baderaalfaydi: Paxil withdrawal and the three attemps

baderaalfaydi

Hello.

I hope everone is ok.

My story is long and my english is bad, so please pardon me:)

I was prescribe paxil 20mg by my sister(not a doctor) because my symptoms was the same as her.

After i take it my tinnitis start to play like muisc and I was so terrified thinking i am going schizophreniac. I rush to psychatric and indeed he diagnosed me with SZ and give me olanzapine 5mg and dogmatil 50mg and cipralex 10mg and stop paxil.

After 3 days i almost go crazy.

Unable to relax unable to think unable to sleep. I go to ER and they give me a shot in the butt( i dont know what was). It relax me and i ask my doctor to put me back on paxil and he did and remove cipralex.

I wad on these cocktail for about 4 mounth. 

5mg olanzapine 20mg paxil 50mg dogmatil.

One day i decided to stop everything becuse i was feeling fine.

I mange to withstand against withdrawal for almost 2 month until i collapse in sweating and restless and no sleep. I go back to my doctor. He diagnosed me with bipolar and tell me i am not SZ.

He give me lamotrigine and olanzapine 10mg.

When i take olanzapine i fall sleep for almost 24hr and after that i feel fine for 3 days and then i start sweating and panicking without reason.

After 7 days I start to go back to paxil 20mg and thing get better steadly.

After 1 month i stop all drug and start tapering paxil to 10mg.

One month later 5mg.

One month later i stop.

The symptoms was mild and i even start to feel completely normal after 2 week and discard all prescription paper and dump the remaining paxil pills.

It was only one week until hell broke loose and i start to sweating and getting panic attack and no sleep.

now i am back to 10mg paxil and thing get better after 1 week.

Moral of my story.

1.It was my mistake to get hooked to this evil called paxil.

2.my doctor is careless and misdiagnosed me 2 time and dosnt even think about paxil withdrawal.

3. Olanzapine 10mg might be a relife for symptoms because when i take it i feel fine for 3 days(without paxil)

I dont take because i am afraid of developing SZ from it.

2020-8...Prescribe Paxil 20mg.
2020-9. Diagnosed with schizophrineha and prescribe olanzabine 5mg.(stop paxil) and i almost go crazy and back to paxil 20mg with olanzapine 5mg.
2020-11..stop paxil again and hell broke loose again and diagnosed with bipolar and prescribe olanzapine 10mg and lamotrigine and back to paxil 20mg.
2021-2..quit olanzapine and lamotrigine and start tapring paxil. 10mg.
2021-3..tapring paxil 5mg..
2021-4..quit paxil..
2021-5..feeling not good and reinstated to 10mg.

2022-1...off Paxil 1.5 mg dose

2023-4...Relapse due to toothache, i did not take paxil

2023-5.. Symptoms improved.

• Moderator Emeritus
20 hours ago, baderaalfaydi said:

Moral of my story.

1.It was my mistake to get hooked to this evil called paxil.

2.my doctor is careless and misdiagnosed me 2 time and dosnt even think about paxil withdrawal.

Hello and welcome to SA.

I respectfully do not think it was "your mistake" at all, to faithfully take something prescribed by a doctor as being something that could help you. 

The reason for this site is, in fact, for those of us harmed by merely listening to our doctors. 

The good news is that there is hope for healing, and that's where this community comes in.

Please help us out by creating what's called a "signature," a brief list of drugs and dosages, especially with the most recent. 

Instructions are here: 

By the way, your English seems just fine. Again, welcome. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

On 5/4/2021 at 12:18 AM, SkyBlue said:

Hello and welcome to SA.

I respectfully do not think it was "your mistake" at all, to faithfully take something prescribed by a doctor as being something that could help you. 

The reason for this site is, in fact, for those of us harmed by merely listening to our doctors. 

The good news is that there is hope for healing, and that's where this community comes in.

Please help us out by creating what's called a "signature," a brief list of drugs and dosages, especially with the most recent. 

Instructions are here: 

By the way, your English seems just fine. Again, welcome. 

I forget to mention that my sister was on paxil for 3 month and help her and she quit it cold turkey with 0 symptoms. She now almost 3 years off and completly fine

2020-9. Diagnosed with schizophrineha and prescribe olanzabine 5mg.(stop paxil) and i almost go crazy and back to paxil 20mg with olanzapine 5mg.
2020-11..stop paxil again and hell broke loose again and diagnosed with bipolar and prescribe olanzapine 10mg and lamotrigine and back to paxil 20mg.
2021-4..quit paxil..

