Stevie: Tapered off Seroquel, tapering off Lexapro

Stevie

Ended taper of 50mg Seroquel Feb.9 2021. Currently tapering off 20 mg Lexapro, to be completed June 18 2021. Serious insomnia when off the Seroquel. Pushing on.

Edited by Gridley

Seroquel 50, January 2013- February 2021

Lexapro 20, January 2013-June 2021.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Stevie.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Please include the date you started 20mg, Lexapro, the date you started your Lexapro taper, and your taper rate.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

For tapering off psychiatric drugs, we recommend a harm reduction approach, which means a slow, conservative taper.  It appears that you're tapering Lexapro very fast.  Some people can taper fast with slight or even no withdrawal symptoms, and some cannot and experience severe and long-lasting withdrawal symptoms. There are no reliable figures as to percentages, and there's no way to predict into which camp anyone will fall. Thus, we advise tapering very slowly, with the option of speeding up gradually if you find your system can take it.  The key is listening to your body rather than adhering to a set schedule.  

Our recommendation is to taper by no more than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.  This link provides details and also details about how to speed up your taper if you find your system can tolerate it.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The following link is specifically about tapering Lexapro, which is by far the strongest SSRI on the market.  I recently finished a slow taper off 20mg Lexapro and am doing fine.  

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Other than insomnia, do you have any other symptoms?  Here is some information on withdrawal and the healing process.  

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Gridley changed the title to Stevie: Tapered off Seroquel, tapering off Lexapro
  • 6 months later...

Off both Lexapro(20 mg) and Seroquel(50mg).  Main problem is severe insomnia. Most of my sleep is from about 6am-1030am.  I did have some insomnia the last two years on the drugs. But this current insomnia is unreal. I was told I rushed the Lexapro taper at only four months. Would going back on Lexapro correct the insomnia?  I was originally put on both drugs in early 2013 due to stress nervous breakdown, major depressive disorder. One reason I got off the Seroquel was due to prostate issues: Seroquel is contraindicated for prostate issues. I am seeing a new doctor tomorrow for advice. Has anyone had luck with these issues by treating their adrenals and or thyroid? Thanks.

Dear @Stevie

thank you for the update. I have moved your new post to your original intro topic. Each person gets one intro topic on SA. It helps us keep track of each member's progress and situation. 

Can you please make your signature a bit clearer  - it should include only dates and doses of medicines and supplements - no explanation of why or how. I am not clear when you were completely off of the medicines. Knowing this would impact our advice on whether to reinstate or not. Please also list any other supplements or psychoactive substances - alcohol, pot, etc. that may impact your withdrawal. 

How to List Drug History in Signature - Introductions and updates - Surviving Antidepressants

Also have a look at this link. It may help you make a decision on whether to reinstate or not. 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

Hope your insomnia improves soon, it is really hard to live with it. 

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• 11 months later...

Dates and dosages: 50 mg Seroquel began January 2013. 20mg Lexapro began January 2013. Tapered off Seroquel December 2020 to February 2021. Tapered off Lexapro February 2020 to June 2021.. Pretty severe insomnia issues post tapers.  Dealing with significant depression and some anxiety.. 

• Moderator Emeritus

@Stevie , are you off all psychiatric drugs? Are you currently taking any supplements? 

We don't recommend a lot of supplements, as many members report their nervous systems are simply too fragile to handle them. However, magnesium and fish oil tend to be calming to the nervous system and many people report they do help. Please only add in one supplement at a time and at a small dose. For more, please see:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

You may find some tips for helping the insomnia in this thread:

Tips to help sleep: so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia