SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

DaBro 2 years, not 2 weeks Pfizer, but finally healed

Oh no that’s made me panic a bit, you still have ruminating thoughts after all these years? Mine are just about WD and nothing else, I just think about it constantly! It’s my worst symptom so I was hoping this leaves me to have a clear mind soon, I guess it won’t be that easy!

Do you ruminate about one thing or anything? It’s scares me 😟 

Sertraline 100mg (1 day) then 50mg for 8 weeks March 2020 - May 2020 bad reaction, no medications until October 2020 mirtazapine October 2020 until 7th July 2021 didn’t realise I was in sertraline WD during this time also started natural progesterone January 2021 and started supplements to reduce cortisol and oestrogen April 2021 also Metformin as has insulation resistance not sure if to still take this currently on no medications  

• Mentor

It tends to be flashbacks and self criticism about past events, and goes after an hour or so. It’s not really rumination (which I had) as that is more like being on a mental treadmill and not being able to change the channel.

my comment wasn’t meant to alarm you. Like all WD symptoms, the frequency and intensity reduces over time and you get more able to pigeonhole emotions for what they are. Just thoughts. I suppose I was saying I understand and empathise but it does get better. I’m wiped out mentally right now, but I’ve had a full on week at work and have made it to the end of Friday, tomorrow I’ll be ok. A year ago I couldn’t do much after 1-2 days of work and 2 years ago I couldn’t work or function more than 2-4 hours a day. Doing the weekly shop exhausted me. It’s horribly slow, but we will all get there. I did as did others in this ‘recovery stories’ section. 

For me, when unhelpful thoughts come, I know the symptoms will go and I find distraction tactics help, even just taking a walk listening to a podcast. 

be kind to yourself and patient. Know you will heal and know that the weird and unpleasant stuff you’re experiencing is WD/healing, not you. 

50 mg Sertraline Nov 2016 to Dec 2016

100 mg Sertraline Jan - March 2017

50 mg Sertraline April - June 2017

25 mg Sertraline July 2017 - Sept 2018

12.5 mg Sertraline Oct 2018

0 mg Nov 1 2018

Thank you, that’s helped me. I guess if I look back even 2 months I’m so much better, I wouldn’t want to be back there! I guess I just don’t have control of my emotions yet, one minute I’m worrying and feeling nervous then I have a rush of calm and happiness rush over me I guess that’s all part of healing. 
Hopefully I can help others one day like you, I think WD has a way of really convincing you that this is you and not WD, I have to tell myself I had none of these problems before the drugs! It’s so hard, just hope I get there some day, I will be so grateful! 

Sertraline 100mg (1 day) then 50mg for 8 weeks March 2020 - May 2020 bad reaction, no medications until October 2020 mirtazapine October 2020 until 7th July 2021 didn’t realise I was in sertraline WD during this time also started natural progesterone January 2021 and started supplements to reduce cortisol and oestrogen April 2021 also Metformin as has insulation resistance not sure if to still take this currently on no medications  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mentor

November 1st will be my 3 year milestone, so I thought I'd post a short update. I'm continuing to improve and am doing things that wouldn't have been possible a year or two ago, but am a little frustrated that I'm not fully out of the woods yet.

In terms of symptoms, I can say the following have now completely gone; dizziness, balance issues, brain zaps (though I still get some weird head sensations I'll describe later), food intolerances, voice loss, black dog days and feelings of doom. Symptoms that have nearly gone or are very mild; gastro issues and tremors - I get minor eye and leg shakes once or twice a month, only really at bedtime for a minute or so.

I am 3 months into a new job, which I'm enjoying. It has international travel and is fairly full on. I'm finding this tiring and I know my mental stamina isn't back to where it was - yet. I do get the odd day I struggle to get to sleep when I'm travelling, but I sleep well at home, sometimes for 9-10 hours. That's such an improvement over the bad old days where horrible insomnia persisted. In fact It's now been 6 months since I had a bad night in my own home. The only other symptoms that persists are tinnitus, morning cortisol rush for 30-60 minutes, feeling of sewing/twinges in my head and pressure behind my left eye (and the odd short lived leg and eye tremor). I do get a lot of flashbacks too and keep remembering unhelpful things from school days, but I know it's just healing/brain recalibrating and is the back end of WD and will go. It's improving over time.

