Selfhealer: Only 5 months in AD and Benzos? Is withdrawal possible?

Selfhealer

Hey! 
 I have been scrolling around for over a month at this forum. I haven’t come across any member being in meds for as little as me. I have been medicated last October for health anxiety. After 5 months on Cipralex and Xanax I came across another holistic practice and tapered according to my doctor’s advices in a few weeks until I finally quit everything in March. I still experience though several withdrawal symptoms ( I now know it’s them, my doctor also said that they’re not WD symptoms but the disorder coming back).

So my question is, is withdrawal symptoms possible to last a long time after being medicated for so little? 
Thank you in advance 

Selfhealer 

Edited by manymoretodays

28 October 2020: escitalopram(Cipralex) 0,5mg & Xanax 0,75 mg

5 December 2020: updosed Cipralex at 10 mg and lowered Xanax to 0,5mg

January 2021: Cipralex still on 10mg, Xanax 0,25mg 

2 February 2021: Cipralex updosed at 20mg   for about 2 weeks, Xanax cold-turkeyed 

18 February 2021: Cipralex lowered from 20mg to  15-to 10-to 5 in 5-6 weeks

Completely drug free since 17/03/2021

Currently taking Magnesium(1 pill per day) and Onega 3(3 capsules per day 1800mgEPA, 450mgDHA)

Practicing yoga, reiki, meditation and acceptance.

Fully functional but not healed 

Hi Selfhealer-- welcome to SA. I'm so glad you found us. From your comments I think you will find this article interesting.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/23081-are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take/?tab=comments#comment-492494

Many doctors are under the misconception that ADWD symptoms are the return of the "original condition". They are far from correct.

If you would please take the time to fill in a signature block with details of your drug history it would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24613-how-to-list-drug-history-in-signature/

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thank you so much for your fast response. I so needed this confirmation that it’s withdrawal. I run through the article in the link just yesterday before I’d seen your response. So are we talking about adverse reaction? I also updated my signature! 

P.a: I’m so glad I found you,too. 🥰

2 February 2021: Cipralex updosed at 20mg   for about 2 weeks, Xanax cold-turkeyed 

Currently taking Magnesium(1 pill per day) and Onega 3(3 capsules per day 1800mgEPA, 450mgDHA)

An adverse reaction is a very strong negative response to the medication that usually happens with in a few hours of taking it. What you are describing is fairly common withdrawal symptoms. These drugs are quit powerful and the body can become adjusted to them with about a month of use. After that amount of time it is usually necessary to taper the drug slowly to avoid WD symptoms. Taking the drug for five months is plenty of time for the body to get use to having it and require a taper. Even stopping it over several weeks is too fast.

Thank you for updating your signature, it makes it a lot easier to see what is going on.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

@brassmonkey

Thank you so much for all the info. It’s been 70 days exactly since my last pill. Do you think the time that I was on meds is equivalent to the time needed for the brain to heal? To list some of my WD symptoms:

-heavy dizziness 

-light headaches(rarely) 

-“sea legs” like my feet are floating on water 

-depersonalisation 

-anxiety & fear 

-fatigue

-air hunger  

I think 3-4 days ago I had my first brief window. It lasted about 3 days.Now I feel horrible again. Do you think it’s a good sign? 
Selfhealer

For short term users like yourself, it can take a lot longer to stabilize and recover than you spent actually taking the drugs. It does tend to go quicker that for someone who has been taking them for years though. There are so many factors involved that it is really impossible to put a tine frame on how long things will take.

Those are all pretty common WD symptoms. As you've probably already noticed they will come and go and com back again. Over time they shouldn't be as strong. Getting a 3 day window is an excellent sign of healing. My first window lasted fifteen minutes and I didn't even realize it had happened for several hours.

@brassmonkey

I’m so excited to learn all this through your community. I am struggling the last days and I found peace in your words. A thousand times thank you is not enough. 
I also want to state that I’m currently taking magnesium, omega 3 and vitamin D. It’s hard but I’ll get through this as everybody has and will do. 
You have my sincerest of wishes 

Selfhealer

Hey again! 
I was just wondering I’ve read almost anything in here about reinstating the drug. Does this promise no withdrawal when finished?

