Jayy: Cold turkey off one month of Pristiq

I took Pristiq 50mg for about 4 weeks. And I stopped cold turkey because I couldn’t sleep and I got tinnitus from taking the SNRI. I have never liked taking antidepressants but I was desperate and now after 6 weeks cold turkey off pristiq I still have a high pitch buzzing sound in my head constantly. I’m very worried that the tinnitus is a permanent result of taking pristiq, and although I only took it for 4 weeks I’m very sensitive and knew i should have not even tried such a strong drug. Because now I have extremely bad anxiety and depression along with tinnitus and can hardly handle it. 

Edited by manymoretodays
added name to title only, done July 26, mmt

November 11th 2020 - Pristiq 50mg

November 25th 2020- Cold Turkey 

February 28th 2021- Pristiq 50mg 

March 25 2021 Cold Turkey 

Pristiq Caused Permanent tinnitus from brain damage. 

Constant severe tinnitus for 9 months straight.

All from taking pristiq for 24 days. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  I'm very sorry to hear that you are going through these withdrawal effects of going off the Pristiq.  Tinnitus, anxiety, and depression are typical WD symptoms.  How long ago did you jump off?  Unfortunately, these drugs make significant changes to our nervous systems in only 4 weeks.  

First of all, can you please give us specific information about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise list (no symptoms), only drug names, specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Also, as we are recovering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. 

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

You could consider doing a small reinstatement.  The purpose would be to lessen your withdrawal symptoms.  This is best done very carefully.  This is temporary, and after stabilizing you would then taper gradually off of this.  There is some risk involved, and we need more specifics about your drug history before we can suggest a good dose at which to reinstate.  Here is some information about reinstatement.  

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Please read through it, and mull it over, and we will take it from there. In the meantime, take care of yourself, and take heart.  We in this forum have been through this, and we understand first hand the pain and discomfort you are going through.  Please know that the brain is amazing in it's healing abilities.  It takes time, but healing can and will happen. 

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

I have always believed that antidepressants where not researched enough to be used to treat and even act like they can cure depression. I have struggle with depression for over 10 years and was desperate enough to try Pristq 50mg even though I knew I should not. I took pristiq for a few weeks in November and started yawning all the time and feeling wide awake at night. I stopped taking pristiq cold turkey because I could not sleep and I did not like the way it was making me feel. But i kept reading "give it 4 weeks to start working". So I started to take pristiq again 50mg on February 28th until march 25. I stopped cold turkey again and went on a run 2 days into withdrawal, and this was the worst run I ever felt, I felt like my body was moving like neo in the matrix when he dodged bullets, If I moved my eye from the spot I was looking at while runnig I would get extremely dizzy. I would run while I took pristiq as as well. So i would wake up and take pristiq on an empty stomach drink so water and go on a run. I didnt feel go the whole time I took pristiq and started to notce this buzzing sound in my head. It was a high pitch ringning sound that kept me up at night. I would sleep for 6 hours and then I would wake up and be wired but still tired, then after about an hour or two of me sitting in bed I would fall back to sleep and feel extremely tired and sleep fro another two hours and this is whn I felt like I would get the best sleep and felt rested. SO after a month on pristiq and enduring the side affects I was sick and tired of it and stopped cold turkey like i mentioned, oh and after than run on the 2nd day of withdrawal (thinking that running would help me recover faster) I had huge dark circles under my eyes and felt extremely dizzy. So now It has been 8 WEEKS of not taking any pristiq and no drugs at all and the ringing (tinnitus) is still in my head and I get a bad headache almost every single day. It does not seem to be getting better, every moring the ringing is loud and I feel like I am still on the drug. Is it possible that pristiq changed my brain chemistry that I now have these permanent conditions- tinnitus - terrible  headache- and waking up in the middle of the night wired but falling back a sleep two hours later to actually feel like I slept? This is the scariest thing that I have went through in my life and I need help to not have a panic attack everyday listening to my head ringing and feel my brain buzz with headaches.  I only took pristiq 50 mg for a month straight and its been 2 months and its horrible to still feel the affects of that terrible drug. I do honstly feel like it caused me brain damage.

Took pristiq 50 mg November 18-December 10 (quit cold turkey) no noticable tinnitus or lasting withdrawal

Took Pristiq 50 mg from February 28th until March 25 (quit cold turkey)

8 week off pristiq. I still have tinnitus and brain is buzzing. I wake up wired and tired then have to go back to sleep to feel rested. Anxiety has greatly increased. I have terrible headaches almost every day since March 25. 

Please help me with any reassurance that the tinnitus will go away, and I will recover from pristiq.  Thank you

• Moderator Emeritus

Previous post was moved to your Intro topic to keep your history all in one place.  This avoids confusion and duplication of effort on the part of people trying to help you.  Please keep all you questions and discussion about your situation in this one thread.  Thank you.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

• Moderator Emeritus
16 hours ago, Jayy said:

I have always believed that antidepressants where not researched enough to be used to treat and even act like they can cure depression

I agree with you.  "The Anatomy of an Epidemic" by Robert Whitaker sheds a lot of light on this.  

16 hours ago, Jayy said:

Is it possible that pristiq changed my brain chemistry that I now have these permanent conditions- tinnitus - terrible  headache- and waking up in the middle of the night wired but falling back a sleep two hours later to actually feel like I slept?

