Foxclover6: Cold turkey Lexparo 10 mg

Foxclover6

I took lexparo for 1.5 years, I quit taking it regularly a few months ago and started break my 10 mg into 5 mg every other day, [ I know] =/. Then when I attempted to take 10, had a bad reaction , burning allover, quit entirely 11 days ago. 

my doctor knows, I have an appointment on Monday to discuss what now, I started messing with my dosage because for these few months prior I had alot of heart tests,  and I sort of freaked out and thought my medication might be effecting my ekg. In the end, I just have a normal variant difference,  with no actual heart issue.  

My symptoms have been, tired, light headed and sort of sad, I haven't been really bad so far and would like to ask for help in maybe keeping to this being gone from my life.  I know it was unwise not to taper.  Any opinions would be appreciated,  especially if you've successfully cold tapered.

- 10 mg lexparo 1.5 years

- ativan for panic 0.5 , never more than once daily and not everyday for 4 years.

-cold turkeyed in June 5 of 2021.

Buspar a few days and had severe muscle pain. July 26, 27, then 30 of 2021.

Also, to be put at some ease for developing alkathesia or severe symptoms would be appreciated,  I dont feel bad today,  just tired. I haven't been having any brain zaps. 

- ativan for panic 0.5 , never more than once daily and not everyday for 4 years.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  I suggest you be very careful with starting on any new psych meds, or making any drastic reinstatements to the Lexapro.  Most doctors tend to want to do this, and it often just makes the problem worse.  Please bounce it off of us before you do so.  Read on to understand why.  

Have you had any adverse (side) effects while taking the Lexapro?  We do not recommend skipping doses for any reason.  

Never Skip Doses to Taper

First of all, can you please give us specific information about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise list (no symptoms), only drug names, specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Also, as we are recovering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. This is extremely important. 

Considerations About Stability Stop Jumping Around

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

We could talk about the possibility of a reinstatement, but first, I need a complete and detailed drug history as requested above.  This is temporary, and after stabilizing you would then taper gradually off of this.  There is some risk involved, and we need more specifics about your drug history before we can suggest a good dose at which to reinstate.  Here is some information about reinstatement.   Please read this link: 

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Please read through it, and mull it over, and we will take it from there. In the meantime, take care of yourself, and take heart.  We in this forum have been through this, and we understand first hand the pain and discomfort you are going through.  Please know that the brain is amazing in it's healing abilities.  It takes time, but healing can and will happen. 

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• getofflex changed the title to Foxclover6: Cold turkey lexparo 10 mg

10 mg lexparo, last year.5

Ativan 0.5 for panic attacks 

If and when I took the ativan I only took half of the 0.5 and never exceeded a daily dose. 

Currently I am taking nothing. It has been 11 days since lexparo and a week since my last 0.025 ativan.  I break them up, I dont like them, they do help. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi @Foxclover6, can you please add your drug history signature by following the instructions linked above? This really helps the mods be able to get a better picture of drug changes and timeline. 

On 6/20/2021 at 11:23 AM, Foxclover6 said:

started break my 10 mg into 5 mg every other day, [ I know] =/. Then when I attempted to take 10, had a bad reaction , burning allover, quit entirely 11 days ago. 

It sounds like you had experienced a combination of variable dose changes (which confuses the nervous system and neuro receptors) as well as a kindling reaction. We do not advise a cold turkey stopping of these medications for many reasons, and one of the risks could be Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome which can appear weeks to months after stopping the drug. 

Can you give more details about this statement: “when I attempted to take 10, had a bad reaction”? was this an attempt to take 10 mg every day after doing 10 and 5 mg for some time? Or was this just one time that you took 10 mg as part of your 10-5 dose pattern? 

The mods are trying to determine if a dose reinstatement would be appropriate for you since you are only 11 days off. This would be the only way to avoid post acute withdrawal. You would stabilize at a lower dose (perhaps 5 mg or less) and then taper using the 10% per month rule. Did you have any adverse effects for the 1.5 years you were taking Lexapro? 

Apr 2018: Began 10 mg Amitriptyline (for headaches & insomnia from concussion).

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

I have been taking it without a solid pattern,I took 5mg,the. Skipped a day, then took 10 and had the reaction.  I just had an appointment,  my psych does not want me taking the lex now and prescribed me prozac,so am I totally screwed now ? Please respond soon as possible,  I dont know whether to even fill it.   I know it's not good to go from 1 to another.  

10 mg lexparo, last year.5

Ativan 0.5 for panic attacks 

If and when I took the ativan I only took half of the 0.5 and never exceeded a daily dose. 