Reinstatement doesn't remove all WD symptoms, it can make them milder if the symptoms are extreme.

Reinstatement is a last resort way to try and tame extreme WD symptoms. There are a lot of considerations involved in reinstating, how long a person was taking the drug, how fast they tapered and stopped, how long they have been off the drug and how debilitating their symptoms are. If a person is bedridden, can feed or clean themselves and the like because of the severity of their symptoms, then a reinstatement can be worth the risk.  Thing is that reinstatement doesn't always work and can sometimes leave a person in much worst condition then they were originally.

Unfortunately most people are going to experience WD symptoms when they try to stop taking these drugs. Even if they, as in your case, only took them for a short time. These drugs work by making modifications to all of the different systems the body uses to live. The body then requires the presence of the drug to continue working properly in its new condition. Remove the drug and the body has to change back to how it was originally. That takes time and while it is happening the body doesn't know how to function properly, which causes WD symptoms. Until the body has reversed all the changes there can be WD symptoms.

Thank you for your response @brassmonkey. I actually wouldn’t try a reinstatement. I think I’ve done a lot of patience to take it back now. Do you think the severity of the symptoms is connected maybe to the time that withdrawal will take place? I mean, I don’t really experience any emotional symptoms, only some cry spells (but even them are reasonable). And as for the cognitive issues I do have forgetfulness and in days that I’m anxious I tend to slurp( but nothing close to severe). My symptoms are mostly physical and the heaviest ones are dizinnes, DP and air hunger. I know they are bearable I can see it now since I’ve read all stories in here. But that made me think.....are the mild symptoms a sign of faster recovery?

There is really no way of telling. Tapering and recovery are so different for each person that we can't predict. Also things can change at any time. We have plenty of members that are doing quite well when all of a sudden for no reason they start having trouble. We have others that have a mild experience the entire time while others have to fight every step of the way. It's the main reason we don't like to tell people how log it will take for recovery. The best thing to do is accept that it will "take as long as it takes" and live your life around it as best as you can.

Hmmm, alright! I get it. I think that everybody who has ever taken ADs will go through withdrawal but afterwards (when the serious stuff is over) is likely to be a little more sensitive to any change than any other person. I’m having another window actually since yesterday and I’m enjoying it to the fullest. I just wanted to say again..... I AM A MILLION TIMES THANKFUL FOR THE EXISTENCE OF THIS FORUM! If it hadn’t been for you I would have followed my doctors advice to medicate myself again and I cannot even imagine what would be the impact! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey stranger reading this post. I just wanted to do a small update. I’m in day 85 since my last drug(Escitalopram) so about 2,5 months in withdrawal. My symptoms seem to lessen over time(fatigue,pins and needles,heavy head, terror,brainzaps-not even one the last three weeks). The one that was the most terrifying to me, heavy dizinnes, has come to be more bearable. But… the air hunger. My dear God the air hunger. It’s a symptom that I had since tapering, stopped during a small 3-day wave but now it’s overwhelming. Followed by chest stiffness( like another member said, my chest feels very “chemical”), heart palpitations and tachycardia(sometimes) when I stand up too quickly. I took a heart ultrasound last summer(I’m 27 yo) and ofc everything was fine. Do you think these are withdrawal symptoms too? Also to state, I exercise almost daily and I don’t get abnormally tired or out of breath. It’s just that feeling that you are really shallow-breathed( not a word 😎) and after a few shallow breaths you need more air sometimes gettin it sometimes not. What is your experience?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there. Update again. It’s been quite lonely in my thread the past weeks but I find company reading other people’s threads so that’s ok. Yesterday I had to work after a very long time. My job requires high physical activity and concentration. At the beginning everything was fine except for a pinch of anxiety. During the afternoon though, when we finished all the preparations ( I was a bartender at a wedding catering) and we just had to stand up here and there I started to panic. My heartbeat ramped up, I started having stomach ache and high anxiety. I then asked my supervisor to transfer me to a more moving position. Everything started to feel better then. Is this akathisia? I’ve been following this pattern to fully understand it. So I came to the conclusion that all my symptoms are nearly gone when I’m sitting or moving. But when I’m asked to just stand in a place I get really uncomfortable and panicky. What’s your thoughts? Small note: all my other symptoms are quite manageable. Like minor migraines, muscle pain, spikes and needles ,dizinnes,DP  and bloating. The one that’s been really frustrating is chest heaviness and weird breath. My sleep is also great. Never been bad and I am so lucky and grateful. Some of them are also completely gone like fatigue. I’d really like to have some members of SA to talk here . I wish everyone a withdrawal free day 🌺 

• Mentor

@Selfhealer Sounds like you are doing pretty good.  Being able to sleep is a big one.  It is good to read that  you are slowly making improvements.  I can't wait until I can be drug free..........

