SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

BrokenWings: recovering

BrokenWings

Hello fellow sufferers, I have lurked on these forums for a few years and have decided it was time to post my introduction thread. I would like to thank Altostrata and the administrators for all the help they are providing to the millions of people affected by these horrific drugs. Words cannot express the gratitude I have for the information and guidance you are providing. Information and guidance that is practically impossible to acquire from the medical field.

I have had depression and anxiety since early childhood. It became all too much for me when I started college and eventually had to drop out at the ripe age of 20 years old. This is the point of my life where I got introduced to the quackery of psychiatry and the evil practices of the pharmaceutical industry. I went to see a psychiatrist and after a mere ten minutes my diagnosis was Major Depressive Disorder. He prescribed 50 mg of Zoloft and 0.5 mg of Klonopin as needed. The only thing these drugs ever did was dumb me down, rob me of all my emotions, and turn me into a zombie. I was eventually able to go back to college and get a degree but it was a struggle as my concentration and memory were greatly impaired. I was able to enter the workforce and had a well-paying job for several years until the drugs finally took their toll. I could no longer manage my stress levels and had to leave the workforce. Since then, I have been unable to hold a job due to my inability to manage stress and function. This has gone on for about 21 years.

I only used Klonopin as needed for 1 month and quit cold turkey. It was not helping and I saw no point in taking it anymore. My dosage of Zoloft fluctuated from 50 mg to 150 mg over the years. I tried to quit multiple times before my current attempt. I was also abusing alcohol consumption during this time which was contributing to my problems. On my first attempt, I quit cold turkey.  At the time I had no knowledge of withdrawal or the dangers of quitting cold turkey. Frustrated with how Zoloft turned me into a zombie, I wanted to see if I could manage without it. I was feeling great until I crashed into acute withdrawal after about six months. I returned to my psychiatrist and reinstated to my previous dosage of 75 mg which was eventually bumped to 100 mg. I stayed on this dosage for several years still frustrated with how the drugs made me feel with no improvement to my anxiety or depression. My second attempt to quit was at the advice of my psychiatrist over the course of two weeks cutting the dosage in half each time until I reached 0 mg. I was fine again for three months until I crashed into acute withdrawal again. I went back to the psychiatrist loaded with questions of withdrawal and drug dependency. He said I was relapsing and these drugs were not addictive nor could you become physically dependent. I reinstated to 100 mg for a few weeks and then bumped to 150 mg. My last attempt to rid myself of these poisons resulted in taking matters into my own hands as I no longer trusted my psychiatrist. This is the point where the drugs started producing physical symptoms and signs of my body breaking down. My body could also no longer tolerate alcohol. At 150 mg, I developed mild gastrointestinal symptoms which progressively got worse. I decided enough was enough and began researching while I quit drinking alcohol and started a rapid taper of Zoloft over the course of about one year. I reduced from 150 mg to 100 mg to 75 mg to 50 mg to 25 mg to 12.5 mg to 0 mg with two-month hold periods before reducing. I only wish I had researched and found out how to properly taper at no more than a ten percent reduction. Before I describe the hell that I entered during acute and post-acute withdrawal, I want to make note that my depression and anxiety levels were less intense and immensely easier to manage before taking Zoloft and Klonopin. I was still functioning properly and able to go about my day. It was only after starting and stopping these drugs where my life and inability to function began to progressively deteriorate.

During my rapid taper I was relatively stable until towards the end of the taper. I had my ups and downs but they were manageable. All hell broke loose about two months after my taper completed. These are the symptoms I have had to endure since the start of acute withdrawal: Depression, anxiety, anger & rage outbursts, crying outbursts, anhedonia, lack of motivation, suicidal thoughts, ruminating thoughts, insomnia, tinnitus, muscle pain, nerve pain, nausea, gastrointestinal symptoms, fatigue, burning skin sensation, night sweats, vertigo, headaches, brain fog, impaired memory, myoclonus, light sensitivity, sound sensitivity, lack of appetite. The acute withdrawal was pure hell on earth and probably lasted four months. I have been in a state of post-acute withdrawal accompanied by a never-ending cycle of waves and windows since.

