SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

JJagent: 2 Months on Trazodone, bad withdrawal

JJagent

Hello,

I have been on 50 to 100mg of Trazodone for 2 months for sleep onset insomnia. My doctor insisted I could stop easily, and this duration would not be an issue. I would like to stop it as the effectiveness is not always there. 

However, if I don't take my usual dose, within 48 hours my body is vibrating and painful. Taking a relatively small amount (12.5 mg) will resolve these symptoms for another 24 hours or so. I'm not sure if that's a good thing? 

Should I simply keep taking a small amount, or should I taper down from the full?

Thanks

2010-2020 Lexapro, 10 to 20mg to 0mg - Tapered through 2020 to February 2021 down to 2.5mg to 0mg.

March 2021 - Nervous breakdown from life stress. Reinstated Lexapro 5 to 10 to 15 to 20mg over 8 weeks.

April 2021 - Introduced 100 to 75mg Trazodone. Fluctuated dose, 100mg 20% of time, 75mg 70%, 50mg 10%. 1 to 2 nights a week at 0mg. No side effects.

May 25th - Cold turkey off Trazodone. Feeling bad internal vibrations. Reinstated 12.5 mg which helped for 2 days. Reinstated 25mg when withdrawals returned. 

May 30th - stabilized on 75mg Trazodone after 3 days. Still effective for sleep. Maintaining 20mg Lexapro. 

June 8th - minor withdrawal symptoms re-appearing (transient) in few-hour waves, unsure if anxiety

June 11th - more stable after widening time gap between 20mg Lexapro (12pm) & 75mg Trazodone (12am)

• Shep changed the title to JJagent: 2 Months on Trazodone, bad withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, JJagent. 

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA).

Is Trazodone the only drug you are taking? 

It only takes about a month to become dependent on an antidepressant, so you likely would benefit from a slow taper. Here is some information:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Since insomnia was the reason you went on this drug, have you resolved the problem that resulted in you not being able to sleep?

For non-drug ways of handling insomnia, please see:

Tips to help sleep: so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

You may find some more helpful information to handle your symptoms here: 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

We don't recommend a lot of supplements, as many members report their nervous systems are simply too fragile to handle them. However, magnesium and fish oil tend to be calming to the nervous system and many people report they do help. Please only add in one supplement at a time and at a small dose. For more, please see:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

A direct link to your signature is here:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature. Please note: 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 

As you provide more information, we can better guide you in setting up a slow and careful taper. Please continue to use this thread to ask question and document your taper. 

Thanks for the information. 

- I am also taking 20mg of Lexapro (on week 10)

- I have been taking 50 to 75 to 100mg of Trazodone for 7.5 weeks

- Stopped 4 nights ago cold turkey, felt intense withdrawals 24 hours later 

- Reinstated 25mg 3 nights ago when symptoms reappeared 

- 12.5mg 2 nights ago when symptoms reappeared 

- 25mg last night, symptoms reappeared this morning

At this point my plan is to resume 75mg, the average I was taking, and if that stabilizes me start to follow a slow taper. Does that seem appropriate? 

Has the experience this week been "kindling"? 

2010-2020 Lexapro, 10 to 20mg to 0mg - Tapered through 2020 to February 2021 down to 2.5mg to 0mg.

March 2021 - Nervous breakdown from life stress. Reinstated Lexapro 5 to 10 to 15 to 20mg over 8 weeks.

April 2021 - Introduced 100 to 75mg Trazodone. Fluctuated dose, 100mg 20% of time, 75mg 70%, 50mg 10%. 1 to 2 nights a week at 0mg. No side effects.

May 25th - Cold turkey off Trazodone. Feeling bad internal vibrations. Reinstated 12.5 mg which helped for 2 days. Reinstated 25mg when withdrawals returned. 

May 30th - stabilized on 75mg Trazodone after 3 days. Still effective for sleep. Maintaining 20mg Lexapro. 

June 8th - minor withdrawal symptoms re-appearing (transient) in few-hour waves, unsure if anxiety

June 11th - more stable after widening time gap between 20mg Lexapro (12pm) & 75mg Trazodone (12am)

• Administrator

Hello, JJagent. Did your insomnia start after you initiated Lexapro?

Kindlng occurs when you go off a drug, take it again, and have a strong activation reaction. It does not appear that you have this. You have withdrawal symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

9 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, JJagent. Did your insomnia start after you initiated Lexapro?

