blossomtree: Trapped on sertraline and now forced to cold turkey this weekend

blossomtree

I have been trapped on Sertraline for 5 years (Citalopram for 5 years before that for treatment of severe anxiety ).

In 2016, due to the numbing effects that Citalopram was having on my emotions, libido and the negative impact on my personal relationships, I tapered from 20mg to zero over the space of a week (GP said this was fine).  Uncontrollable rage and despair led to a suicide attempt and I eagerly accepted the sertraline I was prescribed by a mental health nurse. 

I have attempted to taper off sertraline twice, first time by dropping dose of 150mg to 50mg every other day, under advice from GP.  Second time by dropping dose of 150mg by a quarter every other day, using a pill cutter.  Both times I experienced the horrendous, horrendous, uncontrollable rage (this is always the first and most devastating symptom to show and its just awful for my family) within three days. 

I have ADD and have messed up my prescriptions a handful of times forcing me to go cold turkey for a couple of days.  By the end of the first day without sertraline I have extreme headaches and extreme rage. The GP's do not believe me.  They tell me this is not possible.  I have ended up shouting down the phone at the 'prescription receptionist' who told me its perfectly acceptable to go up to a week of NO sertraline after being on 150mg daily (in my case for years). She hung up on me. 

This time the cock up isn't all mine, the prescription delivery service I use just hasn't dispatched my tablets yet (4 days late) and my last tablet was yesterday, so I am facing another 2 days without sertraline. 

I am being treated (my mum paid for this with a private consultant in desperation) with HRT (estrogen gel) for Pre Menstrual Dysphoric Disorder - diagnosed and started treatment 2020 - estrogel has helped so much with my horrible PMS symptoms but I still have to find a way of being treated with progesterone that I can tolerate, stop breastfeeding so I can also be treated with testosterone etc etc 

When my treatment for PMDD has been established I desperately want to come off sertraline.  I have little libido or ability to orgasm, I feel numb, I can't shift the two stone I put on since being on antidepressants.  I mentioned this to my GP last week and he dismissed the possibility that my withdrawal symptoms could be that bad, and said nevertheless we wont talk about it until your treatment for PMDD is stable and you are at the best that you can be - which I agree with. 

My questions are

1) is there any advice for coping with the weekend I am facing going cold turkey from Sertraline?  

2) will I be ok to reinstate to 150mg when my Sertraline arrives next week?

3) how can I convince my stubborn GP to prescribe sertraline as a liquid so that i can do the 10% tapering advised on here? 

Many many thanks. 

Edited by Gridley

2011 - 2012: citalopram 10mg 

2012 - 2016: citalopram 20mg

2016 - present: sertraline 100mg

Attempted to taper off from sertraline in 2017 by dropping dose to 50mg on alternate days as per GP suggestion and in 2018 when pregnant with third child by reducing dose by 25mg (using pill cutter) every other day - by day 3 on both attempts my rage was out of control so abandoned tapering.  

2000iu vitD daily

multivitamin

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, blossomtree.  I'm sorry you're going through this.

Your GP and his staff have given you consistently terrible advice.  Skipping doses, advised by your GP,  is (except for cold turkey) the worst way to taper.  It causes the amount of the drug in your system to go up and down, battering the nervous system and making withdrawal worse.

NEVER SKIP DOSES TO TAPER - Tapering - Surviving ...

6 hours ago, blossomtree said:

By the end of the first day without sertraline I have extreme headaches and extreme rage. The GP's do not believe me.  They tell me this is not possible.  I have ended up shouting down the phone at the 'prescription receptionist' who told me its perfectly acceptable to go up to a week of NO sertraline after being on 150mg daily (in my case for years). 

Sertraline has one of the shorter half-lives of the SSRI's, and it is totally to be expected that you would experience withdrawal after one day without Sertraline.  Headaches and anger are typical withdrawal symptoms.  As for the comment by the prescription receptionist, going off Sertraline for a week after being on the drug for years is a cold turkey, the worst way to taper.  

To answer your questions:

1.  Is there any way to get the drugs shipped sooner?  I would explore all options.  I know the UK has a Byzantine medical system, but could your doctor or any doctor call in an emergency prescription to cover the days until your drugs arrive?  Failing that, the only thing I can recommend is magnesium (glycinate is a good form) and omega 3's.  These are calming to the system and are well-tolerated by most (though not all) of us in withdrawal.   Start one at a time at a low dose and see how it does.  Then you can add in the other.  Some people like to dissolve the magnesium in water and sip it throughout the day.

Get supplements that ae single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

I would try to avoid all stress and stock up on food as needed. 

2.  If you've only been off the Sertraline for only two days, you could reinstate the 150mg once your drugs arrive.

3.  That's a tough one.  Liquid is the easiest and most accurate way to taper.  The following paper from the U.K. psychiatric association isn't about liquid but is an 180 degree about face on the prevalence and severity of withdrawal, and anything that helps you taper safely should be employed.

You may want to print this article out. It's from the U.K. Royal College of Psychiatry (RCP):

And here's an article with leaders in the RCP explaining why they wrote that. 

I wouldn't make this change now but in the future you may want to consider eliminating the B vitamin.  B vitamins are often to activating to people in withdrawal.

Once your drugs arrive, I wouldn't make any changes for a while to allow yourself to recover from the 2-day hiatus.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Gridley changed the title to blossomtree: Trapped on sertraline and now forced to cold turkey this weekend

Hi I've realised I wrote in my post and on my signature that I am on 150mg sertraline - doh! I'm actually on 100mg. Brain fog. 

I went Friday cold turkey, on Saturday I was starting to feel very ill indeed - sick and terrible woozy headaches.  Luckily my neighbour (such a good egg) told me she is also on sertraline but 50mg tablets.  She gave me 5 x 50mg tablets so I took two on Saturday, two on Sunday and one on Monday. These were a different brand- Lustral. My 100mg tablets finally arrived yesterday afternoon and I took one in the evening. I think they're a generic brand. 

This morning I have woken with the 2orst headache I have ever had in my life. I have felt like my brain is being clamped all day long, and it has gotten progressively worse.  I am shivering with cold and have aches all over my body. I am very dizzy and my vision is quite blurry. I have never felt like this before. I've just taken another 100mg tablet a couple of hours ago but no relief. 

Could this be related to the withdrawal? 

2011 - 2012: citalopram 10mg 

2012 - 2016: citalopram 20mg

2016 - present: sertraline 100mg

Attempted to taper off from sertraline in 2017 by dropping dose to 50mg on alternate days as per GP suggestion and in 2018 when pregnant with third child by reducing dose by 25mg (using pill cutter) every other day - by day 3 on both attempts my rage was out of control so abandoned tapering.  

2000iu vitD daily

multivitamin

• Administrator

Hello, @blossomtree

You've had headaches before as a withdrawal symptom, it's highly likely your current headaches are from withdrawal. It may take a while for your nervous system to settle down from going off and on your drugs.

After it settles for a good while, you might consider tapering much more slowly. See Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

Please let us know how you're doing. 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.