It has been 39 months since I stopped Zoloft and Alcohol and I am still struggling. My waves have been fairly consistent lasting anywhere from seven to ten days. During a wave, my symptoms vary. I am unable to function when in a wave and usually bedridden. Windows last anywhere from two to three weeks and I am functioning and clear-headed most of the time. Over time these symptoms have become less intense and my waves seem to have gotten shorter with extended windows. However, I can still be hit with a wave that appears as if I have hit ground zero and I have to start all over again. This is extremely discouraging and eats away at my hope of healing and functioning like I was before taking these poisons. I am eating as healthy as I can and supplementing with Fish Oil, Magnesium, Vitamin D, and Vitamin B-12 to help support my body and nervous system.

I am furious and outraged with the ignorant medical field and even more outraged at the evil practices of the pharmaceutical industry. I have read a lot of information on these forums and countless success stories to help keep me going. I am reaching out for reassurances and guidance. I hope that one day I can say I have healed and can post my success story.

Edited by arbor

BrokenWings: Introduction

Zoloft (Sertraline) 50 mg to 150 mg
Start Date: 2/1/2000
End Date: 1/26/2018

Quit cold turkey, Quit multiple times using recommended tapering from a psychiatrist over 2 weeks, Quit using rapid taper over about 1 year 150mg to 100mg to 75mg to 50 mg to 25 mg to 12.5 mg to 0mg.

Klonopin (Clonazepam) 0.5 mg as needed
End Date: 3/1/2000

Quit cold turkey after one month.

• arbor changed the title to BrokenWings: Recovering
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome BrokenWings,

Thank you for sharing your experience.  I have to say, I’m “furious and outraged” with you!

But your strength is remarkable.  To me it suggests a great capacity for happiness and deepening joy the further away from the effects of the medications and alcohol you become.  Also, I applaud your initiative to pay attention to what was happening and to finally question the doctors.  Bravo(a)!  I wish I had done so sooner.  The symptoms you describe over the course of your withdrawal are so challenging.  I commiserate as they are similar to my own.

Since you’ve been following this site, you probably are familiar with many of the topics.  This is your introduction where you can ask questions, keep a record of your progress, and connect with other members.  I encourage you to reach out for support.  It certainly seems that giving and receiving support is an enormous tool in all of our recoveries.

Here are some sites for further encouragement:

The Power of Neuroplasicity

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

From your description, it sounds as if you are definitely headed in the wave and window pattern toward recovery.   It takes time, but healing can and will happen.   I find reading the Success Stories as you mention, helpful for bolstering my patience.

Glad you're here,

Arbor

Many of the symptoms you describe, I too am experiencing. 

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

• Moderator Emeritus

What a truly amazing story. I am in deep and sincere admiration of your strength and courage to go through this.  

On 4/30/2021 at 5:15 PM, BrokenWings said:

I went back to the psychiatrist loaded with questions of withdrawal and drug dependency. He said I was relapsing and these drugs were not addictive nor could you become physically dependent. I reinstated to 100 mg for a few weeks and then bumped to 150 mg.

We hear this on the forum repeatedly.  It is amazing the sheer ignorance of these doctors.  

Over time these symptoms have become less intense and my waves seem to have gotten shorter with extended windows

This shows that you are recovering.  I feel confident that you will eventually have a full recovery, but it will take time.  For some people it takes years.  I'm in my 4th year of recovering from Lexapro. I do understand how discouraging the waves can be, especially when we feel as bad as we did in early recovery.  You have come so far.  Like you, I no longer trust doctors, and you won't get me within a mile of any psychiatrist.  

Hang in there!  I'm glad you found us. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Thanks arbor for the kind words of encouragement and additional information. I hope you are getting closer toward the light at the end of the tunnel. How are you doing these days? It looks like you have had to deal with withdrawal from multiple drugs.

Quit cold turkey, Quit multiple times using recommended tapering from a psychiatrist over 2 weeks, Quit using rapid taper over about 1 year 150mg to 100mg to 75mg to 50 mg to 25 mg to 12.5 mg to 0mg.

Thanks getofflex! It has been a real struggle and the setbacks are frustrating. I was hoping I would be one of the lucky ones and healed within a year or earlier, but considering my drug history It is likely I will have to endure multiple years. I hope you are improving and heal soon. Hang in there.

