SammyC - Need help tapering off 0.25 mg of clonazepam

SammyC

H everyone,

Thank you for this great and supporting website.  I need some advise and support about how to taper off 0.25mg of clonazepam.

Here's my medication history, the best that i can remember.

09/2018: Atavin 0.25 mg, Sertralin 200 mg, Trazedone 150 mg

03/2019:  Clonazepam 1.0 mg, Sertralin 200 mg, Trazedone 150 mg

12/2019:  Taper clonazepam off from 1.0 mg to 0.25 mg, Sertralin 200 mg, Trazedone 150 mg

Current:  clonazepam 0.25 mg, Sertralin 200 mg, Trazedone 150 mg.

Currently going thru ECT (once a month).  

My doctor advised me to jump off the clonazepam about 1 month ago.  I told her that it is too fast, as I have had bad side effects when I tapered off clonazepam the first time.  I ended up taking it every 2 days for a week, and then jump off.  My last dose was April 25.  I have been feeling extreme side effects since last Friday.  I have violent panic attacks, headaches, anxiety.  I got really tired... I started becoming very depressed today, as I have been suffering the side effects since Friday.

I have resumed taking the clonazepam today.  I am looking for help and support about how to go about getting off this drug.

Thank you for your help.

Sam

• Administrator

Welcome, @SammyC

How do you feel after reinstating clonazepam?

On 5/6/2021 at 1:10 PM, SammyC said:

Currently going thru ECT (once a month).

It does not make sense to get ECT when you are having benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms, which probably would continue despite ECT. Your doctor does not seem to listen to you. If I were you, I would confer with a new doctor, and discuss this complication in your treatment with whoever is responsible for ordering the ECT. I might escalate this to the highest levels of the hospital administration.

I see you are also taking 200mg sertraline and 150mg trazodone. Are you getting ECT perhaps for emotional anesthesia?  That is an adverse effect of long-term antidepressants and benzodiazepines, it is not treatment-resistant depression. You have been taking benzodiazepines for 2.5 years.

Why are you going off clonazepam rather than minimizing the other drugs?

To taper off clonazepam properly, you will need a continued prescription of clonazepam. @Frogie will help you design a schedule for tapering.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.