Let's talk about Science (and Medicine)

annej

One of my favorite blogs is Science Based Medicine. This blog explores controversies between science and medicine and it would appear that there are a lot of controversies. One of them is the definition of the word "science". What is it?

Here's a selection I found interesting. What is Science?

Another highly interesting blog is Steven Novella's Neurologica. Dr. Novella is a neurologist who has a passion for uncovering myths and what he terms "logical fallacies" that are presented by very intelligent (and sometimes not so intelligent) experts in their fields as well as debunking certain aspects of Complementary Alternative Medicine (CAM).

My Intro
2000-Effexor and Klonopin
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
May 2011- Pristiq/Lexapro bridge/taper
June, 2011- K cut to 0.5 mg (doctor)
July 18, 2011 - Lexapro done
October 2011- K taper started
Jan, 2012- Off K, Remeron started -bad idea
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
May 2012- Reinstatement of K
Current Psych Meds: Klonopin 2 mg + Propanolol 15 mg and titrating up
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

• Moderator Emeritus

One of my favorite blogs is Science Based Medicine. This blog explores controversies between science and medicine and it would appear that there are a lot of controversies. One of them is the definition of the word "science". What is it?

Here's a selection I found interesting. What is Science?

Another highly interesting blog is Steven Novella's Neurologica. Dr. Novella is a neurologist who has a passion for uncovering myths and what he terms "logical fallacies" that are presented by very intelligent (and sometimes not so intelligent) experts in their fields as well as debunking certain aspects of Complementary Alternative Medicine (CAM).

Very nice.. I'll be reading the section entitled "Science, Evidence and Guidelines" and the info on CAM with much interest. I did not know different standards were used to evaluate the effectiveness of alternative medical treatments. As someone with fibro, I've been subjected to all manner of cures and treatments, some by people who sincerely believed in their product. Now I can see why! THANK YOU for this post!

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy