How2FindJoy: Paxil Withdrawal after 27 Years - I lost my life and friends and unable to work

How2FindJoy

I came off of Paxil (last does was Oct. 2020). I was on it for 27 years and no psychiatrist ever thought to take me off of it. They just kept increasing the dose each time a major trauma happened in my life. I was ignorant and had no idea what this drug was doing the my mind and nervous system. I was on 40 Mg when I started to tritrate. The psychiatrist I was then seeing, said to cut the pills in half every two weeks and I would have no problem. The nightmare started around 7.5 mg. After I finished the last does, I stopped sleeping. I go for up to 11 nights (so far) without sleeping. I have been in a psych hospital 5 times where I was made to take more drugs or they wouldn't let me out. I have never been in a psych hospital before this. Those other drugs did not work (Remeron, Elavil, Olanzapine, Tradazaone, Benedryl, Melatonin, Seroquel, etc). They made me extremely anxious. After Paxil all drugs seem to have the opposite effect. I have seem numerous uncaring dismissive psychiatrists over the last 10 months. I was put on every benzo and they did not work. I took Xanax in the last 3 months and unintentionally od'd on it. I could not sleep and kept taking more. It made me so anxious and turned me into an emotional freak. I had to go into detox to get off of it. But, it was only 8 days, and they gave me phenobarbital which is still in my system. So many drugs in 10 months.

Today, I have regressed into a child. I have lost my motivation for life. I isolate and am agoraphobic now. I am embarrassed. My friends all abandoned me which makes sense since I am a wreck and they have their own lives. I have severe akathesia. My body vibrates, and then I sweat, I take to myself, very suicidal. I don't want to take any more drugs, but not sure how long I can take this torture. I am miserable each minute of each day and so sleep deprived. I have lost all joy and envious of all people. I live in a pity party and very self obsessed. All I think about is me and my misery. How could this have happened, and yet it did. And now everything I have tried can not get me back to stability. I feel hopeless and helpless. Therapists say I am too unstable (which I am), psychiatrists say they are at a loss and don't know how to help or they keep prescribing...and they all have a differing opinions (not one is on the same page and I have seen 8 psychiatrists in 10 months).

I am writing this, just to vent. It stopped me from crying and panicking for 10 minutes. I need support. I need people who understand the nightmare and torture I am experiencing. I live in a world of 100% negativity. Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Gridley

1997- 20: Paxil 10 mg + .25-.5-1mg Xanax(on and off), 2012 upped to Paxil 15 mg, 2015: upped Paxil 20 mg, 2016: upped Paxil 30 mg + klonopin, 2016: upped again Paxil 40 mg, klonopin, 2018: added Lamictol (had bad reaction went off), 2020: per psychiatrist came off Paxil  in 7 months,  polydrugged on Trazedone + Valium + Benedryl, olanzapine, Ketamine, remeron, elavil, seroquel, ativan, xanex 

Gabapentin, phenobarbital, Dayviggo, Cogentin, Morphine, Trazadone (once again), Temazpam - HAD PARADOXICAL REACTIONS TO ALL THE DRUGS AFTER INITIAL COLD TURKEY. NO SUPPLEMENTS WORK EITHER. I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING.

• Gridley changed the title to HOW2FINDJOY: Paxil Withdrawal after 27 Years - I lost my life and friends and unable to work
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, HOW2FINDJOY.  We are a site for helping members to taper psychiatric drugs and to deal with withdrawal.  You are in the latter category.

Let me explain as best I can what has happened to you and to assure you that you will heal.  The vast majority of psychiatrists have no idea of safe tapering to get their patients off the drugs they prescribed for them. They also do not believe in the existence of severe withdrawal from antidepressants.  This is what they learn from the pharmaceutical  companies, which have little incentive to publicize the toxicity of the drugs they profit so handsomely from.  What psychiatrists typically do, as they did with you, is to misdiagnose withdrawal and throw more and more drugs at their patients, compounding the problem and then compounding the compounding.  It is no wonder the many psychiatrists you've seen are at a loss.  They do not see the elephant in the room--withdrawal--because they've been taught to believe it doesn't exist.  

The symptoms you describe are typical of psychiatric drug withdrawal, and these symptoms appear regularly in the posts by members of this site. Your doctor tapered you off Paxil--on of the most difficult antidepressants to get off--far too fast, putting you at great risk of withdrawal, and that's what happened.  Insomnia is one of the common withdrawal symptoms.  Mine has improved with time.  