Can you explain what you mean by air hunger?  I sometimes feel an over whelming feeling like I am swimming up stream or being pulled underwater.  I can breathe.  It is freaky and I can feel over whelmed.  These wd symptoms can be weird.  I had a feeling of fear.  It is unmoving to feel an uneasiness and fear and you don't know why.  When I  ct Seroquel I thought I was going nuts,  I heard birds singing out of my living room window and and out of the blue I had this panic and  I thought are those birds trying to talk to me.  Then I when I was outside I had the strange feeling that I might here a man voice talking to me.  Sometimes if I was outside I would get this uneasy feeling that I should be afraid of something.  I had  hard time going outside for awhile.  It seems like that all has past.  I was much relieved when I read on the symptoms and self care form here on SA that other people have experienced unexplainable fear.... It sure is a eye opener what these drugs can do to your brain. 

I'm here if you need to chat 

Check out my thread if you want

Greatful

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg , 0.05mg 4/1/2024   0

Lamictal  taper  4/17/ 2022 25mg, 9/9/ 22 -20mg, 9/25/22- 15mg , 10/20/22-   0

Trazodone..2023.>down to 14mg, 7mg, 6mg  July 2023   0

Xanax  0.0625 3 x a day,  2023>  0.042 3x a day

Supplements  Magnesium glycinate, Omega 3, D3, vitamin c , zinc, NAC 

Hey there Greatful! So happy to have one of the members on my thread! I guess you noticed me whining on my loneliness 😂. I cannot complain. About one month ago it was pure hell. But I am trying to grow acceptance over it and it seems to be working. By air hunger I mean a feeling that I cannot take deep breaths regularly. It’s like 20 shallow breaths and then one relieving deep one. Don’t worry about birds , or voices or anything else. This is just our medicated brain messing with us and trying to heal itself. You will come through. Fear is a huge part of withdrawal because all these weird feelings don’t really have a medical explanation( until we found SA 🤩). But fear is also normal and should be perceived like this.  I’ve learned and made it my life moto that “the worst enemies of fear are knowledge and acceptance”. I hope you are having an easy day. I wish you all the best on your recovery and afterwards. ☺️

On 6/11/2021 at 8:36 AM, Selfhealer said:

Hey stranger reading this post. I just wanted to do a small update. I’m in day 85 since my last drug(Escitalopram) so about 2,5 months in withdrawal. My symptoms seem to lessen over time(fatigue,pins and needles,heavy head, terror,brainzaps-not even one the last three weeks). The one that was the most terrifying to me, heavy dizinnes, has come to be more bearable. But… the air hunger. My dear God the air hunger. It’s a symptom that I had since tapering, stopped during a small 3-day wave but now it’s overwhelming. Followed by chest stiffness( like another member said, my chest feels very “chemical”), heart palpitations and tachycardia(sometimes) when I stand up too quickly. I took a heart ultrasound last summer(I’m 27 yo) and ofc everything was fine. Do you think these are withdrawal symptoms too? Also to state, I exercise almost daily and I don’t get abnormally tired or out of breath. It’s just that feeling that you are really shallow-breathed( not a word 😎) and after a few shallow breaths you need more air sometimes gettin it sometimes not. What is your experience?

That happens to me sometimes. I breathe as normal and then usually after what seems like a few shallow breaths I feel the need to take a big breath to get enough air. This cycle can be repeating many times. However, it usually goes away on its own after I stop thinking about it. In fact, I had this past night when falling asleep. I remember I took a few big breaths and then I fell asleep and I was fine, so apparently this isn't anything serious or dangerous. It did not prevent me from sleeping and my body regulated it on its own. I have been having this feeling for many years now but only rarely, and it doesn't last long, so it doesn't bother me much. All my heart and other medical tests are normal and my blood oxygen is always close to 100%, so at least I am assured that it isn't dangerous. Although I can see how it can be very annoying if it happens often. Not sure if this helps, but I hope that you fell better soon! 