Did you read the links I gave you in my previous post?  Please read those.  (How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain, etc.). Yes, these drugs make changes to our brain, but we can recover from them if we are careful and and take certain steps.  It takes a long time, and the healing is very gradual. Going off psych meds cold turkey is a pretty harsh way to get off.  We suggest a very gradual careful taper.  

In my first post, I suggested a possible small reinstatement. I would suggest 5 mg dose to start out.  Give it a bare minimum of 7 days, and we can take it from there.  The purpose of a reinstatement is to try and reduce withdrawal symptoms.  Pleaser read link above about reinstatement.  Also, check this out: 

Considerations About Stability Stop Jumping Around

Please let me know what you decide to do about reinstating.  

Also, please give us your drug history in your signature box according to these instructions: 

How to List Drug History in Signature

Edited by getofflex

Getofflex. Im not sure how to reply directly to your comment or make a drug signature. I am having a panic attack currently and read the " how psychiatric drugs remodel your brain". I have been having vivid nightmares every night because I started a new job selling life insurance and I am a very social awkward person who is shy, but I have to be "confident" and build "relationships" so i am worried that I will fail, well i know I will fail and I already want to quit, but I have no idea what I am going to do for money, and I need something that will benefit me in the future and like pay and promotions. Besides that, I took a nap and had a vivid dream of a house catching on fire, and I tried to put it out with water and it got worse, I woke up and my tinnitus was ringing the loudest in these 8 weeks off the drug. I'm not sure how I can continue to live at this point, Im screwing myself with this job, and I need my own house to live in, so i need to try and sell life insurance. meanwhile, Im about to turn 26 and I'll be off my parents health insurance so I'll need to figure that out because now I have the tinnitus and headaches. I only took pristiq 4 weeks. and many people siad that the buzzing goes away within 2-4 weeks, and they have been on the drug a very long time, 1 year or greater. I'm worried that the foot print the SNRI gave me is likely stuck because I'm not sure if my brain wants to go back to before, Its trying to keep up the pace and the tinnitus might be the new normal, and that is my worst nightmare, besides all the nightmares I have been having. I'm about to go to the store and buy fish oil and magnesium, because I need this to stop, and I want to not be as anxious and worried all the time. Why can't I seem to feel like my brain is going back to a balance it just feels worst and hyperactive all the time. 

• Moderator Emeritus

You did manage to successfully reply to me.  🙂 To do your drug signature, click on your name in the upper right hand corner of the screen.  Then, click on "account settings".  In the left hand column, click on "signature".  Type your drug history in that box, then click "save".  This helps us, because it automatically copies your drug history into each of your posts, and us mods can see it and help you.  

I'm sorry about the job situation.  Could you possibly get a job as a stocker in a store, or something that does not require strong social skills?  There are many other jobs that don't require strong social skills.  I don't have strong social skills either.  I was a computer programmer at one time.  That is another job that is good for persons like us. 

I would like to reassure you that I truly think you will get better, and this tinnitus will stop.  However, this takes a lot of time.  Each person's nervous system is different and we all react differently.  I'm sorry that you are in this difficult situation.  Here is some information about people who have been on a drug a short time, but experience problems.  The second half of this post applies to your situation: 

I Only Took it For a Short Time

I would like to help encourage you by suggesting you read some of the success stories.  Here is a success story of someone who suffered tinnitus the whole time of WD, and they have recovered: 

DaBro 2 Years Finally

HealedJancarol

Hang in there.  It gets better, but takes time.  I'll be praying for you. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2021 at 5:12 PM, getofflex said:

You did manage to successfully reply to me.  🙂 To do your drug signature, click on your name in the upper right hand corner of the screen.  Then, click on "account settings".  In the left hand column, click on "signature".  Type your drug history in that box, then click "save".  This helps us, because it automatically copies your drug history into each of your posts, and us mods can see it and help you.  

I'm sorry about the job situation.  Could you possibly get a job as a stocker in a store, or something that does not require strong social skills?  There are many other jobs that don't require strong social skills.  I don't have strong social skills either.  I was a computer programmer at one time.  That is another job that is good for persons like us. 

I would like to reassure you that I truly think you will get better, and this tinnitus will stop.  However, this takes a lot of time.  Each person's nervous system is different and we all react differently.  I'm sorry that you are in this difficult situation.  Here is some information about people who have been on a drug a short time, but experience problems.  The second half of this post applies to your situation: 

I Only Took it For a Short Time

I would like to help encourage you by suggesting you read some of the success stories.  Here is a success story of someone who suffered tinnitus the whole time of WD, and they have recovered: 

DaBro 2 Years Finally

HealedJancarol

Hang in there.  It gets better, but takes time.  I'll be praying for you. 

I read the "success" stories you linked, and DaBro still has tinnitus and headaches after 2 years drug free. Jancarol never had withdrawal symptoms and only had emotional numbness. 

Its been 4 months since I stopped after just 1 month of taking pristiq. The tinnitus is LOUD and HIGH PITCHED, it has not changed even a little, it does not fade and I suffer every moment in the morning till  before I go to bed. I had the worst headache in 5 years the other day, and continue to get headaches everyday. My body feels like my nerves are shaking and sensitive to noise especially, exercise, and basically anything that doesn't include sleeping. I feel wrecked, unmotivated and exhausted everyday. I got a new job I hate and I'm just wondering if my life will get better but it continues to get worse and this "withdrawal" is making it 10x worse. Not only do I have mental break downs of how much I hate my life, I now have mental break downs of how the physically buzzing sensation constantly agitates me. 

