Goodluck: Mirtazapine / Remeron withdrawal 4 months after 0

goodluck

Dear forum members

I write here for the first time and welcome you all warmly! I come from the land of chocolate, mountains and pharmaceutical giants...., Switzerland! The doctors are also here very happy, to prescribe psychotropic drugs for every little problem...!

I took 7 years ago, in January - March 2014 for the first time in my life psychotropic drugs(Benzodiazepine / Temesta), receved from my doctor against a burnout and the associated insomnia. Already after three months my life was out of control. I experienced hell on earth with this drug and went through withdrawal in May / June 2014 in a clinic. 

During the withdrawal, I died in my mind about 1000 times. It was and still is the most horrible time of my life. 

Due to the extreme withdrawal symptoms, I was given an antidepressant (mirtazapine 30 mg) after completely stopping the benzodiazepine. Terrible symptoms showed up with this medication as well, so I very slowly reduced it again since 2014 and stopped it completely four months ago. 

With each smallest reduction of Mirtazapine, I experienced weeks and sometimes months of waves with the worst withdrawal symptoms, so that it took me a total of almost 7 years to finally get to 0 mg. I am very proud of this result and yet even today, 4 months and 10 days after 0  I still experience bad, recurring waves with the following symptoms:

- Severe headaches and abdominal pain
- Massive nausea
- Strong abdominal and chest pressure with shortness of breath
- Total inner tension and nervousness
- Intermittent insomnia
- Total hopelessness and fear of not being able to heal anymore

I had a window of almost 10 days until 4 days ago and already thought I was cured. Unfortunately, after these beautiful days, I once again tried to do moderate sports (cycling / golf), which again triggered a surge of symptoms. Sport seems to trigger the symptoms again and again.

The aftermath of this episode is horrible. I am once again caught in a wave that has triggered the previously mentioned symptoms. At the moment I again feel like I can't survive the whole thing. 

- Do any of you have any tips for me on how to better survive the particular waves of symptoms? 

- Can anyone explain to me why exercise / sport triggers the symptoms so strongly?

- Can these symptoms ever go away?

I am in desperate need of help and would greatly appreciate any answers from you guys!!!

Thank you very much in advance for your kind words and I wish you all the strength, the hope, the courage and the perseverence to successfully get off the medication.

Warm regards to all of you

Goodluck

PS: My english is not that good, so I used the help of a translator programm. Hope you can understand the sense / meaning. 

Jan.  – April            2014                    Burnout / Exhaustion depression / 3 weeks total insomnia / Benzodiazepin / Temesta 1 – 4 mg / Drug was increased continuously

May                        2014                    Withdrawal in a Swiss Clinic / most horrible experience of my life / the feeling of having died 1000 times / 3 years completely unable to work / worst symptoms such as chest pressure, shortness of breath, severe abdominal pain and headaches

June                       2014                    Mirtazapin/Remeron 30 mg /due to the strong withdrawal symptoms and the strong fears

July 2014  -  Dez. 2020                    Reducing & stopping the Mirtazapin / Remeron completely / steady reductions of 5 - 10 % with horrible symptoms / recurring terrible waves lasting weeks and months at the beginning. During the entire seven years, I only had short windows of one to a maximum of 10 days, which however, kept showing up

Dez. 2020                                          From 1 mg to 0 at Christmas 2020. 

Dec. 2020 -   Apr.  2021                   Violent waves and windows, but the feeling that things are getting better 

April - May             2021                    Horrible wave since April 28., (after a wonderful, practically symptom-free window of around 10 days - April 18. - April 28. 2021) with emotionally life-threatening symptoms after sport (moderate golf & cycling) / Helplessness, hopelessness and the feeling of having to die. Restlessness, chest pressure, severe shortness of breath, abdominal and stomach                                 

My main problem for the past seven years has been the sudden and long-lasting waves after sports, massages, hot baths, therapies, infusions, etc., which cause me extreme anxiety and make me believe that I cannot survive the whole situation. Although i have already survived dozens of waves, i still feel a strong sense of death in my abdomen every time i experience the strong waves of symptoms. 

I took Vitamin D, K2, Omega 3, Magnesium for the last month. I got Biltricide 600 mg / Total 12 pcs over 6 Weeks (2 pcs a week) against parasites about 3 months ago. 

Goodluck - Withdrawal story.pdf

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  I congratulate you for getting off of the Temesta and mirtazapine!  This is indeed a major accomplishment.  

Have you seen a doctor to rule out other causes of your symptoms - especially the chest pressure, and shortness of breath, and also the abdominal pain and headaches?  