My thread: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24990-surviving82-my-story-wd-from-antidepressants-please-help/

2016-2017: sertraline for approx. 1.5 years for anxiety and OCD outbreak following birth of my son (all the way from 2mg to 200mg), rapid tapered from 150mg for about 6 weeks without issues. Approximately 2 years psych drug free.

Nov 2019 - Feb 2020: fluvoxamine to prevent anxiety/OCD outbreak following birth of my daughter. Had to go off due to constant somnolence.

Feb 2020 - Dec 2020: started escitalopram while rapid tapering fluvoxamine. After 9 months decided to get off due to weight gain, rapid tapered from [I think] 15mg for about 6 weeks without immediate issues.

March-April 2021: started excessive strenuous exercise and dieting regimen for weight loss. Was doing great (or so I thought) for 3 weeks until early April 2021 when out of nowhere massive panic attacks, other dysautonomia symptoms. AWFUL CRASH.   

Mid-April 2021: fluoxetine 10mg for 1 week then 20mg for 1 week. Massive side effects, suicidality. Was told to go CT. Side effects gradually started resolving.

Mid-Late May 2021: sertraline for 11 days, fine at low doses but same side effects as prozac at 25 to 50mg. Was told to either drop CT or hold at 1/4 of a 25mg pill. 

April-May 2021: trazodone 50mg PRN for sleep. Do not take every day, the only side effect I noticed is dry mouth.

June 8, 2021: stopped all psych meds. Truing to trust that with God's help, my body will heal on its own. 

September 9, 2021: reinstated escitalopram 1mg. Gradually worked up to 2.5mg by September 30. Reinstatement seems to be helping!

Other: Hashimoto thyroiditis for 11 years (on levothyroxine varying doses, between 88mcg and 125mcg), history of anxiety/GAD including health anxiety, OCD. History of autonomic dysfunction (migraines, vasovagal episodes).

• Mentor

Your not whining, your like everyone going through wd.  It can feel pretty lonely at times. We all need someone that can relate to what we are going through.  a shoulder to whine on.  Do you have any support at home?  My husband is wonderful,  although I think he is getting worn out...

I know we all struggle in our own ways, but you are lucky to not have emotional  issues,  Depression and anxiety is a hard one for me to deal with.  I also have to watch how over stimulated I get. Noise, lights.  makes it hard to go out and about.  

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg , 0.05mg 4/1/2024   0

@Greatful thank you so much for the support Greatful. Yes, my lifemate is very supportive. He is such a big realist and that helps most of the time ☺️. I am so lucky to not have all those neuroemotions. I remember my first days of the drug were an emotional whirl and I kinda think of neuroemotions are like that. I was constantly thinking I was going mad. I didn’t. And you won’t, too. 🌼

@Surviving82Thank you for your support. Mine is still going though and it’s an everyday thing. It never occurs when I’m in bed. It’s better when I’m lying down or when I’m working out but when I have to stand still that’s when it goes crazy. And that’s something I cannot explain. Like, how can I have breath issues when I’m working out legularly? I even went to the sea yesterday, I can swim very good and I did! Nothing like this happened. Whatever. I am learning to accept almost everything in withdrawal. I wish we all move on 🌼

On 6/22/2021 at 9:53 AM, Selfhealer said:

@Surviving82Thank you for your support. Mine is still going though and it’s an everyday thing. It never occurs when I’m in bed. It’s better when I’m lying down or when I’m working out but when I have to stand still that’s when it goes crazy. And that’s something I cannot explain. Like, how can I have breath issues when I’m working out legularly? I even went to the sea yesterday, I can swim very good and I did! Nothing like this happened. Whatever. I am learning to accept almost everything in withdrawal. I wish we all move on 🌼