I've read after 5 years people still have tinnitus,

I've read after 20 years people still have tinnitus and suffer from taking ADs

Where are the success of people who have gone back to normal? I want to feel like before I took these sh*tty for profit drugs, and only suffer from suicidal depression and anxiety, but in the mean time I hate everything 10x more and feel more alone than even before. I hate this. 

• Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, Jayy said:

ts been 4 months since I stopped after just 1 month of taking pristiq.

Unfortunately, these drugs cause dependent in only 1 months, and it can still take many months, if not years, for your nervous system to recover from them.  Also, doing a cold turkey off any psych med is a harsh way to come off, and can cause major disruption to the nervous system.  I have to tell you that the people whose success stories I've read do become 95 to 100% healed from these drugs, but that often takes years.  I  know, that really sucks.  But the good news is, there is recovery.  It's not a terminal illness that will kill us.  

This thread goes into your situation:   But I Only Took it for a Week

What other symptoms are you having besides tinnitus? 

16 hours ago, getofflex said:

What other symptoms are you having besides tinnitus? 

Tinnitus is the biggest issue, It sounds like a dentist drill buzzing in my central brain area I also get these weird shakes when I listen to it and feel like my body is weak and exhausted . Headaches are very common and I almost get them everyday, before I took the AD I never had headaches.  I have extreme anxiety, insomnia is another issue but when I fall asleep I can sleep for 8-10 hours.

Thank you for responding, it makes me feel less alone and you have no idea how alone I am right now. I've been struggling with being alone for a long time and I'm going through a very difficult time in my life, and which is why I gave the AD a chance to help me improve my motivation to keep going, but this "withdrawal" is making things much harder. 

• Moderator Emeritus

@Jayymy heart goes out to you.  I know what it is like to be all alone.  There have been times in my life when this has been true for me.  I wish I could give you a way to fix he tinnitus, but I don't know of any way other than time.  I know it must be discouraging to have no let up in it after 3 months.  The good news is that is usually goes away, but it can take a long time to resolve.  Here is a thread where others in WD talk about their tinnitus, and they give some natural remedies to help: 

Tinnitus

• Mentor

@Jayy  Hi jayy,  I can see you are really suffering.  I wish there was something I could do to take away your pain.  I want you know that you are not alone in this journey.  Please try and connect with some other members.  Find someone that has Tinnitus so you can support each other.

We are all here for you in anyway we can help.  

Do you have any support where you live.  

You should read Cocopuffz success story.

Please take care of yourself

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg , 0.05mg 4/1/2024   0

Lamictal  taper  4/17/ 2022 25mg, 9/9/ 22 -20mg, 9/25/22- 15mg , 10/20/22-   0

Trazodone..2023.>down to 14mg, 7mg, 6mg  July 2023   0

Xanax  0.0625 3 x a day,  2023>  0.042 3x a day

Supplements  Magnesium glycinate, Omega 3, D3, vitamin c , zinc, NAC 

• Mentor

@Jayy  How are you doing?  

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg , 0.05mg 4/1/2024   0

On 7/16/2021 at 7:43 PM, Greatful said:

@Jayy  How are you doing?  

Thanks for asking. I have come to the conclusion that I am not going through withdrawal, or even protracted withdrawal syndrome. I've read through every tinnitus post on Surviving Antidepressants, Reddit, and Google and Every case that a Anti depressant caused tinnitus the person still has it after years of stopping the drug. I've read multiple article that said 4,5 10 years later they still have tinnitus and anxiety from the anti depressant they took. I WISH I NEVER TAKEN THAT sh*tty DRUG. Everyday I hope it softens or goes away, but now after 4 months the I know that Pritiq damaged my cochlear neurons and they are not going to go back to normal. I have always hated my life, and now I hate it even more, I am never in a good mood and now this just adds to my hatred and another ******* problem that I have to deal with. I am not going to learn how to live with this, I am angry and I need the tinnitus to go away, but Its not and the doctor who gave me these drugs doesn't care, because shes a idiot who gets paid to drug people. Even my therapist is surprised my ears havn't stopped ringing. Like these educated idiots don't think of how bad these drugs actually are for the body. I EVEN TOLD MY DOCTOR I CAN'T HANDLE SSRI's and then the b**** prescribes me a SNRI and gives me a high dose after I told her Im sensitive. I even asked for a ketamine treatment but she said NO, because I didn't take all the drugs she first prescribed me. I ******* hate this ****, I get constant headaches, my ears are ringing, and nothing is getting better. Its just me wishing I was dead every single day and it just gets worse with everyday that passes. 

• Mentor

@Jayy  I am sorry.  I know this is a very painful experience.  I am struggling to with W/D  Yes you are in withdrawal, and it will heal.  I just read 

kenA thread and he suffered from tinnitus and his is recovering very well.  I believe cocopuffz suffered also and is pretty much recovered.  

You will heal also.  We all will.  Please look up these two members.  Put their name in the search bar on the top right corner find their intro page.

I was very discouraged this morning and happened on kenA  thread and was shown again that we can heal from this.  It will not happen over night unfortunately.  Time and a lot of self care.  One day at a time and the will to heal.

I can understand your anger.  I am very angry at my doctor and the whole medical field that hand these drugs out like candy. 

Use that anger to give yourself momentum to dig down deep and find a way to beat this. 

There are so many members that will help you and give you encouragement.  Only those that have or are going through this can understand the pain and frustration of going through recovery.  You are not alone.

