SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Paxil3days: Paxil only 3 days can cause severe withdrawals?

Paxil3days

• Administrator

If you can, you will want to treat your nervous system very gently for a good while, maybe a year, to let it go back to factory settings.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 6/7/2021 at 2:14 PM, KenA said:

@Paxil3days

Just read through your thread! Wanted to reassure you that yes, you will heal and feel better one day! It took a very very long time for me to feel better, but I'm back to my old self now and feeling better every day! Like everyone else has said, just give it time!! More and more time!! You are going to be ok!

Hey thank you @KenA we all want this nightmare to end sooner than later . 

2018 - Zoloft for 5 days then CT due to severe nausea , no severe withdrawals and no adverse reaction.

OCT 2020- vitamin D (5000iu) -which I know now is too high dosage and looking back it now I realize it was causing mood issues, which led me to search for ADs.

2021 - Paxil 3 days  (Feb 16,17,18)CT due to severe nausea ( side note day of CT I got my second dose of covid 19 vaccine which could have further destabilized my CNS) then 4 weeks later severe adverse reaction that included every single WD symptom on here.

2021- month out ( April 05, 07)not knowing what was going on went to ER twice and was placed on hydroxyzine and Reglan (anti-nausea) ( which I know now affects serotonin levels also) nothing helped.

Then went to two different psychiatrists one who referred me to GI for the nausea denying Paxil had anything to do with my symptoms, the second one prescribed me Buspirone Klonopin, and Trazadone ( I refused to take neither , thank God) I had feeling it still was the Paxil.

April 30th -CT everything Bc nothing was helping and miraculously found this website SA and saw every symptom I was going through.

Currently no drugs, only fish oil in the evenings. !!! 

14 hours ago, Altostrata said:

If you can, you will want to treat your nervous system very gently for a good while, maybe a year, to let it go back to factory settings.

Hi @Altostrata I am , just nervous of how crazy 3 pills adverse reaction did to me, like I had all the symptoms of folks who been on it for years and tht was throwing me off like how. The Akathesia has gone away for about a month now and makes me happy , and other symptoms are calming down, my fear is later down the road , even if tread my system kindly down the road , will it all reappear?  I am going slow and steady for a year hopefully! 

2018 - Zoloft for 5 days then CT due to severe nausea , no severe withdrawals and no adverse reaction.

OCT 2020- vitamin D (5000iu) -which I know now is too high dosage and looking back it now I realize it was causing mood issues, which led me to search for ADs.

2021 - Paxil 3 days  (Feb 16,17,18)CT due to severe nausea ( side note day of CT I got my second dose of covid 19 vaccine which could have further destabilized my CNS) then 4 weeks later severe adverse reaction that included every single WD symptom on here.

2021- month out ( April 05, 07)not knowing what was going on went to ER twice and was placed on hydroxyzine and Reglan (anti-nausea) ( which I know now affects serotonin levels also) nothing helped.

Then went to two different psychiatrists one who referred me to GI for the nausea denying Paxil had anything to do with my symptoms, the second one prescribed me Buspirone Klonopin, and Trazadone ( I refused to take neither , thank God) I had feeling it still was the Paxil.

April 30th -CT everything Bc nothing was helping and miraculously found this website SA and saw every symptom I was going through.

2 minutes ago, Paxil3days said:

Hi @Altostrata I am , just nervous of how crazy 3 pills adverse reaction did to me, like I had all the symptoms of folks who been on it for years and tht was throwing me off like how. The Akathesia has gone away for about a month now and makes me happy , and other symptoms are calming down, my fear is later down the road , even if tread my system kindly down the road , will it all reappear?  I am going slow and steady for a year hopefully! 

Also @Altostrata do you know anyone with such and adverse redaction who literally had all the symptoms and recovered fully? 

1 minute ago, Phoenixmama said:

@Paxil3days ❤️

How are you ? @Phoenixmama

@Paxil3days holding on tight , having all the worries you are currently... and fear that I have been taking too high of a dose which is a childs brand and is 1mg for one gummy.... 

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

1 minute ago, Phoenixmama said:

@Paxil3days holding on tight , having all the worries you are currently... and fear that I have been taking too high of a dose which is a childs brand and is 1mg for one gummy.... 

what are you taking? @Phoenixmama

zarbees gummy melatonin for kids @Paxil3days

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Paxil3days said:

Hey thank you @KenA we all want this nightmare to end sooner than later . 

