SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

qualityblonde: Lexapro to valdoxan (maybe)

qualityblonde

Hello fellow travellers.

I’m tapering off lexapro after 3 years or so. I experimentally came off cold turkey for a month last year (I know, I know) but it confirmed that it was causing extreme fatigue likely due to sleep apnoea and suppression of REM. I’ve also gained 18kg, which is likely due to the metabolic and sleep affects. At this point the withdrawal symptoms were extreme sweating, headache, tears and volatile mood, hence recommencing.

Now I’ve taken the time to taper down to 2.5mg over a month. I tried to drop directly off at 2.5mg, while starting valdoxan immediately but 3 days in the vertigo and headaches floored me. I gave it a week and restarted at 2.5mg. I’m still waiting for the vertigo to lift (been 2 days) and woah have I noticed some intense hunger. 

I’ll try and taper more slowly now (month by month step down to 0), and hold off the valdoxan (I stopped it a few days in wondering if it was the cause of the dizziness) until I’m well and truely clear of the lexapro.

Thanks in advance for your support!

Edited by Gridley
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, qualityblonde.  Congratulations on getting down to 2.5mg Lexapro.  I tapered from 20mg Lexapro to 0.025mg then jumped to zero 7 months ago and am doing fine.  You can do the same.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

As you likely know, we recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The following link is specifically about tapering Lexapro, including how to get the small nonstandard doses needed for a 10% taper.  If you can get prescription liquid Lexapro, that's a convenient and accurate way to taper.  Other methods of tapering, including weighing tablet powder with a digital scale and making your own liquid, are also discussed in the link.

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Others may differ, but I'm not a big fan of drug switches for tapering unless absolutely necessary.  A drug switch necessitates a crossover period and stopping your taper during that period, and there's no way to know how the new drug will agree with you, especially with a system sensitized from withdrawal.  Switching to Valdoxan will mean going into withdrawal from Lexapro, and the Valdoxan may or may not mask the withdrawal from the Lexapro.   So it's a risk.  Shep, one of our administrators, recently wrote:

"We rarely suggest crossing over drugs other than sometimes suggesting the Prozac Bridge or sometimes suggesting a benzo crossover to Valium, but still, this is rare."

Lexapro (as I'm here to tell you) is definitely do-able in terms of tapering.  I know you've had some side effects from the Lexapro, but to me the risks of switching to another antidepressant (and of a different type than Lexapro, atypical AD Valdoxan vs. SSRI Lexapro) outweigh any potential benefits.  

We recommend tapering down to the low .00's before jumping to zero.  As I said, I jumped at 0.025mg.  Even lower (such as 0.01) would also be good.  The very low doses are measurable using the prescription liquid and also with the other methods of tapering discussed in the link above.

So you can benefit from other members' experiences, here is a link on tapering Valdovan.

Marx: Tapering Valdoxan / Agomelatine - Introductions and ...

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Gridley changed the title to quality blonde: Lexapro to valdoxan (maybe)

Thanks Gridley! 

I’m definitely pro supplements and take magnesium and fish oil daily. 

The dizziness is really starting to get me down so I hope that it resolves quickly now I’ve reinstated. I’ll look into liquid dosing as well. I’ve never heard of that as an option before. 

Hi everyone, small rant ahead.

I'm at 2.5mg and finding it hard to gauge accuracy given I'm weighing and chopping the 10mg.

Originally I dropped off completely from 2.5mg but had to reinstate after week of unbearable vertigo. It's been 6 days back on 2.5 mg and while I'm feeling fuzzy and headache-y and tired in the morning the dizziness isn't as bad so that's a huge plus.

Anyway I just had a telephone appointment to get a script for the lexapro liquid and the GP was so dismissive. Her exact words 'oh you don't need to be that precise, are you sure this isn't your anxiety/OCD tendencies coming back worrying about these little things'. Grrrr. Luckily I finally talked her around by pointing out that the RCPsych support tapering by 1/10th or even 1/20th of a dose. 

Now I need to go and look at the advice for liquid dosing and also buy some smaller syringes. 