• Moderator Emeritus
On 5/4/2021 at 4:38 PM, baderaalfaydi said:

I forget to mention that my sister was on paxil for 3 month and help her and she quit it cold turkey with 0 symptoms. She now almost 3 years off and completly fine

Some people can get away with this, but others can't.  It is a gamble.  To be on the safe side, we suggest a slow and careful taper.  Many people have a terrible time getting off Paxil.  

On 5/2/2021 at 7:51 PM, baderaalfaydi said:

The symptoms was mild and i even start to feel completely normal after 2 week and discard all prescription paper and dump the remaining paxil pills.

It was only one week until hell broke loose and i start to sweating and getting panic attack and no sleep.

now i am back to 10mg paxil and thing get better after 1 week

There can be a delay from the time we make a change to our drugs, and the time the withdrawal sets in.  Also, the more we start and stop psych meds, the more sensitive our nervous systems tend to become to future drug changes.  I would suggest you stay at your current dose of 10 mg Paxil for a good month or two until things settle down, especially since you did the fast taper in the recent past. 

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Tapering is best done extremely slowly, and we taper by 10% of the current dose, so that the taper becomes exponentially smaller.

Why Taper by 10% of my Dosage  

Tips for Tapering Paxil

Also, as we are recovering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. 

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Please let us know how you are doing.  Hang in there, this does get better, with lots of time, and patience.  

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• getofflex changed the title to baderaalfaydi: Paxil withdrawal and the three attemps

Thank you @getofflex.

I think i can deal with all symptoms except sweating.

Sweating make all other symptoms 200% worse. 

2021-4..quit paxil..

• Moderator Emeritus

I hear you on that.  I have had a lot of hot flashes and sweating myself.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Hello.

I am on 10mg paxil after i was on 5mg for about 3 week.

I reinstated because sever withdrawal occure after 2 week stopping the 5mg.

My symptoms pattern is as follow.

After 3 days i have costant brainzap.

1 week later i start to cry and feel depressed(i dont know if the brainzap frustration cause it or its withdrawal).

2 week later the real challange start.

I feel very agitated and sweating and panicking and fever like sympotms with insominia. All in one time, and this were i start to give up and reinstate to 10mg.

My Q is can i jump directly to 5mg and start 10% tapring from there?

I am afraid to damage my brain from multiaple trail and error.

and finallly, are brainzaps bad sign and i should reinstate immidiatdely if it happen?

2021-4..quit paxil..

Hi.

The first time i take paxil i was having really bad blurred vision for about 3 days. This symptom never show again in my three attempts to quit this drug, even though i stay off this drug for almost 4 week. My vision never get blurred from reinstating. Only the first time!

I dont know if this mean that this drug is cause irreversible effect on brain or its half-time is not true.

2021-4..quit paxil..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everone.

Hope all are ok.

I was having weird unpleasant feeling for so long i dont know what its called. Its like akathisia  but i dont want or not having energy to walk.

fatiuged and bloated and unable to relax . I just keep rolling in agony waiting for slight chance of relife.

Can ibs cause this symptoms or its from withdrawal?

2021-4..quit paxil..

• 3 months later...

Is 2.5 mg paxil too much to quit.

Hi,

I was on 2.5 mg of paxil for 4 weeks without any major symltoms, but when i stop taking it i start to have the withdrawall almost immediately(brain zaps, chills, sweating).

Should i reinstate or continue on quitting.

I should note i was tapering from 10mg without any problems.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

2021-4..quit paxil..

Hi

I am on paxil 2.5mg in the 5th week.

I have brain zaps for 4 hrs every day.

The brain zaps stop 2hr after taking the drug and start after 16hr

Should i continue lowering dose or wait for brain zaps to stop?

2021-4..quit paxil..

• ChessieCat changed the title to baderaalfaydi: Tapering Paxil 2.5 mg
  • 4 months later...

Is one week off paroxitine long enough?

Hi. 

I am on 4th attemp to quit paroxitine.

This time i quit at 1.5mg after 4 weeks.

I am now at 8th day without major symptoms. 

Is this good sign or i should wait more before i start to go back to my old life? Like searching for job. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

2021-4..quit paxil..

• 1 year later...

Strong withdrawal symptoms after a year

Welcome! I hope everyone is fine. Can a severe relapse occur after more than a year of leaving the drug. Since I am going through severe anxiety and tension that does not stop, it makes me think about starting to take the medicine again. Symptoms have been for more than a week and are increasingly disturbing. Is there hope to get better or should I go back for treatment 

Edited by manymoretodays
merged and added title

2021-4..quit paxil..

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi @baderaalfaydiand welcome back,

Fill us in please, as to when and how you went off your Paxil again.  Thank you.

You can do that in a narrative form in a reply right here.

