theresadr: Need Support Group--Coming Off from Sertraline after 10 yrs

theresadr

Hi guys,

I've been taking 100mg of sertraline for the past 10 years. And It really helped me with my depression  symptoms and managing difficult situations in my life.

But now I've decide to com off from the drug slowly. However, I am afraid of the withdrawal symptoms. Looking for people out there who can help me go through this journey and anyone who has advise for me.

I would be grateful for anyone who can help. Thank you! 🙏🏻

Edited by Gridley
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, theresadr.  The purpose of this site to help members taper psychiatric drugs such as Sertraline and help them deal with withdrawal.  We're happy to help you with your taper. You are wise to taper off slowly, and it's great that you found your way here before you started your taper.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

A similar taper we also recommend is the Brassmonkey slide taper, which uses small weekly reductions combined with a 2-week hold.  It is gentler on the system.  I used it with very good results during my recent Lexapro taper.  Here's some information about this taper.

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

This link is specifically about tapering Sertraline, including how to get the non-standard doses you'll need for your taper.  There are several methods to get your doses.  Prescription liquid is accurate and easy, but I don't know if it's available in the Philippines.  Other methods include weighing with a digital scale, such as the Gemini-20 scale available on Amazon, making your own liquid from tablets, and using a compounding pharmacy.  These are all discussed in the link:

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Gridley changed the title to theresadr: Need Support Group--Coming Off from Sertraline after 10 yrs
19 hours ago, Gridley said:

Welcome to SA, theresadr.  The purpose of this site to help members taper psychiatric drugs such as Sertraline and help them deal with withdrawal.  We're happy to help you with your taper. You are wise to taper off slowly, and it's great that you found your way here before you started your taper.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks.

A similar taper we also recommend is the Brassmonkey slide taper, which uses small weekly reductions combined with a 2-week hold.  It is gentler on the system.  I used it with very good results during my recent Lexapro taper.  Here's some information about this taper.

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

This link is specifically about tapering Sertraline, including how to get the non-standard doses you'll need for your taper.  There are several methods to get your doses.  Prescription liquid is accurate and easy, but I don't know if it's available in the Philippines.  Other methods include weighing with a digital scale, such as the Gemini-20 scale available on Amazon, making your own liquid from tablets, and using a compounding pharmacy.  These are all discussed in the link:

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Introduction- 10 yrs sertraline. Started with 50mg and upped my dose to 100mg 6 yrs ago during a very challenging time in my life.

Tank you Gridley for the response and also advise. I started 50% reduction 2 days ago and felt agitation and a bit of anxiety. Had to reinstate some and now I am taking 75 mg instead of the usual 100mg. I also took ur advise to add supplements like magnesium and omega fatty acid. I don't think we have a liquid form here in the Philippines but I will consider buying the digital scale you mentioned.

I tried reaching out to my psychiatrist but its very hard to get a detailed advise from her. She just said its okay to start with 20%. And since I dont have a means to measure yet, I reduced to 25mg instead. I am worried because I live alone and I don't have family members nearby to act as my support group. Sometimes I think maybe its not a good time to taper off from my meds. But then  I go back to thinking that if not now, when?

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, theresadr said:

tried reaching out to my psychiatrist but its very hard to get a detailed advise from her. She just said its okay to start with 20%. And since I dont have a means to measure yet, I reduced to 25mg instead.

The vast majority of psychiatrists know nothing about safe tapering or withdrawal.  That's why this site exists.

I would really aim for a 10% of current dose every four weeks taper.  A 20% or 25% reduction is puts you at risk of withdrawal, which you want to avoid.  This link from my first post to you provides the reasons why a smaller taper is important.

I wouldn't taper any further until you have an accurate way to measure your taper doses.  It's very important that your doses be consistent and accurate to provide the stability your system needs.   

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hello Gridley, thank you again for your advise. Would u recommend going back to my original dose of 100 mg and only begin taper once I have a means to measure?