If I were to think of an analogy, it's like my house completely fell apart at the worst point of WD. The house has been rebuilt, the cupboards are up and the rooms furnished, but at the moment there's still some things on the floor or in the wrong place and I know the symptoms are my brain sorting out those last bits. It may go on for a while yet, but it's manageable, it's improving and I'm 95+% back to my old self. I just still need to pace myself a bit.

Wishing you all patience and peace in your journeys to recovery.

0 mg Nov 1 2018

• Mentor
4 hours ago, DaBro said:

November 1st will be my 3 year milestone, so I thought I'd post a short update. I'm continuing to improve and am doing things that wouldn't have been possible a year or two ago, but am a little frustrated that I'm not fully out of the woods yet.

In terms of symptoms, I can say the following have now completely gone; dizziness, balance issues, brain zaps (though I still get some weird head sensations I'll describe later), food intolerances, voice loss, black dog days and feelings of doom. Symptoms that have nearly gone or are very mild; gastro issues and tremors - I get minor eye and leg shakes once or twice a month, only really at bedtime for a minute or so.

I am 3 months into a new job, which I'm enjoying. It has international travel and is fairly full on. I'm finding this tiring and I know my mental stamina isn't back to where it was - yet. I do get the odd day I struggle to get to sleep when I'm travelling, but I sleep well at home, sometimes for 9-10 hours. That's such an improvement over the bad old days where horrible insomnia persisted. In fact It's now been 6 months since I had a bad night in my own home. The only other symptoms that persists are tinnitus, morning cortisol rush for 30-60 minutes, feeling of sewing/twinges in my head and pressure behind my left eye (and the odd short lived leg and eye tremor). I do get a lot of flashbacks too and keep remembering unhelpful things from school days, but I know it's just healing/brain recalibrating and is the back end of WD and will go. It's improving over time.

If I were to think of an analogy, it's like my house completely fell apart at the worst point of WD. The house has been rebuilt, the cupboards are up and the rooms furnished, but at the moment there's still some things on the floor or in the wrong place and I know the symptoms are my brain sorting out those last bits. It may go on for a while yet, but it's manageable, it's improving and I'm 95+% back to my old self. I just still need to pace myself a bit.

Great update! Glad you are still improving! All the best! I am closing in on 3 years post zero as well! 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

10 hours ago, DaBro said:

Great to hear from you @DaBroyou were so kind and a real lifeline for me when I first joined this site. Hope you go from 95% to 100% soon. Take care. 💕

Mid-August 2020 - started 15mg Mirtazapine, increased to 30mg 2 weeks later. Late-September 2020 - switched to 20mg Paroxetine as Mirtazapine exacerbated RLS. October 2020 - stopped Paroxetine because of worsening RLS, muscle twitching and general restlessness.

Mid-October 2020 - Switched to 50mg Sertraline. Restlessness, muscle twitching and other symptoms even worse. Stopped taking it on 18 November following advice from GP - took every other day for a week before stopping completely. Mid-November 2020 - GP prescribed Propranolol to take as and when required for anxiety. Have only taken a few times as it makes me very light headed. January 2020 - currently taking magnesium citrate powder in evenings to help with RLS. Also taking high strength omega-3 fish oil. 

• 1 month later...

Hi @DaBro

i was just wondering how long your facial palsy lasted for? I’ve had mine for about a year and it seems to be very very slowly improving. 

it’s not distressing but obviously it’s not ideal!

Started Lexapro 5mg Mid March 2020

Came off Completely September 2020

Hospitalised september 2021

Slowly worked up to 50mg lamictal and 60mg Prozac

reduced to 20mg Prozac September 2021

Holding 20mg Prozac and 50mg Lamictal for a good while to stabilise. November 2021

• Mentor

Hi @mva96  It lasted a year or so. I still get some symptoms now 2+ years on, but it’s just one eye closing and my mouth drooping a little and it doesn’t last long or happen often. 

Like many of our symptoms they go but take a long time. 

0 mg Nov 1 2018

Thanks @DaBro

did you have the raised eyebrow on one side too?

it’s definitely improving but damn it’s slow!

