Tiffgothartist High dose amitriptyline journey

Tiffgothartist

Tiffgothartist

Hello all, I'm new. And I'm scared. You have all been a tremendous source of strength. I'm trying to figure out how to fix my signature so sorry if I'm putting it all out here. 

I have been on 150mg amitriptyline for 6 years and tapered off of it in 8 months. During that time, I didn't realize I was going through withdrawal symptoms. Now, I realize I had, and three days after I went off, the severe depression/anxiety set in. I was reinstated at 25 mg by psychiatrist's orders for a week, and then another 25 mg this week. I realize I had broken a cardinal rule of antidepressant withdrawal, which is not to reinstate at a high dose. But I was told to do this, which of course makes it par for the course. 

On 25 mg, I began to feel better for 3 days, and then the depression/anxiety began to creep in again towards the end of the week. Then, I reinstated at 50 the next week per psychiatrist orders, and I'm now stable but with worsening insomnia and floating lights in darkness, a sign of withdrawal. I have made a big mistake, of course. I'm so fearful about the week ahead. 

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm so scared about my future, especially because of what I've just done. If you were me, what would you do? 

Thank you all so much. You are my only source of information right now as I find a new psychiatrist. 

2014 - 2020 150mg Amitriptyline daily

2020 - 2021 8 month taper to zero

Extreme withdrawal symptoms

May 2021 attempt to reinstate up to 75 mgs

Several drug trials and hospitalizations later...

September 2021 Cymbalta

September 2021 Seroquel

September 2021 lithium 

• Altostrata changed the title to Tiffgothartist High dose amitriptyline journey
  • Administrator
Altostrata

Welcome, @Tiffgothartist

Good news, probably 25mg is enough for you. The insomnia is probably caused by too high a dose of amitriptyline. It is not a desirable effect.

If you've been taking 50mg less than a week, you can back right down.

Be patient. If you've had a rough withdrawal, it can take some time for your nervous system to settle down even with the help of the 25mg reinstatement. See 

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Tiffgothartist

Thank you so much Altostrata. You are so helpful and wise. I will see what I can do about the situation. 

September 2021 Cymbalta

September 2021 Seroquel

September 2021 lithium 

• 4 months later...
Tiffgothartist

I can't do this anymore. The pain is too great. Being alive hurts too much. 

The depression and the anxiety is too great, I can't take it anymore.

Does it get better? Can I be saved? Please, anyone. I can't do this anymore. 

September 2021 Cymbalta

September 2021 Seroquel

September 2021 lithium 

UnfoldingSky

Hello, I read your brief intro, I am sorry you are feeling like this.  What is going on?  Withdrawal does get better...I messed around with so so many pills and I have recovered a ton.  I even went cold turkey off one.  Please keep posting, let us know what's going on, with pills and otherwise.  There is hope if you hang on. 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• Administrator
Altostrata

@Tiffgothartist it looked like you were doing better in May, what happened? Do you have new symptoms?

Hang in there, these adverse drug effects can be awful but they can go away.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Tiffgothartist

I'm doing about the same as I have done in May. Severe depression and anxiety after going off amitriptyline. I've been hospitalized many times and put on new medications, lithium, Seroquel, and Cymbalta currently.  I'm also currently getting ECT treatment done. It's not that I think these new medications are bad, they just aren't addressing what's wrong with me. Few psychiatrists seem to understand withdrawal. 

September 2021 Cymbalta

September 2021 Seroquel

September 2021 lithium 

• Administrator
Altostrata

You've tried a number of drugs and ECT since you posted in May?

It's very possible additional drug trials added to the problems of withdrawal syndrome. ECT is not effective for withdrawal syndrome.

How did you go off amitriptyline? If you have been having waves of anxiety since, that is a hallmark of withdrawal syndrome. If your "depression" is emotional anesthesia, that is a common effect of the drugs that can persist after you go off them. We generally see this slowly resolves over months, sometimes years. Additional drugs often make it worse.

It's very hard to find a doctor or psychiatrist who can even recognize withdrawal syndrome, much less treat it. That's why this site exists.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

Tiffgothartist

Oh no, oh no...ECT isn't effective? Jesus ******* christ. Okay. I went off amitriptyline over the course of 8 months. I now have severe depression and anxiety. I suppose my first goal should be to find a psychiatrist who recognizes withdrawal syndrome. 