• Administrator

You've very welcome, @BrokenWings

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi @BrokenWings  You're kind to ask.  My progress has been uneven--which I've discovered of course, is not unusual.  One of the hard things for me is to remember that the bumps aren't permanent.  That it takes this long to heal surprises the people around me as well.  I know it's hard for them to understand what's going on.  This month marks my one year anniversary of being off Metformin.  It's a diabetic drug which I was able to stop because without the AD's I no longer had diabetes!!  However, I believe it also changes our systems radically.  Not surprisingly, I could find no studies done on discontinuation.  I'm so happy to be off the heart medications as well.   I've developed a deep aversion to doctors--The loss of rapport and faith in their skills and interest has also been a sadness on top of the real horror of w/d.  

Eventually we both "took matters into our own hands" and I'm proud of us for that--

Sending you happiness and freedom from w/d💗

Arbor

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

@arbor The uneven progress is the most frustrating part of this process. If this were a linear recovery it would be much easier to handle. It is great that you were able to get off diabetic and heart drugs. Bravo!  I now know that Zoloft was contributing to my high cholesterol and triglyceride levels. I was also borderline pre diabetic while on Zoloft. Once I ceased taking the drug my levels dropped back to the normal range. I am sure abstaining from alcohol and changing my diet also had an impact, but I have read studies on how antidepressants have an effect on your cholesterol and sugar levels.  All prescribed drugs can wreck havoc on the body. Unless you have an adverse reaction the changes are usually so subtle you won't notice them until your body can no longer tolerate it. I hope one day the truth comes out and justice is served to the pharmaceutical industry. I wish you well and pray for your freedom from withdrawal hell.☀️

-BrokenWings

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi @BrokenWings Thank you for your well wishes.  I'm curious about your sleep.  What kind of patterns have you noticed? or changes?  What about the brain fog?  Are there things you can identify that move you into a window?  I had a hard time with the second vaccine.  I certainly hope that wasn't an issue for you!

Here's to freedom from WH (w/d hell)!!!!!

Arbor

• Moderator Emeritus
On 5/2/2021 at 2:54 PM, BrokenWings said:

Thanks getofflex! It has been a real struggle and the setbacks are frustrating. I was hoping I would be one of the lucky ones and healed within a year or earlier, but considering my drug history It is likely I will have to endure multiple years. I hope you are improving and heal soon. Hang in there.

I appreciate your well wishes, thank you!  I am improving, albeit very slowly, and with lots of ups and downs.  However, one of my biggest coping techniques is seeing the glass as half full, so I focus on how thankful I am to have the gradual improvement.  

On 5/4/2021 at 11:56 AM, BrokenWings said:

The uneven progress is the most frustrating part of this process.

I couldn't agree more!  There have been so many times I was chagrined and discouraged to get hit by a sudden unexpected wave.  Thankfully, the waves are less frequent now.  They mainly happen when I'm under extra stress.  

Please hang in there.  We are all troopers.  We will come out of this with more inner strength and wisdom, I believe. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

@arbor I am just coming out of a pretty bad wave after my longest window to date of about 1 month. I am frustrated and feel like I am starting all over again.

When I am in a wave my sleep pattern is bad. The insomnia is horrible, my mind races too much and I have terrible headaches from the increased intensity of tinnitus. When I am in a window my sleep patterns are normalized. I usually get 7 to 8 hours of sleep. My windows and waves are very distinct. My waves are intense and I can't function at all. My windows are mostly clear headed although sometimes there are symptoms that bother me. Brain fog is constantly present but it's not too bad when I am in a window. My transition into a window from a wave is gradual as symptoms start to ease. My windows usually end abruptly out of nowhere, my mood plummets and I crash. Sometimes, the transition is gradual and I have a few days of feeling lousy and then crash into a wave.

I had a reaction to both does of the vaccine, but it was mild and only lasted a day. Hoping for our freedom from this hell to come soon.

@getofflex Thank you for the words of encouragement. I am just coming out of a bad wave after having my longest window to date. I am certain too much stress triggered it, but I have had basically no stress tolerance ever since I started taking these toxins.