Kindlng occurs when you go off a drug, take it again, and have a strong activation reaction. It does not appear that you have this. You have withdrawal symptoms.

It began before the Lexapro. I have been on Lexapro for a long time but went off last year. I have been under immense stress with work and life, which started the insomnia. 

I am planning on updosing back to 75mg and holding there until stable, and the slowly tapering down. Does that seem like the best course? I don't think I am in a place to continue such a rapid taper as is.

I am amazed at the withdrawal effect from such a short course, and feel so ignorant having tried to just stop it. 

Thank you for your insight

• Administrator

25mg trazodone may be sufficient, did you give a try for at least 4 days?

Your prior withdrawal from Lexapro may have set you up for vulnerability to withdrawal this time around. It is also possible that you had withdrawal syndrome from going off last year and that's why you feel the stress so much.

Lastly, Lexapro is very far from a sleep drug, especially at a dose as high as 20mg, and in combination with trazodone, can cause activation during the day. See Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)

Please put ALL your drugs in this Interactions Checker and post the report or a link to it in this topic.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

18 hours ago, Altostrata said:

25mg trazodone may be sufficient, did you give a try for at least 4 days?

Your prior withdrawal from Lexapro may have set you up for vulnerability to withdrawal this time around. It is also possible that you had withdrawal syndrome from going off last year and that's why you feel the stress so much.

Lastly, Lexapro is very far from a sleep drug, especially at a dose as high as 20mg, and in combination with trazodone, can cause activation during the day. See Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)

Please put ALL your drugs in this Interactions Checker and post the report or a link to it in this topic.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

Thank you for your insights. I tried 12.5 to 25mg for 5 days, but withdrawal symptoms were bad. 

I reinstated 75mg last night and it worked better than it has ever for sleep. My withdrawal symptoms have not re-appeared yet, 16 hours later. 

My goal right now is to stabilize on the lowest possible dose. If I drop to 50 tonight to see the effect it has, do I risk any harm if it's in fact too low of a dose? 

My thinking is to try 50, if stable then to stay on that dose for some time, then slowly follow the tapering suggestions shared above. Thoughts? 

• Moderator Emeritus

@JJagentPlease add a signature. We really need this information in order to give you the best advice we can. Here is how to set up a signature: 

How to List Drug History in Signature

14 hours ago, JJagent said:

Thank you for your insights. I tried 12.5 to 25mg for 5 days, but withdrawal symptoms were bad. 

I reinstated 75mg last night and it worked better than it has ever for sleep. My withdrawal symptoms have not re-appeared yet, 16 hours later. 

My goal right now is to stabilize on the lowest possible dose. If I drop to 50 tonight to see the effect it has, do I risk any harm if it's in fact too low of a dose? 

My thinking is to try 50, if stable then to stay on that dose for some time, then slowly follow the tapering suggestions shared above. Thoughts? 

Please note it takes 4 days for your nervous system to register a change in dose and it can take several weeks for your body to fully adjust to that change. 

Did 75 mg make you feel hungover? If not, you may want to stay at the dose. But without knowing more about the timeline of drug changes, it's hard to advise.

In the past 7.5 weeks, did you try 50 mg? If so, what was your experience? 

You mentioned kindling, and I agree with Alto that your problems are likely withdrawal, but if you continue to make a lot of drastic changes, yes, you may kindle your nervous system. Please be careful with these changes. Even though you've only been on Trazodone for 7.5 weeks, that's long enough to become dependent on it - it only takes a month to develop a dependency to this drug.

What time(s) of the day are you taking each of your drugs? 

It's possible that you may benefit more from reducing the Lexapro first. For more on this, please see:

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Again, please add a signature so we have a timeline of your drugs and drug changes.

1 hour ago, Shep said:

@JJagentPlease add a signature. We really need this information in order to give you the best advice we can. Here is how to set up a signature: 

How to List Drug History in Signature

Please note it takes 4 days for your nervous system to register a change in dose and it can take several weeks for your body to fully adjust to that change. 

Did 75 mg make you feel hungover? If not, you may want to stay at the dose. But without knowing more about the timeline of drug changes, it's hard to advise.

In the past 7.5 weeks, did you try 50 mg? If so, what was your experience? 

You mentioned kindling, and I agree with Alto that your problems are likely withdrawal, but if you continue to make a lot of drastic changes, yes, you may kindle your nervous system. Please be careful with these changes. Even though you've only been on Trazodone for 7.5 weeks, that's long enough to become dependent on it - it only takes a month to develop a dependency to this drug.