@Selfhealer, if you had medical issues with breathing or oxygen, you would be experiencing them the most while you work out as this is the time that your body uses the most oxygen. Standing still for longer periods of time can trigger what is called vasovagal response, which is basically a form of disautonomia. I've had this since I was a teen. When I stand for long periods of time, especially in the heat, I start getting dizzy and lightheaded. I need to sit down or lay down or I risk passing out. Maybe WD has triggered something similar in you. Or, it is also possible that this sensation is anxiety related. I know it is super scary and annoying, but I think the best course of action is to reassure yourself that this sensation is not dangerous. It isn't going to harm you. I know easier said than done though. I myself struggle with acceptance of all this weirdness every single day. But I personally find that the more I am able to accept the craziness that I experience today, it seems to manifest a tad bit less the next day. Lately, I talk to the weird sensations that I experience. I may say, okay, I acknowledge that I feel this pressure in my chest and I feel as if I cannot get enough air. I have already experienced it before and it did not harm me. So, it won't harm me this time either. I know it will go away. It is not dangerous. I am medically healthy and nothing is wrong with me. I am safe. And then I try to switch my attention to something else. Over time, this enables me to worry less about the weird sensations and hyperfocus on them less. The less I hyperfocus, the less I tend to feel them. It is not an overnight process and it may take weeks or months, but I feel that it helps me. Try it, maybe you find it beneficial as well. 

How are you doing otherwise? Have your other symptoms lessened a bit lately?

My thread: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24990-surviving82-my-story-wd-from-antidepressants-please-help/

2016-2017: sertraline for approx. 1.5 years for anxiety and OCD outbreak following birth of my son (all the way from 2mg to 200mg), rapid tapered from 150mg for about 6 weeks without issues. Approximately 2 years psych drug free.

Nov 2019 - Feb 2020: fluvoxamine to prevent anxiety/OCD outbreak following birth of my daughter. Had to go off due to constant somnolence.

Feb 2020 - Dec 2020: started escitalopram while rapid tapering fluvoxamine. After 9 months decided to get off due to weight gain, rapid tapered from [I think] 15mg for about 6 weeks without immediate issues.

March-April 2021: started excessive strenuous exercise and dieting regimen for weight loss. Was doing great (or so I thought) for 3 weeks until early April 2021 when out of nowhere massive panic attacks, other dysautonomia symptoms. AWFUL CRASH.   

Mid-April 2021: fluoxetine 10mg for 1 week then 20mg for 1 week. Massive side effects, suicidality. Was told to go CT. Side effects gradually started resolving.

Mid-Late May 2021: sertraline for 11 days, fine at low doses but same side effects as prozac at 25 to 50mg. Was told to either drop CT or hold at 1/4 of a 25mg pill. 

April-May 2021: trazodone 50mg PRN for sleep. Do not take every day, the only side effect I noticed is dry mouth.

June 8, 2021: stopped all psych meds. Truing to trust that with God's help, my body will heal on its own. 

September 9, 2021: reinstated escitalopram 1mg. Gradually worked up to 2.5mg by September 30. Reinstatement seems to be helping!

Other: Hashimoto thyroiditis for 11 years (on levothyroxine varying doses, between 88mcg and 125mcg), history of anxiety/GAD including health anxiety, OCD. History of autonomic dysfunction (migraines, vasovagal episodes).

Oh my God @Surviving82this is just what I needed to hear today. Thank you so much for that message. You are completely right. Better said than done. I am trying. I just heard a few audios by Claire Weekes and she is suggesting the exact same thing. As for my other symptoms, I can see now the patterns. They come and go every time less severe. Anxiety and breath hunger seem to be the longest ones. There’s one thing going on and on in my mind the last days…. I was originally prescribed the poison for health anxiety. Can someone acknowledge how hard it is to be in withdrawal while coping with health anxiety? I mean..if I was originally depressed would my WD symptoms be more like neuroemotions? Maybe a moderator can answer if the drugs enhance the already occurring disorder during WD. 
How are you doing? What are your special( I feel each and everyone in here is so unique!) symptoms? Good to hear from you.

All my wishes 

1 minute ago, Selfhealer said:

Oh my God @Surviving82this is just what I needed to hear today. Thank you so much for that message. You are completely right. Better said than done. I am trying. I just heard a few audios by Claire Weekes and she is suggesting the exact same thing. As for my other symptoms, I can see now the patterns. They come and go every time less severe. Anxiety and breath hunger seem to be the longest ones. There’s one thing going on and on in my mind the last days…. I was originally prescribed the poison for health anxiety. Can someone acknowledge how hard it is to be in withdrawal while coping with health anxiety? I mean..if I was originally depressed would my WD symptoms be more like neuroemotions? Maybe a moderator can answer if the drugs enhance the already occurring disorder during WD. 
How are you doing? What are your special( I feel each and everyone in here is so unique!) symptoms? Good to hear from you.