September 2021 Cymbalta

September 2021 Seroquel

September 2021 lithium 

• Administrator
Altostrata

Did you have withdrawal symptoms after you went off amitriptyline? For how long? What is your "depression" like?

Tiffgothartist

Yes, I did have withdrawal symptoms in the form of depression, anxiety, insomnia, nightmares, and flashing light disturbances. Now I have severe depression and anxiety. I have trouble focusing, anhedonia, difficulty completing tasks, suicidal thinking. Basically ever since going off of amitriptyline, the depression and anxiety has been chronic.

September 2021 Cymbalta

September 2021 Seroquel

September 2021 lithium 

• Administrator
Altostrata

We have many people here with similar symptom patterns. Some withdrawal symptoms are mistaken to be psychiatric, but they cannot be treated as psychiatric disorders, they arise from an upset nervous system.

How long did you have these more intense withdrawal symptoms? When did you last take amitriptyline? Are you taking any drugs now?

Please describe your current "depression" in more detail.

Please read questions from the staff carefully and answer completely so we may give you informed responses. To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

Tiffgothartist

I am still having very severe withdrawal symptoms of depression and anxiety. Interestingly enough I never got flu-like symptoms or brain zaps. In the beginning I had insomnia and nightmares which I don't get anymore. Whether or not that's from drugs I'm on or just the progression of withdrawal I can't say for certain. I am currently taking Cymbalta, Seroquel, and lithium. 

I last took amitriptyline a few weeks ago during my last hospitalization, in which I was reinstated on my original dose. I have since been taken off it again. Reinstating on it didn't seem to have any effect, why? My depression is pretty akin to clinical depression: trouble focusing, anhedonia, disinterest in previous activities. Months ago I had panic attacks that seem to have subsided. Right now my biggest challenge is crushing depression. 

September 2021 Cymbalta

September 2021 Seroquel

September 2021 lithium 

Hello @Tiffgothartist, I just went through 3 ECT sessions last week and they helped tremendously, I had unbearable withdrawal mental torment (which did not compare at all to my original condition) that made me extremely suicidal. The ECT has helped tremendously, I don't know if it's gonna last but at least I feel better now.

• February 2020LEXAPRO 15mg/April : lowered to 10mg/Mai : 7,5mg then 5mg/June 15 : lowered to 2,5mg --> major WD living hell)
  • June 19 : back on 5mg/June 23: back on 10mg, major WD gone after a few days /End ofJuly 2020 : feeling amazing
  • September 2020 Lower to 7,5mg --> Instantly anhedonic
  • December 2020 : Decides to up my dose because I really can't take the anhedonia anymore --> insomnia + vision disturbances + what I think was akathesia. From that failed updose remains a feeling of inner tension (mild aka ?) that I will often feel later on 
  • February Started the process of converting my solid dose to a liquid "homemade" dose --> figured out that for me the liquid was way more "powerful" than the solid 
  • March 4th :  3mg
  • May 26th : 108mL<-> 2,7mg --> symptoms : high heart rate (120 when just standing), dry mouth and eyes, difficulty sleeping, crying spells, anxiety (whereas anxiety and sadness are completely inexistent on 120mg, it's like there's some sort of passage where under 3mg, feelings come back full force with almost no "transition" from 0 to 100, it's like under 3mg, the zombie/suppression of feelings effect of the med is inefficient, like a threshold)
  • June 3rd : back on 125mL <-> 3,125mg, completely stable again a few days later, no suffering whatsoever, just the anhedonia
  • August 1st : hit with intense panic, cortisol, cannot eat. 

Tiffgothartist

I'm so happy for you Camille! I'm going to continue with the treatment since I signed up for 12 treatments. I figure I have nothing to lose. 