I am glad you are improving, I know I am too, but it sure does not feel like it at times. Stay strong!

• Moderator Emeritus
14 hours ago, BrokenWings said:

I am certain too much stress triggered it, but I have had basically no stress tolerance ever since I started taking these toxins.

I can totally relate.  I'm in the same boat here.  The fact that this recovery is extremely gradual, and it seems to come and go, is an ultimate test of our patience.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear @BrokenWings  I commiserate with all that you and @getofflex are describing, and so appreciate both of you sharing because it's easier for me knowing we're not alone.  My stress intolerance and intolerance in general is one of my biggest difficulties....

I also have a question about your recent wave and thought I'd send it on the ephemeral wing of this west coast moment back to the future where you are in NJ.  It's a lightweight conjecture because I keep finding that every time I think I've found a cause and effect pattern to these w/d symptoms, it's busted.  Nevertheless, I'm wondering if your wave wasn't exacerbated by the vaccine.  I went right back to some original acute reactions after my 2nd vaccine.  It's taken me a month to re-stabilize to where I was before getting it.  Perhaps your physical symptoms weren't problematic, but it perhaps could have triggered the recent wave.   Also I think it's interesting that lingering symptoms of Covid survivors can sound similar to what we experience in psychiatric meds w/d.  

I'm belaboring this because I'm hoping to encourage us that this might have been a logical set back and not a sign that we're not healing.  I've adopted (for this week) the idea that w/d might be related to a kind of auto-immune problem caused by the meds that will--breath by breath--straighten itself out.

Sorry if I'm imposing a theory.  It makes sense to me, but above all, I wish for us healing.  I hold your recovery in my heart.

Arbor

@arbor I am not ruling out the possibility of the vaccine triggering a reaction for those in PAWS. This most recent wave could have been a delayed reaction for me. I have also read that some Covid-19 survivors have had neurological damage and are experiencing similar symptoms that we are. I'm not surprised, as they also have damaged central nervous systems. I think your theory holds weight and It makes sense to me as well.

@BrokenWings @getofflex @arbor what I completely forgot to mention in my Paxil 3 days story was the I CT due to severe nausea but the day I CT’d I had to take the my second dose Covid 19 vaccine , which I now reflect may have created the adverse reaction that drove me to WD symptoms even after only 3 days of using Paxil... so I think you may be on to something with regards to the vaccine causing flare ups

2018 - Zoloft for 5 days then CT due to severe nausea , no severe withdrawals and no adverse reaction.

OCT 2020- vitamin D (5000iu) -which I know now is too high dosage and looking back it now I realize it was causing mood issues, which led me to search for ADs.

2021 - Paxil 3 days  (Feb 16,17,18)CT due to severe nausea ( side note day of CT I got my second dose of covid 19 vaccine which could have further destabilized my CNS) then 4 weeks later severe adverse reaction that included every single WD symptom on here.

2021- month out ( April 05, 07)not knowing what was going on went to ER twice and was placed on hydroxyzine and Reglan (anti-nausea) ( which I know now affects serotonin levels also) nothing helped.

Then went to two different psychiatrists one who referred me to GI for the nausea denying Paxil had anything to do with my symptoms, the second one prescribed me Buspirone Klonopin, and Trazadone ( I refused to take neither , thank God) I had feeling it still was the Paxil.

April 30th -CT everything Bc nothing was helping and miraculously found this website SA and saw every symptom I was going through.

Currently no drugs, only fish oil in the evenings. !!! 

• Moderator Emeritus

@arbor@BrokenWings@Paxil3dayswould you all mind putting this in the thread about covid19 vaccinations, to give other people a heads up?  Thanks!  

COVID19 vaccine

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi @BrokenWings  How are you doing?  

@arbor I am in a window right now, although I have had some hiccups with mood changes and a tinnitus flare up. You are kind to ask, how are you doing?

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm so happy to hear that you're in a window right now @BrokenWings.  Very relieving.  I have a good strong feeling that you are headed out of w/d and into recovery🌟

I've had a set back.  A friend recently tried to commit suicide and the stress of the shock and concern for him plus the stress of dealing with the medical world has me laying low today.  Your window is giving me an uplift...