On 7/19/2021 at 5:02 PM, Greatful said:

I am sorry.  I know this is a very painful experience.  I am struggling to with W/D  Yes you are in withdrawal, and it will heal.  I just read 

Thank you for encouragement and checking in. It means a lot that someone cares about how I am getting through the AD withdrawal syndrome. I hope you are doing well and recovering. 

• Mentor

Hi,@Jayy  You didn't say how you are doing?  Have you had a chance to read kenA thread or cocopuffz success story.  Please reach out to them they both are very good at corresponding.

Hope things are getting a little better☺️

• manymoretodays changed the title to Jayy: Cold turkey off one month of Pristiq
13 hours ago, Greatful said:

Hi,@Jayy  You didn't say how you are doing?  Have you had a chance to read kenA thread or cocopuffz success story.  Please reach out to them they both are very good at corresponding.

Hope things are getting a little better☺️

Im not doing great. But it doesn't matter. The tinnitus is the same everyday, Its loud, high pitched and screaming everyday and it doesn't seem to be going away. There is nothing anyone can do, Nothing helps, no matter how much sleep I get or how hard I try to be healthy and reverse what Pristiq did to my brain to cause tinnitus. Im more depressed than before I took the drug. I hate the "friends" and people I surround myself with, they make me angry that I choose to spend my time with them, rather than be lonely or do something productive for my future self,  because all they do is drink alcohol and act like idiots even though they are almost 30 and have no sense of becoming pleasant people, I really don't like them, but I currently don't have the courage to remove them from my life completely yet.  My family is broken and I can't talk to anyone about how I feel or what I'm going through. I hate myself everyday and I know it will only become worse with more regrets and time wasted each day I spend hating myself and wishing I wasn't alive. I have no reason to wake up and I have no motivation to improve my life because I basically gave up on myself. I can't get better friends because Im depressed and I'm dead on the inside with no personality, I cant get a girlfriend because I'm depressed with constant negative thoughts and no one likes me because Im a loser.  I'm just existing because my body hasn't given out yet, and I've been lucky enough to not have a serious accident. But, this is why I took the sh*tty AD and now its 10x worse to be awake. 

I read Cocopuffz and kenAs story, They had it worse than me, and I know. Cocopuffz still has tinnitus but isn't worried about it as much because his more serious side affects subsided. Coco was also on many drugs for much longer than me. 

After 4 months I really don't think I will ever get rid of tinnitus, because now it is considered chronic, even though I know that Pristiq caused it. I stopped going to therapy for now because I'm broke have no insurance and all they recommended was to listen to Tony Robbins (and they thought like that would help, they went to med school to tell me to listen to TR) 

The only good news is that I got a job offer that pays well, but I lied and said I know more than I do so I'm again having a panic attack and having a crisis because I really want to do well and keep the job,so I can finally get my own place, but I'm worried I'll look like I lied and don't know what I'm doing in the first week then they will just fire me.  I'm just ashamed of who I am and where my life choices have brought me. 

• Moderator Emeritus

@JayyI can't blame you for being very angry and in despair.  Life has been quite hard on you.  You have iatrogenic damage from the Pristiq you took, and you believe it will never go away.  (I personally think there is still a chance for your healing). It sounds like you have a crappy family, crappy friends that just don't care, and who are into the party scene, and a job you hate.  I know you feel as thought the damage from the Pristiq is permanent.  Altostrata, who founded this forum, took 11 years to heal from Paxil, but she did heal.  Perhaps yours will take a very long time.  Honestly, I'm still healing after almost 4 years from Lexapro.  I believe these drugs are poisons and they hurt many people, and recovery is very slow.  

Believe it or not, I used to be where you are, (for different yet similar reasons) when I was very young.  I, too, had had a terrible life so far, and I was extremely angry with the world, and with other people, and I hated myself.  

This world can be a very dark place, and there is a LOT of injustice in this world. 

When I was 45, I really came to the end of myself, and had a nervous breakdown because I was suicidal, and my psychiatrist put me into an inpatient lockdown unit.  I was a risk to myself.  

At this time, I came to the conclusion that I could do one of 2 things:  

1) I could remain a very bitter, depressed, angry person for the rest of my life.  

2) I could turn to God, and allow Him to help me, and to make my life worth living.  

Thankfully, I went with option 2.  I spent many years in therapy and 12 step groups to try to get better.  God was with me, and He showed me the way.  It wasn't easy, there were many ups and downs, and it was painstaking, slow work.  It has taken many years, but slowly and gradually, I have shed the anger, bitterness, hate, despair, etc.  I am a work in progress, and still have issues, but God isn't finished with me yet.  My life is better now, not perfect, but better.  My life has meaning, I have people in my life who really care for me, and I care for them.  My marriage is much improved.  I really hope and pray the same can happen for you, and I believe it can, it just may take a lot of time and work.  

We have a forum here called "Finding Meaning".  I really hope this can help you.  I will be praying for you.  Please don't give up on life yet.  Even a very difficult and painful life can have deep meaning.

Finding Meaning

Also, have you considered a small reinstatement?  Even a very small one can help with WD.  Part of your despair could be from your CT of the drug 4 months ago.  I see you had side effects from it, but a very small dose would probably help you ameliorate the WD more than it would hurt you from side effects.  

• Mentor

@Jayy  I am so sorry that this is happening to you.  Please find some small amount of strength to dig down deep and face this head on.  This will have to come from somewhere  deep within yourself.  

No one is a loser.  I don't know you, I don't know what you look like, all I know is what you post and still I can say  You are a unique and precious human,  you deserve love and respect the same as anyone else. Most important, you will need to love yourself and know that there is a life out there for you.  So dig down deep, find a will to move towards that life.