Currently I am taking nothing. It has been 11 days since lexparo and a week since my last 0.025 ativan. 

I asked if I could maybe start at a low dose of lexapro to try and reinstate but he didn't like the idea due to the so called reaction so now I have the script for prozac and that's where I'm at.  

Feel like im swimming through drift wood in the ocean against the current. =[ haha

• Administrator

Welcome, @Foxclover6

What are your current symptoms?

We know that 10mg is definitely too high, now that your system is sensitized by withdrawal. If I were you, I'd request liquid Lexapro and reinstate 1mg to test the waters. This may be enough to reduce your withdrawal symptoms.

Did you start to have panic attacks after you initiated Lexapro?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 6/22/2021 at 6:16 PM, Altostrata said:

Welcome, @Foxclover6

We know that 10mg is definitely too high, now that your system is sensitized by withdrawal. If I were you, I'd request liquid Lexapro and reinstate 1mg to test the waters. This may be enough to reduce your withdrawal symptoms.

My current symptoms are light headed , and just feel a bit odd, crying here and there but no zaps, no extremes 

• Administrator

How's your sleep?

If sleep is okay, it appears your withdrawal symptoms are mild. You may want to leave well enough alone.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

On 6/22/2021 at 6:16 PM, Altostrata said:

Welcome, @Foxclover6

I did yes, I started getting burning from head to toe, bad in the chest and legs. This was when I tried to resume it, so I stopped entirely . Any idea why that would cause intense burning ? I've read other people having this reaction but it was intolerable for me. 

• Administrator

You got panic attacks and burning when you initiated Lexapro 1.5 years ago?

(Please add date you started each drug to your signature.)

No, so I had been taking it inconsistently over the past few months, and then I tried to take a full 10 as i had been previously for a year and a half, and when I did I had a strange reaction.  I had been inconsistent because u was having tests done for my heart and it scared me and so I'd been breaking the pill into 5 mg and taking jt every other day, not a wise choice of course.  Then when I had the reaction. I stopped, and that was 2 weeks ago. 

On 6/24/2021 at 8:37 PM, Altostrata said:

How's your sleep?

If sleep is okay, it appears your withdrawal symptoms are mild. You may want to leave well enough alone.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

My sleep has been good, I've been taking melatonin and sleeping full 8 hours. 

• Administrator
18 hours ago, Foxclover6 said:

No, so I had been taking it inconsistently over the past few months, and then I tried to take a full 10 as i had been previously for a year and a half, and when I did I had a strange reaction.  I had been inconsistent because u was having tests done for my heart and it scared me and so I'd been breaking the pill into 5 mg and taking jt every other day, not a wise choice of course.  Then when I had the reaction. I stopped, and that was 2 weeks ago. 

You are describing withdrawal symptoms from inconsistent dosing.

Please let us know how you're doing. If your symptoms get worse, you may wish to consider low-dose reinstatement.

Please add the date you started each drug to your signature.

6 hours ago, Altostrata said:

You are describing withdrawal symptoms from inconsistent dosing.

Please let us know how you're doing. If your symptoms get worse, you may wish to consider low-dose reinstatement.

Please add the date you started each drug to your signature.

The burning? Well either way,  here I am.   Can't go back now. He prescribed me prozac now and I'm not taking it

• Moderator Emeritus
14 hours ago, Foxclover6 said:

He prescribed me prozac now and I'm not taking it

I'm glad to hear that you are choosing not to start prozac.  Most doctors seem to just want to throw drugs at people to try to fix them, and too often it just makes their situation worse. The more we go on and off psych drugs, the more it tends to destabilize the nervous system and cause uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms.  

Yes, I've heard of WD causing burning sensation in other people as well.  Here is a thread about all the various WD symptoms: 

Glenmullen Withdrawal Symptom Checklist

Burning Skin and Feet

Paresthesia - Pins and Needles, Numbness, Tingling, Burning Sensations

Severe Burning After WD

It's very good you are able to sleep so well.  Many of us can't in WD. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

• Administrator

That Prozac prescription may come in handy as a substitute for Lexapro should you decide to try low-dose reinstatement, which I would suggest only if your symptoms showed a distinct pattern of getting worse.

• 1 month later...

still haven't taken anything, question for anyone who reads this, is getting warm spots on the face, a part of ssri withdrawl ? I get these warm pressure feelings under the skin 

• Moderator Emeritus

It is a common WD symptom to have sensations of hot and cold, because of body temperature dysregulation.  This thread talks about that.  MammaP even talks about having a hot face, so I don't think it is anything to be concerned about, although I understand it is uncomfortable, and probably unsettling.  

