Maybe Lexapro adverse reaction recovery

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm so sorry that you had to deal with 4.5 years of discomfort just from 4 doses of Lexapro!  I'm wondering if your system was sensitized from the previous Remeron taper?  Congratulations for persevering, and for staying off the psych meds.  Thanks for the success story.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Thank you so much for posting. This gives me so much hope! 

Citalopram 20mg september 23 2019 - 29th September 2019

Great news Maybe.. I’m 2.25 Years out and definitely improving. In a horrible wave right now and am starting to accept that this rocky road is how life Is atm and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. Recovery stories like yours keep the fire burning inside and motivated to stay focused on the reaching the end goal so thank you. 👍🏻

OCT 2016 -  I quit Sertraline 50 mg CT after a family bereavement  had turned my life upside down ..  as a result it felt the drug was totally ineffective. 

MAY 2017-  After what had been an appalling 6 months (which i thought was horrific grief but now realise it is likely withdrawal is the more likely culprit)  I reinstated Sertraline at 50 mg before raising the dose to 100 mg due to not feeling any effect (again this is something that makes sense now). In time i had started to feel normal again and presumed it was because I had worked my way through my prolonged grief.  

FEB 2019 -  Life was now back on track and decided it was time to try and rid myself of the shameful daily pill pop that is AD's. I quit Sertraline Via a fast taper... but may aswell have been a CT.

JUN 2019 -  I found SA . .. realised i was withdrawing .. and had inadvertently made multiple mistakes along the way.

NOV 2019 - I'm roughly 8-9 months into withdrawal & STRUGGLING

Hey @Maybe read your story, congratulations on your recovery so happy for you. 

questions for you during about how many months did you notice change in your windows and waves pattern, and felt like recovery was happening? 

Currently 4 months in for me and recovery feels better than month 3 and waaaay better than month 1 and 2. 

they need to ban these drugs forever !!! 

2018 - Zoloft for 5 days then CT due to severe nausea , no severe withdrawals and no adverse reaction.

OCT 2020- vitamin D (5000iu) -which I know now is too high dosage and looking back it now I realize it was causing mood issues, which led me to search for ADs.

2021 - Paxil 3 days  (Feb 16,17,18)CT due to severe nausea ( side note day of CT I got my second dose of covid 19 vaccine which could have further destabilized my CNS) then 4 weeks later severe adverse reaction that included every single WD symptom on here.

2021- month out ( April 05, 07)not knowing what was going on went to ER twice and was placed on hydroxyzine and Reglan (anti-nausea) ( which I know now affects serotonin levels also) nothing helped.

Then went to two different psychiatrists one who referred me to GI for the nausea denying Paxil had anything to do with my symptoms, the second one prescribed me Buspirone Klonopin, and Trazadone ( I refused to take neither , thank God) I had feeling it still was the Paxil.

April 30th -CT everything Bc nothing was helping and miraculously found this website SA and saw every symptom I was going through.

Currently no drugs, only fish oil in the evenings. !!! 

This is me! 
I only took 4 pills as well of Lexapro! 
can you tell me what your symptoms were if you remember them?

I am two months in withdrawal and it hasn’t been easy.

i’ve learned to take one day at a time. 

I’m glad to read this story though.

Hello @Maybe,

reading your story feels good and bad at the same time but I´m very glad that you made it!

You only took 4 pills and had a recovery of 4.5 years which frightens me. I always thought my 1 year experience on paxil would be to short to have such a long road to go but I never heard that just a few pills can have such an impact on our brains. I wish you all the best and enjoy your life now !

Started Paxil on January 2016 with 40mg

June 2016 - 30 mg, July 2016 - 20 mg, August 2016 - 20 mg, September 2016 - 15 mg, October 2016 - 10mg, November 2016 - 5mg, January 2017 - 3,75mg, 22/01/2017 2,5mg, 06/02/2017 0 mg

Symptoms I still have:

Dizziness (more in waves less in windows)

Brainfog & Derealization (constantly)

Muscle spasm

Hot and cold flashes with sweating (mostly in the evening)

Nightmares with hallucinations (not that frequent anymore)

Moodswings (from happy and optimistic to depressed and sad within a minute)

Joint pain

Symptoms that are gone:Anxiety & Panic, Insomnia, Deep phases of depression, Brainzaps

Hello all,

Thank you very much for your postings!
For all that are still in the midst, just keep in mind, that it will get better eventually. Take it step by step. Waves and recovery can be very random, so it is NOT a bad sign, if a wave farther out is worse than one before.
Patience is the best remedy here, as hard as it is!

I will try to answer some of the questions that have come up below.