What time(s) of the day are you taking each of your drugs? 

It's possible that you may benefit more from reducing the Lexapro first. For more on this, please see:

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Again, please add a signature so we have a timeline of your drugs and drug changes.

Thank you, Shep.

- 75mg did not make me hung over

- 50mg I had tried with varying degrees of success, but 75 was more effective on average

- The majority of last week I was taking 100mg a night, this would make me feel hungover

- I plan on staying at 75mg for a while, and then tapering very slowly

- I will not make any further drastic changes, though my doctor has said I can take 100mg if the efficiency at a lower dose is not there. I suppose I should not change any dosage for at least 4 days at the 75mg?

This is two nights back on 75mg. While I have been feeling better, there are still some transient uncomfortable feelings (body aches, restlessness). These are also during times of great anxiety. 

Also I neglected to answer your question about time of day - I take Lexapro first thing in the morning, and Trazodone around midnight when I head to bed. 

Just to add one more comment here - my primary symptom I'm feeling as a part of withdrawal has been internal agitation, mostly in my arms, like a restlessness or slight burning sensation. It doesn't appear in my legs, and does not get better with movement. It does alleviate when I can lower my anxiety, through meditation or a cold shower.

I would love to know your thoughts Shep & Alostrata:

• Previous six weeks - Average 75mg per night
  • Previous week - 100mg per night
  • Friday - cold turkey stopped
  • Saturday - bad restless leg feeling / internal agitation - resumed 25mg in evening, resolved symptoms
  • Sunday - internal agitation (mild) - took 12.5mg evening, resolved symptoms
  • Monday - internal agitation (mild) - took 12.mg evening, resolved symptoms
  • Tuesday - internal agitation (mild) - took 25mg evening, symptoms appeared 4 hours later
  • Wednesday - internal agitation (worse) - took 75mg in evening, resolved symptoms
  • Thursday - no agitation - took 75mg in evening
  • Friday - agitation returns in morning, resolved mid-afternoon (today)

This is during an incredibly stressful event, as we are moving this weekend, and it has been months of anticipation. No doubt there is a lot of anxiety inflaming this for me, also.

• Administrator

As Shep advised, stop changing your drugs. This creates more chaos.

If  75mg makes you sleep, and that's what you want, stay at that level.

Please let us know when you want to taper any of your drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus
22 hours ago, JJagent said:

- 75mg did not make me hung over

- 50mg I had tried with varying degrees of success, but 75 was more effective on average

- The majority of last week I was taking 100mg a night, this would make me feel hungover

- I plan on staying at 75mg for a while, and then tapering very slowly

- I will not make any further drastic changes, though my doctor has said I can take 100mg if the efficiency at a lower dose is not there. I suppose I should not change any dosage for at least 4 days at the 75mg?

This is two nights back on 75mg. While I have been feeling better, there are still some transient uncomfortable feelings (body aches, restlessness). These are also during times of great anxiety. 

JJagent, are you able to put the exact days in March in your signature? That will help us track if the increases in Lexapro (a stimulating AD) drove the increases in Trazodone (a drug used for sleep). 

Is the "great anxiety" something external such as work stress or is this happening randomly and unexpectedly?  The reason I ask is because Trazodone is notorious for causing next-day anxiety due to adverse effect caused by its active metabolite, mCPP. While Trazodone can help you sleep, its active metabolite can make you feel sick, anxious, and out of control the next day.  So some of your symptoms may be side effects of this drug. For more, please have a careful read of at least the first post in this thread:

There's also a "Major" drug interaction between these two drugs. Please see:

Drug Interaction Report - Trazodone and Lexapro

Lexapro is a VERY potent drug. Please see the first post in this thread:

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

13 hours ago, JJagent said:

Just to add one more comment here - my primary symptom I'm feeling as a part of withdrawal has been internal agitation, mostly in my arms, like a restlessness or slight burning sensation. It doesn't appear in my legs, and does not get better with movement. It does alleviate when I can lower my anxiety, through meditation or a cold shower.

This is what a lot of members refer to as a "chemical anxiety" or sometimes you'll see it written out as "internal vibrations." This is withdrawal and / or a side effect of the drug. Or it may be an adverse reaction due to the combination of your drugs. You're right that those no way to reduce this through meditation or a cold shower. However, the mindfulness technique of not attaching thoughts to physical withdrawal symptoms may be very helpful. For instance, when a surge of anxiety happens, don't let your thoughts get catastrophic. Just remind yourself that it's a withdrawal symptom or a side effect and go for a walk, watch a favorite TV show, listen to some music, etc. The less you attach your thoughts to it, the less power you give these intense feelings. 