All my wishes 

@Selfhealer, I too suffer primarily from health anxiety, but I also have OCD. To be honest I am not sure which comes first, but I feel like I have intrusive thoughts about my health and then it fuels health anxiety, and that creates more "symptoms" to feed my OCD and so on. I don't know you of course, but it is possible that the "breath hunger" is created by anxiety. Anxiety is a very sneaky beast, it can create pretty much any feeling. For example right now as I think about "breath hunger" I start experiencing it, and feel the need to take deep breaths. But the key to managing these feelings is reassuring yourself that they are not going to hurt you. In the past 3 months since all this started happening with me, I've been to the emergency room 3 times. At first I thought I was having a heart attack, then I was worried about fatal insomnia, and the last time - about multiple sclerosis or Parkinsons. It took me awhile to finally accept that I do not have any of these (or other) medical diseases. What I do have is disautonomia + anxiety + OCD. As much as this can be deeply uncomfortable, it will not physically hurt me. I will be okay. I cannot do much about my disautonomia symptoms at the moment, but I can work on my perception of them. I can also work on controlling my anxiety around them, and in general. If you feel like it, read the "DARE approach to anxiety and panic" book. I feel it helped me a lot. 

I do not have any "special" symptom. Right now it is mostly the general feeling of jitteriness/unsettliness/anxiety/uneasiness from the time I wake up until about 5PM. Interestingly, after 5PM all this tends to go away and I start feeling like myself. Not sure what's up with that, but that is how it is currently. I do have the random disautonomia symptoms pop up but I ignore them. Ironically, once I started believing that they won't hurt me, they have dramatically lessened. I also noticed that the general feeling of jitteriness/unsettliness/anxiety/uneasiness is always the worst when I am alone at home. When I am around people I don't have it as much, and maybe not at all sometimes. Perhaps, the distraction takes it away? 

Wishing you the best and sending warm hugs your way!

@Surviving82i am so sook right now. You cannot believe how similar this description feels to me. I experience  the same thing around 5 pm!!! And also every symptom you described before that time, occurs to me as well.And it also started 3 months ago for me too. That’s what happened with my dizinnes. I had it for sooooo long. Like two months straight and it was pretty severe. When I said: two months in this and nothing ever happened, nor did I faint or anything. It disappeared! Not completely but a fair 80% is gone. The only “symptom” of the ones you mentioned that I find us different is the “home alone” thing. When I’m outside (on the hellish hours , morning-noon) my anxiety ramps up. It tends to slow down even when I’m just heading home before I even pass my doorway. What a strange thing our brain is… I hope you and me and everybody struggling could see the strength it has and believe that we will heal even if right now we’re in our darkest time.

55 minutes ago, Selfhealer said:

@Surviving82i am so sook right now. You cannot believe how similar this description feels to me. I experience  the same thing around 5 pm!!! And also every symptom you described before that time, occurs to me as well.And it also started 3 months ago for me too. That’s what happened with my dizinnes. I had it for sooooo long. Like two months straight and it was pretty severe. When I said: two months in this and nothing ever happened, nor did I faint or anything. It disappeared! Not completely but a fair 80% is gone. The only “symptom” of the ones you mentioned that I find us different is the “home alone” thing. When I’m outside (on the hellish hours , morning-noon) my anxiety ramps up. It tends to slow down even when I’m just heading home before I even pass my doorway. What a strange thing our brain is… I hope you and me and everybody struggling could see the strength it has and believe that we will heal even if right now we’re in our darkest time.

@Selfhealer, I think that the "home alone" anxiety for me is the remainder of the time when I was terrified that I would have a heart attack at home and nobody would be there to even call an ambulance. These days are long gone (as I now know that nothing bad will happen to me), but I guess anxiety still hangs around. Also when I am home alone I tend to ruminate and think about all this stuff, and I find that this aggravates it. When I am busy with something else I don't have time to think about all this, my symptoms etc. Distractions I guess. Sometimes I wonder, if there was a way to somehow erase the past 3 months out of my memory, would I even still know that anything was wrong? Or would I just carry on living like I used to? Ever wondered about this yourself? 