@getofflex:
I always wondered the same and some said back then, that it could have been. Especially, as I stopped the Remeron quite abruptly. But we will never know.

@Paxil3days:
To be honest, I cannot remember anymore. The whole episode feels like a bad dream now and I would have to read up all of my old postings to maybe see a real turning point. But I guess, as seen in my signature, that it happened around 3.5 years. Which doesn't mean that there weren't any good windows before that. There definitely were.

@Leftyhelen1117:

There were so many...I tried to write them down and I think I have come up with around 30 to 40 vastly different symptoms. From brain zaps over pain in my fingertips when touching certain materials to feeling outside my body or being highly sensitive to sound and movement. Too many to list :)

@MaggieSmalls:
Well, even small doses of drugs can have a tremendous impact depending on who takes them. I have no clue why that happened and never will. But don't be afraid because you took Paxil for a year. I had an adverse reaction and e
veryone heals differently.
When I was in the midst of it, I looked for other people's experiences (of course) and how long they took to recover. Whenever I missed their time frame, I was frustrated as hell and thought I was never going to recover. Don't do that! Everyone is different and you cannot compare yourself to others in this regard. I still did recover in the end and that is what counts :)

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

• 3 weeks later...

@Maybethanks for coming back.

How did it feel to recover? Was there a day where you felt completely "normal" or was it more a slowly process?

Overall I feel much better than I felt the last years but I still have this constant feeling of being hungover with ear preassure / noises and congnitive problems + brain fog. Thats my status quo...and some days this feels way worse than the other days and now and than it feels less. One of the hardest things besides all the symptoms is that I forgot how it feels like to be healthy...I simply cannot remember "the old me" anymore. Though I know that as time goes be we all change but its like I lost so many years already that I don´t know how which person I am when this will all end. Maybe you know what I trying to explain. Would you tell me how that feels for you now as you recoverd?

Started Paxil on January 2016 with 40mg

June 2016 - 30 mg, July 2016 - 20 mg, August 2016 - 20 mg, September 2016 - 15 mg, October 2016 - 10mg, November 2016 - 5mg, January 2017 - 3,75mg, 22/01/2017 2,5mg, 06/02/2017 0 mg

Symptoms I still have:

Dizziness (more in waves less in windows)

Brainfog & Derealization (constantly)

Muscle spasm

Hot and cold flashes with sweating (mostly in the evening)

Nightmares with hallucinations (not that frequent anymore)

Moodswings (from happy and optimistic to depressed and sad within a minute)

Joint pain

Symptoms that are gone:Anxiety & Panic, Insomnia, Deep phases of depression, Brainzaps

Thank you so much for posting this. Adverse reaction recovery stories are hard to come by. I’m very grateful to hear this. Do you still feel like your system is sensitive to things after all this time, or can you live like a relatively ‘normal’ person?

2011-2014: 25-50mg Zoloft then CT via doctors advice. Some mild physical sx but fully functioning, unaware that withdrawal was a thing. Dr didn’t know why I was chronically dizzy with brain fog & advised to try Zoloft again.

2016: severe adverse reactions to Zoloft (1 dose), Paxil (3 weeks), celexa (2 weeks), buspar (1 dose), lamictal (4 doses). Ativan 12 times within a month. Also tried Xanax & klonopin a couple times. Each reaction became more severe. Kindled. Became disabled from these meds.

Drug free 12-16-2016
Month 1-20: +5% healing every month
Month 21- present: setback to acute from amoxicillin antibiotic (1 dose)
Month 32- 11 months into setback from antibiotic. Seems I was floxed by amoxicillin somehow. Horrific.

• 2 weeks later...

hi @MaggieSmalls i can relate with you..i was on paxil for 6 months...now after 24 mnths my dizzyiess is gone but emotional symptoms are still there

• Altostrata changed the title to Maybe Lexapro adverse reaction recovery
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey just after 4 pill Oh my god. Did you also experience nightmares  or vivid dreams ?

2017 october--2018 march->(6 month) fluoxetine 20,30 mg-->cold turkey= after 2 month semen leakage

2018 july---2018 Aug-->(24 days) fluoxetine 20 mg --> cold turkey = vivid dreams begin

2018 december 2019 Jan-->(1 month) Amitriptyline 25--> cold turkey
--------++++--horror of drugs begins. Taking one after another and cold turkey-------+++------------------
2019 May--2019 May--> (12 days) Lexapro cold turkey

2019 May--2019 august -->(3 month)Cobazam 10 mg +amitriptyline 25 mg --> clobazam cold turkey

----2019 october ---> went cold turkey amitriptyline 25 mg.

