Goatboy: Wanting to ditch the last of the Effexor

goatboy

Hi everyone, 

I've had a long history with various psychiatric medications spanning from my teenage years to the current day. I was recommended this forum by my partner because I have been playing with the idea of ridding myself of this parasite I've been taking for 5 years. It's doing nothing for me, as far as I can tell (I still get depressed, I've just accepted that it's a part of my life, but I do have coping mechanisms). I tapered down from 300mg to 37.5mg over a few months. Mistake, with a capital m, just all kinds of bad. I had no control over my emotions. I was angry, depressed,  experienced strong suicidal ideation, intrusive thoughts, brain zaps, muscle pain, insomnia, shakes, fatigue, nausea... The whole nine yards. But, I pushed through (thinking it was normal). So, now I'm on 37.5mg. I've heard the last of it is the hardest though, so if my past experience is anything to go by, it will (potentially) be a trainwreck. 

So, I thought I'd swallow my pride and reach out. Perhaps a few words of encouragement will help me along the process, and make me feel less isolated. I'll also be seeking out counselling just to cover all bases, I don't want to do this half assed, too much time has already been wasted.

It's a little doom and gloom... But I'm not self indulgent, just pragmatic. 
Thanks for reading!

Medication history:

Effexor (venlafaxine), 300mg, 2015 - 2019,

37.5mg, 2020 - 2021. 

Quetiapine (Generic) Dosage has spanned from 150mg to 10mg from 2015 to 2021, currently on 10mg. 

Ritalin (Methylphenidate), 20mg, prescribed in 2011. 

• Administrator

Welcome, @goatboy

What times of day do you take each of your drugs, with their dosages? Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

How's your sleep? How long have you been holding at 37.5mg Effexor?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello, thanks for the reply. 

I take all my medication at night, just before I'm about to jump into bed (except the ritalin lol) 

From drugs.com

"Using QUEtiapine together with venlafaxine can increase the risk of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening, although it is a rare side effect. You may be more susceptible if you have a heart condition called congenital long QT syndrome, other cardiac diseases, conduction abnormalities, or electrolyte disturbances (for example, magnesium or potassium loss due to severe or prolonged diarrhea or vomiting). Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath, or heart palpitations during treatment with these medications, whether together or alone. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor."

Sleep is okay... I get enough strictly speaking, but the quality is not enough to make me feel rested. But I am currently doing a test to see if I have sleep apnea, as I am slightly overweight. 

Any other questions? 

Edit: I have been taking 37.5 effexor for about 2 years now. 

Medication history:

37.5mg, 2020 - 2021. 

Quetiapine (Generic) Dosage has spanned from 150mg to 10mg from 2015 to 2021, currently on 10mg. 

• Administrator

Yes, I would like to know the times o'clock you take each of your drugs, including Ritalin, with their dosages.

What is your daily drug schedule?

Do you have any of the symptoms describe in that drug interaction report? Ritalin and Effexor can both affect the quality of your sleep.

In your signature, please add the dates you started each of those drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Oh sorry, I wasn't aware you wanted specific time. I take my ritalin when I get up, usually around 8-9, at 20mgs.

Effexor (37.5mg) and Quetiapine (20mg) I take just before I go to bed, which varies between 10 - 12:30pm. 

No I don't have any of those symptoms, thankfully. But I do have high blood pressure. So it is a possibility that I will have issues in the future if I continue to take Effexor and Quetiapine together. 

I'll update my signature. 

Medication history:

37.5mg, 2020 - 2021. 

• Administrator

Please review adverse effects of Ritalin on Drugs.com. Did you have high blood pressure before taking Ritalin? How about Effexor?

See Tips for tapering off venlafaxine (Effexor)

I started to get high blood pressure when I started to gain weight. This was after I started taking Effexor, and Quetiapine in conjunction (prescribed at different times) Historically, blood pressure was not an issue when I was on ritalin without the Effexor and Quetiapine combination. My doctor thinks the weight gain was the primary cause of the high blood pressure, but the combination of the drugs exacerbates it.

Medication history:

37.5mg, 2020 - 2021. 

• Administrator

Please review the adverse effects of quetiapine and venlafaxine on drugs.com. Quetiapine is very well recognized for causing weight gain. Antidepressants can sometimes cause weight gain, too. All of your health problems may be adverse effects of the drugs you're taking.

This is a site for going off psychiatric drugs. If you have further questions about tapering, please post them here.

Yeah, I've read the side effects list in the past, and it does all line up. I'm planning to decrease the Effexor starting next week. Do you have any advice on the rate of which to decrease to avoid withdrawal? 

Medication history:

37.5mg, 2020 - 2021.