Gervais: Wellbutrin

Gervais

Hello, I was on Wellbutrin 3oomg per day, psychiatrist changed it to 150mg, 1 per day.  I poured boiling water over the 300mg tablets to dissolve and destroy. After 24 hours, the tablets has not dissolved in the boiling water, how can my digestive system break it down if it does not even dissolve in boiling water?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  If I were you, I would not taper from 300 mg to 150 mg.  That is a 50% decrease, and this could make you very uncomfortable with withdrawal symptoms.  Are you on IR (immediate release), SR (sustained release), XL (extended release), or XR (extended release)?  Please read on for suggestions on how to taper.  

First of all, can you please give us specific information about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise list (no symptoms), only drug names, specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

Tapering is best done extremely slowly, and we taper by 10% of the current dose, so that the taper becomes exponentially smaller.

Why Taper by 10% of my Dosage  

I don't think you need to dissolve it in boiling water.  Our digestive systems digest food using stomach acids and enzymes.  Drugs are absorbed in the blood stream as they pass through the digestive tract - I don't believe they need to be digested.  Read the following post for instructions on how to prepare and measure a dose.  

Tips for Tapering Wellbutrin

Also, as we are recovering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. This is extremely important. 

Considerations About Stability Stop Jumping Around

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Please read through it, and mull it over, and we will take it from there. Let us know if you have any questions. 

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• getofflex changed the title to Gervais: Wellbutrin

For Getofflex, not sure if I reply directly to Getofflex

1. 150 slow release wellbutrin(tapered off 2 weeks ago from 300)
  2. Epitec 50 mg x 2 per day
  3. 1 sleeping tablet stillnox at night
  4. Omega
  5. Vit c'
  6. Zinc
  7. Vit e
  8. Magnesium (capsules, tablets don't break down at all)
  9. Vit a
  10. B12
  11. B complex

I stopped taking dopaquel 50 mg at night as well, too much weight gain, shaking hands and biting inside cheek.

Getofflex, I am simply too scared of all the side effects of all of these things. The 300 mg Wellbutrin made me feel too anxious and very jittery and irritable. I have been on every antidepressent known since 2001. In all fairness, non of them make me feel better, at least Wellbutrin makes me feel more energetic and connected to life. I am seeing a councilling psychologist, 10 sessions approved, had 2 already. I have to try and help myself as well, not just pills. But there are periods during the day where I feel so desperate, suicide is top of mind always. Especially now with added stress of sick daughter with no med aid or employment.

• Moderator Emeritus

Previous post moved to your intro topic to keep your history all in one place.  Please post questions and discussion about your situation in this one thread, to avoid confusion an duplication of efforts.  Thank you.

I will confer with the other mods, and one of us will get back to you to advise you.  

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

On 5/15/2021 at 7:57 AM, Gervais said:

For Getofflex, not sure if I reply directly to Getofflex

1. 150 slow release wellbutrin(tapered off 2 weeks ago from 300)
  2. Epitec 50 mg x 2 per day
  3. 1 sleeping tablet stillnox at night
  4. Omega
  5. Vit c'
  6. Zinc
  7. Vit e
  8. Magnesium (capsules, tablets don't break down at all)
  9. Vit a
  10. B12
  11. B complex
  12. Calcium
  13. Calciferol 1 per month
  14. Boniva 1 permonth
  15. L Lysine 1 per day
  16. Selenium 1 per day
  17. Coq 10 1 per da

With regards to dopaquel and Wellbutrin stop taking, the black box warning with wellbutrin scares me to death

Dopaquel was given becais I sleep so bad, but it has always been a problem since a child, I just do not sleep well. Pls advise, what is the cheapest sleeping tavlet I can get, stillnox, wellbutrin, boniva costs me over  R10000 pm as med aids don't pay

I stopped taking dopaquel 50 mg at night as well, too much weight gain, shaking hands and biting inside cheek.

Getofflex, I am simply too scared of all the side effects of all of these things. The 300 mg Wellbutrin made me feel too anxious and very jittery and irritable. I have been on every antidepressent known since 2001. In all fairness, non of them make me feel better, at least Wellbutrin makes me feel more energetic and connected to life. I am seeing a councilling psychologist, 10 sessions approved, had 2 already. I have to try and help myself as well, not just pills. But there are periods during the day where I feel so desperate, suicide is top of mind always. Especially now with added stress of sick daughter with no med aid or employment.

• Administrator

Welcome, @Gervais

On 5/14/2021 at 12:39 AM, Gervais said:

Hello, I was on Wellbutrin 3oomg per day, psychiatrist changed it to 150mg, 1 per day.  I poured boiling water over the 300mg tablets to dissolve and destroy. After 24 hours, the tablets has not dissolved in the boiling water, how can my digestive system break it down if it does not even dissolve in boiling water?

The extended-release Wellbutrin is held together by a glue. It does not dissolve well, that's how it stays slow-release.

Why were you trying to destroy these tablets?

This is a site for tapering drugs. Which drugs do you want to go off?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I understand now why it would not dissolve. The psychiatrist on my request tapered down from 300 to 150. There were quite a few 300 left, so I wanted to dispose of it as  clicks said they do not do this any longer. The 300 made me too jittery and over exited as I tapered off dopaquel 50 mg -0 as well. My reasons are I am very concerned as Wellbutrin comes with black box warning, I am 64 and going for therapy as well. Cannot just rely on pills anymore.

I am on Wellbutrin 150  and Epitec 50 , 1 am and 1 pm

Are these 2 drugs enough to help with bipolar

I was diagnosed late 90's, rapid cycling

Before just on these 2, I had over the years many combinations, every conceivable antidepressant, anti convulsant, antipsychotics

I have retired 18 months ago and although lifestyle has changed, there is more time to "feel" and also no schedule of work and expectations, stress (work related0

I am at a point where I feel nothing is actually helping, I just don't know how I should "feel', what is normal? what is relaxed"

I remain hypervigilant, very distracted, super sensitive.

The psychiatrist did recommend I take a low dosage of Prozac with the Wellbutrin, what are your feelings on this

I tapered of dopaquel which she only added as I sleep badly, but that hasn't changed, so I tapered off that too

I am soooo scared it is damaging my liver, kidneys.

Everything now worries my about medication for bipolar

I bottle my true feelings up, but here I can say, I feel lost, scared and hopeless

• Moderator Emeritus

Previous post moved to your intro topic to keep your history all in one place.  Please post questions and discussion about your situation in this one thread, to avoid confusion and duplication of efforts.  Thank you.