Stay in touch💗

Arbor

@arbor I am so sorry to hear about your friend, I hope he has the support he needs. I can certainly understand the amount of stress you must be under. I hope your set back is short lived. Keep fighting! 💙

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, @brokenwings--Your kind understanding is really a boost.  Yesterday the doctors overwhelmed his resolve and he's now on Zoloft.  Two counselors both recommended that drugs not be used, but it no longer occurs to the medical community that other means than drugs exist.  They want a quick diagnosis, and a quick fix.  I'm dedicating today to letting go of my animosity towards their arrogance.

Thank you, again!  Arbor

@arbor 😢It's sad that the first option to the majority of the medical community is drugs. The system is designed this way and it needs to change. Take it easy and try to take your mind off it, I know all to well how hard it is to do just that.

Hello fellow sufferers, I have lurked on these forums for a few years and have decided it was time to post my introduction thread. I would like to thank Altostrata and the administrators for all the help they are providing to the millions of people affected by these horrific drugs. Words cannot express the gratitude I have for the information and guidance you are providing. Information and guidance that is practically impossible to acquire from the medical field.

I have had depression and anxiety since early childhood. It became all too much for me when I started college and eventually had to drop out at the ripe age of 20 years old. This is the point of my life where I got introduced to the quackery of psychiatry and the evil practices of the pharmaceutical industry. I went to see a psychiatrist and after a mere ten minutes my diagnosis was Major Depressive Disorder. He prescribed 50 mg of Zoloft and 0.5 mg of Klonopin as needed. The only thing these drugs ever did was dumb me down, rob me of all my emotions, and turn me into a zombie. I was eventually able to go back to college and get a degree but it was a struggle as my concentration and memory were greatly impaired. I was able to enter the workforce and had a well-paying job for several years until the drugs finally took their toll. I could no longer manage my stress levels and had to leave the workforce. Since then, I have been unable to hold a job due to my inability to manage stress and function. This has gone on for about 21 years.

I only used Klonopin as needed for 1 month and quit cold turkey. It was not helping and I saw no point in taking it anymore. My dosage of Zoloft fluctuated from 50 mg to 150 mg over the years. I tried to quit multiple times before my current attempt. I was also abusing alcohol consumption during this time which was contributing to my problems. On my first attempt, I quit cold turkey.  At the time I had no knowledge of withdrawal or the dangers of quitting cold turkey. Frustrated with how Zoloft turned me into a zombie, I wanted to see if I could manage without it. I was feeling great until I crashed into acute withdrawal after about six months. I returned to my psychiatrist and reinstated to my previous dosage of 75 mg which was eventually bumped to 100 mg. I stayed on this dosage for several years still frustrated with how the drugs made me feel with no improvement to my anxiety or depression. My second attempt to quit was at the advice of my psychiatrist over the course of two weeks cutting the dosage in half each time until I reached 0 mg. I was fine again for three months until I crashed into acute withdrawal again. I went back to the psychiatrist loaded with questions of withdrawal and drug dependency. He said I was relapsing and these drugs were not addictive nor could you become physically dependent. I reinstated to 100 mg for a few weeks and then bumped to 150 mg. My last attempt to rid myself of these poisons resulted in taking matters into my own hands as I no longer trusted my psychiatrist. This is the point where the drugs started producing physical symptoms and signs of my body breaking down. My body could also no longer tolerate alcohol. At 150 mg, I developed mild gastrointestinal symptoms which progressively got worse. I decided enough was enough and began researching while I quit drinking alcohol and started a rapid taper of Zoloft over the course of about one year. I reduced from 150 mg to 100 mg to 75 mg to 50 mg to 25 mg to 12.5 mg to 0 mg with two-month hold periods before reducing. I only wish I had researched and found out how to properly taper at no more than a ten percent reduction. Before I describe the hell that I entered during acute and post-acute withdrawal, I want to make note that my depression and anxiety levels were less intense and immensely easier to manage before taking Zoloft and Klonopin. I was still functioning properly and able to go about my day. It was only after starting and stopping these drugs where my life and inability to function began to progressively deteriorate.