Please stick with the 75 mg Trazodone and let us know how you're doing over the coming days. Once your sleep is stabilized, we can discuss beginning your taper. 

On 5/29/2021 at 4:59 AM, Shep said:

JJagent, are you able to put the exact days in March in your signature? That will help us track if the increases in Lexapro (a stimulating AD) drove the increases in Trazodone (a drug used for sleep). 

Is the "great anxiety" something external such as work stress or is this happening randomly and unexpectedly?  The reason I ask is because Trazodone is notorious for causing next-day anxiety due to adverse effect caused by its active metabolite, mCPP. While Trazodone can help you sleep, its active metabolite can make you feel sick, anxious, and out of control the next day.  So some of your symptoms may be side effects of this drug. For more, please have a careful read of at least the first post in this thread:

There's also a "Major" drug interaction between these two drugs. Please see:

Drug Interaction Report - Trazodone and Lexapro

Lexapro is a VERY potent drug. Please see the first post in this thread:

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

This is what a lot of members refer to as a "chemical anxiety" or sometimes you'll see it written out as "internal vibrations." This is withdrawal and / or a side effect of the drug. Or it may be an adverse reaction due to the combination of your drugs. You're right that those no way to reduce this through meditation or a cold shower. However, the mindfulness technique of not attaching thoughts to physical withdrawal symptoms may be very helpful. For instance, when a surge of anxiety happens, don't let your thoughts get catastrophic. Just remind yourself that it's a withdrawal symptom or a side effect and go for a walk, watch a favorite TV show, listen to some music, etc. The less you attach your thoughts to it, the less power you give these intense feelings. 

Please stick with the 75 mg Trazodone and let us know how you're doing over the coming days. Once your sleep is stabilized, we can discuss beginning your taper. 

Thank you, Shep. I have updated my signature, and it appears I have stabilized on 75mg of Trazodone after 3 nights. 

- I have not changed my 20mg Lexapro during this time

- the external stress is coming from a house move and work, it is not unexpected

- the internal vibrations I did actually find relief from through breathing exercises and cold showers, which makes me believe anxiety was also playing a roll

- I am sleeping fine on 75mg, I was also able to sleep reasonably well when discontinuing it

At this point, should I make a new thread in the Tapering section to seek advice? I would like to get off of this drug as safely as I can, given my brief encounter with withdrawal. 

• Moderator Emeritus
19 hours ago, JJagent said:

Thank you, Shep. I have updated my signature, and it appears I have stabilized on 75mg of Trazodone after 3 nights. 

This is excellent. Please continue to stay the course for now. I would hold at least a month. Building a solid foundation and baseline before tapering again will set yourself up for the best outcome. The goal is to remain as functional as possible throughout your entire taper. 

- the external stress is coming from a house move and work, it is not unexpected

If external stressors are continuing, you may want to consider a micro-taper going forward. Please see:

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases
Decreasing your dosage by very tiny amounts more often might be more tolerable than 5% or 10% decreases. Know your symptom pattern first so you can estimate how often you can reduce.

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

- the internal vibrations I did actually find relief from through breathing exercises and cold showers, which makes me believe anxiety was also playing a roll

I'm very glad to read you're finding non-drug coping techniques to help. 

At this point, should I make a new thread in the Tapering section to seek advice? I would like to get off of this drug as safely as I can, given my brief encounter with withdrawal. 

Please continue to post here on your Intro/Update thread. This will keep all of your information about your taper here in one place. The Tapering Forum is meant for more general questions or to post on the threads about using a scale or how to make a liquid. But for specifics of your own taper, please post here. 

Even though you only had a brief encounter with withdrawal, there is something called "kindling." Kindling is trauma to your nervous system that makes subsequent attempts at withdrawal harder. So please treat your mind/body like fine crystal and go slowly. The more abruptly you make changes, the more trauma to the nervous system that can lead to kindling. 

It's possible you'll want to decrease the Lexapro before decrease the trazodone any more. Since you were on 20 mg of Lexapro in March prior to introducing varying doses of Trazodone, it's possible that part of the need for a sleep drug came from Lexapro. If that's the case, then you're better served by removing Lexapro first. Sleep will also be a priority when setting up a game plan for coming off these drugs, regardless of when you went on them. It only takes a month to become dependent on antidepressants, so you're dependent on both by now. But that's okay. It's still possible to come off safely and heal. 