And then do update your signature as to when in 2022 you went off Paxil completely.  You can get to your signature using this link:

AccountSettings/signature edits and updates

Yes, it is extremely common to get a Wave, even after a year.   Now you can look above and review some of the topics and information given to you over a year ago.  You'll see the Windows and Waves pattern of stabilization.

Do you have any non-drug coping that you use?

Is this the first Wave you've had since going off Paxil.

Tell us more.

Okay, this is your spot, your Introduction, for information concerning you and your case.

Best,
L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

2 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi @baderaalfaydiand welcome back,

Fill us in please, as to when and how you went off your Paxil again.  Thank you.

You can do that in a narrative form in a reply right here.

And then do update your signature as to when in 2022 you went off Paxil completely.  You can get to your signature using this link:

AccountSettings/signature edits and updates

Yes, it is extremely common to get a Wave, even after a year.   Now you can look above and review some of the topics and information given to you over a year ago.  You'll see the Windows and Waves pattern of stabilization.

Do you have any non-drug coping that you use?

Is this the first Wave you've had since going off Paxil.

Tell us more.

Okay, this is your spot, your Introduction, for information concerning you and your case.

Best,
L, P, H, and G,

mmt

I have no technique to control the symptoms. As for the symptoms, they are the most severe symptoms I have had in more than a year. Is it possible that chronic toothache is the reason for this? 

2021-4..quit paxil..

Hi again.. Today I went to the doctor and he suggested mirtazapine when needed and he told me its effect will be immediate . I refused to go back to the old treatment because of my fear of withdrawal symptoms, but he assured me that I had no fear of this medicine. what do you think? 

2021-4..quit paxil..

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi baderaalfaydi,

So.  January 2022 was your last dose of Paxil? 

And you jumped at 1.5 mg ?

If so, please add this to your signature.

2022 January off Paxil 1.5 mg dose

You might need to consolidate some of those present years, or get them on one line.

I think your dental infection and then procedure may have sent you back into some WD like symptoms including insomnia.

I wouldn't start a new drug now if at all possible.

Try some non-drug coping for insomnia and give it a little more time.  It's not unusual that infections and then procedures will throw one who is in WD.  And especially with you being just over a year out after what may have been a faster taper.

See:

Tips to help sleep

and also:

It doesn't end at 0

I realize you had to have the dental procedure done and am glad it is over.  It likely did get registered by your now healing nervous system as an overwhelming event though.  Unfortunate, but you have to have to take care of your whole health.

So time will be your best option.  You might try something gentler from the Sleep Tips topic too.  Mirtazapine(Remeron) is not your best choice if you wish to remain drug free.

Okay.  Let us know how it goes.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

yes, my last dose was on january 2022.

Currently I still suffer from severe anxiety and sweating. Almost the same withdrawal symptoms. The difference is that there are good days and I rejoice in them, and almost all symptoms go away, but it does not last more than a day, and anxiety, sweating and restlessness return. I began to suspect that perhaps the previous withdrawal symptoms were the disease itself, and the medication had nothing to do with it. Maybe this disease is what causes everything that happens to me, and I have to go back to the medicine and continue on it for the rest of my life, which already does not have much to miss. I don't know what to do especially with the rollercoaster situation. Do I go back to the medication or wait another month? 

2021-4..quit paxil..

the symptoms subsided greatly, thank God. I think the cause was the course of antibiotics or maybe the Diclofenac Free Acid because I found it to be the only one that crosses the brain barrier among the NSAIDs.  

2021-4..quit paxil..

• Moderator Emeritus

Great news baderaalfaydi!  Just add that last dose to your signature please.  Easy access link:  AccountSettings/signature  Hit Save at the bottom.  You might need to condense some years in your present signature into one line or two.  Sometimes the signature will only allow 12 lines total.

On 4/25/2023 at 12:04 PM, baderaalfaydi said:

yes, my last dose was on january 2022.

I was always updating the status, but unfortunately I didn't notice that I was modifying "about" box 

2021-4..quit paxil..

• 2 weeks later...

for three days i didn't feel good.

its like flu but without fever.

i am 173cm and 58kg 44 male and doctor tell me my wight is too low but i always was skinny man.

2021-4..quit paxil..

@baderaalfaydi hi, glad you came back to SA. You anxiety, sweating and restlessness is definitely withdrawal symptoms. Flu like symptoms without fever is also common with withdrawal. Your central nervous system is still healing. Unfortunately this can take a long time to heal. Many on here have had issues taking antibiotics just like you also. You have done great getting this far. Just be patient with your healing. Be kind to yourself. Time will heal you. Can you read about CBT and breathing exercises to help with anxiety? 