During my rapid taper I was relatively stable until towards the end of the taper. I had my ups and downs but they were manageable. All hell broke loose about two months after my taper completed. These are the symptoms I have had to endure since the start of acute withdrawal: Depression, anxiety, anger & rage outbursts, crying outbursts, anhedonia, lack of motivation, suicidal thoughts, ruminating thoughts, insomnia, tinnitus, muscle pain, nerve pain, nausea, gastrointestinal symptoms, fatigue, burning skin sensation, night sweats, vertigo, headaches, brain fog, impaired memory, myoclonus, light sensitivity, sound sensitivity, lack of appetite. The acute withdrawal was pure hell on earth and probably lasted four months. I have been in a state of post-acute withdrawal accompanied by a never-ending cycle of waves and windows since.

It has been 39 months since I stopped Zoloft and Alcohol and I am still struggling. My waves have been fairly consistent lasting anywhere from seven to ten days. During a wave, my symptoms vary. I am unable to function when in a wave and usually bedridden. Windows last anywhere from two to three weeks and I am functioning and clear-headed most of the time. Over time these symptoms have become less intense and my waves seem to have gotten shorter with extended windows. However, I can still be hit with a wave that appears as if I have hit ground zero and I have to start all over again. This is extremely discouraging and eats away at my hope of healing and functioning like I was before taking these poisons. I am eating as healthy as I can and supplementing with Fish Oil, Magnesium, Vitamin D, and Vitamin B-12 to help support my body and nervous system.

I am furious and outraged with the ignorant medical field and even more outraged at the evil practices of the pharmaceutical industry. I have read a lot of information on these forums and countless success stories to help keep me going. I am reaching out for reassurances and guidance. I hope that one day I can say I have healed and can post my success story.

I’m glad you are doing okay! If I had of known what I know now I would of never took these meds. My head hurt constantly scares me to be exact one min it’s hurting on one side then all over just pressure. I feel as if some wrong in there but they assured me it’s a adverse reaction was only on the pills for one week. Now here I am trying to adjust back to the new normal. 

Zoloft 50mg prescribed 

Zoloft 25 mg start date April 5 2021

Zoloft 25 mg stop date April 9 2021

Cause all type of adverse reactions didn’t know how bad these meds could do your body 

No meds prior to this medicine 

Supplements fish oil B12 

@Neka I wish I could say I was doing okay! The reality is I am still struggling. Any amount of stress seems to set me back into a wave. It's extremely discouraging. I am certain we all would never have taken these drugs if we had been given proper informed consent. I am sorry you had an adverse reaction and are suffering as a result. I hope and pray you heal sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, BrokenWings said:

@Neka I wish I could say I was doing okay! The reality is I am still struggling. Any amount of stress seems to set me back into a wave. It's extremely discouraging. I am certain we all would never have taken these drugs if we had been given proper informed consent. I am sorry you had an adverse reaction and are suffering as a result. I hope and pray you heal sooner rather than later.

Yes I’ll be praying for the both of us this here shall pass. I keep the faith because this group have given me faith of what these psych drugs will do to your body. 

Zoloft 50mg prescribed 

Zoloft 25 mg start date April 5 2021

Zoloft 25 mg stop date April 9 2021

Cause all type of adverse reactions didn’t know how bad these meds could do your body 

No meds prior to this medicine 

Supplements fish oil B12 

I have been feeling really low these past few days. It feels like I am in between a wave and window. I have no motivation to do anything and feel hopeless. I need some encouragement. My mind is telling me this will never end. It seemed like my cycles were improving, but now it feels like I am getting nowhere. Is this common? I am desperate to be a functioning human being again.

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh, these waves are unbelievably difficult.  You've come so far, @BrokenWings.  I truly believe you will regain your functioning self.  Hang in there.  The waves can really be deceiving, but your window is coming, and eventually longer and more frequent windows until you find yourself freer and freer, and you feel you can trust your basic health again.  

