CarmelK - would like to taper off of Buproprion XL 150

CarmelK

Hi all!

I have taken Buproprion XL 150 for over 10 years to address depression and attention. I tried stopping this once before, about 7 years ago, with my dr suggesting I stop cold turkey. That method was unsuccessful. I recently spoke to my dr about tapering off this time. She prescribed 75 SR once a day for 2 months, then we will consult about the next step down. (Unless I need to make a change sooner.) I also so take Deplin 15.

This week is week 2 of the 75 SR in the AM. I’m finding myself with headaches, pretty fatigued, especially by evening. I found this website today and decided to cut my 75 pill in half and take the second half by 4 PM. 

I found the taper suggestion page for this medication. But it is all a bit overwhelming. Sounds like I may be tapering too fast for my needs, especially since I have taken this med so long.
 Thank you,

CarmelK

CarmelK

various SSRI meds over a two year period prior to the following:

Wellbutrin/Buproprion 150 XL over 10 years ago

Wellbutrin 300 XL, a few months in 2010

Wellbutrin/Buproprion 150 XL, approx. 2010

Deplin 15 - 10 years ago, approx. 2011

• Administrator

Welcome, @CarmelK

You have withdrawal symptoms. Your doctor's method is too abrupt for you. Please review Tips for tapering off buproprion (Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL)

On 6/7/2021 at 7:20 AM, CarmelK said:

This week is week 2 of the 75 SR in the AM. I’m finding myself with headaches, pretty fatigued, especially by evening. I found this website today and decided to cut my 75 pill in half and take the second half by 4 PM. 

Please let us know if 37.5mg + 37.5mg taken on a consistent schedule resolves your withdrawal symptoms over about 4 days. If not, the decrease to 75mg was too big, and you may wish to take 75mg SR in the a.m. and another half-tablet (37.5mg) 12 hours later for a daily total of 112.5mg, not as big of a decrease from 150mg.

Please be sure to let your doctor know her tapering method resulted in significant withdrawal for you.

BTW, Deplin is just folate. Eating fresh leafy greens will get you to a better place than this overpriced drug.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you Altostrata. I will check back in after a few more days.

CarmelK

various SSRI meds over a two year period prior to the following:

Wellbutrin/Buproprion 150 XL over 10 years ago

Wellbutrin 300 XL, a few months in 2010

Wellbutrin/Buproprion 150 XL, approx. 2010

Deplin 15 - 10 years ago, approx. 2011

• Administrator

Let us know if you get any alarming symptoms while you make this change.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.