September 2021 Cymbalta

September 2021 Seroquel

September 2021 lithium 

I also take probiotics, they helped with many things (see theory of mental illness as a consequence of neuro-inflammation). I had many signs of gut dysbiosis that disappeared (cystic acne, inflammation of cornea, repetitive mycosis)

• February 2020LEXAPRO 15mg/April : lowered to 10mg/Mai : 7,5mg then 5mg/June 15 : lowered to 2,5mg --> major WD living hell)
  • June 19 : back on 5mg/June 23: back on 10mg, major WD gone after a few days /End ofJuly 2020 : feeling amazing
  • December 2020 : Decides to up my dose because I really can't take the anhedonia anymore --> insomnia + vision disturbances + what I think was akathesia. From that failed updose remains a feeling of inner tension (mild aka ?) that I will often feel later on 
  • February Started the process of converting my solid dose to a liquid "homemade" dose --> figured out that for me the liquid was way more "powerful" than the solid 
  • May 26th : 108mL<-> 2,7mg --> symptoms : high heart rate (120 when just standing), dry mouth and eyes, difficulty sleeping, crying spells, anxiety (whereas anxiety and sadness are completely inexistent on 120mg, it's like there's some sort of passage where under 3mg, feelings come back full force with almost no "transition" from 0 to 100, it's like under 3mg, the zombie/suppression of feelings effect of the med is inefficient, like a threshold)
  • June 3rd : back on 125mL <-> 3,125mg, completely stable again a few days later, no suffering whatsoever, just the anhedonia

• Administrator
Altostrata
8 hours ago, Tiffgothartist said:

My depression is pretty akin to clinical depression: trouble focusing, anhedonia, disinterest in previous activities.

"Clinical depression" is a very vague term. It is felt differently by every individual. Just about anyone can be diagnosed with it, including the proverbial ham sandwich.

8 hours ago, Tiffgothartist said:

I am currently taking Cymbalta, Seroquel, and lithium. 

You are taking 3 drugs that very well might cause "trouble focusing, anhedonia, disinterest in previous activities" as adverse effects. Seroquel and lithium are well known to be zombifying. The treatment you're getting for "depression" is very odd.

Your reinstatement of amitriptyline at full dose may not have worked because after going on and off psychiatric drugs for 7 years, your nervous system has become sensitized to the drugs and they don't "work" (but still may cause adverse effects, which is another way of not "working"). Same with a full dose of Cymbalta with a side of Seroquel and lithium. 

What we have seen is often very low-dose reinstatement (in your case, of amitriptyline) will reduce those symptoms that are due to withdrawal.

What drugs will not affect is whatever emotions you are generating as a reaction to your situation. For example, if you are experiencing drug-induced emotional anesthesia, which is weird enough as it is, and you become more and more frightened and alarmed about it, plus you are starting to realize there are no easy answers to your iatrogenic condition -- you might experience it as "crushing".

Please consider to what degree your feelings are a reaction to your drug-induced condition, and which are the baseline of the drug-induced condition.

Who knows what will "work". If you feel the ECT treatments are beneficial, please do continue and let us know how you're doing.

• Mentor
On 9/26/2021 at 6:59 PM, Tiffgothartist said:

put on new medications, lithium, Seroquel, and Cymbalta currently.  I'm also currently getting ECT treatment done. It's not that I think these new medications are bad, they just aren't addressing what's wrong with me.

Hi there,

North Jersey checking in with Pork Roll 🙂

That's probably true, new drugs never seem to be the answer to a too fast wd of another drug.

Whether they may be preventing you resolving or addressing what IS wrong, is another question, since they can cause the very issues that were nothing but the symptoms of the wd that you were trying to resolve.

I don't know what other diagnosis they attempted to label you with from the symptoms of the wd, but I do agree that seems to be an odd cocktail for supposed depression.

12 hours ago, Tiffgothartist said:

My depression is pretty akin to clinical depression: trouble focusing, anhedonia, disinterest in previous activities.

Those are also symptoms for everything from chronic inflammation, fatty liver, too many toxins in your diet and a dental infection.

PLEASE don't rely too heavily on the labels.

There only their to make you believe there's actually something wrong with you that only psych meds will fix.

12 hours ago, Tiffgothartist said:

I last took amitriptyline a few weeks ago during my last hospitalization, in which I was reinstated on my original dose. I have since been taken off it again. Reinstating on it didn't seem to have any effect, why?

You were most likely not on the correct dose long enough.

It can take a month or so to see real progress.