First of all, can you please give us specific information about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise list (no symptoms), only drug names, specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Also, as we are recovering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. 

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

Here is information about symptoms of psych drug withdrawal. 

Glenmullen on Symptoms

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

You may consider trying a small reinstatement.  This involves going back on a small dose of your drug.  It is best done very carefully.  This is temporary, and after stabilizing you would then taper gradually off of this. This could lessen your withdrawal symptoms and make them bearable.  There is some risk involved, and we need more specifics about your drug history before we can suggest a good dose at which to reinstate.  Here is some information about reinstatement.  

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

16 hours ago, goodluck said:

- Can anyone explain to me why exercise / sport triggers the symptoms so strongly?

Exercise, especially intense exercise, often triggers people going through AD WD (antidepressant withdrawal).  If my understanding is correct, I believe it is because it causes our body to produce cortisol, which activates our nervous system, which triggers symptoms.  Some of us can do mild, gentle exercise, which is what I do.  I usually walk outside every day.  This thread talks about how exercise affects different people in withdrawal: 

Exercise in Withdrawal

Exercise Inducing Withdrawal

16 hours ago, goodluck said:

- Can these symptoms ever go away?

Yes, they can, and I believe they will for you.  It takes a long time for our nervous system to heal, since it is very complex.    There are people in here who had complex and long drug histories who have recovered.  Check out the success stories in this forum. 

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Please read through it, and mull it over, and we will take it from there. In the meantime, take care of yourself, and take heart.  We in this forum have been through this, and we understand first hand the pain and discomfort you are going through.  Please know that the brain is amazing in it's healing abilities.  It takes time, but healing can and will happen. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• getofflex changed the title to Goodluck: Mirtazapin / Remeron withdrawal / 4 months after 0

Dear Getofflex

Thank you so much for your reply! I'll study them and write you back soon.

Under "profile information" I have already documented the details of my history. You write me to enter my detailed medication history under "signature". Where do I find "signature" on my account to enter the notes. 

Thank you very much for your information.

Best regards

Goodluck 

Jan.  – April            2014                    Burnout / Exhaustion depression / 3 weeks total insomnia / Benzodiazepin / Temesta 1 – 4 mg / Drug was increased continuously

May                        2014                    Withdrawal in a Swiss Clinic / most horrible experience of my life / the feeling of having died 1000 times / 3 years completely unable to work / worst symptoms such as chest pressure, shortness of breath, severe abdominal pain and headaches

June                       2014                    Mirtazapin/Remeron 30 mg /due to the strong withdrawal symptoms and the strong fears

July 2014  -  Dez. 2020                    Reducing & stopping the Mirtazapin / Remeron completely / steady reductions of 5 - 10 % with horrible symptoms / recurring terrible waves lasting weeks and months at the beginning. During the entire seven years, I only had short windows of one to a maximum of 10 days, which however, kept showing up

Dez. 2020                                          From 1 mg to 0 at Christmas 2020. 

Dec. 2020 -   Apr.  2021                   Violent waves and windows, but the feeling that things are getting better 

April - May             2021                    Horrible wave since April 28., (after a wonderful, practically symptom-free window of around 10 days - April 18. - April 28. 2021) with emotionally life-threatening symptoms after sport (moderate golf & cycling) / Helplessness, hopelessness and the feeling of having to die. Restlessness, chest pressure, severe shortness of breath, abdominal and stomach                                 

My main problem for the past seven years has been the sudden and long-lasting waves after sports, massages, hot baths, therapies, infusions, etc., which cause me extreme anxiety and make me believe that I cannot survive the whole situation. Although i have already survived dozens of waves, i still feel a strong sense of death in my abdomen every time i experience the strong waves of symptoms. 

I took Vitamin D, K2, Omega 3, Magnesium for the last month. I got Biltricide 600 mg / Total 12 pcs over 6 Weeks (2 pcs a week) against parasites about 3 months ago. 

• Administrator

Those notes in your profile are confidential. To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Dear Altostrada

Thank you so much for your informations about the "signature". I took the necessary steps and created my signature as best as I could. I hope it meets the requirements of the forum. 

Warm regards

Goodluck

Dear Gettoflex
Dear Altostrada

I have created my signature hopefully as you intend it in the forum. Also I have attached my history to the signature in PDF form.
I hope very much that you can transmit me on the basis of this information possibly the one or other tip. 
At the moment I'm emotionally and physically relatively bad and I feel really lost....!
Thank you very much for your help.
Best regards and all the best

Goodluck

• Moderator Emeritus
23 hours ago, goodluck said:

At the moment I'm emotionally and physically relatively bad and I feel really lost....!

