Foxclover6: Cold turkey Lexparo 10 mg

Foxclover6

I'm struggling. This pain comes and goes but it gets triggered by eating sugar of any sort. I ended up trying the buspar a few times only to decide that it wasn't a good idea since like you said, a different class and im too sensitized. The last pill I took was on a Saturday and then I had blood work done that Tuesday, all within normal ranges. I keep obsessing over the muscle pain that gets triggered by stress or sugar, or both. I dont know if maybe I am in a serious situation or not ? If I had drug induced myipathy would I absolutely need to go to the hospital? I haven't taken it since last Saturday. Over a week ago, the doctor said it wouldn't cause continued nyopathy upon discontinuing. I tried to go back to work about a month ago, I worked from the 26th of July , for two weeks, then stopped because of my heightened anxiety and fears. Please someone will you talk to me ? I'm so scared of myopathy or if I'm in a serious or dangerous situation 

- 10 mg lexparo 1.5 years

- ativan for panic 0.5 , never more than once daily and not everyday for 4 years.

-cold turkeyed in June 5 of 2021.

Buspar a few days and had severe muscle pain. July 26, 27, then 30 of 2021.

He didn't affirm that it was myopathy but said some people get muscle pain. Less than 1 percent.  I'm worried that it's something I need help with and I didn't go to the hospital.. he seemed to think it'd be fine if it was that even 

- ativan for panic 0.5 , never more than once daily and not everyday for 4 years.

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, Foxclover6 said:

I ended up trying the buspar a few times only to decide that it wasn't a good idea since like you said, a different class and im too sensitized.

I'm glad you stopped taking it.  (Buspar should be taken on a regular schedule, not on an as needed basis.). At any rate, adding more neuroactive drugs is likely to cause worse problems.  

What did you decide to do about the reinstatement?  

6 hours ago, Foxclover6 said:

I keep obsessing over the muscle pain that gets triggered by stress or sugar, or both. I dont know if maybe I am in a serious situation or not

Please try not to obsess about the muscle pain. That is a common WD symptom.  If it were me, I would do everything I could to avoid the sugar, and the stress.  I realize some stress is unavoidable, but your nervous system needs peace and quiet, not stress and chaos.  Health anxiety is a very common WD symptom too, caused by anxiety.  Here are some things that may help: 

Health Anxiety

APPLE Technique

I just came across a very nice technique that really helps me.  It's called APPLE. I have printed it and have it where I can see it every day and be reminded of it so I internalize this technique. 

A - Acknowledge Notice and acknowledge the thought or uncertainty as it comes to mind. 

P - Pause Don't react as you normally do.  Don't react at all.  Just pause and breathe.   

P - Pull Back Tell yourself this is just the thought or worry talking, and this apparent need for worry or analysis or certainty is not helpful and not necessary.  It is only a thought or feeling.  Don't believe everything you think.  Thoughts are not statements or facts.   

L - Let Go Let go of the thought or feeling.  It will pass.  You don't have to respond to it.  You might imagine the thought floating away in a bubble or cloud.   

E - Explore Explore the present moment, because right now, in this moment, you are OK.  Notice your breathing and the sensations of your breathing.  Notice the ground beneath you.  Look around and notice what you see, what you hear, what you can touch, what you can smell.  Right now.  Then shift your focus of attention to something else - on what you need to do, on what you were doing before you noticed the thought or worry, or do something else - mindfully - with your full attention.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

49 minutes ago, getofflex said:

I'm glad you stopped taking it.  (Buspar should be taken on a regular schedule, not on an as needed basis.). At any rate, adding more neuroactive drugs is likely to cause worse problems.  

What did you decide to do about the reinstatement?  

Please try not to obsess about the muscle pain. That is a common WD symptom.  If it were me, I would do everything I could to avoid the sugar, and the stress.  I realize some stress is unavoidable, but your nervous system needs peace and quiet, not stress and chaos.  Health anxiety is a very common WD symptom too, caused by anxiety.  Here are some things that may help: 

Health Anxiety

APPLE Technique

I just came across a very nice technique that really helps me.  It's called APPLE. I have printed it and have it where I can see it every day and be reminded of it so I internalize this technique. 