• Mentor
On 6/14/2021 at 1:28 AM, qualityblonde said:

Hi everyone, small rant ahead.

I'm at 2.5mg and finding it hard to gauge accuracy given I'm weighing and chopping the 10mg.

Originally I dropped off completely from 2.5mg but had to reinstate after week of unbearable vertigo. It's been 6 days back on 2.5 mg and while I'm feeling fuzzy and headache-y and tired in the morning the dizziness isn't as bad so that's a huge plus.

Anyway I just had a telephone appointment to get a script for the lexapro liquid and the GP was so dismissive. Her exact words 'oh you don't need to be that precise, are you sure this isn't your anxiety/OCD tendencies coming back worrying about these little things'. Grrrr. Luckily I finally talked her around by pointing out that the RCPsych support tapering by 1/10th or even 1/20th of a dose. 

Now I need to go and look at the advice for liquid dosing and also buy some smaller syringes. 

Watch this and read description please

- Escitalopram 10mg from ages 15 - 21

- Severe crash after 4 month taper to 0

- Reinstated, stabilized, slowly tapering.

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." - Hellen Keller

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 6/13/2021 at 11:28 PM, qualityblonde said:

If you're switching from tablet to liquid form, we recommend a gradual crossover to acclimate yourself to the liquid, as follows:

3/4 dose tablet, 1/4 dose liquid for 3 to 7 days

1/2, 1/2 for 2 to 7 days

1/4 dose tablet, 3/4 dose liquid for 3 to 7 days

all liquid thereafter

Don't taper during the crossover (only one change at a time).  Resume tapering after you've made the crossover.

In terms of when to jump to zero, we recommend getting down to the low .00's before jumping.  I tapered down to 0.025mg Lexapro before I jumped.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Gridley. I am safely settled on the liquid at a dose of 2mg. No dizziness but a little tired and headache-y still. The problem I have now is I'm stuck because the concentration is 300mg/15ml or 20mg/1ml ('20 drops'). So I can easily dose 1mg or 2mg but nothing in between. How on earth can I measure uL outside the science lab??

image.png.0df22e45ca8d02d9cfb286c2c8f65283.png

ETA. 1.5ml/drops is just there for calculation, there is no way to measure 'half a drop' from the bottle.

Edited by qualityblonde
  • Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, qualityblonde said:

How on earth can I measure uL outside the science lab??

I have brought your question to the attention of the other staff.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

• Moderator Emeritus

@qualityblonde

Previous 5 posts moved to your intro topic to keep your history all in one place.  Please post all your questions about your personal situation in this one thread to avoid confusion and duplication of effort.  Thank you.  

I'm also tapering using the liquid Lexapro, but fortunately commercial Lexapro liquid in the USA is 1 ml of liquid contains 1 mg Lexapro, so that's easy.  

So if I understand you correctly, 1 ml of your liquid contains 20 mg of Lexapro active ingredient.  You could possibly dilute it with distilled water, and then measure this.  If it were me, I would buy some distilled water, and get a couple of empty amber liquid bottles from your local pharmacy.  Wash out these bottles and let them dry.  Then, in a clean container, measure out 19 ml of distilled water.  Add to this 1 ml of your liquid Lexapro, and mix well.  Pour it in the amber bottle and store in the refrigerator.  This will be much easier to measure.  1 ml of the liquid would contain 1 mg of the Lexapro.  Shake it each time you are about to take it.  You can get small 1 ml syringes from amazon that measure in increments of 0.01 ml.  It will allow you to measure your dose precisely.  I don't know what the shelf life of this liquid would be.  Take a look at this link for further information.  

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Edited by Gridley
tag member

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey qualityblonde, and welcome aboard,

On 6/10/2021 at 4:08 AM, qualityblonde said:

Now I’ve taken the time to taper down to 2.5mg over a month. I tried to drop directly off at 2.5mg, while starting valdoxan immediately but 3 days in the vertigo and headaches floored me. I gave it a week and restarted at 2.5mg. I’m still waiting for the vertigo to lift (been 2 days) and woah have I noticed some intense hunger. 

