ManxKnob: hello world

ManxKnob

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for your update @ManxKnob--Hang in there.  I feel confident that these symptoms will improve.  (Certainly the long amount of time this can take seems highly unreasonable to me--but time seems to be often what it takes.)

💜Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

52 minutes ago, arbor said:

Thanks for your update @ManxKnob-- (Certainly the long amount of time this can take seems highly unreasonable to me--but time seems to be often what it takes.)

💜Arbor

Yes - to be fair there has been changes and windows and waves.

I’m not expecting a complete recovery back to my old perfect hearing but certainly some improvement. Which will allow me not be distracted and tortured on a bad day…..

History in reverse order: this was updated 30 March 2023

2008 Originally prescribed Mirtazipine (Remeron) for insomnia and slight GAD after previous Citalopram did nothing. Mirtazapine 30mg -> 15mg->7.5->over 9 year period

2017 Cold Turkeyed at 7.5mg-> Hospsitalized. Mirtazapine reinstated by Psych->Tapered to Zero over 2 year. Currently still in WITHDRAWAL symptoms originating from Mirtazipine

2017 -2020 Psychiatrist tried Pregablin - Amiltriptyline - Sertraline - Trazodone - Olanzipine high doses of ibuprofen for short periods to help with WD. Also used Diazepam briefly for crippling WD anxiety.

2020-22 Prescribed Duloxetine for headaches (Cymbalta).  Originally 60mg -> 30mg ->Tapered off completely over this period and now medication free. 

Occasionally using Zopiclone 3.5mg for sleep issues - otherwise medication free. Paracetamol when needed.

Current symptoms: dizziness - hyperacusis - headaches - tiredness - easily fatigued - tinnitus - poor concentration - early morning awakening.

Mirtazipine appears to be the main cause for auditory / tinnitus / dizziness / hyperacusis issues. Otherwise perfect health.

Supplements Taken -> see attached PDF of supplements

Vitamin Audit.pdf

• Moderator Emeritus

I hesitate to mention supplement use that hasn't been tested extensively.  Also, our tinnitus is probably not the same as non-chemically caused hearing problems.  I can say that I notice a difference--some quieting--with the use of melatonin and taurine.   I take them at bedtime.

@ManxKnob

The effect of supplemental dietary taurine on tinnitus and auditory discrimination in an animal model

Affiliations expand
Free PMC article

Abstract

Loss of central inhibition has been hypothesized to underpin tinnitus and impact auditory acuity. Taurine, a partial agonist at inhibitory glycine and γ-amino butyric acid receptors, was added to the daily diet of rats to examine its effects on chronic tinnitus and normal auditory discrimination. Eight rats were unilaterally exposed once to a loud sound to induce tinnitus. The rats were trained and tested in an operant task shown to be sensitive to tinnitus. An equivalent unexposed control group was run in parallel. Months after exposure, 6 of the exposed rats showed significant evidence of chronic tinnitus. Two concentrations of taurine in drinking water were given over several weeks (attaining average daily doses of 67 mg/kg and 294 mg/kg). Water consumption was unaffected. Three main effects were obtained: (1) The high taurine dose significantly attenuated tinnitus, which returned to near pre-treatment levels following washout. (2) Auditory discrimination was significantly improved in unexposed control rats at both doses. (3) As indicated by lever pressing, taurine at both doses had a significant group-equivalent stimulant effect. These results are consistent with the hypothesis that taurine attenuates tinnitus and improves auditory discrimination by increasing inhibitory tone and decreasing noise in the auditory pathway.

Copyright © 2010 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

• Moderator Emeritus

Best wishes, Arbor

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/29/2022 at 4:58 PM, getofflex said:

This person had tinnitus throughout withdrawal and now he is recovered and the tinnitus is gone.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24768-dabro-2-years-not-2-weeks-pfizer-but-finally-healed/#comment-531268

Just read this link through again and could not really see anything suggesting the Tinnitus  recovery or did I miss something?  I have noted the Taurine and Melatonin suggestions... 

I still have the head pressure and Tinnitus with hyperacusis......Any help would be gratefully received....

Many thanks....

2008 Originally prescribed Mirtazipine (Remeron) for insomnia and slight GAD after previous Citalopram did nothing. Mirtazapine 30mg -> 15mg->7.5->over 9 year period

2017 Cold Turkeyed at 7.5mg-> Hospsitalized. Mirtazapine reinstated by Psych->Tapered to Zero over 2 year. Currently still in WITHDRAWAL symptoms originating from Mirtazipine

2017 -2020 Psychiatrist tried Pregablin - Amiltriptyline - Sertraline - Trazodone - Olanzipine high doses of ibuprofen for short periods to help with WD. Also used Diazepam briefly for crippling WD anxiety.

2020-22 Prescribed Duloxetine for headaches (Cymbalta).  Originally 60mg -> 30mg ->Tapered off completely over this period and now medication free. 

Occasionally using Zopiclone 3.5mg for sleep issues - otherwise medication free. Paracetamol when needed.

Current symptoms: dizziness - hyperacusis - headaches - tiredness - easily fatigued - tinnitus - poor concentration - early morning awakening.