One of the hard parts of the waves for me is feeling that they will never end.  I know it's a form of anxiety, while w/d and waves already cause the undercurrent of restlessness and anxiety.  Here are a couple of topics from under self-care that I hope you might find helpful.  Please know I send you support and commiseration--

Arbor💗

AOh14GgdXoO2KwbnP1NFtoJHUKRiEvM7K8LE4c166-FT3A=s80
ReplyForward

@arbor Thank you for the words of encouragement and the self-care resources. I have looked into the Claire Weekes method and have made attempts to apply them, but many times the symptoms are just too overpowering :( The anxiety over the last few days has been off the charts.

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear @BrokenWingsI'm really sorry you're experiencing this terrible anxiety.  One of its symptoms is to forget any other state of being unfortunately.

Perhaps "Changing the channel" could help some.  This is from Alto under the topic heading:

“One of the techniques I've used to deal with withdrawal symptoms is what I call "changing the channel." It's a composite of whatever works, to switch from bad feelings to more of an emotional equilibrium. Changing the channel is particularly effective with the neuro-emotions of withdrawal syndrome, which come out of nowhere, can be very intense and painful, and then in minutes or hours or days, disappear like a summer rainstorm passing through.

It's a way of managing the distress while not adding to it with very understandable worry, fear, or panic. The key is to understand you have a feeling self, who is sometimes overwhelmed by emotions, and an observing self.

You feel a feeling, and your observing self knows you are feeling a feeling: "Oh, I'm feeling so sad." The technique is very simple: When you recognize you are in the midst of an unpleasant emotion, change the channel by doing something more pleasant or constructive or healthy. It can be anything, any psychotherapeutic technique, your choice: - Switch your thoughts to puppies and kittens, or people you love. - Do slow, meditative deep breathing. - Play with your pets. - Cuddle your children, or significant other. - Phone a friend to say hello. - Take a walk in an interesting part of town, or in a park. - If you like cognitive behavior therapy, do CBT. - Do some gardening, look at trees and flowers. - Go to the store and smell all the spices. - Wash the dishes. - Read a book or magazine you've been interested in.

Gentle physical activity like taking walks, breathing regularly, looking at trees, flowers, and interesting sights is good for you in 4 ways -- the physical activity helps your autonomic nervous system to regularize and it stimulates the growth of new brain cells (neurogenesis). Looking at pleasant things puts pleasant images into your memory that you can replay. Plus, you are taking care of yourself and this will build your confidence. (I mentioned "changing the channel" to my therapist the other day and to my surprise, she had never heard of it. It seems I might have invented it! Anyway, she liked it a lot.) This seems like something each of us does in his or her own way. What do you do to change the channel?”

In the meantime, I commiserate and send you best wishes toward your inevitable recovery,

Arbor

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear @BrokenWingsI'm wondering how you're doing?  Is the anxiety still off the charts?  If it's any comfort, you're not alone.  And mine too has been highly disturbing recently.  Sleeplessness, etc.  It makes it so hard to live any kind of life.  Anyway, I'm hoping you're doing better.

Thinking of you,

Arbor

@arbor Thank you for asking. Yes, the anxiety has gone down to manageable levels and I'm in a window at the moment. I agree, the anxiety and depression that usually accompanies it makes life unbearable. I'm hoping your current anxiety levels reduce soon. Hope all is well and keep fighting. 💙

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, @BrokenWings.  This is good news.  So promising--toward your general improvement and healing.  And thanks for your well-wishes.  I feel fortified!

Glad you're there,

Arbor

• 3 weeks later...

I recently had another long wave of about 8 days which felt like waves I have had at the start of withdrawal. This has ended and I am in a window now. I am curious if it is normal to have such intense waves this far into withdrawal? Waves still cripple me and I am mostly bedridden during them. Are there any indicators or signs that withdrawal is nearing its end or do waves and windows just stop abruptly?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi @BrokenWings--Good to hear from you.  But so sorry you've been having such a difficult wave.  Good news that you're in a window now.  You might want to read through the Success Stories.  My sense is that the end of w/d varies a lot.  The good news I take from other people's successes is that while it can take them a long and miserable time, they still recover.  I know you will too.  In the meantime, I sure commiserate....

Arbor🕊️

@arbor The success stories are what keep me going. I just wish there was a clear indicator of when you are nearing the end of withdrawal. I hope you are doing well and closer to recovering from this hell. 💜😺