Have you had the chance to read the links I gave you in my initial response above?  What are you symptoms? 

Also, in that post, I suggested a possible reinstatement.  What do you think of that idea?  The purpose would be to lessen your withdrawal symptoms.  Then when you stabilize, you would taper very slowly off the rest of the drug.  You could try going back on 1 mg.  We start at a very low amount and see how you do, then take it from there.  Let me know what you think.  

Here is a link that can help you with dosing the small amount: 

Tapering and Dosing Mirtazapine

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

Dear Gettoflex

Thank you very much for your message and your tip about taking a small dose of e.g. 1 mg mirtazapine again. 

My current symptoms are the following:

- Severe abdominal pain due to internal tension / nervousness.
- Severe flatulence
- Chest pressure with shortness of breath
- Headache and head fog
- A recurring feeling of not being able to survive the whole thing / dying from it

Unfortunately, based on my terrible previous experience with the drug Mirtazapin / Remeron, this is not a solution for me. My body and soul refuse with all their might to take this poison again in the body. Because of benzodiazepine and mirtazapine I have had the worst months and years of my life so far and have been without psychotropic drugs for almost 5 months now. I do not want to give up this success lightly despite all the bad current symptoms. I hope you understand. 

If you or anyone else on the forum can give me positive tips on how to best get through the times with the bad symptoms, I am wholeheartedly grateful to all of you.

All the best and much strength to you and all the sufferers on the forum

Goodluck  

11 hours ago, getofflex said:

Have you had the chance to read the links I gave you in my initial response above?  What are you symptoms? 

Also, in that post, I suggested a possible reinstatement.  What do you think of that idea?  The purpose would be to lessen your withdrawal symptoms.  Then when you stabilize, you would taper very slowly off the rest of the drug.  You could try going back on 1 mg.  We start at a very low amount and see how you do, then take it from there.  Let me know what you think.  

Here is a link that can help you with dosing the small amount: 

Tapering and Dosing Mirtazapine

• Moderator Emeritus
On 5/8/2021 at 1:35 AM, goodluck said:

Unfortunately, based on my terrible previous experience with the drug Mirtazapin / Remeron, this is not a solution for me

I totally get and respect this.  You do not want a reinstatement.  I can't blame you, and I commend you for being willing to tolerate the discomfort without the help of drugs.  

On 5/8/2021 at 1:35 AM, goodluck said:

My current symptoms are the following:

- Severe abdominal pain due to internal tension / nervousness.
- Severe flatulence
- Chest pressure with shortness of breath
- Headache and head fog
- A recurring feeling of not being able to survive the whole thing / dying from it

These all sound like psych drug withdrawal symptoms.  It would be wise to have a doctor check them out, in case you haven't already - especially the chest pressure with shortness of breath. 

here is information about symptoms:  

Important Topics about Symptoms

Here are some things that can help cope with the symptoms. 

Health Anxiety

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

Also, it can help a great deal to read the success stories in the forum: 

Success Stories

• 1 month later...

Dear Members

Now it has actually been 6 months since I completely stopped the remaining dose of mirtazapine of 1.0 mg at Christmas. This was the best Christmas present of my life, which I was able to give myself in December 2020.

I was basically aware of what was to come in the next few months based on the testimonials on the forum. However, what I have experienced so far during withdrawal far exceeds my fears. At the moment, i.e. since about 6 days, after a wonderful window of about one week, I am stuck in a new wave, which I would never have expected in this strength and vehemence. This gnaws once more very strongly at my morale.

As I have already experienced and communicated many times, I feel an incredible inner security and strength during practically every window, which leaves me with the impression in these wonderful moments of healing that I have now finally overcome the roughest thrusts of withdrawal. It was no different this time. The happiness lasted about 7 days and once again felt terrific.

Then, when suddenly the inexplicable inner turmoil starts overnight and strong flatulence appears the day after, which lasts for two to three days, this usually heralds a new, violent wave. My body is so filled with air during this period that I am afraid to take off....! This time the wave has come over me in a brute form afterwards and brings me again to the edge of despair. The head/abdominal/chest pressure and the associated shortness of breath is making me really despair at the moment and I am more than grateful for any help in the form of well-intentioned, positive words from fellow sufferers and those recovering.

Unfortunately, my mind is once again telling me that I will not be able to survive this wave, and I feel the same way.