But for now, please stay the course with 20 mg Lexapro and 75 mg Trazodone over the coming weeks as you settle into your new home and deal with work stressors, all the while building up those non-drug coping skills. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again,

I wanted to update this, and hopefully get some additional advice.

I believed I have mostly stabilized on 75mg, however 9 days later I will still have periods of what feels like withdrawal; muscle soreness and restlessness, some minor flu like sensations. It is not consistent, will fade with relaxation usually, and gets worse if I'm stressed. Some days I am entirely fine, others it comes and goes throughout.

It typically fades by the evening, which worries me that it's being caused by the trazodone itself.

I am wondering if I should increase my dosage? I can put up with the feelings, but they are uncomfortable.

It could also be anxiety driven; I have been hyper focused on this since I first had a bad experience cold turkey. 

• Administrator

Hello, @JJagent How have your symptoms changed over the 3 days?

Did you ever have these symptoms during the day when you were taking trazodone with Lexapro before? What times of day do you take Lexapro and trazodone, with their dosages?

34 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, @JJagent How have your symptoms changed over the 3 days?

Did you ever have these symptoms during the day when you were taking trazodone with Lexapro before? What times of day do you take Lexapro and trazodone, with their dosages?

Thanks, Altostrata

When I first went through withdrawal cold turkey from 100mg, I had very bad internal restlessness, coupled with muscle pain in my arms and bad insomnia. This dissipated over those 3 days. 

I do not believe I had these symptoms prior to that withdrawal attempt.

I take 20mg Lexapro around 9am. I will take 73-76mg of Trazodone around midnight to 2am. I say that amount range because splitting the pill isn't always clean. I now have a scale to measure exact amounts. 

The symptoms in the day are more pronounced when I take the Trazodone later the night prior (2am), which, as I write this I now realize is new behavior; I typically would only take it at midnight or earlier before.  

Thanks in advance.

To provide an additional update - the past 2 days I have been increasing the gap between the Trazodone and Lexapro, which appears to be helping:

- Trazodone around 12:30AM (bedtime) ~75mg

- Lexapro around 12PM (lunchtime) 20mg

I have noticed an uptick in my mood, and the physical anxiety appears to be lessened.

• Administrator

Trazodone and Lexapro may be conflicting. Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from one of your drugs.

• Administrator

Those daytime symptoms do appear to be from the interaction of the 2 drugs. If I were you, I'd gradually reduce trazodone. Many people sleep fine on less. See Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)

5 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Those daytime symptoms do appear to be from the interaction of the 2 drugs. If I were you, I'd gradually reduce trazodone. Many people sleep fine on less. See Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)

Thank you, Altostrata

At this point, I feel like I am ready to begin tapering by 10% per month; once adjusted to the 75mg from 100mg, my depression and anxiety has significantly lessened. I feel a further drop is worth trying, carefully. My target is 50mg, which would be about 3 months. I will speak to my doctor about this in the coming week. Any sage advice?

• Administrator

See Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)

I hope you explicitly covered the adverse effects of trazodone in interaction with Lexapro with your doctor. They need this kind of education.

15 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

See Tips for tapering off trazodone (Desyrel)

I hope you explicitly covered the adverse effects of trazodone in interaction with Lexapro with your doctor. They need this kind of education.

Thanks, I have reviewed that in depth, I appreciate the info. Should I continue to update / seek advice as I taper here?

And yes, I will be very explicit with the doctor about this all. They have been dismissive thus far, and I'm looking for a psychiatrist currently. 

• Administrator

Psychiatrists are not much better, sorry to say.

• 1 month later...

Hi JJagent

I am embarking on a Trazodone taper as well. I have been on 50mg for 5.5 months. Started a 5% taper beginning on July. Want to connect and probably support each other?

- Nicole

Drug History:

June 2020 - Dec 2020 - Levothyroxine 50mcg

Dec 2020 - Zoloft 25 mg started

End of Jan 2021 - Tapered zoloft to 12.5 mg

End of Feb 2021 - Tapered Trazodone to 37.5

Mid march 2021- Back to Zoloft 25mg and Trazodone 50mg

April - End of June 2021 - Feeling great

July 2021 - Started 5% taper of Trazodone

Supplements: Vitamin D 1000IU, Tart cherry concentrate 800mg @10am, Mag Citrate ~250mg , Homeopathic flower essences sleep spray