@Surviving82Wow. That would be reaaaally nice. No that’s so clever but never crossed my mind. Earlier today, I was reading about hypnotherapy. Do you think it could work that way somehow? Do you have any ideas on this? I read that it “cures” the subconscious, unwanted ideas that are stuck in our brains. As for the “home alone” thing (it’s got a name now lol) I used to have it! A LOT! Same same same. Even the thought about the ambulance. But it seems that some spiritual and shadow work (it’s like CBT) I’ve done recently has made its magic. I feel more comfortable in my own skin than I did a year ago. It’s so good to have someone here, replying and chatting. Thank you 🌼

@Surviving82Do you have trouble sleeping?

5 hours ago, Selfhealer said:

@Surviving82Do you have trouble sleeping?

I used to. But as soon as I went CT of all psych drugs, that went away. So I think that was a side effect of ADs, which is a known side effect when people start them. Now I sleep like a log (knock on wood). My cortisol jolts have also gone away. Hoping that would last. When I used to not sleep well, it made everything 10 times harder. 

Before this incident, I used to have trouble sleeping intermittently, when I had high anxiety. At some point during my first major attack in 2011 I went for a few weeks (or even a couple months, don't quite remember now) long stretch with major insomnia. I used to take lunesta, that would knock me out for 4 hrs and then I would be wide awake again. After I run out of lunesta, I used to take flexeril (a muscle relaxer) and that helped too. And then gradually my sleep improved by itself. 

Do you have trouble sleeping @Selfhealer?

16 hours ago, Selfhealer said:

@Surviving82Wow. That would be reaaaally nice. No that’s so clever but never crossed my mind. Earlier today, I was reading about hypnotherapy. Do you think it could work that way somehow? Do you have any ideas on this? I read that it “cures” the subconscious, unwanted ideas that are stuck in our brains. As for the “home alone” thing (it’s got a name now lol) I used to have it! A LOT! Same same same. Even the thought about the ambulance. But it seems that some spiritual and shadow work (it’s like CBT) I’ve done recently has made its magic. I feel more comfortable in my own skin than I did a year ago. It’s so good to have someone here, replying and chatting. Thank you 🌼

@Selfhealer, I have no idea about hypnotherapy. I suppose it couldn't hurt to try if you are up for it. But I think that I will just try to lay low and wait it out. During my attack in 2011 I went to many, many alternative medicine places - chiropractors, natural healers, acupuncture, herbalists, etc. I was desperate to try anything to feel better. Unfortunately, nothing made a difference in how I felt but it did take a lot of time and lowered my checking account. So this time around I am not really trying anything of that sort. I realize that these alternative medicines do help people, but sadly they did not work for me. 

@Surviving82i don’t know how to answer on topics like you did above lol. So I’ll just try to answer as clearly as possible. Considering the sleep deprivation, I didn’t experience that at all (knock on wood). I usually find it kinda hard to sleep(it takes me about half an hour, don’t know if it’s too long or not) but I eventually do. My point here about hypnotherapy is that I found an audio in YT that I used  the past two nights. I cannot really explain the feeling. I was just following the ladies words and sleep came so naturally. What’s even more weird is that the next day my symptoms were lessened to an incredible amount( even the air hunger, yes!). Of course I’m not at all a cuckoo person about anything either spiritual or medicinal. I believe our healing is based in our human endeavour and I’ve made a lot of that. But I believe there is energy and we cannot comprehend it. Anyway, I asked you in case you wanted to know about the audio.

Have a wonderful day.🌼🌼

Just doing a small update. The past 3 days(especially yesterday) were hard. Increased anxiety(no panick attacks), air hunger, back pain/burn, heart palpitations,fatigue and tremors. No brain zaps but whole body zaps(3-4 times total). I seem to have this morning- afternoon pattern when you’re of the roof in the a.m and better after midday. I am currently taking magnesium and omega 3. Do you think omega 3 could cause the anxiety and the jitteriness? That inner swirling, trembling,chemical feeling? I also practice meditation and acceptance daily. I am highly active( I am doing yoga and another form of cardio activity) and I am about to work again (after 1,5 year due to COVID) on Wednesday. Do you think that forcing myself into activities will slow down my healing? I never felt like forcing it though. I feel that putting yourself into fear and terror intentionally BUT under the condition of practicing accceptance during that time, is accelerating the whole healing process.  