I have not yet found a personal recipe for myself to pull myself out of the quagmire in these moments. No therapy and no powder from natural medicine seem to help in any way during these wave days.

It is the positive reports from short and long term sufferers that are able to build me up again in the worst moments. Can anyone recommend me some more beautiful healing stories in this regard?

I thank everyone who reads my lines and I am happy about every positive advice and hint. I wish you all a lot of strength, hope and perseverance to successfully complete the project "psychotropic drug withdrawal", regardless of the associated adversities and the time it takes.  

All the best

Goodluck

Dear Members

Now it has actually been 6 months since I completely stopped the remaining dose of mirtazapine of 1.0 mg at Christmas. This was the best Christmas present of my life, which I was able to give myself in December 2020.

I was basically aware of what was to come in the next few months based on the testimonials on the forum. However, what I have experienced so far during withdrawal far exceeds my fears. At the moment, i.e. since about 6 days, after a wonderful window of about one week, I am stuck in a new wave, which I would never have expected in this strength and vehemence. This gnaws once more very strongly at my morale.

As I have already experienced and communicated many times, I feel an incredible inner security and strength during practically every window, which leaves me with the impression in these wonderful moments of healing that I have now finally overcome the roughest thrusts of withdrawal. It was no different this time. The happiness lasted about 7 days and once again felt terrific.

Then, when suddenly the inexplicable inner turmoil starts overnight and strong flatulence appears the day after, which lasts for two to three days, this usually heralds a new, violent wave. My body is so filled with air during this period that I am afraid to take off....! This time the wave has come over me in a brute form afterwards and brings me again to the edge of despair. The head/abdominal/chest pressure and the associated shortness of breath is making me really despair at the moment and I am more than grateful for any help in the form of well-intentioned, positive words from fellow sufferers and those recovering.

Unfortunately, my mind is once again telling me that I will not be able to survive this wave, and I feel the same way.

I have not yet found a personal recipe for myself to pull myself out of the quagmire in these moments. No therapy and no powder from natural medicine seem to help in any way during these wave days.

It is the positive reports from short and long term sufferers that are able to build me up again in the worst moments. Can anyone recommend me some more beautiful healing stories in this regard?

I thank everyone who reads my lines and I am happy about every positive advice and hint. I wish you all a lot of strength, hope and perseverance to successfully complete the project "psychotropic drug withdrawal", regardless of the associated adversities and the time it takes.  

All the best

Goodluck

Dear forum members

Some time ago I described my health situation (see text before) and unfortunately I have not received any answer yet. 

After I am once again in a very strong wave with almost unbearable symptoms, I wonder if I am possibly depositing my reports on a wrong page. 

I am surprised that only members who run the forum answer and no other affected persons. 

At the moment I am suffering from symptoms like strong chest pressure, shortness of breath, anxiety and strong nausea and nerve pain (internal nerve flutter in the abdomen and chest). Nevertheless, I definitely don't want to take any more psychotropic drugs and therefore need help in another form to alleviate the symptoms. Does anyone have any tips for me?

I am grateful for any positive feedback.

Best regards

Goodluck

• Moderator Emeritus
On 6/23/2021 at 1:18 AM, goodluck said:

Now it has actually been 6 months since I completely stopped the remaining dose of mirtazapine of 1.0 mg at Christmas.

Congratulations for getting off of the mirtazapine! This is a very significant accomplishment.  

I am stuck in a new wave, which I would never have expected in this strength and vehemence. This gnaws once more very strongly at my morale.

I'm very sorry to hear you are in a new wave.  I can understand that this is discouraging and disheartening.  

Many of us on here often feel that the waves are unbearable.  Remind yourself that you survived the previous waves, and you can also survive this one.  Try to stay in the moment, and practice radical acceptance.  Acceptance will help to lessen the pain, because when we don't accept it, we have the pain of anger and anxiety about the wave on top of the wave itself.  

https://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/radical_acceptance_text.html

We have many healing success stories in the forum.  Go to the home page, and about halfway down are the success stories.  Here is one about someone who successfully recovered from mirtazapine: 

Ox123 My Mirtazapine Story

10 hours ago, goodluck said:

I wonder if I am possibly depositing my reports on a wrong page

No you put it on the right page.  The forum is run by volunteers who are also going through our own psych med withdrawal, so we can't always get back to members right away.  

I am surprised that only members who run the forum answer and no other affected persons. 

Try going into the intro threads of other members who are suffering and offer them some support.  Chances are good that some of these people will return the favor.  