Of course :) I promise it will end one day, it did for me :) I'm back to enjoying life now and so will you :)

2010-2011 - Tramadol - Can't remember dosage

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

2011-2019 - St Johns Wart - Started out at 3 Pills a day (300 MG) and increased to 6 per day over the years

August 2019 - CT Quit St Johns (Told by Hospital Dr to Stop Taking due to increased BP)

September 2019 - Citalopram 10mg - Approx 2 weeks - CT Quit

September 2019 - October 2019 - Clonazepam .5mg - Approx 3 weeks - CT Quit

Drug Free Since October 5th 2019

36 minutes ago, KenA said:

Of course :) I promise it will end one day, it did for me :) I'm back to enjoying life now and so will you :)

@KenA when did you first start noticing changes I am 4 months in and I have seen the most recovery in month 3 and month4 , first two months were the toughest ever !!!!!

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Paxil3days said:

@KenA when did you first start noticing changes I am 4 months in and I have seen the most recovery in month 3 and month4 , first two months were the toughest ever !!!!!

@Paxil3days I was a longterm, but for me, the worst of it was the first 6 months or so, then my insomnia got better and I was able to sleep again, then about month 10 I had another really good improvement when most of my physical symptoms subsided. Around 12-14 months most of the emotional stuff subsided, and around month 16 the mental stuff was mostly over. It was a ton of ups and downs and waves and windows, but now at almost 22 months out I consider myself 99 percent healed. Every once in a while ill have a ripple for a couple hours, but its all good healing to me :) acceptance and time was what worked for me :)

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

2011-2019 - St Johns Wart - Started out at 3 Pills a day (300 MG) and increased to 6 per day over the years

August 2019 - CT Quit St Johns (Told by Hospital Dr to Stop Taking due to increased BP)

8 minutes ago, KenA said:

@Paxil3days I was a longterm, but for me, the worst of it was the first 6 months or so, then my insomnia got better and I was able to sleep again, then about month 10 I had another really good improvement when most of my physical symptoms subsided. Around 12-14 months most of the emotional stuff subsided, and around month 16 the mental stuff was mostly over. It was a ton of ups and downs and waves and windows, but now at almost 22 months out I consider myself 99 percent healed. Every once in a while ill have a ripple for a couple hours, but its all good healing to me :) acceptance and time was what worked for me :)

It’s just so tiring at times, just when you feel like you are in the clear, it comes back!! Thank you for sharing . But trying to get through as best as I can.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Paxil3days said:

It’s just so tiring at times, just when you feel like you are in the clear, it comes back!! Thank you for sharing . But trying to get through as best as I can.

@Paxil3daysI completely understand!! It truly is exhausting, but just imagine how strong you are gonna be in 6 months or a year from now!! This whole journey strenghtened me in way I could never imagine! I am such a stronger and more resiiant person now and things that come my way barely phase me at all anymore! This truly is non-linear healing but its still healing :) Take each day the best you can and allow yourself time to heal :) You are gonna be ok :)

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

• Administrator

It doesn't make sense to worry about something that may or may not happen years in the future.

You probably will want to avoid alcohol for a good long while, and steroids and antibiotics if they're not absolutely necessary.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@getofflex @Altostrata ugh need help , I decided to do 15 minute cycling and 30 min treadmill in combination of running and walking last night, it felt great. Today I woke up slightly nauseous and just feeling off. When does this all go away sooooooo sick of it., Its so depressing feeling locked in our bodies. 

• Moderator Emeritus

When your nervous system is sensitized, too much exercise can bring on WD symptoms.  That sounds like a lot of exercise.  I've had the same thing happen to me.  If it were me, I would take it easy for a couple of days, and then I would just do mild exercise, like a gentle walk outside, or some low key treadmill walking.  

Eventually, you should be able to tolerate more exercise.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

@getofflex, ugh I used to be able to exercise for hours on daily basis. Now I feel so low Bc of what I can’t do anymore. I don’t know how long this is gonna last. This is horrible . 

29 minutes ago, Paxil3days said:

@getofflex, ugh I used to be able to exercise for hours on daily basis. Now I feel so low Bc of what I can’t do anymore. I don’t know how long this is gonna last. This is horrible . 

You will get better, just continue to try and be patient.  I know it gets frustrating, this whole withdrawal situation is a test of patience and tolerance of physical and mental pain.  It wears on you, but it does get better.

There was a point the only exercise I could do was slow walking, sometimes event that was triggering and would upset my CNS.  Now I can go for a run, do exercises at the gym, etc.  

It took time and putting up with the frustration of not being able to do something that was once routine.

Sorry you are going through this, but just as you have seen progress in other areas you will see progress in this.

40 yo Male. Started Paxil about 15 years ago. 10 mg (pill weight .125 - .129 g). 5 yrs wanted less side effects, doctor took me off Paxil over couple week period and put me on Wellbutrin. Not good. Went back on Paxil. Relieved my symptoms, but didn't work as well and more side effects. Severe reaction between Paxil and Zomig Summer of 2012. Head was affected during warmer days (cloudiness, confusion, pressure). Began 10% withdrawal 10/24/12.