Your nervous is system is extremely sensitized and dysregulated, caused by the extremely fast Paxil taper and from all the other drugs that were thrown at you, and it is, again, little wonder, that all these drugs are having an opposite (or as it is called, paradoxical) effect.  Further psychiatric drugs will further exacerbate the problem.  Your system needs a rest so it can heal.  And it will heal.  It will take time, and we can't predict how much time.  But it is our experience on this site, after working with thousands of people damaged like you by these drugs, that the damage is not permanent.

The U.K. psychiatric authorities are a good bit ahead of their American counterparts, and they recently revised their guidelines to admit, for the first time, the severity and prevalence and psychiatric drug withdrawal.  Do not expect your psychiatrists to agree with or even be aware of these guidelines, which contradict the American guidelines that withdrawal, if experienced, is brief and mild.

UK's NICE health guidelines now caution about severe and ...

The amendments are in line with a position statement released by the Royal College of Psychiatrists (RCPsych) in May 2019.  Here's an article on why they wrote the statement. 

You may find this thread helpful, from the Journals section:

You may also want to get a copy of this book. Robert Whitaker's writings come highly recommended here: 

Here is the book trailer video for Whitaker's book: 

Before you meet with any future doctors, you may want to go through this thread:

So that you have a better understanding of what you're experiencing here is some information on withdrawal and the healing process.

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

If you're up to it--To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  If you've forgotten some drugs or doses, just do the best you can.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 1 month later...

Paxil protracted withdrawal (need support)

I came off Paxil in seven months. Based on the psychiatrists recommendation after being on it for 27 years. I started out on 10 mg then quickly went to 15 mg for about 17 years, then I had what I thought to be a breakdown and the psychiatrist upped it to 20 mg. Then I had a stroke about 6 1/2 years ago and I was put on 30 mg because he said I would be too depressed after the stroke. And then I had another crisis about four years ago and he upped it to 40 mg. About 20 months ago it stopped working. My chest was tight I was crying all the time and the Psychiatrist said I could come off of it no problem just cut the pills in half. After coming off of Paxil life disintegrated completely. I stopped sleeping immediately. I’ve been crying every day for almost 12 months. It’s not just crying and screaming. I’m so full of fear and panic. I vibrate. I don’t sleep at all. I feel like there’s somebody else in my brain controlling me. I’m stuck in a gear that can’t be shifted and it’s very childlike. I feel like I’ll never come back to me. I’ve been hospitalized five times since coming off of Paxil. This is the first time ever. They polydrug me. They gave me two other antidepressants. I tried 3 ketamine sessions which almost killed me, I was put on every benzo because I could not sleep,  I was given antipsychotics and mood stabilizers. No drugs after Paxil worked and turns out I appear to be drug resistant. I have severe akathisia. I definitely have protracted withdrawal symptoms. I am sorry I don’t have my signature complete. I’ve been on so many drugs for so long that it is completely overwhelming to do it. Because I suffer from complete overwhelm with every little thing after coming off of stupid drug.  I fear I’m never going to be normal again. I’ve been off of all drugs for three months. Off of Paxil for 11 months.Not sure if all the poly drugging affected the paxil withdrawal. All I know is I’m miserable and I just don’t want to be here. I can’t find the old me. She doesn’t exist and I fear that I’m brain damaged. I also cannot be alone. I have complete separation anxiety and fear when no one‘s around. I didn’t used to be like this. I basically agoraphobic. I don’t want people to look at me or see me. I’ve lost so much weight and my hair is falling out. I’ve aged so much. I don’t even feel like a human being. I’m not a human being. I just wanna know if there’s any hope. I’m not even sure how to post on this site. I just am trying to figure out how to get some answers here. Thank you.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

1997- 20: Paxil 10 mg + .25-.5-1mg Xanax(on and off), 2012 upped to Paxil 15 mg, 2015: upped Paxil 20 mg, 2016: upped Paxil 30 mg + klonopin, 2016: upped again Paxil 40 mg, klonopin, 2018: added Lamictol (had bad reaction went off), 2020: per psychiatrist came off Paxil  in 7 months,  polydrugged on Trazedone + Valium + Benedryl, olanzapine, Ketamine, remeron, elavil, seroquel, ativan, xanex 

Gabapentin, phenobarbital, Dayviggo, Cogentin, Morphine, Trazadone (once again), Temazpam - HAD PARADOXICAL REACTIONS TO ALL THE DRUGS AFTER INITIAL COLD TURKEY. NO SUPPLEMENTS WORK EITHER. I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING.