At the moment I am suffering from symptoms like strong chest pressure, shortness of breath,

Hopefully you are under the care of a primary care physician, and he is keeping track of your heart health. If not, it wouldn't hurt to have this checked out. 

Personally for me, when I get in a wave my coping techniques are: 

• acceptance
  • slowing down and being very gentle with myself
  • avoiding chaotic and stressful people and situations where I can
  • keeping myself busy with my hands to distract me from how bad I feel (light gardening, knitting, cooking, building something, repairing something, etc) 
  • prayer and bible reading 
  • reading success stories
  • go to YouTube and check out The Lovely Grind channel of Michael Priebe.  He got off Xanax and Paxil after 15 years, and his videos are very uplifting and encouraging:   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuPoxyZksrRlDJojuJeNs2g

Please hang in there.  This will get better sooner or later.  

Dear Gettoflex

Thank you so much for the detailed and valuable answers to all my questions and fears.

It was not at all a complaint when I asked again, but a cry for help on my part. I am very aware of how valuable and helpful the work of the forum members is.

Now I am already for more than two weeks in one of my heaviest wave and the abdominal and chest pain and the associated, severe nausea is almost unbearable. I see no way out at the moment, as psychotropic drugs are no longer an option for me, despite all the suffering.

It is also becoming very difficult within the relationship with my wife. I am very irritable and angry and can no longer deal with the situation after these long time of withdrawal.  Understandably, my wife feels the same way. We don't know how to go one. 

I pray that God will hear me and help me heal now.

I wish you and all the sufferers in the forum all the best and thank you for the constant support!

Warm regards from Switzerland

Goodluck

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm so sorry that you are going through this.  As unpleasant as it is, I believe that usually the best way out of being a prisoner of psychiatric drugs is to bear the pain, and tough it out, and wait for our nervous system to heal itself, while taking care of ourselves in natural ways.  That is what I have done in my case, and it has very slowly gotten better.  There are many non drug ways to cope with the symptoms.  It could be that the Biltricide is complicating things.  It's very good that you had a window.  As time goes on, the waves should eventually lessen, and the good times increase.  I would avoid the intense sports, massages, hot baths, etc that seem to increase your symptoms.  Have you tried any of the coping techniques in the link I gave you on May 9?  Here is another link with extensive information about symptoms and ways to cope: 

Topics About Symptoms Including Sleep Problems

Hang in there, and stay the course.  Your brain will heal, given enough time.  

Edited by getofflex

Dear Getofflex

First of all I would like to apologize for the misspelling of your name in my last message and at the same time thank you for the dear and valuable message you sent me.

I have looked at the links you sent me on May 9 and am incorporating one method or another into my plan for recovery. 

I guess there is nothing left but to accept that the healing will take months and possibly even years. This is extremely difficult to understand in a wave like the one I am going through at the moment, in which one's life is so threatened by the massive symptoms.

I wish you all the best with all my heart and hope very much that you too will continue to experience steady healing from day to day.

Warm regards

Goodluck 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/4/2021 at 12:16 PM, goodluck said:

I have looked at the links you sent me on May 9 and am incorporating one method or another into my plan for recovery.

I'm glad to hear this.  Recovery from these drugs is hard work, but in the meantime we learn coping skills, maturity, patience, and fortitude that will serve us and others well for the rest of our lives.  

On 7/4/2021 at 12:16 PM, goodluck said:

I guess there is nothing left but to accept that the healing will take months and possibly even years.

Yes, this is true, unfortunate but true.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Have you checked out the success stories?  Here are a couple: 

Ox123 Mirtazapine Story

Freespirit A Life Free From Antidepressants

Dear Getofflex

Once again my best thanks for your reply. It is so helpful and uplifting for me to be supported in a violent wave.

The success stories are balm for my soul and give me hope again, despite all the severe symptoms, to experience full recovery, even if this may take some time.

Thank you also for thinking of me and including me in your prayers.

I wish you all the best, best health and thank you for the valuable work you do for all of us in the forum! 

Warm regards

Goodluck

• Moderator Emeritus

Your'e welcome, @goodluck.  I'm praying for you right now. I'm very sorry you are in a violent wave.  I hope you get a chance to read some of the other success stories as well. These really helped me when I was in a bad wave. 

Dear Getofflex
Dear forum members

Thank you very much for your prayers, which have probably already had an effect. The many symptoms have fortunately diminished and life is easier for me again.

I have some questions regarding sport. I have always noticed that practically every sporting activity is the trigger for subsequent, massive symptoms. 

For this reason, I have deliberately avoided sports activities for the last few years. I do, however, walk between 3-4 miles daily when possible, which does not trigger any symptoms.