You do not know how long it will take to heal your brain.  Not everyone have long recovery's.  You are not that far out from your ct of Pristiq, you can not assume that it will take along time.  I don't want you to feel like I am minimizing your pain because I know you are in a lot of pain,  not just from the meds but much deeper in your heart.     

Please find the will to do this.  You may not have support around you.  You have a lot of support here. 

We are here for you.  Can you be there for yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2021 at 12:38 PM, getofflex said:

You have iatrogenic damage from the Pristiq you took, and you believe it will never go away.  (I personally think there is still a chance for your healing).

I took this antidepressant because I've suffered from depression for over 10 years. I have never wanted to take any SSRI or SNRI, I told my doctor "I can NOT handle SSRI's".... " I am EXTREMELY sensetive" Multiple times. So what did they do.... They prescribed me the same thing they do for everyone, 1 week of pristiq at 25mg and then 50mg the next week. 

After telling my doctor I am sensitive, I can not handle SSRI/SNRIs They think I should take 50mg and not just 25m because they are mindlessly prescribing me what the normal thing is, they neglected my information and wellbeing. I handled the 25mg for a week, but still felt massive side affects, but I wanted to not be depressed and kept trying to listen to people that I thought they knew what they were doing. When I knew all along that they can not help and it is not worth it, but I tired for 1 month. 

After stopping Pristiq 50mg after 25 days. I had the worst experience of my life, I went on a 4-5 mile run like I usually do, and felt extremely uncoordinated, I would get very dizzy and felt faint every time I looked in a new direction. My head was buzzing and continues to buzz after  5 months quitting cold turkey. 

I finally understand what happened. Ototoxicity. The drug was too strong, after telling my dumbass doctor I was sensitive. It was causing damage in my inner ear to the cochlear cells and damaged the sensitive hairs, thus causing me to become dizzy on my runs and buzzing in my head that drives me into panic attack every morning and every night. 

Is there hope? After 5 months of constant buzzing, I'm not sure. The cochlear cells in the brain do not regenerate and do not form any new cells ever. So my hope is still there, but I feel like I am kidding my self trying to get the ringing to stop. The damage is done and it seems permanent. 

All I wanted was to get to a better mental space and feel less depressed. Now I have never been more depressed and hopeless my entire life, I am physically and mentally exhausted from my ears ringing constantly, Ive been to an audiologist and they prescribed me melatonin (Laugh). Not once did anyone tell me I suffered ototoxicity and had permanent ear damage from the drug I was over prescribed and I only took it for 1 month. I can not continue this battle with depression and the struggle to focus and get my life to a enjoyable place with this ringing. I already had trouble focusing now the ringing is all I can focus on, and to think that I have to live 30 more years and work like this is unbearable. I want to sue the **** out of my doctor and burry them in debt, have them living on the street if I could. 

But, I do not have withdrawal, It is damage to my ear cells that have little hope of healing, especially after what I now know was ototoxicity that can cause permanent damage, and WELL I CAN TELL ITS DAMAGED NOW. after having my intuition telling me that the AD was probably causing damage to my brain. AND IT DID. Wow i hate my life. 

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, Jayy said:

Is there hope?

Jayy,

Put the whole "ototoxicity" stuff on the shelf.  It is very unlikely that what you are experiencing is from some kind of poisoning event.  Most tinnitus is the result of hyperstimulation of the central nervous system.  SSRIs and withdrawal cause a shift in the body's excitatory system and throw many into a state of constant "fight or flight" where the sympathetic nervous system is in the "on" position all the time.  (See Alto's great piece on "one theory of antidepressant withdrawal" for a better understanding of the GABA/Glutamate shift that takes place in withdrawal.) As the body recovers and the parasympathetic system starts to regain a foothold in the central nervous system symptoms start to abate.  However, the more we fear and throw anxiety into the mix, the longer that process takes.  Which is why we preach self-soothing, passive acceptance and finding tools to calm your nervous system down on this site.  There is no magic bullet, but, over time, it is HIGHLY LIKELY that you will see symptoms abate, including the background noise in your ears, head, etc.

Trying to slow things down in your mind will go a long way to calming your nervous system.

Nobody can provide guarantees, but I would very much expect this to improve and probably fully resolve over time.

Best,

Andy 

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

On 8/5/2021 at 11:06 AM, apace41 said:

Most tinnitus is the result of hyperstimulation of the central nervous system.  SSRIs and withdrawal cause a shift in the body's excitatory system and throw many into a state of constant "fight or flight" where the sympathetic nervous system is in the "on" position all the time.  (See Alto's great piece on "one theory of antidepressant withdrawal" for a better understanding of the GABA/Glutamate shift that takes place in withdrawal.)

Apace41,

Thank you for your message, it gave me some relief.  I think it is my nervous system, because I am constantly on edge and feel like my wires are short circuiting (Which might not make sense), and my brain is buzzing. This buzzing sensation is my head is the weirdest and most unfomfortable thing I have experienced in my body, and it get worse when I drink caffeine, or worry, and I have been worrying A LOT, about what is happening to me and my life in general. I've been trying to get very rested sleep and eat healthy and exercise. 