Started Lexapro 5mg Mid March 2020

Came off Completely September 2020

Hospitalised september 2021

Slowly worked up to 50mg lamictal and 60mg Prozac

reduced to 20mg Prozac September 2021

Holding 20mg Prozac and 50mg Lamictal for a good while to stabilise. November 2021

• Mentor

No eyebrow for me. Just eye, mouth and neck tightening. We all have so many symptoms!

0 mg Nov 1 2018

In hindsight, do you think you would do anything differently regarding the taper and withdrawal, @DaBro?

I find myself in a similar position taking sertraline but still not feeling great. I’m thinking about waiting til June/September this year then starting a slow 2 year taper.

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Failed taper attempt (50 -> 49) - Jan 2024; Second attempt to start taper - 17 Feb 2024

Current dose: 48.9mg (Feb 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil

• Mentor

That’s an interesting question. The common wisdom on this is that microtapering is the answer. I’m a science guy and like to base decisions on data and to me the data says that WD takes just as long if microtapering. I suspect symptoms are milder if you microtaper as CT is an abrupt change. 

WD is all about the brain healing, which is a very slow process and comes with ups and downs. I see people dropping doses by a fraction of a % and feeling better or worse and attributing their feelings to the small change in dose when the big wave and window swings we all get are more likely to be the cause of day to day changes. 

I think the most important thing is stability, to allow the brain and body a stable platform to readjust and heal. That means routine in diet and sleep, avoiding over exertion and overindulgence. I would microtaper - I’m not convinced it’s any better but it’s certainly no worse than CT. I would definitely not polydrug - I didn’t but those that do seem to struggle and it can’t help with providing stability to heal. 

my WD really started 6 months to a year after CT when I finally gave my body and mind the space to heal - when I quit working and stopped taking other stimulants. It’s all about homeostasis of the CNS and neuroplasticity and not about how many mg of SSRI are in your body each day. 

0 mg Nov 1 2018

• 1 month later...

That's interesting @DaBro I have looked around a lot of this site an notice that there are many success stories from ct but not so many from microtapers. I think the thing is that the healing only starts properly once the drug is out of the system. I am planning on doing a slow taper but I'm scared I'm committing to five years of wd while tapering plus the years post zero to heal. Just don't know what the best way to approach it is really. I just want so much to be off the drug it has affected my whole life and I want myself back. 

How are you going? Really appreciate you taking the time to post updates they are very heartening to us still in the process of withdrawal. All the best lila

11 July 2018 3.75mg zopiclone 14 days missed one dose at least doubled one dose 

22 July 2018 2 mg Valium one week ish

30/july/18 quetiapine 25

31/july/2018 quetiapine 100

1/August/2018 quetiapine 200

14/August/2018 quetiapine 100

14/ September /2018 Quetiapine 87.5mg

Not doing so well on this drop. 

many changes up and down as doctors didn't believe me when I said I needed to go slowly down. Withdrawal became impossible to function and I was hospitalised. 

Feb 2021- now  10 mg olanzapine 

• Mentor
3 hours ago, Lilabella said:

That's interesting @DaBro I have looked around a lot of this site an notice that there are many success stories from ct but not so many from microtapers. I think the thing is that the healing only starts properly once the drug is out of the system. I am planning on doing a slow taper but I'm scared I'm committing to five years of wd while tapering plus the years post zero to heal. Just don't know what the best way to approach it is really. I just want so much to be off the drug it has affected my whole life and I want myself back. 

How are you going? Really appreciate you taking the time to post updates they are very heartening to us still in the process of withdrawal. All the best lila

Hi @Lilabella  You’re asking the same questions I was and I’m not sure anyone knows the right answer. There are moderators on here that can advise on your taper.

It does seem for many that the final stages of tapering are more critical than the initial drops, but I see you were hospitalised during your taper which is something I fortunately didn’t experience. 

I’m doing fine now. It’s 40 months since my ct. It took almost 12 months for my WD to kick in in anger and then it was 12-18 months that were really hard. I’m working now and aside from the odd tired day and some odd physical sensations in my head first thing in the morning, I’m doing good. 

wishing you the best of luck in your withdrawal journey. 