Withdrawel helped many symptoms, but also added side effects: nausea, dizziness, tiredness. Hyper-anxiety started January 2014.

Went through a 2 year period of de-realization (2016-2018).  Rarely any windows.  
Current dose: 0.00 as of 4/10/21.  Made a lot of progress in my withdrawal symptoms the last 2 years of my taper.  I think doing a liquid taper helped stabilize things on the lower doses.  A lot of my symptoms have reduced significantly.  Hoping for even more improvement now that I am off.
My thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8909-rusty1-paxil-withdrawal-help-and-advice-welcome/#entry150222

@Rusty1 thank you so much , just sometimes for me it felt like I changed in a day not in years, after just taking 3 pills , like it was not years ago that I was able to run it was literally like few months ago, and that is so very difficult to take in at times 💔. I thank you though for confirming that running and gym exercise will all come back sooner than later hopefully! 

1 hour ago, Paxil3days said:

@Rusty1 thank you so much , just sometimes for me it felt like I changed in a day not in years, after just taking 3 pills , like it was not years ago that I was able to run it was literally like few months ago, and that is so very difficult to take in at times 💔. I thank you though for confirming that running and gym exercise will all come back sooner than later hopefully! 

I understand you may feel uniquely frustrated by this since you only too 3 pills. That is unbelievable it can have such an effect. I had been on for several years and had a slow and rough taper with my CNS struggling to adjust and I am now in a position where I can work out.

It is unfortunate we all have to adapt to a new reality. But I do not believe it is permanent, I have watched my own body change so much in how it has recovered and most others if they stick around the site long enough report things get better over time.

We don't know when, but you will get better.

40 yo Male. Started Paxil about 15 years ago. 10 mg (pill weight .125 - .129 g). 5 yrs wanted less side effects, doctor took me off Paxil over couple week period and put me on Wellbutrin. Not good. Went back on Paxil. Relieved my symptoms, but didn't work as well and more side effects. Severe reaction between Paxil and Zomig Summer of 2012. Head was affected during warmer days (cloudiness, confusion, pressure). Began 10% withdrawal 10/24/12.

Withdrawel helped many symptoms, but also added side effects: nausea, dizziness, tiredness. Hyper-anxiety started January 2014.

Went through a 2 year period of de-realization (2016-2018).  Rarely any windows.  
Current dose: 0.00 as of 4/10/21.  Made a lot of progress in my withdrawal symptoms the last 2 years of my taper.  I think doing a liquid taper helped stabilize things on the lower doses.  A lot of my symptoms have reduced significantly.  Hoping for even more improvement now that I am off.
My thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8909-rusty1-paxil-withdrawal-help-and-advice-welcome/#entry150222

@Rusty1 it’s just feels so long after such short time that is why I am like this is gonna feel like this forever. 

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Paxil3days said:

15 minute cycling and 30 min treadmill in combination of running and walking last night,

If this makes you feel ill, do 10 minutes cycling and 25 min treadmill in combination with running and walking for a while.

Use common sense to build up to activity.

5 hours ago, Paxil3days said:

@getofflex @Altostrata ugh need help , I decided to do 15 minute cycling and 30 min treadmill in combination of running and walking last night, it felt great. Today I woke up slightly nauseous and just feeling off. When does this all go away sooooooo sick of it., Its so depressing feeling locked in our bodies. 

Re-read this...interesting that you say you felt great during working out and no complaints afterwards until this morning?

Could there have been anything else that contributed?

I am a case study of one here - but when I had my issues with working out it happened immediately.  All my symptoms started getting worse while I was working out and then it would take a day or two for me to recover from it.

Watch your symptoms and see how you do.  Altostrata had a good idea in trying again, but reducing your workout and see what happens.

@Rusty1 I think it may have been the adrenaline of working out, but yes I did not feel any symptom during workout which allowed me to keep going. It also allowed me to sleep well too. Just the next day my mood was off, but I have been kinda in a wave since Monday. 

32 minutes ago, Paxil3days said:

@Rusty1 I think it may have been the adrenaline of working out, but yes I did not feel any symptom during workout which allowed me to keep going. It also allowed me to sleep well too. Just the next day my mood was off, but I have been kinda in a wave since Monday. 

It may have been the wave or a combo of the workout intensity and the wave.

I would wait a couple days and let things hopefully settle down then give it a try again with reduced intensity.  I know it is tedious, but hopefully it will work for you.

Update: 

so this week I decided to get on the treadmill for 25 minutes and do a combination of walking and running , and 15 min on cycling, day1 afterwards felt really rough, day2 got a littler better, day 3 was same as day 2. 
I listened to @Altostrata on not over doing it and actually lessened my time by 5minutes every time. 