Body Temperature Dysregulation

Another well know WD symptom is paresthesia. This is a hot burning tingling feeling under the skin. Can be in whole body or mainly in lower arms and legs. It most often disappears after a while of stabilization on the existing dose.  Can take days until months until it disappears ....

https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/All-Disorders/Paresthesia-Information-Page

1993    Anafranil (Clomipramine) for a few months. Later in 1993 Paxil for a few months 1993- 2006      No medication

2006   Effexor, Cymbalta, some Benzo’s. All for short periods. Later in 2006 Lexapro (escitalopram) 10 mg and shortly after Wellbutrin XR 150mg, against side effects Lexapro 

Since 2006 until end of 2015: Several times on and off Lexapro and Wellbutrin and several slight dosage changes. Mostly taken dosages: 5mg Lexapro and 150mg Wellbutrin

2016  Dosage change Lexapro from 5mg to 2,5 mg. Wellbutrin stayed om 150mg

November 2016 – April 2017 Down from 2,5mg to 0,6mg Lexapro (in steps) without much problems. Wellbutrin down from 150mg to 66mg. Also without much problems.

April 2017 – March 2019       Lexapro 0,6 mg        April 2017 - August 2018       Wellbutrin in small steps down from 66mg in to 37,5 mg . Quite heavy WD after each step.

March 2019 – May 2019 Lexapro down from 0,6 to 0,3mg then Prozac to 0,6 mg switch because severe discontinuation effects (may also have been from Wellbutrin..)    

Wellbutrin down from 37,5mg to 35,3mg 

October 2019        Seroquel 12,5 mg for 4 weeks because of extreme sleeping problems, then weaning off in 2 weeks       Prozac up dosage to 1,2 mg

March 2020     Wellbutrin in 2 steps down from 35,3mg to 33,3mg   Extreme withdrawal effects during 8 months. Stopped tapering Wellbutrin  until total off Prozac. 

February 2020 – November 2020   Prozac down in steps from 1,2mg to 0,57mg. 

Jan 2021  Prozac down to:  0,55> 0,53>0,51mg,   Feb 0,47mg ,  Mar 0,42mg,   Apr 0,37, longer hold because of WD symptoms July 0,36 and hold again, Sept 19 0,35, Sept 26 0,34mg, Oct 3 0,33mg  Long hold of 172 days until March 2022

January 20, 2022:  Wellbutrin from 33,3 to 32,3mg

March 22, 2022 Prozac down from 0,33mg to: 0,30mg, Apr 0,29, May 0,28, 0,27, June 0,26, 0,25, July 0,24, 0,23, 0,22, 0,21, Aug 0,20, 0,19 Sep 0,18, Oct 0,17. 0,16, 0,15, Nov 0,14  Jan 2023 0,13, 0,12, 0,11  Feb 0,10, 0,09 Mar 0,08 ,  June 0,07 , July 0,06,  0,05, Aug 0,04, 0,03, Sept 0,026, 0,024 Nov 0,022, 0,019, 0,016, 0,013 Dec 0,012, 0,011, 0,010, 0,009   Jan 2024 0,008, 0,007,  0,006,  0,005, 0,004, 0,003, 0,002, 0,001, Feb  0,0007.  0,0005,   0,0003, 0,0001,  

Feb 23, 2024:  0,00000

Wellbutrin resume tapering: Apr 2024 31,6mg, 30,8, 30

Supplements: Fish Oil (3000mg), Magnesium 100 mg, 2 drops of Lavender Oil, only when feeling extreme anxiety. 50mg of L-Theanine only when severe discontinuation effects caused by Wellbutrin

Please note this is NOT a medical advice. Discuss all your medical issues with a doctor who understands psychical drugs and really knows how to withdraw from them. I wish that you will find one.

Hey all,  currently I'm struggling,  still haven't taken anything.   Wondering if body aches are a symptom this far out.  Also,  considering taking buspirone, thoughts appreciated 

• Moderator Emeritus

Just wondering what you are hoping for from the Buspirone.  

On 6/28/2021 at 7:27 PM, Altostrata said:

That Prozac prescription may come in handy as a substitute for Lexapro should you decide to try low-dose reinstatement, which I would suggest only if your symptoms showed a distinct pattern of getting worse.

Rather than jump onto a new drug, I would suggest the idea above instead.  Using another psych med to deal with symptoms from a previous one is not suggested here on SA.  It is a gamble, it could help, or it could make things worse by further confusing your nervous system with another drug.  Are your symptoms worsening? 

