Bailey12345: Working Through PSSD Need Advice and Support

Bailey12345

Male age 34. I was experiencing high anxiety from Jan 2021 to Feb 2021. After speaking with my counselor and parents I decided to take 10 mg Lexapro starting in March 4th. My anxiety went down during the first 3 weeks. And I started to feel good. About week 4 I noticed a libido change. I got scared and went cold turkey on April 2nd. For the month of April I seemed fine maybe some headaches and trouble sleeping. Then May 2nd I noticed severe libido changes. I wasn't getting an erection at all. I also noticed the week of May 2nd I had severe insomnia, chest pains, shortness of breath, felt lethargic, tired, and very anxious. The week of May 9th through May 15 I felt better. I was able to masturbate and had normal orgasm. Erection was 90 to 95% hard. During that week I was forcing myself to go run. Also decided to take supplements such as 5-HTP and MACA during lunch. Then taking Valerian Root, GABA, and D3 at night. Then this week starting May 16 I felt bad again as in the week of May 2nd to May 8 but not as severe. This is my first time trying any antidepressants. I did not understand what I was getting into. First question is will the sexual side effects fade with time or have I caused permanent damage? Second question is this just some type of withdrawal process that I just need to get through? Again I was only on 10mg Lexapro for a month.  Its been 7 weeks out from stopping. Any help and advice would be very appreciated.

I was on Lexapro(Escitalopram) 10mg starting March 4th 2021 then stopped April 2 2021. I was also given 20 pills of clonazepam .5mg.

I apologize in advance to the specifics here.  I am nervous and dont know what to do.  Male age 34. I was experiencing high anxiety from Jan 2021 to Feb 2021. After speaking with my counselor and parents I decided to take 10 mg Lexapro starting in March 4th. My anxiety went down during the first 3 weeks. And I started to feel good. About week 4 I noticed a libido change. I got scared and went cold turkey on April 2nd. For the month of April I seemed fine maybe some headaches and trouble sleeping but I was use to that before. Then May 2nd I noticed severe libido changes. I wasn't getting an erection at all. I also noticed the week of May 2nd I had severe insomnia, chest pains, shortness of breath, felt lethargic, tired, and very anxious. The week of May 9th through May 15 I felt better. I was able to masturbate and had normal orgasm. Erection was 90 to 95% hard. During that week I was forcing myself to go run and exercise. Also decided to take supplements such as 5-HTP and MACA during lunch. Then taking Valerian Root, GABA, and D3 at night. Then this week starting May 16 I felt bad again as in the week of May 2nd to May 8th but not as severe.  I tried to masturbate again and I was flaccid but had an orgasm. This is my first time trying any antidepressants. I did not understand what I was getting into. First question is will the sexual side effects fade with time or have I caused permanent damage? Second question is this just some type of withdrawal process that I just need to get through? Any help, advice, and support would be very appreciated.

I was on Lexapro(Escitalopram) 10mg starting March 4th 2021 then stopped April 2 2021. I was also given 20 pills of clonazepam .5mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  I'm sorry you are experiencing these withdrawal difficulties.  The good news is, you were only on it for a month, so it may not take you as long to recover as many folks in here.  

First of all, can you please give us specific information about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise list (no symptoms), only drug names, specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Also, as we are recovering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. This is extremely important. 

Considerations About Stability Stop Jumping Around

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

PSSD

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

On 5/21/2021 at 1:35 PM, Bailey12345 said:

First question is will the sexual side effects fade with time or have I caused permanent damage?

The sexual side effects should fade with time, but you will have to be patient.  It can take a long time for these things to resolve themselves.  

On 5/21/2021 at 1:35 PM, Bailey12345 said:

Second question is this just some type of withdrawal process that I just need to get through?

Yes, it is a gradual process, and time is the best healer for withdrawal from psych meds.  

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Please read through it, and mull it over, and we will take it from there. In the meantime, take care of yourself, and take heart.  We in this forum have been through this, and we understand first hand the pain and discomfort you are going through.  Please know that the brain is amazing in it's healing abilities.  It takes time, but healing can and will happen. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

I was on Lexapro(Escitalopram) 10mg starting March 4th 2020 then stopped April 2 2020.