If you were only hospitalized for a short time it would not have been realistic to see results.

Doctors should realize those basic principles but sadly their goal, for legal purposes, is to make you stable enough to be released as fast as possible and not to do what's best for you.

Do you feel any different from any of the treatments yet?

Hope your feeling somewhat better soon.

Edited by Colonial

Starting ds 2 (12.5 CR'S) = 25 MG PAXIL CR 1/21/15: 1 Pill + 10mg liquid (2 weeks) 2/4: 1 Pill + 9mg Lq (3 weeks) 2/25: 1 Pill + 8 mg lq (1 week) 3/4: 1 Pill + 6 mg lq (2 weeks) 3/18/15 1 Pill + 4 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/1/15 1 Pill + 3 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/14/15 1 Pill + 2 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/29/15 1Pill + 1 mg lq (16 days) 5/15/15 1 12.5 mg Pill ONLY (9 days) 5/24/15 12 mgs liquid (8 days) 6/1/15 11mg lq (12 days) 6/13/15 10 mg.  12/3/15 Drop from 8mg to 7.6 (24 days to) 12/27/15 7.2mgs  8/4/16 6.8mgs,  11/1/16 6.4mgs, 2/5/17 6 mgs  4/3/17 5.6mgs, 4/24/17 5.2mg, 6/13/17 4.8mgs, 9/20/17 4.4mgS, 11/23/17 4 mgs, 1/1/18 3.6 mgs, 2/15/18 3.2 mgs. 4/13/18 2.8mgs, 5/11/18 2.4mgs, 6/10/18 2.0 mgs, 8/4/18 1.6mgs,  9/27/18 1.2mgs, 12/24/18 0.8mg, 3/24/19 0.64 mg,(syringe change issue date?) 4/22/19 0.60 mg, 5/24/19 0.60 mg, 7/7/19 0.52 mgs, 8/4/19 0.44mgs, 11/4/19 0.36mgs, 2/1/20 0.28mgs, 3/1/20 0.24mgs (crash April 6) Compound started 6/28/21: 0.24mgs, 8/29/21: 0.22mgs, 10/29/21: 0.20mgs

Original Wellbutrin Dose: 6 months from 9/14 to 3/2015, 300 XL 3/15/15: Half to 150 XL ( severe symptoms started on day 12) 4/16/15: 125mg   for 20 days to: 5/6/15:   100mg  for  15 days to: 5/21/15    75mg  for  10 days to: 6/1/15:  56.25mg      13 days to: 6/13/15: 37.25mg    7 days to: 6/20/15  28.12mg   14 days to: 7/4/15  18.75mg, 7 days to: 7/11/15; RAISE BACK TO: 28.12 to 8/14/15: 18.75mg  20 days to :9/3/15 : 12.5mg, 8/4/16 9mg 1/9/17: 8.5mg 2/8/17 8mg, 3/9/17: 7.6  4/9/17  7.2  5/27/17 6.4 6/24/17 5.8, 8/1/17 5.0, 8/29/17 4.2mgs, 10/2/17 3.5mgs, 12/28/17 2.5mgs, 2/27/18 1.7mgs,  4/19/18 0.8 mgs, LAST DOSE: 6/11/18:  3 YEARS, 2 MONTHS, 27 DAYS...

Tiffgothartist

This is all beyond frustrating, as I don't know who to believe. My main goal has been to try to find a psychiatrist who is familiar with withdrawal. I have already tried a low dose reinstatement which didn't resolve the symptoms of withdrawal at all. I also tried the original dose of the amitriptyline. apparently I wasn't on it for long enough? Now I'm on all these medications that are apparently making things worse? 

I'm so frustrated. Nobody who is treating me seems to know what is necessary.   

September 2021 Cymbalta

September 2021 Seroquel

September 2021 lithium 

• Administrator
Altostrata

Sorry to say, very few physicians of any type recognize withdrawal syndrome and even fewer know anything about treating it. That is why this site exists.

Have you discussed the possibility you have extended antidepressant withdrawal effects with your doctors? What did they say?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mentor

Hi, just checking in.

Have you had any of the ECT treatments you signed up for?