You mean, take the prozac? I've developed pain in my limbs and legs, it's just really awful. I also have anxiety and feel very off and afraid 

2 hours ago, getofflex said:

Just wondering what you are hoping for from the Buspirone.  

Rather than jump onto a new drug, I would suggest the idea above instead.  Using another psych med to deal with symptoms from a previous one is not suggested here on SA.  It is a gamble, it could help, or it could make things worse by further confusing your nervous system with another drug.  Are your symptoms worsening? 

Would it be ok to take prozac though when it isn't lexparo ? 

• Administrator
On 6/22/2021 at 8:52 AM, Foxclover6 said:

I asked if I could maybe start at a low dose of lexapro to try and reinstate but he didn't like the idea due to the so called reaction so now I have the script for prozac and that's where I'm at.  

Prozac is an SSRI like Lexapro. I suggested you substitute it for Lexapro because you said your doctor didn't want to prescribe Lexapro because he thinks you had an adverse reaction to the drug. Did you explain to him you had been taking Lexapro inconsistently and you got withdrawal symptoms?

f you prefer to reinstate Lexapro, you'll have to get a prescription from a doctor. A prescription for liquid Lexapro (escitalopram) would be best. Or, if your doctor still doesn't understand, you could get liquid Celexa (citalopram), Lexapro's gentler sibling, and reinstate 1mg of that instead.

You probably should tell your doctor you intend to start with a small amount, see how it works, and increase the dosage. Your doctor probably will be thrilled by the idea you're going back on an antidepressant.

17 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Prozac is an SSRI like Lexapro. I suggested you substitute it for Lexapro because you said your doctor didn't want to prescribe Lexapro because he thinks you had an adverse reaction to the drug. Did you explain to him you had been taking Lexapro inconsistently and you got withdrawal symptoms?

f you prefer to reinstate Lexapro, you'll have to get a prescription from a doctor. A prescription for liquid Lexapro (escitalopram) would be best. Or, if your doctor still doesn't understand, you could get liquid Celexa (citalopram), Lexapro's gentler sibling, and reinstate 1mg of that instead.

You probably should tell your doctor you intend to start with a small amount, see how it works, and increase the dosage. Your doctor probably will be thrilled by the idea you're going back on an antidepressant.

Yeah but that makes me upset,  I'm not sure if my muscle pain is related to my withdrawl.  It's allover, no fever. Could it be? Even this far along? I will Attempt to ask.  Sigh.  I'm assuming taking a normal  dose of prozsc would be too extreme 

• Administrator

Muscle pain and burning is a common withdrawal symptom. Protracted withdrawal can last for months or years. 

Reinstatement of the drug or a similar drug is the only way known to reverse withdrawal symptoms. We suggest a very small dose so you can see what it does without risking a bad reaction. Hundreds of people here have done this successfully. The decision is up to you, we can't make it for you.

• Moderator Emeritus
16 hours ago, Foxclover6 said:

I'm assuming taking a normal  dose of prozsc would be too extreme 

Probably so, this puts you at risk of kindling your nervous system, which means it would significantly worsen your WD symptoms.  

3 hours ago, getofflex said:

Probably so, this puts you at risk of kindling your nervous system, which means it would significantly worsen your WD symptoms.  

Pretty sure the day I took buspar caused my muscle pain. So now im not doing that again, so ask for liquid taper, which ssri is the least of the worst in your opinion ? I don't think he'll give me lex because of fhe reaction.  My apt is in 1hour 

• Moderator Emeritus

I would suggest that you reinstate the same antidepressant that you went off of, Lexapro, or Prozac. That would probably be the easiest on your nervous system so I would do the Lexapro except you said that your doctor didn’t want you to take that.  Altostrata suggested you could also reinstate Prozac. That one is easier to taper off of due to its long half life.     

we suggest you do a very small reinstatement. I would try 0.5 milligram of Lexapro or 1 milligram of Prozac.

Edited by getofflex

9 minutes ago, getofflex said:

I would suggest that you reinstate the same antidepressant that you went off of, Lexapro, or Prozac. That would probably be the easiest on your nervous system so I would do the Lexapro except you said that your doctor didn’t want you to take that.  Altostrata suggested you could also reinstate Prozac. That one is easier to taper off of due to its long half life.     

we suggest you do a very small reinstatement. I would try 0.5 milligram of Lexapro or 1 milligram of Prozac.

I don't think he'll do it because of the reaction,  maybe Celexa then ? 

If I have no other choice ? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Altostrata and I both think that the Prozac would be the best one.

• Moderator Emeritus

If you have no other choice then I think citalopram would be OK too because that’s a cousin of Lexapro.