Hello How2findjoy,

Welcome to this support site. I am sorry to read how you are suffering from withdrawal from Paxil.

Before we can answer your questions, please give us more information first. I understand from your post this is difficult for you, but we really need your drug history. Especially over the last 2 years as much as possible in detail

Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Please understand that Paxil is one of the most difficult SSRI's to stop. You stopped very fast without real tapering. Lots of us have made such mistakes, since we did not knew how to taper. And most doctors don't know either and advice us wrong. So do not feel guilty about it. You are not guilty!

And the good news is: You will heal!     But it takes time and discipline!

1993    Anafranil (Clomipramine) for a few months. Later in 1993 Paxil for a few months 1993- 2006      No medication

2006   Effexor, Cymbalta, some Benzo’s. All for short periods. Later in 2006 Lexapro (escitalopram) 10 mg and shortly after Wellbutrin XR 150mg, against side effects Lexapro 

Since 2006 until end of 2015: Several times on and off Lexapro and Wellbutrin and several slight dosage changes. Mostly taken dosages: 5mg Lexapro and 150mg Wellbutrin

2016  Dosage change Lexapro from 5mg to 2,5 mg. Wellbutrin stayed om 150mg

November 2016 – April 2017 Down from 2,5mg to 0,6mg Lexapro (in steps) without much problems. Wellbutrin down from 150mg to 66mg. Also without much problems.

April 2017 – March 2019       Lexapro 0,6 mg        April 2017 - August 2018       Wellbutrin in small steps down from 66mg in to 37,5 mg . Quite heavy WD after each step.

March 2019 – May 2019 Lexapro down from 0,6 to 0,3mg then Prozac to 0,6 mg switch because severe discontinuation effects (may also have been from Wellbutrin..)    

Wellbutrin down from 37,5mg to 35,3mg 

October 2019        Seroquel 12,5 mg for 4 weeks because of extreme sleeping problems, then weaning off in 2 weeks       Prozac up dosage to 1,2 mg

March 2020     Wellbutrin in 2 steps down from 35,3mg to 33,3mg   Extreme withdrawal effects during 8 months. Stopped tapering Wellbutrin  until total off Prozac. 

February 2020 – November 2020   Prozac down in steps from 1,2mg to 0,57mg. 

Jan 2021  Prozac down to:  0,55> 0,53>0,51mg,   Feb 0,47mg ,  Mar 0,42mg,   Apr 0,37, longer hold because of WD symptoms July 0,36 and hold again, Sept 19 0,35, Sept 26 0,34mg, Oct 3 0,33mg  Long hold of 172 days until March 2022

January 20, 2022:  Wellbutrin from 33,3 to 32,3mg

March 22, 2022 Prozac down from 0,33mg to: 0,30mg, Apr 0,29, May 0,28, 0,27, June 0,26, 0,25, July 0,24, 0,23, 0,22, 0,21, Aug 0,20, 0,19 Sep 0,18, Oct 0,17. 0,16, 0,15, Nov 0,14  Jan 2023 0,13, 0,12, 0,11  Feb 0,10, 0,09 Mar 0,08 ,  June 0,07 , July 0,06,  0,05, Aug 0,04, 0,03, Sept 0,026, 0,024 Nov 0,022, 0,019, 0,016, 0,013 Dec 0,012, 0,011, 0,010, 0,009   Jan 2024 0,008, 0,007,  0,006,  0,005, 0,004, 0,003, 0,002, 0,001, Feb  0,0007.  0,0005,   0,0003, 0,0001,  

Feb 23, 2024:  0,00000

Wellbutrin resume tapering: Apr 2024 31,6mg, 30,8, 30

Supplements: Fish Oil (3000mg), Magnesium 100 mg, 2 drops of Lavender Oil, only when feeling extreme anxiety. 50mg of L-Theanine only when severe discontinuation effects caused by Wellbutrin

Please note this is NOT a medical advice. Discuss all your medical issues with a doctor who understands psychical drugs and really knows how to withdraw from them. I wish that you will find one.

• 3 months later...

