how you’re getting on as well

-lexapro 10mg daily from 2012 to 2021 (halfed dose in 4/2021, went all the way off 6/21)

-various benzos 2014-2019... valium 2019-10/2021~20mg, inconsistent but daily dosing
10/9-17.5mg 10/23-15m 11/29 - 12.5 12/24 - 12 12/31 - 11.5 
2/27/22 - 11 3/31 - 10.5 4/14 - 10 5/3 - 9.5 5/15 - 9 6/6 - 8.5

• 3 months later...

@Nic123

Any improvement?

I suffer from a similar story like you, but as right now only 3 months in.

January 2021 - Took Effoxor 37.5mg then 75mg

June/July 2021 - Stopped taking Effoxor. (Cold turkey - had to reinstate 37.5mg two days later because of vomiting and then tapered quickly over the next few days). Mild withdrawal that lasted two weeks.

February 2022 - took 7.5mg Mirtazapine

4th April 2022 - stopped taking Mirtazapine 7.5mg (no tapering - I didn’t know about it until I was heavy into withdrawal.)

October 2023 - Escitalopram 1mg for two weeks, stopped because of strong heart issues (not that it did anything else except side effects)

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

Currently taking Hormonal Contraceptive for PCOS since age of 13 (changed few brands over the years) and Probiotics

Occasionally Vitamins

• 4 weeks later...

I'm right here with you @Nic123 . taking it one day at a time.

2016: started sertraline 25mg - upped dose to 75mg and tapered down to 25mg.

2017: June - skipped doses to taper sertraline 25mg. December - reinstated sertraline 25mg

2018: October - skipped doses to taper sertraline 25mg. 

2019: January - reinstated sertraline 25mg because of dp/dr symptoms

2020: October - basically CTd sertraline 25mg. enter protracted withdrawal.

2021: Dec 9th - ADR to sertraline reinstatement at 25mg. Dec 10th - Zopiclone 2.5 mg. Dec 11th - zopiclone 5 mg. Dec 17th(?) - sertraline 25mg.

Dec 24th - sertraline 25mg. Dec 25th - sertraline 25mg.

December/January: was double dosing b12 1000mcg at some point :$

• 9 months later...
On 11/11/2021 at 1:31 PM, Nic123 said:

Does anyone have experience with black seed oil? A friend recently purchased me a bottle for some heart inflammation I’m going through as apparently it’s very good for that. But after reading about it saw that it works on serotonin as well, from testing they did on rats which doesn’t really say very much.

ive taken 2 and didn’t feel any different but don’t want to mess around with neurotransmitters if it actually does. Possible it doesn’t though and I’m just overthinking it as it does have some very good benefits. 

how are you now??

2021 Apr: zoloft 50mg eventually up to 200mg

2022 Oct: zoloft quick taper down to 50 mg (Nov) quit at 50mg mid-Nov 

2022 late Dec - Feb 15 '23: ativan 0.5 mg-1mg  on and off 

2022 Dec 30 - Jan 20: zoloft 75mg for 3-ish weeks 

2023 Jan 24: prozac 20mg taken 4 days (bad reaction)

2023 Jan 27: mirtazipine 15mg | (TRIED SWITCHING TO 25mg or 50mg ZOLOFT FROM FEB 12-13 WHILE ON MIRTAZIPINE, bad reaction) | Feb 13-15 '23: 30 mg | Feb 16-18: 15 mg, Feb 19 - current: 7.5mg 

-Since mid-Jan have taken a number of sleep pills only once and Gabapentin (200-600 mg) taken as needed, have tried CBD on and off, fish oil, antibiotics for UTI

-Since Feb 19 I have taken only 7.5mg Mirtazipine and the occasional fish oil, nothing else