A few days ago I went for a 30 minute walk followed by a 5 minute jogging and repeated the same thing. Just a few hours after that I experienced the onset of a wave again. This usually starts with extreme, inner tension and nervousness, then leads to strong flatulence, which lasts for 2-3 days, and after that I usually experience strong head/abdominal and stomach pain for about 14 days, which resembles poisoning. The chest pressure and shortness of breath are fortunately hardly present at the moment.

My questions to Getofflex and the forum:

- Why is it that even such moderate exercise as 5 minutes of jogging can 
   trigger such symptoms.

- What exactly is happening in the body to cause such symptoms of intoxication.

- Is this all related to histamine?

- Can I ever expect to be able to exercise again without having to endure long waves afterwards? 

The whole thing unsettles me a lot and I definitely don't dare to do sports anymore because of it. 

I thank you for any information that can help me in any way or at least explain the situation to me.

Warm regards 

Goodluck 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/14/2021 at 3:40 AM, goodluck said:

- Why is it that even such moderate exercise as 5 minutes of jogging can 
   trigger such symptoms.

In my original post, I gave two links towards the end that talk about this.  We can't give you an exact technical reason.  My understanding is that moderate to intense exercise causes our body to produce cortisol and adrenaline.  Both of these are activating chemicals.  When we are in WD, our nervous systems already tend to be overly activated, resulting in symptoms such as anxiety, panic, fear, restlessness, agitation, sleeplessness, OCD type thoughts, etc.  The nervous system is connected to all the other systems in our bodies, so then we get the stomach issues, headaches, etc.  

What exactly is happening in the body to cause such symptoms of intoxication.

Not sure what you mean by symptoms of intoxication.  

- Is this all related to histamine?

I don't know.  Here are threads about histamine and WD. Perhaps you will glean some insights: 

Antipsychotic WD and Histamine

Histamine Food Intolerance

- Can I ever expect to be able to exercise again without having to endure long waves afterwards?

I think you probably will be able to eventually.  It takes many months to years for many of us to recover from AD WD.  I'm sorry I can't be of more help.  I imagine it must be very frustrating to not be able to do the things you want to do.  However, with plenty of time and patience, this should eventually resolve itself.  Hang in there - you did a brave thing be getting off of the psych meds, and some day you will be able to do more in regards to exercise.  

Edited by getofflex

Dear Gettoflex

Thank you very much for answering my questions and for your valuable advice. 

I am learning more and more every day to deal with the symptoms and realise that probably only time and a positive attitude can heal the symptom-wounds. 

I am still reading through the various articles you mentioned in the forum.

I wish you all the best. It's nice that you exist! Thank you for your constant help and your time!

Warm regards

Goodluck

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/19/2021 at 8:54 AM, goodluck said:

only time and a positive attitude can heal the symptom-wounds. 

You got it!  Time and patience and a good attitude are key, which it sounds like you have.  

On 7/19/2021 at 8:54 AM, goodluck said:

It's nice that you exist!

This made my day.  Thank you.  😀

• Mentor

@goodluck  I am so sorry that you are going through much pain.  I really wish I could lesson some of it for you.  This can feel like a lonely journey,  but remember always you are not alone.  Please reach out to other members.  We are all here to help each other.  I am glad you are feeling comfortable and expressing your pain.   I would recommend you read and post on  kenA t thread.  He is very close to writing up his success story.  His story will show you that healing is possible.  He shares his pain and what has helped him along his journey.  You can also post and ask for advice from a lot of the members that have posted their success stories.

As you get to know more members you will feel less alone and part of a community. 

Mia1 is very helpful in teaching you how to find acceptance.  I lean on her quite a bit. 

Who's success stories have you read?  Maybe I can recommend some that I enjoyed.

Have you tried meditation?  I really never thought I would meditate until withdrawal hit.  Like you we all get very desperate at times and disheartened,  meditation is suggested on here many times.  All you really have to do is close your eyes and pay attention to your breath.  What it is trying to do is to stay in the moment and disconnect from your thoughts.  So when you start thinking you gently pull away from your thoughts and refocus on your breath.  I like to lay down under my weighted blanket on my bed, so if I have a hard time redirecting my thoughts I know that I have rested and I am teaching my body how to relax.  I can send you a link on a guided meditation" Healing Chronic Pain Meditation".  Chronic pain comes in all forms not just physical.  I used it the other day for my depression.