Hope your doing better

Starting ds 2 (12.5 CR'S) = 25 MG PAXIL CR 1/21/15: 1 Pill + 10mg liquid (2 weeks) 2/4: 1 Pill + 9mg Lq (3 weeks) 2/25: 1 Pill + 8 mg lq (1 week) 3/4: 1 Pill + 6 mg lq (2 weeks) 3/18/15 1 Pill + 4 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/1/15 1 Pill + 3 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/14/15 1 Pill + 2 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/29/15 1Pill + 1 mg lq (16 days) 5/15/15 1 12.5 mg Pill ONLY (9 days) 5/24/15 12 mgs liquid (8 days) 6/1/15 11mg lq (12 days) 6/13/15 10 mg.  12/3/15 Drop from 8mg to 7.6 (24 days to) 12/27/15 7.2mgs  8/4/16 6.8mgs,  11/1/16 6.4mgs, 2/5/17 6 mgs  4/3/17 5.6mgs, 4/24/17 5.2mg, 6/13/17 4.8mgs, 9/20/17 4.4mgS, 11/23/17 4 mgs, 1/1/18 3.6 mgs, 2/15/18 3.2 mgs. 4/13/18 2.8mgs, 5/11/18 2.4mgs, 6/10/18 2.0 mgs, 8/4/18 1.6mgs,  9/27/18 1.2mgs, 12/24/18 0.8mg, 3/24/19 0.64 mg,(syringe change issue date?) 4/22/19 0.60 mg, 5/24/19 0.60 mg, 7/7/19 0.52 mgs, 8/4/19 0.44mgs, 11/4/19 0.36mgs, 2/1/20 0.28mgs, 3/1/20 0.24mgs (crash April 6) Compound started 6/28/21: 0.24mgs, 8/29/21: 0.22mgs, 10/29/21: 0.20mgs

Original Wellbutrin Dose: 6 months from 9/14 to 3/2015, 300 XL 3/15/15: Half to 150 XL ( severe symptoms started on day 12) 4/16/15: 125mg   for 20 days to: 5/6/15:   100mg  for  15 days to: 5/21/15    75mg  for  10 days to: 6/1/15:  56.25mg      13 days to: 6/13/15: 37.25mg    7 days to: 6/20/15  28.12mg   14 days to: 7/4/15  18.75mg, 7 days to: 7/11/15; RAISE BACK TO: 28.12 to 8/14/15: 18.75mg  20 days to :9/3/15 : 12.5mg, 8/4/16 9mg 1/9/17: 8.5mg 2/8/17 8mg, 3/9/17: 7.6  4/9/17  7.2  5/27/17 6.4 6/24/17 5.8, 8/1/17 5.0, 8/29/17 4.2mgs, 10/2/17 3.5mgs, 12/28/17 2.5mgs, 2/27/18 1.7mgs,  4/19/18 0.8 mgs, LAST DOSE: 6/11/18:  3 YEARS, 2 MONTHS, 27 DAYS...

Tiffgothartist

Hello Colonial, I have had ECT treatments. I am doing better! I still deal with depression but not nearly as bad as I used to. My brain is definitely different after the ECT treatments. 

September 2021 Cymbalta

September 2021 Seroquel

September 2021 lithium 

Hello ! Are the meds you are taking (Cymbalta, Seroquel, lithium) helping you after the ECT ? I did ECT too, it helped me a lot with WD, but now they want to prescribe me a med and I am super scared.

Tiffgothartist

I honestly don't know if the meds I am on help me at all. They aren't hurting me, I know that. But I don't know exactly how much they are helping my mood, if at all. 

September 2021 Cymbalta

September 2021 Seroquel

September 2021 lithium 

Hey ! Can you explain me more in detail your experience with ECT, how many did you have, when did you start feeling better, when did you introduce the meds, did the effects of ECT last and any other observation you could make ? Thanks a lot for your help.

Tiffgothartist

My opinion towards ECT has changed. I began receiving it during my last hospitalization. I showed improvement of my mood while I had it initially (was receiving it twice a week). However, my mood began to decline again as it usually does. My mood does seem to go up and down in periods. It's my belief now that ECT has not really had an effect on me, just that it seemed that way coincidentally. 

September 2021 Cymbalta

September 2021 Seroquel

September 2021 lithium