ScotsLass 600mg to 300mg venlafaxine - can't be right?

ScotsLass

Hi,

After two weeks of feeling like I was having a constant heart attack (and my GP saying it was probably just anxiety over the phone) I realised that I'd been taking 600mg a day instead of 300mg. I normally get two 150mg pills but it changed to one 300mg a few weeks ago and I didn't realise, so kept taking two tablets. 

I ended up in Accident and Emergency after realising what happened. All my bloods and ecg came back fine but I do have an elevated heart rate. A&E said I need to drop straight down to 300mg and that I won't experience withdrawals. 

As someone who has attempted to taper gradually in the past and found it intolerable, I find this suggestion ridiculous. I'm terrified of the next few days to find out what withdrawals are like, especially during the weekend. Not sure whether to try and seek more specific advice before the weekend or if I'm over reacting??? 

-Been taking Venlafaxine since mid 2017 after a range of other anti depressants didn't 'help'. Looking to reduce to nothing. 

- Currently taking 225mg Venlafaxine XR, reduced from 300mg in July 2021. 

- June 2021 pharmacy mistake meant I took 600mg Venlafaxine a day for two weeks. Severe reaction and withdrawal down to 300mg. 

-April-September 2019 reduced from 300mg Venlafaxine to 0mg. Horrific withdrawals during 75mg to 0mg. Was told I was on lowest dose & fine to come off by psychiatry. Couldn't move, severe depression etc. 

-Jan 2019-April 2019 reduced from 100mg mirtazapine and remained on 300mg Venlafaxine. 

• Altostrata changed the title to ScotsLass 600mg to 300mg venlafaxine - can't be right?
  • Administrator

Welcome, @ScotsLass

Yes, you probably can go right down to 300mg. You're taking so much, it's caused serious cardiac symptoms. If you take a dosage for less than a month, the risk of withdrawal is low.

However, you had a severe adverse reaction to excessive dosage, and it may take a while for your system to settle down.

300mg is still a very high dosage of venlafaxine. It's possible you'll find it difficult to tolerate. Please let us know how you're doing.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.