I was also given 20 pills of clonazepam  .5mg.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for the drug history.  Can you please add it to the signature box?  Just click on you name in the upper right corner of the screen.  Select account settings, then select signature and enter it in that box.  Thank you.  Keep us posted on how you are doing.  

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

• getofflex changed the title to Bailey12345: Working Through PSSD Need Advice and Support

Hi Bailey-- Welcome to SA. Reading through your posts the dates don't seem to add up. Several places show your drug use as happening last year while other dates and the way you talk about it make it seem like it was just last month. We really need to know which it is as they would be handled differently.

As an FYI, SA is considered a "family site". We have members from all over the world of different sensibilities, and moral values. We also have a good number of minors who are members. For this reason we want to keep the "graphic descriptions" to a tame as possible. I know that the problems you are experiencing are very upsetting and hard to describe without details, but please try to keep your posts as "G" rated as possible.

Really appreciate your cooperation. 

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Sorry for the confusion. My drug use is as follows

I was on Lexapro(Escitalopram) 10mg starting March 4th 2021 then stopped April 2 2021. I was also given 20 pills of clonazepam .5mg

Thanks, that really helps. Now if you would please update your signature, that's the first thing the mods look at when a question comes up.

Getofflex gave you a lot of links to read through, all of which have great information. But I think this one is most appropriate right now: 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/23081-are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take/?tab=comments#comment-492494 

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

I was on Lexapro 10mg for 1 month from March 4th 2021 to April 2nd 2021.  I went cold turkey.  May 2nd 2021 is when all of my withdraw symptoms really manifested.

My question today 5/26/2021 is: 

Is it normal to still have constipation, nausea, and chills?

-  I eat healthy and I work out 4 to 5 days a week.  

-  Typically when I eat even healthy food I feel the need to throw up.  

-  I also noticed issues going "Number 2" in the bathroom.

-  And I have been experiencing intermittent times where I am very cold even with jackets and long sleeve clothes. 

• Altostrata changed the title to Bailey12345 Constipation, Nausea, and Chills
  • Administrator

Welcome, @Bailey12345

After you started Lexapro, how did it affect you? How often did you take clonazepam?

Thanks for your signature!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Clonazepam: I was only taking at night to help go to sleep.

Lexapro: I was taking in the morning.  After eating a small breakfast I would take the Lexapro. Taking that would make me nauseous to the point where I would gag and almost throw up.  It was about 45 minutes after taking would I feel normal meaning "not nauseous."

Again I have stopped taking the medications.  I just still feel nauseous after I eat. And constipated when going the bathroom.

• 3 weeks later...

I only took the Lexapro for 1 month. And I dont understand after quitting cold turkey that sexual problem still persist even after quitting 3 months ago.  My parents and counselor both think this is all in my head. And my Doctor said things like this werent suppose to happen. I am scared that this is permanent.  And I dont know what to do.  I saw online that Wellbutrin may help but I am scared to go to a psychiatrist.  Really need support and advice.

-Bailey

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Hello, @Bailey12345, how are you doing?

Did you always have a bad reaction to Lexapro, from the start?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Im doing better but still have some side effects from the medication.  The three months of me recovering I believe took an extreme toll on my body. I still have a persistent body ache feeling and general fatigue.  However the sexual issues seem to have resolved.  While on the medication I felt very fatigued as in I would sleep 10 hours at night and then sleep at work as well.  Also on the medication I didnt feel anything good or bad.  I was just numb to everything.  The mental issues that I suffer from have come back.  And Im not sure what to do.  Taking this medication, its effects on me, and the recovery have been very traumatic in itself.  

• Moderator Emeritus
21 hours ago, Bailey12345 said:

Im doing better but still have some side effects from the medication.

I'm glad to hear that you are doing better.  These drugs make significant changes to our nervous systems, and since they are extremely complex, it often takes months or even years for them to fully recover.  The good news is that they will recover eventually, as long as we take care of ourselves properly.  