0 mg Nov 1 2018

Hi @DaBro

Thank you for your consideration. I'm not sure what the best way is. I guess of any of us did we would be making a fortune helping out people going through withdrawal! I'll find my way with it I'm sure. 

Glad to hear you are doing so well. Sure helps to know people make it to the other side. I hope you continue to come back here a little it's so helpful. All the best 

30/july/18 quetiapine 25

many changes up and down as doctors didn't believe me when I said I needed to go slowly down. Withdrawal became impossible to function and I was hospitalised. 

Hi @DaBro

Thank you for your consideration. I'm not sure what the best way is. I guess of any of us did we would be making a fortune helping out people going through withdrawal! I'll find my way with it I'm sure. 

Glad to hear you are doing so well. Sure helps to know people make it to the other side. I hope you continue to come back here a little it's so helpful. All the best 

30/july/18 quetiapine 25

• 2 months later...

How are you now?

Zoloft, November 2019.  I worked up to 50 mg and stayed there until 1 year later. I tapered for 3 months, which should consider to be cold turkey.
Tapering schedule:
Month 1: 37.5 mg

Month 2: 25 mg

Month 3: 12.5 mg

Month 4(Half the month): 6.75 mg
Month 4(Other half): 0 mg December 9, 2020

• Mentor
11 hours ago, rebeccaannxo said:

@DaBro

How long did your balance issues last? Did you ever have body weakness that made it hard to stand or walk for long? 

Hi @rebeccaannxo  I can’t remember exactly but remember that it was about 6 months and always first thing in the morning. I’d push through and after having some breakfast and a walk

it would settle down. It was more balance than weakness for me. I did feel exhausted a lot but think it was more mental than physical fatigue. 

0 mg Nov 1 2018

• Mentor
On 5/7/2022 at 11:30 AM, curiousnootropics said:

How are you now?

hi @curiousnootropics and thanks for asking. I’m doing pretty well but still have moments. I’m working full time and living a pretty full life. My family say I’m a lot better. WD is not on the forefront of my mind every day. 

I’d say I get 1-2 episodes a month when I don’t sleep well and get mild physical symptoms (normally shaking or nausea) and I get morning cortisol and tingling hands and feet for a hour or so every day, but the majority of symptoms are gone. I do need to manage my energy as if I do too much I pay for it later. 

so 95% there I guess. There are (most) days I feel great and back to my old self and then the odd surprise day I get hit by a mild wave. When I do I know it’s going to be a few hours or 2 days at most. Nothing like the days/weeks I spent with debilitating symptoms at the start of WD.

Most importantly I feel I am in control of it. It’s not controlling me. 

0 mg Nov 1 2018

Hi @DaBro! I read your story and congratulations on getting through it all. I imagine it must be wonderful to go through all this and have your life under control again! This is really good! I would like to know if your tinnitus is completely gone. I didn't have hearing problems until 2.5 weeks ago, but they came up. First it was acurasia, but it diminished / ended, I had a few days without auditory symptoms and yesterday the tinnitus appeared. I am apprehensive about this, as in some cases it may not pass. I'm very sad about everything that happened to me, but I'm going through... Could you answer me about this tinnitus? Thank you very much!

2021 Feb 25 - 15mg Mirtazapine and 5mg Aripiprazole

2021 March - 30mg Mirtazapine and 5mg Aripiprazole

2021 April - 30mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripirazole

2021 May - 45mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripripazole

2021 June - 45mg Mirtazapine and 10mg Aripripazole

2021 July - 30mg Mirtazapine and 0mg Aripiprazole

2021 July 20 - 15mg Mirtazapine  

2021 August - 0mg Mirtazapine

Supplements: I tried Zinc for a while, but it irritated my system and I always had headaches. I currently only take Omega 3.

On 5/7/2022 at 12:30 PM, curiousnootropics said:

How are you now?

That's great my friend. I'm glad you are over the worst

Zoloft, November 2019.  I worked up to 50 mg and stayed there until 1 year later. I tapered for 3 months, which should consider to be cold turkey.
Tapering schedule:
Month 1: 37.5 mg

Month 2: 25 mg

Month 3: 12.5 mg

Month 4(Half the month): 6.75 mg
Month 4(Other half): 0 mg December 9, 2020

• Mentor
6 hours ago, Warrior said:

Hi @DaBro! I read your story and congratulations on getting through it all. I imagine it must be wonderful to go through all this and have your life under control again! This is really good! I would like to know if your tinnitus is completely gone. I didn't have hearing problems until 2.5 weeks ago, but they came up. First it was acurasia, but it diminished / ended, I had a few days without auditory symptoms and yesterday the tinnitus appeared. I am apprehensive about this, as in some cases it may not pass. I'm very sad about everything that happened to me, but I'm going through... Could you answer me about this tinnitus? Thank you very much!

hi @Warrior . The short answer is that it has massively reduced but not completely gone. I still get waves and windows but the waves are much milder, shorter and less frequent. I get fairly predictable symptoms and patterns in the waves. They start with nausea and a feeling of my hair being pulled and pressure behind my eyes, this then goes into more of a pins and needles sensation, then I get tinnitus and mild eye and leg tremors. Then it stops for days or weeks. It’s manageable. 

I read somewhere that the tinnitus is related to nerve activity in the brain so I take the cycle I describe above as new nerve growth (pain), new nerve activity (pins and needles and tinnitus) and a bit of brain recalibration (tremors). 

Recognising the pattern helps and I recall the days I had constant tinnitus. I went to the doctor who said it was tension/stress, a neurologist who said it was my old symptoms (rubbish). I know googling is bad, but these patterns have a lot in common with traumatic brain injury healing (people who fell off their bikes and stuff). 

every wave is a bit more healing, feeling a bit sharper and 1 day closer to normality. I kind of embrace the waves and tinnitus as a good sign that my brain is healing and resetting. I realise that that’s easier to do now I’m 95% normal and remember how hard and concerning it was when I was in the depths of WD and 95% feeling awful. 

It improved for me and I’m sure it will for you. Be patient and kind. Play music to distract for the whistling. 

0 mg Nov 1 2018

• 2 months later...

I I’ve been thinking of starting a really stressful job soon. I’m 2 years and 8 months in WD. My symptoms have improved a lot but I still get waves now and then. They are  Nauseous tightness in head(feels like headache) overthinking and a little depressed. Do you think joining this stressful venture of mine with hinder or slow down my progress?

Hey did you get any of the following symptoms? Dry retching, upset painful stomach, no appetite, heartburn, acid reflex, constapation?? My stomach is going through it right now

April 2022- Only 1 celxa pill 10mg

had an adverse reaction & never took anymore again 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mentor
On 8/3/2022 at 8:26 PM, peaceandlove said:

Hey did you get any of the following symptoms? Dry retching, upset painful stomach, no appetite, heartburn, acid reflex, constapation?? My stomach is going through it right now

Hiya. I did get constipation and the opposite! and strange stomach sensations but none of the retching, heartburn and acid reflex. I guess we’re all different. 

I just kept an eye on intensity and frequency and treated it as another phase of healing. 

I hope it passes for you. 

0 mg Nov 1 2018

• Mentor
On 7/30/2022 at 4:14 AM, David95790 said:

I I’ve been thinking of starting a really stressful job soon. I’m 2 years and 8 months in WD. My symptoms have improved a lot but I still get waves now and then. They are  Nauseous tightness in head(feels like headache) overthinking and a little depressed. Do you think joining this stressful venture of mine with hinder or slow down my progress?

I don’t know is the true answer, but I think you’re better trying than wondering ‘what if’

when I went back to work, I had to pace myself (still do to an extent). I tried to schedule ‘me time’ periods during the day to recover and I kept my evenings pretty free. Saturdays were sleep in days to begin with. 

I think the mental distraction is good, it’s about managing the physical issues. 

I did have a spate of insomnia and high BP (which I never historically have had) and had to come clean on the WD symptoms (with evidence that it’s a ‘thing’) but my employer was accommodating and actually had friends with WD issues, so understood. 

I totally get the nauseous tightness feeling. Sounds familiar. Work helps to stop dwelling on it. I’ve actually got them today and ended up in this forum looking for some self compassion. First time here in a while, so that tells you something. I just spent 2 weeks traveling with work in the us, so this is probably payback for that trip. I’ve come a long way from being bed bound in 2019/20. 

good luck. 

