Gingerb Can you healing from histamine intolerance?

Gingerb

Hello, I was put on 80 mg of Prilosec (omeprazole) due to having 2 ulcers from taking pain medicine. After taking it a short time I started To experience horrible side effects. Paranoia, psychosis heart palpitations, body jitters muscle spasms, Tinnitus, Head pressure, acid reflux, inflammation, and the list goes on. After seeing many doctors no one could tell me what was wrong until my daughter looked it up one day and told me maybe it's the medication. I abruptly stopped taking it and saw immediate improvements however I've learned now you have to taper off this high dosage and I quickly went into it's withdrawal Which spiraled from there. Not knowing what was happening to me my doctor gave me X to help me cope with the symptoms. I took only took X once a night at .5 mg to sleep. As my body healed from the prilosec withdrawal I was ready to get off of X. My unexperienced doctor told me to do 2 weeks taper taking 1/2 one week and 1/4 The 2nd week and then stop. And of course I went into withdrawal. I have now been off X for 6 months most of my severe symptoms have subsided however I believe I'm struggling with a histamine intolerance. I'm down to eating only 3 foods and has recently been struggling with a reaction to water. I'm starting to feel like this is a separate issue and it may not heal. My last symptoms are head pressure, numbness and tingling in my hands and arms, ear pressure, irritated throat, depression, burning shoulder and back. Just when I thought I was getting better I feel as though this is getting worse. I would love to know if this is still apart of withdrawal or do I need to do anything extra to heal from this?

• Administrator

Welcome, @Gingerb

I am sorry you had this reaction to going off omeprazole too fast. Like psychiatric drugs and many other drugs, omeprazole needs to be tapered to avoid rebound and withdrawal symptoms.

On 5/31/2021 at 4:20 PM, Gingerb said:

my doctor gave me X to help me cope with the symptoms. I took only took X once a night at .5 mg to sleep.

What is X? Xanax?

On 5/31/2021 at 4:20 PM, Gingerb said:

I have now been off X for 6 months most of my severe symptoms have subsided however I believe I'm struggling with a histamine intolerance.

Please tell us more about your recovery from X. What were your most severe symptoms? Which went away first? 

We don't provide support for histamine intolerance here as such, there are groups for that. But some of our members seem to develop it from adverse drug reactions or withdrawal. Here are our discussions about it

Elimination or exclusion diets for reactions to food (food intolerance)

Histamine intolerance

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Altostrata changed the title to Gingerb Can you healing from histamine intolerance?