• Mentor

@SelfhealerI am sorry you are having a tuff time.  The ups and downs are very trying.  I also experience the mornings and early afternoons to be the hardest.  My evenings have been a little better. Does your anxiety present in different ways?  Sometimes mine is in the lower part of my stomach, or in the pit of my stomach, or in my chest.  Sometimes I am so tense I could jump out of my skin.  I have a weird one, that my brain feels very tense. Not so much racing but very intense.  I guess I don't know how else to explain it. 

When you say chemical feeling are you talking about in your body or brain?  I think I have had it in both.  

With all this weird things going on in are bodies I find it very frustrating that the  Doctors that are prescribing these drugs to use are clueless.  These chemical are very much changing things in are bodies, why else would we be having all these symptoms! 

Is your job stressful?  How do you feel about going back?  I worked for a few months Feb to into June (I work in food service in a high school kitchen..  You know the lunch lady haha) anyway I was a mess but since I  knew my job so well I could just be in auto pilot.  It was not easy.  But it was good for me to get out of the house for a few hours a day.  My brain was such a mess, my thinking was scrambled and I would get very weak and fatigued.  

You should put your supplements in with your drug history.  The mods like to see anything you are taking.  How long have you been taking Magnesium and Omega 3?  What type of Magnesium are you taking.  Is there any other ingrediencies  in with it?  I take Magnesium Glycinate.  I take around 150mg to 200mg a day. 

Mine come in capsules, I open the capsule and pour 1/2 (so about 50mg) have in a glass of water.  It doesn't taste the best but it is in my system throughout the day.  I guess it is better to take mag over the course of the day. Sometimes it helps a lot.  I feel a little calmer.  I do this 3 to 4 times a day.

I also take 1000mg of Omega 3 twice a day.   

I can't  imagine feeling like you can't get enough air.   I guess we all have our cliff hanger symptoms.  

Hang in there. Have a great day( I don't know what time it is there right now)

@GreatfulThank you so much for your response.Yes the air hunger has been the most debilitating of all. When I focus in my natural breath and try to not hyperventilate it seems like I’m getting dizzy or a strange feeling in my head. I guess that continuin thing I do with my breath has affected the oxygen level my brain finds normal if that makes sense. But I’m trying to change it. My omega 3 vitamins are 1800mg EPA and 450mg DHA. I totally take 3 capsules per day. My magnesium is in pill form but as I can see from the ingredient table it doesn’t contain glycinate. It contains: magnesium 400mg, microcrystalline cellulose, dextrin,starch and a few more. Do you think it would be better to crack that into smaller pieces throughout the day? As for the time I’ve been taking them it’s almost been 2 months with a week break due to the delivery company I ordered them from. I thought I should finish the boxes and then cut them off for a while. And lastly yes. My anxiety presents hershelf in multiple ways. But the most frequent is air hunger and exactly what you described as “wanting to jump of my skin”. Thank you again. I hope you are getting better day by day. I still can’t believe that two or more strangers are healing each other by sharing hope and ways to cope and our own people cannot. I guess we can not blame them. They can not understand the slightest of WD and I’m happy the can’t. By the way right now in Greece is 40 Celsius degrees and around 6 p.m 🙂🙂 sending you healing vibes.

• Mentor

@Selfhealer  Did you feel a increase in symptoms when you started the Magnesium of Omega 3? I would take your Omega at throughout the day also.   I would try and split your Mad in half at least.

The reason why I asked about the ingredient in the mag is I read here that some of the added stuff could increase energy.  Maybe you could look  in this:

Good vibes back at you😊

@GreatfulYes I’ve read that before. It seems that mine is none of them. Plain magnesium. Mine says 400mg per tablet. So I think it will be wiser to crush it maybe into 3 pieces and dilute it into cold water like the moderator says in the link. Thank you for your concern. How are you doing today?

Edited by Selfhealer