One way, and something we ask all newbies to do, is to sum up your medication history, and tapers, in a signature which is different from the profile information that you originally gave to register here.  Once completed the signature will appear below all your posts and is very helpful.  Please see, and follow the instructions in this link:
How to list Drug History in Signature

And just a thought, or if it was me, I might be content to settle in at 2.5 mg of Lexapro, given the possible large reductions, that have already taken place, and the rapid switch from a tablet to a liquid formulation of your drug.

*(this being said from a fellow Lexapro survivor, who made the mistake of going from a 5 mg tablet dose of Lexapro to liquid Lexapro without a crossover, and then going down to 4 mg when I started liquid, to 3 mg and then into the hospital voluntarily, once the severe acute WD(withdrawal) set in.  Which happened to me in a matter of days to a week.   Because I did not know any better at that time.  Nor did the hospital recognize my acute Lexapro WD.  Came here 6 months after that, and then succeeded in tapering off the drugs started in the hospital.  Slowly, and successfully I might add.)

Glad you are not going onto yet another drug.  And a couple more links for your reference now, from my personal favorites on site:
The rule of 3 KIS: Keep it simple, slow, and stable

What is withdrawal syndrome?

(nice video in the first post ^)

How psych drugs remodel your brain

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

( you'll be able to download the PDF of common symptoms of WD, from the first post ^, and take a look)

Best quality blonde......LOL versus inequality blonde or bottle blonde......doesn't matter, great user name!

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

yet another moderator manymoretodays(mmt)

Oh, you are down in the low range of plasma concentration now, for Lexapro.......you don't want to risk it going too fast now.  In fact you'll want to slow down considerably with your tapers from here on out, once you've maintained some stability, or WD stability for some time, i.e. several months on the same dose. 

For scientific data supporting very gradual tapering, see Horowitz, 2019 Tapering of SSRI treatment to mitigate withdrawal symptoms 

This paper is based on the concepts discussed in our topic Why taper? Paper demonstrates importance of gradual change in plasma concentration referring to Meyer, 2004 and other research into SERT transporter occupancy.

^ from:  Why taper by 10% of my dosage

Edited by manymoretodays
more, always more

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

On 6/14/2021 at 12:28 AM, qualityblonde said:

Anyway I just had a telephone appointment to get a script for the lexapro liquid and the GP was so dismissive. Her exact words 'oh you don't need to be that precise, are you sure this isn't your anxiety/OCD tendencies coming back worrying about these little things'.

@qualityblonde, oh I love it when they say that. Heard it so many times, it doesn't even surprise or anger me anymore. But you seem to have been able to get what you need so that is good!

My thread: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24990-surviving82-my-story-wd-from-antidepressants-please-help/

2016-2017: sertraline for approx. 1.5 years for anxiety and OCD outbreak following birth of my son (all the way from 2mg to 200mg), rapid tapered from 150mg for about 6 weeks without issues. Approximately 2 years psych drug free.

Nov 2019 - Feb 2020: fluvoxamine to prevent anxiety/OCD outbreak following birth of my daughter. Had to go off due to constant somnolence.

Feb 2020 - Dec 2020: started escitalopram while rapid tapering fluvoxamine. After 9 months decided to get off due to weight gain, rapid tapered from [I think] 15mg for about 6 weeks without immediate issues.

March-April 2021: started excessive strenuous exercise and dieting regimen for weight loss. Was doing great (or so I thought) for 3 weeks until early April 2021 when out of nowhere massive panic attacks, other dysautonomia symptoms. AWFUL CRASH.   

Mid-April 2021: fluoxetine 10mg for 1 week then 20mg for 1 week. Massive side effects, suicidality. Was told to go CT. Side effects gradually started resolving.

Mid-Late May 2021: sertraline for 11 days, fine at low doses but same side effects as prozac at 25 to 50mg. Was told to either drop CT or hold at 1/4 of a 25mg pill. 