After almost 5 months I still feel unwell, but the last week after reading your comment I believe that the ringing and buzzing in my head have soften noticeably for the first time, and I am very glad that is has, and will continue to try to calm my nervous system down, and hopefully feel better and eliminate the ringing, and extreme sense of anxiety and feelings of extreme depression. I've read online that Pristiq is notorious to have a discontinuation syndrome, I have never felt like this before, and it being months since my last dose feel frustrated and tired of this all the time, and I never knew that coming off of Pristiq would increase my anxiety and depression and also aggravate my nervous system and cause tinnitus and other trace WD symptoms 

I tried searching for the article  you mentioned Alto wrote "(See Alto's great piece on "one theory of antidepressant withdrawal" for a better understanding of the GABA/Glutamate shift that takes place in withdrawal." but have not been able to find it, and will try again some time this week to locate it and learn more of what is happening to me. 

Thank you for your reassuring message and giving me relief that this isn't permanent, and I have hope again that I can make a full recovery. I wish you well to the best and fastest recovery. I would like to be your friend if you need anything, and or someone to talk to. 

• Mentor

@Jayy  I glad that someone was able to ease your mind that these meds do cause a lot of problems with our cns.....

You are doing great.  You should be proud of yourself for getting to 5 months.  You are stronger than you think.

I do not have ringing in my ears,  I can relate to the intense tension, anxiety and underline panic. It is usually there most of the time.  It is a great relief when you get a little brake, not gone totally but way down. Sometimes it gets out of control that even meditation barely touches it. 

I have  brain buzzing, tingling, numb spots, vice grips squeezing my temples, feels like someone is trying to shove a round peg through the top of me head,  top of my brain is being shoved  in like a sink hole, pressure in the brain, sore spots that move around my brain.  Sometimes one or two things going on at the same time or a bunch of them happening at the same time.  Now you have to add in the disconnected thinking.

Picture looking into a funny mirror you see at fairs and carnivals, that is what my brain would feel (look) like.  And yes if I get over stimulated the buzzing is more intense and so is the disconnected thinking.  I do get a break from it most nights when I sleep.  How is your sleep?

Do you get dizzy with it to?  Feels like a bobble head at times too? 

I fight with the depression too....

Have you tried meditation?  Sometimes that is the only thing to slow my brain down when I get over stimulated.  If you are interested I have a really good one I can send you.  It is a guided meditation so you can just follow along.  It might help with the ringing in your ears.  It is called Healing chronic pain.  Pain comes in all forms, not just physical, depression, anxiety ect.  I will focus the meditation to what pain I am feeling day, so if it is depression that is what I focus on.

All of this can be so scary and overwhelming, but knowing that it is wd and you can heal.  Patience is very hard when you feel so bad for so long but we will get through this one day at a time.  I can't remember who, but one member said the days go by slow but the weeks go by fast.  I really think there is some truth to that.  Before I know it is Saturday and I am setting up my scale, pills, razor etc. and dong the next weeks doses.

I wish I could be off of the drugs like you🤪  I am waiting to stabilize before I can start to taper.

Reach out and meet other members, it does help to have support, you are not alone☺️ 

Edited by Greatful

On 8/10/2021 at 9:59 AM, Greatful said:

Have you tried meditation?

My sleep has been Ok. I get even get anxiety in my dreams and feel anxious before I go to bed almost every night. I usually wake up in th emiddle of the night/ or half way through my sleep and can't go back to sleep for an hour or 3. then I'll finally get exhausted and get another 4-5 hours of restful sleep.

I don't usually mediate because I'm so anxious, and when I calm my mind and start to breathe I can't focus on anything other than my ears ringing, I can't focus on almost anything  without my mind drifting to listen to see if my ears are ringing and then I hear the buzzing and I instantly become more depressed and angry. 

I really hope its withdrawal but I still can't seem to believe it is, because I only took it for a month, and ever really heard other than a few people who got ringing in their ears after a month and it continued for 5 months. A lot of stories I read said that even after 2-5 years they still have ringing and I can deal with that. After 5 months I have been in more depression and anxiety than before I took the AD. My life was empty and always has been, I have no one I can talk to about this, except if I see a theapist, and if I try to talk to someone I know they don't care and don't even want to understand. My dad just said " get over it; move on". Which just makes me feel more alone. I feel like i've been living in a prison with my thoughts and now it sounds like a  fire alarm is constantly going off.  And theres only a few stories I've heard of antidepressants causing tinnitus and the ones that resolved did it in a few days to weeks. the ones that havent had been dealing with tinnitus for years. So  my hope is wavering and I hope I can rest in silence soon. 

I have always felt disconnected and now it is worse. I pray that I can be happy and have my body back to before I took that piece of **** AD thats ruined half a year for me already. 

Thank you for your message it helps me feel less alone, and knowing that others have faith helps me strengthen mine. 

I hope you are able to heal fully and get to enjoy feeling normal one day again. ❤️

• Moderator Emeritus

@JayyI won't lie to you.  Unfortunately, it takes many months to years to recover from a cold turkey, and you've done 2 CT's in the past year.  I know this is not what you want to hear, but maybe it will give you some hope for the future.  

12 hours ago, Jayy said:

My life was empty and always has been, I have no one I can talk to about this, except if I see a theapist, and if I try to talk to someone I know they don't care and don't even want to understand

This makes me truly sad to hear this.  Unfortunately, most people these days are too busy or self preoccupied to really listen to others and care for them.  I think your idea of possibly talking to a therapist is a good one.  Also, have you considered developing a spiritual life?  This can really help, especially with feelings of emptiness.  Please hang in there.  You can overcome this tinnitus, and there is the possibility of having a more happy and meaningful life as well.  Please don't give up.  