Paxil Benzo polydrugged and kindled: having a difficult time

I am having a hard time. I was cold turkey'd off of paxil and benzos. 27 years on them. Polydrugged and kindled after. got desperate after 5 months of no drugs and was tried 5 additional drugs. Now 3 weeks off. I have not sleep in 15 months. The insomnia is getting so bad. Been weeks as of today without sleep. I have a numb head, adhedonia, DP/DR, agorophobia, vibrating, pacing....an overall loss of self. I am not me. I am not sure if this is permanent damage. I am 58 yrs old with so much trauma. I feel like i need to die cause how can such a damaged human ever heal at this age after being on these drugs for so long. I am so scared. I am afraid to die. I have always lived in fear. It started in childhood. I can do nothing during the days. I look at the clock and beg for mercy. I am incapacitated. I live alone. I am helpless and hopeless. I am overstimulated and overwhelmed by everything. I cry every day. My hair is almost gone. My teeth are destroyed. I cracked a molar and had to have it removed, I have lost 70 pounds. I am getting worse instead of better. Is there any hope?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

• ChessieCat changed the title to How2FindJoy: Paxil Withdrawal after 27 Years - I lost my life and friends and unable to work
  • 2 months later...

@How2FindJoy

checking in. Let me know how you are. Sounds like you’re in bad acute stage from your last post. Is there hope? Yes. As someone else mentioned on here age doesn’t mean you won’t heal. Honestly it seems completely random. Some people are a deaths door before they get better. I’m sorry your scared. Fear and lack of identity are horrible. I will keep you in my prayers.

Current: Bupropion 450mg, Neurontin 800mg, Klonopin 0.5mg

History:

July 2020: started Cogentin 1mg, Lamictal 50mg, Zoloft 150mg, Zyprexa 5mg (+5mg as needed), Klonopin 0.5mg

November 2020: stopped all meds cold-turkey

February 2021: started Latuda 60mg, Lithium 300mg, Melatonin 5mg, Protonix 40mg, Topamax 25mg

2 weeks later: stopped Topamax, increased Lithium 900mg, started Klonopin 1mg, Lexapro 20mg, Neurontin 400mg

April 2021: started Bupropion 150mg, Revia ?mg

May 2021: stopped ReviaProtonixLexaproincreased Neurontin 800mg, started Celexa 10mg

August 2021: decreased Celexa 5mg (stopped Celexa 2 weeks later), increased Bupropion 300mg

September 2021: increased Latuda 80mg

October 2021: decreased Lithium 600mg for 4 daysLithium 300mg for 4 daysstopped LithiumLatuda

increased Bupropion 450mg, started Remeron 15mg, decreased Remeron 7.5mg, stopped Remeron

On 10/25/2021 at 6:20 PM, How2FindJoy said:

Paxil Benzo polydrugged and kindled: having a difficult time

I am having a hard time. I was cold turkey'd off of paxil and benzos. 27 years on them. Polydrugged and kindled after. got desperate after 5 months of no drugs and was tried 5 additional drugs. Now 3 weeks off. I have not sleep in 15 months. The insomnia is getting so bad. Been weeks as of today without sleep. I have a numb head, adhedonia, DP/DR, agorophobia, vibrating, pacing....an overall loss of self. I am not me. I am not sure if this is permanent damage. I am 58 yrs old with so much trauma. I feel like i need to die cause how can such a damaged human ever heal at this age after being on these drugs for so long. I am so scared. I am afraid to die. I have always lived in fear. It started in childhood. I can do nothing during the days. I look at the clock and beg for mercy. I am incapacitated. I live alone. I am helpless and hopeless. I am overstimulated and overwhelmed by everything. I cry every day. My hair is almost gone. My teeth are destroyed. I cracked a molar and had to have it removed, I have lost 70 pounds. I am getting worse instead of better. Is there any hope?

I am so sorry your doctor took you off Paxil fast, it’s his fault you feel like that. If you read this side you will see people recover from this but it takes time. How are you doing now? Has your sleep improved at all? I ll include you in my prayers…

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

Hi guys,

I'm looking for people's previous experiences on this barbaric drug.

Long story short I tapered too hard from 50mg per day to 0mg over a 3 month period.

Reinstated to 20mg because I couldn't function and every symptom went, apart from one. CONSTANT NAUSEA. 

I have felt sick everyday since July 2020 without a day's break.... the dizziness, vertigo, shaking went but not the above.

Do we think that this is still withdrawals or anxiety underneath the surface.

I don't feel anxious, but I'm always agitated/irritated in my own skin but not scared on doing things.....

The constant prevents me from enjoying anything now and my life is on hold.

I'm happy to start taking medication again but as i said i would really relish fellow people's opinions on whether this is withdrawals or anxiety....

Thanks in advance.

Mike

PAROXETINE 

20MG- 18-24

30MG- 24-28

50MG- 28-31