April-May 2021: trazodone 50mg PRN for sleep. Do not take every day, the only side effect I noticed is dry mouth.

June 8, 2021: stopped all psych meds. Truing to trust that with God's help, my body will heal on its own. 

September 9, 2021: reinstated escitalopram 1mg. Gradually worked up to 2.5mg by September 30. Reinstatement seems to be helping!

Other: Hashimoto thyroiditis for 11 years (on levothyroxine varying doses, between 88mcg and 125mcg), history of anxiety/GAD including health anxiety, OCD. History of autonomic dysfunction (migraines, vasovagal episodes).

On 6/14/2021 at 12:28 AM, qualityblonde said:

@qualityblonde, I too was on lexapro for about 9 months. I had no idea about WD or slow tapering, so I just cut 2.5mg each week. Since I was on 15mg, it took me 6 weeks to get off. I jumped at the last 2.5mg. Believe it or not, I had absolutely no noticeable side effects either during taper or during the next 3 months. Not even brain zaps, which I fully expected after my experience with zoloft. However, after about the 3 months mark off the meds I decided to lose weight, and started subjecting myself to extreme dieting and running regimen. It was seriously extreme, I run so much every day that it was hard to get up the next day as my body hurt so bad. I now know that mental and physical stress was too much for my still sensitive nervous system after lexapro and I crashed and get bad WD. Am dealing with it for the past almost 3 months, although it did get significantly better. But, my point is: it is very much worth it to taper correctly. Let the GP laugh at you or whatever, but it is what it is. It is likely going to save you lots of headaches down the road. I wish I found this website before all this happened. Good luck to you my friend. You will be okay!!!

My thread: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24990-surviving82-my-story-wd-from-antidepressants-please-help/

2016-2017: sertraline for approx. 1.5 years for anxiety and OCD outbreak following birth of my son (all the way from 2mg to 200mg), rapid tapered from 150mg for about 6 weeks without issues. Approximately 2 years psych drug free.

Nov 2019 - Feb 2020: fluvoxamine to prevent anxiety/OCD outbreak following birth of my daughter. Had to go off due to constant somnolence.

Feb 2020 - Dec 2020: started escitalopram while rapid tapering fluvoxamine. After 9 months decided to get off due to weight gain, rapid tapered from [I think] 15mg for about 6 weeks without immediate issues.

March-April 2021: started excessive strenuous exercise and dieting regimen for weight loss. Was doing great (or so I thought) for 3 weeks until early April 2021 when out of nowhere massive panic attacks, other dysautonomia symptoms. AWFUL CRASH.   

Mid-April 2021: fluoxetine 10mg for 1 week then 20mg for 1 week. Massive side effects, suicidality. Was told to go CT. Side effects gradually started resolving.

Mid-Late May 2021: sertraline for 11 days, fine at low doses but same side effects as prozac at 25 to 50mg. Was told to either drop CT or hold at 1/4 of a 25mg pill. 

April-May 2021: trazodone 50mg PRN for sleep. Do not take every day, the only side effect I noticed is dry mouth.

June 8, 2021: stopped all psych meds. Truing to trust that with God's help, my body will heal on its own. 

September 9, 2021: reinstated escitalopram 1mg. Gradually worked up to 2.5mg by September 30. Reinstatement seems to be helping!

Other: Hashimoto thyroiditis for 11 years (on levothyroxine varying doses, between 88mcg and 125mcg), history of anxiety/GAD including health anxiety, OCD. History of autonomic dysfunction (migraines, vasovagal episodes).

• Altostrata changed the title to qualityblonde: Lexapro to valdoxan (maybe)
  • Administrator

Hello, @qualityblonde

You've gotten excellent advice from @Gridley, @getofflex, and @manymoretodays about using the liquid to taper. 

Please be aware this is a site for going off drugs. If you intend to switch drugs, that is what you pay your doctor for. If he or she doesn't seem to know how to do this -- well, you should take that as a sign that your doctor's knowledge of these drugs is rather shallow. But getting you onto another drug is not our responsibility.

Good luck with your taper off Lexapro.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.