Mirtazipine appears to be the main cause for auditory / tinnitus / dizziness / hyperacusis issues. Otherwise perfect health.

Vitamin Audit.pdf

• Moderator Emeritus
On 5/3/2021 at 4:18 AM, DaBro said:

Tinnitus and Insomnia were present throughout, especially waking in the middle of the night for 2-3 hours.

Later on says 

On 5/3/2021 at 4:18 AM, DaBro said:

It’s now 30 months and the only thing I get is the odd tremor and head pain an hour before bed and an hour after waking. I can manage that and know it goes in an hour or so, though I suspect it may be a while.

I see you are using CBD oil.  We suggest you do not do this.  Please take the Taurine suggestion with a grain of salt - we don't recommend that.  

Cannabis, Marijuana, CBD, THC, etc

The only supplements we recommend are omega-3 and magnesium.  Other supplements can have unpredictable effects on persons in withdrawal.  St John's wort is another supplement that acts like an antidepressant and acts on serotonin, and this could also be causing you problems.  I suggest you taper off of this.  You might try cutting back by 25%, and see how you feel.  I would taper off by 25% at a time, waiting until I felt stable to do another taper.  

St John's Wort

Tapering St John's Wort

You have recently tapered off of Cymbalta.  I can't tell from your drug signature when you jumped off Cymbalta, but it looks like you did a pretty fast taper, faster than we suggest.  Is 29/11/22 the date you started the taper, or the date you finished and jumped off?  Please clarify your signature.   I also don't see any dates for your other psych drugs.  Please add more specific dates of when you did these tapers. 

It takes a lot of time for the nervous system to sort itself out after tapering off psych drugs, especially when we taper off too quickly and there are multiple psych drugs involved.  Time and patience are the keys to healing.  

Please read 

How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?  

And, 

On 9/18/2021 at 1:42 PM, brassmonkey said:

Trusting that your body knows what needs to be done to heal and will do it naturally is one of the hardest parts of doing this. The amount of trust that we have to have is amazing and the ability to accept what happens and move through it, even if it isn't what we had planned, is equally so. We have all been taught to think things  through and do what we think is best, but sometimes our logic gets the best of us. We can think too much and see too many sides of the coin.

To me ADWD is proof that nature is in control despite what we think. In most cases we have to get out of the way and let it happen. We may want a specific outcome by next weekend, but the choice isn't ours. If our body wants to heal in that direction by them it may happen, but usually it needs to do something else, which it knows is more important for the healing process. It doesn't really care what our weekend plans are, but rather knows what it needs to do to heal.

Giving up that control is very hard because we think about the problem too much.

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• Mentor

@getofflexis right. Magnesium Glycinate and omega 3 only. 

St John’s wort made me almost psychotic and CBD emptied my wallet and made my stools soggy. 

for tinnitus, distraction is the best medicine. Some music, a podcast or a walk in the park. 

50 mg Sertraline Nov 2016 to Dec 2016

100 mg Sertraline Jan - March 2017

50 mg Sertraline April - June 2017

25 mg Sertraline July 2017 - Sept 2018

12.5 mg Sertraline Oct 2018

0 mg Nov 1 2018

Thank you so much DaBro and Getofflex.  I have not tagged you directly as I see your preference.

I have updated my signature and also included a PDF of my current supplements or ones I have tried. The links you have provided are very helpful and I have noted your advice on CBD and St. Johns Wort. Also under scrutiny is alcohol. Although I do not drink much if at all I treat alcohol as the enemy of a stabilising / recovering  CNS.

I did taper from Duloxetine but it was probably rather rapid. I did not appear to suffer much in the way of ill effects but these could be masked from the original withdrawal issues. The other medications listed were just tried and swapped by well meaning Psychiatrists - I can't recall if there was any taper as they were short term.

The head symptoms for me, are now the worst aspect. Tinnitus I can cope with but when combined with disassociation / giddiness and hyperacusis it is debilitating.

However I note your advice but these symptoms have impacted on my ability to work or resume normal life's activities.

I remain upbeat about some improvement.

Your responses and advice are much appreciated and important to me as I am pretty much alone on this recovery journey with no medical support other than this group.

Note: I have tried to update my profile on the left panel (visible to staff) but can't find a way to do it - can you advise on this if necessary?

Thanks again...

Vitamin Audit.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

@DaBro - sorry to tag you directly and hope this is not illegal on this occasion but wonder if my reply was missed. I have updated the supplements I am taking in my signature and as mentioned in my previous post and hope this answers some of the points that were raised.

Thank you in advance...

Vitamin Audit.pdf

• Mentor

Hi @ManxKnob  I don’t come on here much so missed your post. Congratulations on being med free. I can’t comment on your supplements other than what I already said. There is no magic silver bullet supplement. I will leave you under getoflex’s guidance. 

50 mg Sertraline Nov 2016 to Dec 2016

100 mg Sertraline Jan - March 2017

50 mg Sertraline April - June 2017

25 mg Sertraline July 2017 - Sept 2018

12.5 mg Sertraline Oct 2018

0 mg Nov 1 2018

Thank you….

I await further responses.

Currently in the middle of what might be a “wave”. Increases Tinnitus and upset gastro behaviour and generally feeling rough. 

Vitamin Audit.pdf