Hope you are having a better day.  Stay strong😊

Please feel free to post to me 

If  you want to get a member or a mods attention you @ type the persons name and it will appear then click on the name and it will highlight in blue like your name did.  The person will get a notification that someone is posting to them.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg , 0.05mg 4/1/2024   0

Lamictal  taper  4/17/ 2022 25mg, 9/9/ 22 -20mg, 9/25/22- 15mg , 10/20/22-   0

Trazodone..2023.>down to 14mg, 7mg, 6mg  July 2023   0

Xanax  0.0625 3 x a day,  2023>  0.042 3x a day

Supplements  Magnesium glycinate, Omega 3, D3, vitamin c , zinc, NAC 

Dear Grateful

Thank you very much for your lovely message, which I read with great pleasure. It is always balm for the soul to hear from other sufferers and to receive their valuable tips and advice.

I have already written to kenA in the meantime. I love to read success stories that bring back my hope for a complete cure. You are very welcome to send me details of the success stories you mentioned, if you can find the time. 

I will reach out to other members to discuss any unanswered questions. 

Meditation has always been very difficult for me. I tend to get nervous and restless when it is too quiet around me. However, this was especially the case during the time of withdrawal from mirtazapine and is much better now, 7 months after completely stopping mirtazapine.  I would be very grateful if you could send me the link for the meditation you describe. I will definitely try it again.

For the last 7 days and nights I have been completely symptom free and every day feels like a new life!!! 

I dare not speak of a definitive cure yet because of my experience with waves and windows so far, but I am convinced that I will be able to share my success story with all of you soon as well. However, I am also aware that my positive attitude is no longer the same in days of waves. 

I hope and trust that the waves will decrease with each month after 0 mirtazapine and I am proud to have been able to live completely medication-free for seven months already.

Every day of the last 7 years in withdrawal was worth suffering to be able to experience such feelings again as it was the case in the last symptom-free days and nights. These feelings can probably only be felt so incredibly beautifully without medication.

I wish you all the best from the bottom of my heart, lots of strength, patience, will and hope so that you can fully recover from stopping the psychotropic drugs and, of course, long, lasting windows without any symptoms.

Warm regards

Goodluck

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, goodluck said:

Every day of the last 7 years in withdrawal was worth suffering to be able to experience such feelings again as it was the case in the last symptom-free days and nights. These feelings can probably only be felt so incredibly beautifully without medication.

I very much agree.  I'm so thankful to feel like a whole person again, instead of just a half of a person on antidepressants, because so much of my emotional and spiritual life was snuffed out by these drugs.  

• Mentor

@goodluck  I am glad you are in a window, may it last forever.   Congratulations for persevering the last 7 years.☺️

tweet success is a good one

cocopuffz is also good

aeroman  is  good

They are all good. It amazes me the strength that they found to go through the nightmare.  

Go to the forms and find success stories and read, read, read

Nice to hear from you.  Hang in there you are doing great.  

Here is the meditation.  Don't be put off by the title Healing chronic  pain.  Like I said pain comes in all forms not just physical.  I change what pain I want to identify with.  Depression, anxiety, Neg thoughts etc.  All pain comes out in the body some how.  Use with headphones if you have them.  But it is not necessary. 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg , 0.05mg 4/1/2024   0

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Goodluck

It is soo good to hear that you are doing sooo good for the last week. IN case you need some good links for hypnosis in case or real stress and sleeplessness the ones which helped me a lot in my toughest days were these:

2015 -  2016 Xanax only rescue doses of 0.125 mg 1-2 times per month
 March 2016 0.125Mg * 2 Xanax for 10 days.

20 March 2016 0.25 Mg * 2 Xanax for one week. 1 April 2016 Tranxene 5 mg and Fevarin but bad reaction for 5 days.4 April 2016 25 Mg Amitryptiline + 6 MG bromazepam at night

Started tapering Bromazepam 6 days later reached up to 3 MG in 10 days and withdrawal. Pdoc asked to go 6 MG again.

10 of May started Remeron 15 MG and started tapering Bromazepam again.