@Jayy I just read your posts and I’m so sorry your going through this.... I’m a adverse reaction case too , my heart hurts for you but we will heal that’s all we have to hold on to , your in my prayers tonight 

take care 🙏🏼

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

On 8/12/2021 at 10:53 AM, getofflex said:

I won't lie to you.  Unfortunately, it takes many months to years to recover from a cold turkey, and you've done 2 CT's in the past year.  I know this is not what you want to hear, but maybe it will give you some hope for the future.

I'm not sure what Pristiq did to my brain. But I am scared that it is permanent. The longest I ever had ringing in my ears was from a concert that lasted 2-3 days. I know one person who was on ADs for years, and stopped cold turkey and didn't have noticeable withdrawal. 

All I know is that something happened in my brain that caused tinnitus. and after 5-6 months of this constant ringing I am scared. I used to enjoy running 4-5 miles a day, but I noticed that any physical activity makes the ringing more intense, and I used to really love running and very hard workouts to clear my mind, but now I am scared that it is prolonging my healing and or reenforcing the tinnitus. 

I don't have any other side affects. although I am more depressed and have more anxiety than I took the AD. It is just the tinnitus that is ruining my life and ability to be happy on occasion. I also get tension headaches because of how penetrating the tinnitus is and how often i focus on it. 

I read through the tinnitus thread and I saw one person after 1.5 years said his went away, and that gave me hope. But I unfortunately have a negative mind and tendencies and let these negative thought control my mind and spirit, which is why I started an AD. I just keep praying it heals and starts to fade. I am desperate for relief 

6 minutes ago, Jayy said:

I'm not sure what Pristiq did to my brain. But I am scared that it is permanent. The longest I ever had ringing in my ears was from a concert that lasted 2-3 days. I know one person who was on ADs for years, and stopped cold turkey and didn't have noticeable withdrawal. 

All I know is that something happened in my brain that caused tinnitus. and after 5-6 months of this constant ringing I am scared. I used to enjoy running 4-5 miles a day, but I noticed that any physical activity makes the ringing more intense, and I used to really love running and very hard workouts to clear my mind, but now I am scared that it is prolonging my healing and or reenforcing the tinnitus. 

I don't have any other side affects. although I am more depressed and have more anxiety than I took the AD. It is just the tinnitus that is ruining my life and ability to be happy on occasion. I also get tension headaches because of how penetrating the tinnitus is and how often i focus on it. 

I read through the tinnitus thread and I saw one person after 1.5 years said his went away, and that gave me hope. But I unfortunately have a negative mind and tendencies and let these negative thought control my mind and spirit, which is why I started an AD. I just keep praying it heals and starts to fade. I am desperate for relief 

I am sorry to hear u are suffering from tinnitus, these drugs are evil. However, please allow me to say that I would be the happiest person on earth if my only symptom was tinnitus… following 3.5 weeks on Zoloft I have been mostly bedridden for the last 10 months with severe depersonalization, derealization, vision problems, inner dread, fear fear fear fir no reason, depression, mental akathisia, brain feels numb, extreme fatigue, muscle spasms, strong arm ache and tinnitus ….… to give u some hope about tinnitus, mine was constant first few months and morphed into head buzzing after about 6 months and this head buzzing is very very slowly getting less loud… I think urs will also go “silent” or just on the background so u ll barely notice it. Don’t loose hope and take strength from not having severe neuroemotions (especially mental akathisia and depersonalization… evil created symptoms….!!).

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

• Mentor

@Jayy  I know it is rough for you but do not give up hope.  You will heal.

I started to reread kenA thread the other day and he had tinnitus really bad and he is pretty much healed.  Did you ever read his story?

If not, I really encourage you to read it.  In fact he is still reaching out and helping people.  Please reach out to him and get some encouragement from him.

Also cocopuffz had it really bad also and has written his success story. He to is still reaching out and helping people.

10 minutes ago, Jayy said:

I used to enjoy running 4-5 miles a day, but I noticed that any physical activity makes the ringing more intense, and I used to really love running and very hard workouts to clear my mind, but now I am scared that it is prolonging my healing and or re enforcing the tinnitus. 

Have you been able to outside and go for a walk. This may help ease some of the low mood and anxiety. Intense workouts and running can intensify your symptoms.  This can happen to anyone in WD.  I try to go for a walk 6 days a week.    

It might go on for a little bit longer but it will get better.  

You are doing a super job hanging in there. 

9 minutes ago, JesusSavemefromWD said:

I think urs will also go “silent” or just on the background so u ll barely notice it. Don’t loose hope and take strength from not having severe neuroemotions (especially mental akathisia and depersonalization… evil created symptoms….!!).

I am sorry that you are experiencing so many terrible symptoms. I will keep you in my thoughts and pray for your recovery and  hope you get relief soon. 

I am suffering from depersonalization, but I believe I have always had it and it has only gotten worse with time, Im not sure if the drug caused it. But I know that the drug caused me to become more depressed more often and my anxiety is crippling. I relate to having extreme fear as well and it has gotten worse after the AD, and I thought it was bad before. 

Thank you for your hope and making me feel less alone. 

12 minutes ago, Greatful said:

Have you been able to outside and go for a walk. This may help ease some of the low mood and anxiety. Intense workouts and running can intensify your symptoms.  This can happen to anyone in WD.  I try to go for a walk 6 days a week.    

It might go on for a little bit longer but it will get better.  