I haven’t experienced a pure window yet where the entire day I am like hey this is the normal me ever since my horrible adverse reaction 4 months ago. 

The positives : I am slowly able to run and cycle and sweat through exercise. Day 1 I developed 1 small bump is on right arm and another on my left arm. They were hives that went away in a matter of an hour , but were very itchy , by day 3 of exercise this did not occur. After day 3 , today I have woken up feeling like I am in a pure window, I don’t want to jinx it bc I do think the waves will come back again. 

so in short if you can , get on treadmill and cycle machine and get some sweat out !!

@Paxil3days im smiling from ear to ear for you 😊

currently taking mag

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

@Paxil3days, how are you doing?

Hey @Altostrata recovery sped up real well after working out for six weeks straight and increasing intensity. Over the weekend had some arguments with family, and i feel like I have gone backwards in a deep wave, although I never felt that I have had pure windows, just mild symptom days to weeks. How can 3 pills do this ? I am eating right, sleeping better , and exercising, but I feel forever stuck in this situation!!!

• Administrator

4 hours ago, Paxil3days said:

Hey @Altostrata recovery sped up real well after working out for six weeks straight and increasing intensity. Over the weekend had some arguments with family, and i feel like I have gone backwards in a deep wave, although I never felt that I have had pure windows, just mild symptom days to weeks. How can 3 pills do this ? I am eating right, sleeping better , and exercising, but I feel forever stuck in this situation!!!

It appears you have been doing far better than you previously had (overall). I would take that as a sign your body is slowly healing and you will get to your end goal. Unfortunately it isnt always quick and I wouldnt focus on how many pills you took. It happened and it isnt fair, but your situation now is to try and live your best life with it until it fades away.

@Rusty1 thank you for the healing words. It just frustrating that we all on here have to suffer at the hands of doctors and their medication. Instead of promoting healthy diet, exercise and sleep , they push down meds the moment you mention anxiety or depression. I have lost all trust in the medical models. It’s insane how much of how much power we give them and yet we are here. I hope all medical doctors who prescribe these drugs take their own medications and learn from what happens Bc I feel that’s the only way they will learn about what they prescribe is harmful. 

8 minutes ago, Paxil3days said:

@Rusty1 thank you for the healing words. It just frustrating that we all on here have to suffer at the hands of doctors and their medication. Instead of promoting healthy diet, exercise and sleep , they push down meds the moment you mention anxiety or depression. I have lost all trust in the medical models. It’s insane how much of how much power we give them and yet we are here. I hope all medical doctors who prescribe these drugs take their own medications and learn from what happens Bc I feel that’s the only way they will learn about what they prescribe is harmful. 

I get it. I still have that feeling. One of my bigger symptoms now is just the PTSD from what we went through. It is very traumatizing. 

I too lost complete faith in doctors and have a hard time wanting to see them. It made my partner furious when she would go with me to the doctor and they wouldnt believe my symptoms and ignore me.

Lately I have been trying to focus on the other aspects of the medication in that there are risks/rewards with all medications and all health conditions. I try not to get too wound up about if I should or should not been prescribed the medication and if I was properly warned...or if any of that would have made a difference in my decision making. I just dont know.

When going through withdrawal I was severely anti these medications. I still am not for their widespread use in the way doctors seemingly prescribe them, but I also try to remind myself we are the 1%, the worst case scenarios. These doctors see people all the time who jump on and off with no disruption to their lives.

I dont want to make excuses for them, I think it has become my way of trying not to hold too much anger around the situation. At this point I want for myself to be able to move on and have this in the past. Sometimes I wish I was more of an advocate to change the practices the doctors have with these medications, but that is not my personality. I always have been hyper focused on myself and the loved ones around me and tend to not involve myself with the rest of the world.

Best of luck, I hope you are able to find yourself feeling symptom free. 

How are you doing these days @Rusty1 have any symptoms left? 

2 hours ago, Paxil3days said:

How are you doing these days @Rusty1 have any symptoms left? 

Overall doing really well. Almost all my normal life function has resumed.

I had major sensitivity issues while in withdrawal. I can tell that has improved but not sure where it stands entirely as I dont want to push it unless I have to. My goal there is to try and give my body as much time as I can to heal and see where it ends up.

My derealization is gone, mental clarity and memory has been making steady improvement once making the jump to 0, I can exercise with no waves, I still have morning cortisol spikes - but the have lessened, still have trouble sleeping in the morning, getting off the meds increased my plant allergies - that is slowly making improvements, return of my original anxiety - but knew that was going to happen, the emotional blunting is gone.

I still have some unknowns and a few residual symptoms, but the rest of my symptoms have resumed to normal or near normal.