21 hours ago, Bailey12345 said:

The mental issues that I suffer from have come back.

For me personally, I have had to find alternative ways to deal with the emotional and mental issues I had as I got off the drugs.  I was put on Lexapro for anxiety and depression due to past trauma and abuse.  I've spent a lot of time in the past, and still do in the present, working on these issues in individual and group therapy, and other modalities.  Hopefully, you can find non drug ways to deal with these issues as well. 

• 4 weeks later...

Good news:

Withdrawal symptoms have subsided a lot.  Physical issues like pain while going the bathroom, being really cold or really hot for no reason, and body aches have all gone away.  Pain in my chest has subsided some.  I have had most sexual function return.  I would say 95 to 100% return in sexual function.  I tend to have more good days than bad days.  For two weeks I was getting good sleep around 6 hours non-stop for most of the week.  

Bad news:

Last weekend I believe I hit another bad wave for some reason.  It was almost a complete return of all symptoms. Body wasn't aching just felt sluggish.  Lots of brain fog.  I felt tired and sleepy even though I had slept a good amount.  Chest pain returned in full force.  Sexual issues returned some.  And the fact that these symptoms returned has put me in a depressive state.  However, I feel like I am recovering from it faster. 

Future plans:

Next month I plan on getting full physical and full blood work, hormones, vitamin levels, thyroid checked out.  I will also being doing a sleep study.  As well as any other test that can be run.  In the past 5 months I have not been taking any supplements or pills (prescription and/or OTC).  I have also been working out 2 to 3 times per week.  Also eating healthy most days of the week if not every single day.  The only things I have put in my body the past five months is twice I have had to take Aleve  PM to help with headaches at night when trying to sleep.  I also drank 2 beers one weekend in July.  So for the most part been staying as clean as possible.

• Moderator Emeritus

Previous post moved to your intro topic to keep your history all in one place.  Please post questions and discussion about your situation in this one thread, to avoid confusion and duplication of efforts.  Thank you.  

• Moderator Emeritus
18 minutes ago, Bailey12345 said:

Last weekend I believe I hit another bad wave for some reason.

Waves can hit us for any number of reason, because our nervous system tend to be very sensitive.  They can be brought on by weather changes, change in seasons, certain food (if we are sensitive to certain foods), exercise, stress, change in routine, etc. The wave will subside. 

I'm really glad to hear about your improvements!  I hope the medical tests all come out negative.  Please keep us posted.  Take care, and good luck! 

Edited by getofflex

• 2 months later...

I wanted to give an update as to where I am at.

My blood test all came back in normal levels. This includes hormones, vitamins etc.  I have seen improvement overall by staying on a good diet plan, working out, and sleep routine.  I have also added supplements.  I take a vitamin pack from GNC call energy and metabolism in the morning.  At night I have been taking a ZMA, vitamin D, and potassium (I tend to cramp up easily in my legs from working out).  I have also started drinking probiotic drinks twice a day.  

I would say overall I am floating around 85 to 90% recovered from full sexual dysfunction.   And everything seems to be slowly progressing for the better.  Comparing stories from other I clearly did not have full PSSD symptoms.  One area that has greatly improved is my sleep.  I have been getting for the past 3 weeks 6 to 8 hours of deep sleep each night.  And most nights I am sleeping through the entire night. After the past month I have come to the conclusion that what I was experience was some type of extended withdrawal from taking lexapro. 

I have yet to take my sleep test yet but plan to the week of Thanksgiving.  After that I may try to get an SIBO test.  This deals with bacteria growth in the gut.  From other forums some people say this may be a culprit causing some of the withdrawal symptoms from taking antidepressant pills.  The reason I may try to get this test done is the fact before getting on Lexapro I was getting sinus infections and strep throat often for two years.  At one point I was on antibiotics every other month.  Around this time I started experiencing sleep issues, anxiety, and depression. This in turn led me to counseling and then taking antidepressants.  

I just wanted to write this to let others know there is hope in healing from antidepressants.  Also to share that there may be other reasons as to why you are experiencing the issues that you may have.