On 7/30/2022 at 4:14 AM, David95790 said:

0 mg Nov 1 2018

• 2 months later...

hi @DaBro I hope you're doing well. I just wanted to connect because I see lots of similarities in our stories; I also landed on SSRIs following a burnout, after 2.5 years on the meds I wanted to come off them and was given the same 'placebo dose' line by my GP about 25mg sertraline 😤 

I'm a year out since the original CT but 9 months off after a reinstatement attempt. I'm yet to have any windows where I feel like 'normal' me but I have seen some improvements. I mainly struggle with huge fatigue, head and vision symptoms, anxiety, sensory overload, a frequent feeling in my head which is like a 'pop' or a click, not exactly a brain zap but something similar. Did you ever have light sensitivity? And could you say when the fatigue started improving? Sorry if you've already answered these elsewhere, just looking for reassurance I guess !! I read that you said you had some chronic fatigue issues before sertraline, and then lots of fatigue in withdrawal, but it's okay/manageable now? I've always been more on the 'easily fatigued' side of life but I obsess over whether i've developed chronic fatigue syndrome rather than it being an effect of the drugs/my system trying to rebalance.

Oh also I live in South Wales too ! :) 

Sept 2021 - CT sertraline 25mg. told it was a 'placebo dose', knew nothing about the dangers or mechanism of these drugs

Nov 2021 - Jan 2022 - failed reinstatement attempt which exacerbated symptoms as it gave me severe serotonin syndrome, unrecognised by doctors who told me to double my dose (!!!!). this was a very awful period, was still trying to work and go to uni, eventually had to quit everything & move back in with family. horrific 'altered reality' symptoms of dissociation, hallucinations, insomnia, chemical dread, racing heart, agitation, nausea, burning & more 

Jan 14th 2022 - 0mg SSRI

Currently, 2023: in recovery from drug-induced neurological dysfunction/PAWS. only meds- 10mg amitriptyline at night.

• Mentor

It’s like a bingo card of symptoms @eileen1111  the only one I didn’t experience is light sensitivity. 

the popping and clicking is interesting. It’s been persistent throughout, in fact I still get it now. I don’t see many others listing it as a symptom, but it has been for me. 

So to answer your question, I would say (in a very oversimplified summary) that year 1 was all about fatigue and fatigue management. Year 2 was the time with really intense and unpleasant symptoms. I was fairly non functional. Year 3 was my turning point year. I still got waves and windows but they were milder, less debilitating and I felt in control of them and was making improvements. I wrote my success story around 2.5 years. I’m coming up to 4 years off. I still get waves, windows and some head sensations including the popping but it’s more of an annoyance than anything. 

I’ve been working 2 years (no chance in years 1&2) and feel much more like my old self. 

Our journeys sound so similar. Be patient and kind to yourself. It’s a lonely frustrating journey but one day you’ll start to realise the sensations are starting to subside and you’ll know you’re recovering and through the worst. 

0 mg Nov 1 2018

@DaBro hey thank you so much for your reply!

I hadn't seen anyone talk about the popping/clicking sensation either until I saw you describing it somewhere. It comes and goes for me but I get it more intensely if my nervous system has been triggered or if I'm particularly tired/anxious. my pet theory is that it's just a kind of overactive nerve response to stress. so bizarre, but yes mostly just an annoyance and a reminder... 

I'm glad things continue to improve for you. I'm sure that one day you'll be able to leave the whole thing completely behind you. It's a long old journey this isn't it 😅

Sept 2021 - CT sertraline 25mg. told it was a 'placebo dose', knew nothing about the dangers or mechanism of these drugs

Nov 2021 - Jan 2022 - failed reinstatement attempt which exacerbated symptoms as it gave me severe serotonin syndrome, unrecognised by doctors who told me to double my dose (!!!!). this was a very awful period, was still trying to work and go to uni, eventually had to quit everything & move back in with family. horrific 'altered reality' symptoms of dissociation, hallucinations, insomnia, chemical dread, racing heart, agitation, nausea, burning & more 

Jan 14th 2022 - 0mg SSRI

Currently, 2023: in recovery from drug-induced neurological dysfunction/PAWS. only meds- 10mg amitriptyline at night.