2019 october--2020 Jan -->(3 months) duloxetine cymbalta 30mg --->cold turkey

2020 jan-2020 Apr--> (3 months) paroxetine 25 mg --> Cold turkey

2020 July--2021 Jan--> (6 months) amitriptyline 50 mg ,75 mg,100 mg ,125 mg -> cold turkey

2021 jan--2021 May--> (4 months) imipramine 75 mg -->cold turkey

2021 may-2021 Aug--> (3 months) nortriptyline 25 mg --> cold turkey== still semen leakage and vivid dream

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2021 at 5:07 AM, Maybe said:

Well, even small doses of drugs can have a tremendous impact depending on who takes them. I have no clue why that happened and never will. But don't be afraid because you took Paxil for a year. I had an adverse reaction and everyone heals differently.
When I was in the midst of it, I looked for other people's experiences (of course) and how long they took to recover. Whenever I missed their time frame, I was frustrated as hell and thought I was never going to recover. Don't do that! Everyone is different and you cannot compare yourself to others in this regard. I still did recover in the end and that is what counts :)

Hello, I took pristiq for about a month and had terrible side affects. Now 6 months off of the drug I still suffer from tinnitus and I never had tinnitus in my  life. I know my ears are extremely sensitive. I'm wondering if it is permanent from ototoxicity (which I didn't know about), and I am worried that the tinnitus is permanent. I am desperate to stop the ringing in my head. I also get aches in my brain daily just thinking/hearing the ringing. Every time I go on long runs it gets worse. I want to go back to before I took this sh*tty drug, because I knew it would cause me harm and Now I am worried I have to suffer for the rest of my life with a intrusive ring constantly in my head. Did tinnitus ever get better for you? I am desperate for hope that it will go away. 

November 11th 2020 - Pristiq 50mg

November 25th 2020- Cold Turkey 

February 28th 2021- Pristiq 50mg 

March 25 2021 Cold Turkey 

Pristiq Caused Permanent tinnitus from brain damage. 

Constant severe tinnitus for 9 months straight.

All from taking pristiq for 24 days. 

Hi 

I am 23 months out from a severe adverse reaction to a couple of doses. My titinittus has only just left in the last 3 months. So I wouldn't worry too much that it is permanent. 

I also never had a history of this lre reaction.

Citalopram 20mg september 23 2019 - 29th September 2019

• 7 months later...
On 7/10/2021 at 12:14 AM, Waiting12 said:

Thank you so much for posting this. Adverse reaction recovery stories are hard to come by. I’m very grateful to hear this. Do you still feel like your system is sensitive to things after all this time, or can you live like a relatively ‘normal’ person?

Are you still here? 

Immediate adverse reaction 

lexapro 5mg 3x 1/27/22, 1/28/22, 1/30/22 

Buspirone 7mg 1x 1/27/22 

last dose 1/30/2022

• 8 months later...

@Maybe Hello , I'm in a very bad place right now im 21 months past a adverse reaction from taking celexa for 3 weeks , i was doing fine almost healed i thought until the beginning of my 19th month , it went like this 

sept 2022 ~ 2 weeks intrusive thoughts , fear ect 

2 weeks of physical symptoms , chest pain , head aches , ect

1 week 95% my normal self 

NOV 2022     everyday in november has just been strange its like im back in acute with

feeling very off , getting dizzy after eating , muscle twinges , feeling like im out side of my body , vison changes , confusion , crying , i did have some headaches but they just turned into like brain jolts or something , i broke down and went to my dr uggghhh i went because i figure hey im already 20 months out maybe im not in wd anymore and the doctor said oh you have migraines ugghh i refused the medicine and im just going through these symptoms wondering can this still be withdraw ? did you have a late wave ?? whats your opinion ? please help i am so torn , ty 

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

• 1 year later...

Sorry to those whose questions I did not answer. I wasn't online very often in the past years and forgot about "my" thread here.

Now that I remembered I wanted to give an update. Unfortunately it is not a good one.

Ever since my adverse reaction to 4 pills of Lexapro, I had lingering symptoms. Very mild, though. Once in a while a feeling of losing my balance for some seconds that seemed to come my upper belly and some kind of very mild akathisia. 2 months ago I drank a coffee on an empty stomach and bang, I got real akathisia for the first time. It has been on and off for the past 8 weeks from mild to medium. One week inbetween completely without it.

If you are still in the midst of a severe reaction recovery, don't let that discourage you, though. I gradually got better and better and after around 4.5 years was close to 100% again. So even if one gets symptoms as far out as me (15 years), the body still heals to a point, where a normal life is possible again and most often completely. As the days and weeks without symptoms show me, it seems not to be something permanent.

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.