SINCE 09/06/2016 BENZO FREE - Started Tapering Remeron 04/07/2016

04/Jul/16 12.8 Mg, 11/Aug/16 12 Mg, 20/Aug/16 11Mg, 3/Sept/16 10Mg, 11/Sept/16 9 Mg, 30/Sept/16 8.1 Mg, 14/Oct/16 7.25 Mg, 17/Nov/16 6.7, 23/Nov/16 6.5, 2/Dec/16 6.25, 9/Dec/16 6Mg, 25/Dec/16 5.7Mg, 4/Jan/17 5.4Mg, 20/Jan/17 5.2Mg, 07/Feb/17 5 Mg, 15/Feb/17 4.8Mg, 27/Feb/17 4.5Mg, 15/Mar/17 4.2Mg, 23/Mar/17 4Mg, 1/Apr/17 3.7Mg, 14/Apr/17 3.4Mg, 27/Apr/17 3.1Mg, 06/May/17 2.8Mg, 22/May/17 2.6Mg, 31/May/17 2.3Mg 09/Jun/17 2Mg, 20/Jun/17 1.7Mg, 29/Jun/17 1.4Mg, 11/Jul/17 1.2Mg, 20/Jul/17 1Mg, 31/Jul/17 0.8Mg, 11/Aug/17 0.6Mg, 23/Aug/17 0.5Mg, 05/Sept/17 0.4Mg, 13/Sept/17 0.3Mg. 22/Sept/17 0.2Mg, 03/Oct/17 0.15Mg, 10/Oct/17 0.1Mg, 23/Oct/17 0.05Mg, 22/Nov/17 0.025Mg, 06/DECEMBER/2017 MIRT FREEE.

Dear Santina

Thank you so much for the two videos! It is incredibly nice of you, how you stand up for others affected.

All the best and steady healing wishes you

Goodluck

Sorry, Santino...!

Dear Gratful

Thank you so much for your help and informations. 

Right now I've been in an intense wave again for four days, which is why I'm just now getting back to you. 

I wish you with all my heart that your recovery continues from day to day and that you get back to full health. 

I'll get back to you as soon as I feel a little better.

Best regards from beautiful Switzerland

Goodluck

• Mentor

@goodluck  Don't worry about me.  You need to take care of yourself. 

If you need a shoulder to lean on I am here for you.

I hope this wave goes by fast for you......☺️

On 7/27/2021 at 4:39 PM, Santino said:

Dear members

I sincerely hope you are all doing better and better each day.

I myself had to realize in the last weeks (and that already 7 months after O mg Mirtazapine...) how close heaven and hell are during withdrawal.

Two weeks ago I experienced happiness on earth during a window of 7 days, only to get caught again in a wave that gave me since 5 days the worst symptoms since months and still does. 

I am trying to endure myself and the symptoms. The negative spiral of thoughts is almost impossible for me to stop due to the sudden resurgence of depressed mood. I feel completely paralyzed. 

I still try everything humanly possible to appreciate even the smallest positive things again in these difficult moments. I went for a long walk with my 15-month-old grandchild today, despite all the very severe symptoms, and was delighted by the laughter and cheerfulness of the little miracle. For me, there is nothing more beautiful in the world than a happy child's laughter. The world would be much better if we could carry the purity and love of childhood into old age. The walk with my little darling touched my heart deeply and helped me to spend a precious day in spite of everything.

I wish you all back soon the happiness and joy that you hopefully felt in childhood. We older ones can learn a lot from the children, especially to live in the moment and to accept the world and things as they are. 

I wish you all a restful and as relaxed as possible weekend!

Warm regards

Goodluck

PS: I hope the English is understandable for you, because I edit my German text partly with a translation program. 

• Mentor

@goodluck  Spending time with you grandchild!  What better way to keep busy and stay in the moment☺️

Your strength and humbleness is a great attribute.  You are an amazing person... Very inspiring.

Your window is right around the corner♥️

Goodluck:

Indeed, grandchildren are a wealth of good feelings about tomorrow....

Just a thought for you....a long time back, we had well water and I came down with giardia (parasite infection).  I didn't have a clue what was wrong with me until I went to a doc who understood parasites very well.  Anyway, prior to treatment, I was getting sick in 7-10 days bouts -- nausea, diarrhea, the works.  The doc informed me that the parasite lays new eggs during this time frame and thus why I would get sick in these cycles.  I will not drink anybody's well water and make sure to always have bottled water when I travel.  

You mention parasite treatment about 3 months ago, so maybe the parasite has not been eradicated.  Have you undergone testing to make sure of this?  

Also, were you withdrawn cold turkey of the benzo?  You might still be suffering from some benzo residual if you were cold turkeyed.  

Best regards,

Shebon

Started 3.75 mg. remeron 4/2013.  Had tapered off benzo 4/2011.  Had tapered down to 1.87 mg remeron but mistakenly thought I was in bad withdrawals, when it was Synthroid again.  Stopped  Synthroid 3/31/3021-side effects are the same as hyperthyroid symptoms, but doctors have no knowledge of this side effect.  Started taper end of 7/2021, now at 3.48 mg. daily.