• Mentor

I tend to get it in the evenings, so I figured it’s a time certain chemicals in the brain are reducing ready for sleep and as you say, perhaps something odd going on with nerves. New ones growing? it’s like an old friend these days. 

As you say, a long journey. No alternative and no short cuts unfortunately. 

glad to see you’re able to kind of view this as looking on at what’s happening to you from the outside. It can be all consuming and negative if you view it only from your symptoms . A helicopter perspective is a healthier place to be. 

each day is a day closer to the finish line. 

0 mg Nov 1 2018

• 1 month later...
  • Mentor

Thought I'd post an update how things are going. It's just over 4 years now and things continue to improve. I don't come back to this site too often now, which is a good sign, but will never forget how much it helped me in the early days. I hope this update helps and provides hope to you all too.

I've been working for just over 2 years now. You'll see in my previous posts that the first year was tough and I struggled, but thanks to an understanding boss, I survived. This second year has gone pretty well. I'd say that 60% of the time I feel completely like my old self, 30% of the time I feel like I have a bit of jet lag and 10% I feel ill, like I have the flu. I do need to manage my energy and give myself time outs and the odd early finish, otherwise I hit a mental wall. I've taken no sick days this year and only 3 times have I had to go and find a quiet place and lie down for an hour or so. This year I've managed to cycle 1600km across France and have been to the US for a couple of weeks twice with work and to central America on vacation. 2-3 years ago, getting out of bed and taking a 3 mile walk or doing the weekly food shop was a major achievement. I am so much better.

As for the tough days, first I'd say that waves and windows continue, but they are longer and shallower. I've just had a frustrating 6 week wave, but I worked every day and really just felt like I had jetlag for most of it, with the odd tremor/zap and maybe once a month the Insomnia comes back for a couple of days - that's the worst symptom for me. Before this recent wave I had 8 weeks where I felt totally great. My wife and family notice the positive change and I know each day is a step forward. It's nothing like the worst of WD when I was bedbound, sweating, shaking, constipated and barely able to function.

Most days for me now start with a whistling/buzzing/pounding head after a solid 7-9 hours sleep. Within an hour or so the head buzz goes, though it sometimes stays with me as mild head tension or tinnitus through the day. Normally 9-3 I feel fine, then I start to feel a little fatigued - I think that's pretty normal anyway. I then have a rally until 9pm when my brain starts to check out. This is when I sometimes get a bit of dyskenesia/tremors, voice loss, head zaps/twinges and nausea. It's pretty mild and I know it's normal and will only last a few minutes. I look forward to that going too and know it will eventually.

So while it's annoying to still have some symptoms, they are fairly mild and manageable. I've learnt that the tail end of recovery will likely be long, but I'm in control of it and it will continue to subside. The good days outnumber the bad and I'm mostly able to do what I want, when I want to.

Wishing you all patience and strength in your own healing journeys.

0 mg Nov 1 2018

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2022 at 3:18 AM, DaBro said:

Hiya. I did get constipation and the opposite! and strange stomach sensations but none of the retching, heartburn and acid reflex. I guess we’re all different. 

I just kept an eye on intensity and frequency and treated it as another phase of healing. 

I hope it passes for you. 

thank you so much. Happy holidays! What exactly did you do for the constipation? Did you take a laxative, Metamucil etc ? @DaBro

• Mentor

Nope. Nothing. Just persistence.  

0 mg Nov 1 2018

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2022 at 10:33 AM, DaBro said:

Nope. Nothing. Just persistence.  

lol ohh ok thanks 

• 4 weeks later...

How are you doing @DaBro ? Your posts really help me a lot and provide a much-needed dose of hope, so thank you !!

Jan 14th 2022 - 0mg SSRI

• Mentor

Doing well thanks. I’ve been working for 2.5 years now and continue to improve. Waves and windows do continue but the waves just feel like a bit of jet lag and windows are long and I feel great. Symptoms during waves follow a predictable pattern too, which allows me to manage things. It’s more annoying than debilitating. 4 years ago I was essentially paralysed by WD and doing the weekly shop was a major achievement. Such a difference. 

glad the story helps. I know other’s stories helped me so I wanted to do my part and hopefully help others in the journey. 

0 mg Nov 1 2018