20 yr+ Paroxetine/ Dec2018-May 2022 20 mg/ May 2022 30mg/2022.07.28-2022.08.24 30mg to 0mg/ August 24-29 2022 10mg Prozac/2022.11.28-2022.12.04- 5mg Paroxetine/Dec 5&6/22 10mg Paroxetine/ Dec 8&9/22 10mg Prozac/ 2022.12.07 to 2023.07.01 5mg Paroxetine

TAPER 23.07.02-58mgpw/4.9mgai/ 23.07.21-4.8 mg/23.07.28-4.73 mg/23.08.04-4.65 mg/21.09.23-4.58 mg/27.10.23-4.56 mg/5.12.23-4.54 mg/2.1.24-4.52 mg/9.1.24-4.51 mg/17.1.24-4.49 mg/26.1.24-4.47 mg/6.2.24-4.46 mg/19.2.24-4.44mg /4.4.24-4.43mg

8am-probiotics/9am-paroxetine, 200mg mag bisglycinate/ 1000mg Vitamin D/noon-1000 mg algae oil (500mg DHA/10mg EPA/620mg Omega 3)/5pm-75 mg DGL/200mg calcium citrate/8pm-.25 mg melatonin

"... your strength will be in keeping calm..."-Isaiah 30:15

I am not a medical professional just your peer. The suggestions I give are based on personal experience and/or the well documented experience of others.

14 hours ago, LostInCanada said:

@baderaalfaydi hi, glad you came back to SA. You anxiety, sweating and restlessness is definitely withdrawal symptoms. Flu like symptoms without fever is also common with withdrawal. Your central nervous system is still healing. Unfortunately this can take a long time to heal. Many on here have had issues taking antibiotics just like you also. You have done great getting this far. Just be patient with your healing. Be kind to yourself. Time will heal you. Can you read about CBT and breathing exercises to help with anxiety? 

Can withdrawal symptoms return after more than a year of quitting the medication? 

2021-4..quit paxil..

@baderaalfaydi I know people on here have had waves of withdrawal return after a year. I don't know if you were ever over withdrawal though. You stopped taking Paxil at 1.5 mg. I think the recommended stopping dose is .016 mg. The dental issues and antibiotics can affect your CNS but hopefully you can be patient and give it time. This is unfortunately normal.

20 yr+ Paroxetine/ Dec2018-May 2022 20 mg/ May 2022 30mg/2022.07.28-2022.08.24 30mg to 0mg/ August 24-29 2022 10mg Prozac/2022.11.28-2022.12.04- 5mg Paroxetine/Dec 5&6/22 10mg Paroxetine/ Dec 8&9/22 10mg Prozac/ 2022.12.07 to 2023.07.01 5mg Paroxetine

TAPER 23.07.02-58mgpw/4.9mgai/ 23.07.21-4.8 mg/23.07.28-4.73 mg/23.08.04-4.65 mg/21.09.23-4.58 mg/27.10.23-4.56 mg/5.12.23-4.54 mg/2.1.24-4.52 mg/9.1.24-4.51 mg/17.1.24-4.49 mg/26.1.24-4.47 mg/6.2.24-4.46 mg/19.2.24-4.44mg /4.4.24-4.43mg

8am-probiotics/9am-paroxetine, 200mg mag bisglycinate/ 1000mg Vitamin D/noon-1000 mg algae oil (500mg DHA/10mg EPA/620mg Omega 3)/5pm-75 mg DGL/200mg calcium citrate/8pm-.25 mg melatonin

I am not a medical professional just your peer. The suggestions I give are based on personal experience and/or the well documented experience of others.

1 hour ago, LostInCanada said:

@baderaalfaydi I know people on here have had waves of withdrawal return after a year. I don't know if you were ever over withdrawal though. You stopped taking Paxil at 1.5 mg. I think the recommended stopping dose is .016 mg. The dental issues and antibiotics can affect your CNS but hopefully you can be patient and give it time. This is unfortunately normal.

Today I had a big fight with a pharmacist who called the police. At the beginning of the quarrel, I thought maybe if I went too far and let out my anger, I would feel relief from the symptoms of anxiety, but now I am afraid of the effect of this situation on me psychologically. 

2021-4..quit paxil..

@baderaalfaydi look up neuro-emotions on here. Remember that stress is not good for healing. I feel for you. 

• 8 months later...

First, I quit Paxil more than two years ago, and things were going well after about a year, but I noticed that I get anxious easily recently. Specifically, any health symptom that lasts for more than three days causes me stress that continues even after the health symptom ends. Should I go back to Paxil or are there better ways to solve this problem? 

2021-4..quit paxil..