You are doing a super job hanging in there

I have been going on a 1.5 mile walk almost everyday since I stopped taking the AD, and I believe it helps me recover so I do it no matter how tired I am. although I notice that my inner thoughts when I am on a walk or run have become more ruminating and negative than before I started the AD. I just need to find hope and believe it will go away. 

Thank you greatful, for your reply and hope. It truly helps and I am thankful, that your words  make me feel less lonely and gives me hope. 

16 minutes ago, Jayy said:

I have been going on a 1.5 mile walk almost everyday since I stopped taking the AD, and I believe it helps me recover so I do it no matter how tired I am. although I notice that my inner thoughts when I am on a walk or run have become more ruminating and negative than before I started the AD. I just need to find hope and believe it will go away. 

Thank you greatful, for your reply and hope. It truly helps and I am thankful, that your words  make me feel less lonely and gives me hope. 

I am sorry u also suffer from depression, depersonalization and anxiety/fear ; I didn’t realize that reading here. I didn’t have these symptoms ever before zoloft so mine appeared during Zoloft and made 100x worst after quitting, so I  am sure ur symptoms were also made worst after quitting ur AD. Evil evil drugs… at sine point are brains plasticity should go full force and we recover… I was able to walk a bit during first months of this nightmare but as time goes by I just can’t anymore … I ll give it a try again … I ll pray for both of us …,

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

• Moderator Emeritus
13 hours ago, Jayy said:

But I unfortunately have a negative mind and tendencies and let these negative thought control my mind and spirit, which is why I started an AD

I think you may have hit an important point with this statement.  When we focus so much on a particular thing, it just gets bigger and bigger in our minds.  I know because I have this issue.  If I go to a social event, and everyone except one person is nice to me, I tend to dwell on the one rude comment that one person made to me.  Then I forget about all the nice people and pleasant conversations I had.  I believe that CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) can help with this.  Also, there are several techniques to help with this.  I'll post some links about that here: 

Dealing with Emotional Spirals

Acknowledge Accept Float

• Mentor

@Jayy  I am glad to see you are making an effort to deal with WD.  Man I hate it just as much as the next guy.  But we have no choice but to put one foot in front of the other clomp, clomp, clomp, Right!

18 hours ago, Jayy said:

But I unfortunately have a negative mind and tendencies and let these negative thought control my mind and spirit, which is why I started an AD.

I don't remember, are you seeing a therapist now?  If  you are interested in some self help books that you can read and study on your own time.

I like David Burns "Feeling Good" the new mood therapy.  This teaches you cognitive therapy skills. Like CBT that @getofflex mentioned. I was surprise by how distorted my thinking was and how much of a impacted it had on  how I look at things.  My distorted thinking  was causing a lot of my negative out look.  I really think everyone should learn the 10 cognitive distortion that can have a negative influence our health.  I recently bought his book "when panic attacks"  I will see how this helps with my anxiety.  One of the big ones that I find myself doing is Mind reading.  How in the world do I know what anyone is thinking?  

18 hours ago, Jayy said:

ruminating and negative than before I started the AD. I just need to find hope and believe it will go away. 

This is very common in WD.  Remind yourself that your thoughts are really morphed and are probably lying to you.  Wd again.

Look on Symptoms & Self-Care. there are threads that talk about ruminating, ocd, fear, guilt, past experiences coming up to haunt you.  The list goes on.  I found relief and comfort when I saw I wasn't the only one having such crazy things going on in my head.

Did you find any encouragement from  cocopuffz story or kenA story😁 

It's nice to see you reaching out more.

You are never alone☺️

On 8/5/2021 at 11:06 AM, apace41 said:

Put the whole "ototoxicity" stuff on the shelf.  It is very unlikely that what you are experiencing is from some kind of poisoning event.  Most tinnitus is the result of hyperstimulation of the central nervous system.  SSRIs and withdrawal cause a shift in the body's excitatory system and throw many into a state of constant "fight or flight" where the sympathetic nervous system is in the "on" position all the time.  (See Alto's great piece on "one theory of antidepressant withdrawal" for a better understanding of the GABA/Glutamate shift that takes place in withdrawal.

6 months and the ringing hasn't changed, it is constant is is high pitched and intrusive every minute of the day. When I look up glutamate and tinnitus on google this shows up... "Glutamate is the primary villain in cochlear-synaptic tinnitus. This type of tinnitus develops when hair cells in the cochlea are damaged. This is caused primarily by exposure to loud noise or ototoxic drugs which damage the hair cells'

My hair cells are extremely long and and fragile on my body so I can image that the hair cells in my ear were long and even more fragile, and the drug I took was so strong and I did feel like it was ototoxicity because of the tinnitus was so loud and ow dizzy i felt for 1 month after stopping the drug, which are symptoms of damage to the inner ear hair cells. Those hair cells don't regenerate or heal. I am so upset, because when I know that me being isolated was the major factor for my terrible depression. I didn't need to take a SSRI or SNRI, I only need to have a friend and a purpose to wake up. But i still don't have those and I have tinnitus that wakes me up and never lets me sleep. I am in constant distress and I don't feel like there is hope for the tinnitus to fade or heal completely after reading so many stories that they have had it for years. 

Today I started to take magnesium-glycinate to hopefully try to increase GABA and to help my anxiety. I am praying that it helps. I am too angry everyday because every morning I wake up and hoep the tinnitus is gone or faded but it is loud and it is constant. I threw out a pair of 300 dollar head phones because I could hear static between songs, and now that static is deep in my head and I can't escape it. I have also looked into taking 12mg iodine to see if it could help the somatic nervous system because of how desperate I am. I don;t know what to do.