A - Acknowledge Notice and acknowledge the thought or uncertainty as it comes to mind. 

P - Pause Don't react as you normally do.  Don't react at all.  Just pause and breathe.   

P - Pull Back Tell yourself this is just the thought or worry talking, and this apparent need for worry or analysis or certainty is not helpful and not necessary.  It is only a thought or feeling.  Don't believe everything you think.  Thoughts are not statements or facts.   

L - Let Go Let go of the thought or feeling.  It will pass.  You don't have to respond to it.  You might imagine the thought floating away in a bubble or cloud.   

E - Explore Explore the present moment, because right now, in this moment, you are OK.  Notice your breathing and the sensations of your breathing.  Notice the ground beneath you.  Look around and notice what you see, what you hear, what you can touch, what you can smell.  Right now.  Then shift your focus of attention to something else - on what you need to do, on what you were doing before you noticed the thought or worry, or do something else - mindfully - with your full attention.  

Thank you so much for responding,  I will read all of this.  Could this really be from witbdrawl after 3 months, I really think taking the buspar ignited it but not I hope I dont or didn't cause some kind of myopathy that needs to be treated asap? I'm just scared the buspar cause something really bad. Idk if the body would heal itself from myopathy, as you can see I'm obsessing and compulsing.  

I read it and copied it to my daily notes to use, I want to take motrin to see of it helps but I'm scared a that too. Sigh

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes it is likely WD. It takes a long time for symptoms of WD to subside. I don’t think BuSpar would cause you any permanent harm  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

15 minutes ago, getofflex said:

Yes it is likely WD. It takes a long time for symptoms of WD to subside. I don’t think BuSpar would cause you any permanent harm  

Thank you, I am so restless, the response means so much. I noticed working out I feel so lousy afterwards too, any over stimulating anything has brought me physical pain all of a sudden.  I restarted work for 2 weeks but then had to stop, I was just not ok. I was also juicing veggies daily and was feeling good on that but stopped yesterday due to fear that it was causing the pain.  

• Moderator Emeritus

I will say that workouts can aggravate your nervous system and aggravate withdrawal symptoms. We suggest very gentle exercise like walking instead. I’m sorry to say this. The vegetable juice wouldn’t cause you any trouble I don’t believe. In fact I think that would be good for you

3 minutes ago, getofflex said:

I will say that workouts can aggravate your nervous system and aggravate withdrawal symptoms. We suggest very gentle exercise like walking instead. I’m sorry to say this. The vegetable juice wouldn’t cause you any trouble I don’t believe. In fact I think that would be good for you

Have you had any trouble from tapering ? I wish I'd listened to advice in the beginning about tapering but the reaction was horrifying from upping and skipping,  my body freaked out. 

• Mentor

@Foxclover6 don’t beat yourself up we have all been where you are! These drugs mostly have a delayed reaction when we change dosage. Maybe a few days or a month before symptoms are noticeable. Same goes for reinstatement after withdrawal  it takes a while before symptoms lessen, most likely months. 
peace will come it takes a while but it will come. 

what you are describing is withdrawals and know it will pass. Keep it stable and it will pass.  muscles tensing up hurting I have had that before too. What I do is hot bath, stretching, Tylenol. 

anxiety is withdrawal symptom. It will cause irrational thinking. That is tough one for me too. 
slow, steady, stable 

hang in there!

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I had a lot of trouble tapering in the beginning because I had not yet found this forum and I was tapering way too fast and then reinstating. Once I found the forum I started to taper as advised and very gradually my nervous system and my symptoms have gotten easier and easier.

I don’t think Motrin, which is  ibuprofen or Tylenol will hurt you. I take those on occasion and it doesn’t bother me in the least.

Edited by getofflex

I really wish I could reinstate because this leg and arm pain is scaring me. 

It started when I tried the buspar, but I barely even took it so it's very weird 

• Moderator Emeritus
22 hours ago, Foxclover6 said:

It started when I tried the buspar, but I barely even took it so it's very weird

This sounds like an adverse reaction to the drug.  These are powerful drugs, and some people have severe reactions to only 1 or several doses of the drug.    I don't see any info in your sig for when you took the Buspar.  Can you please add this?  Thank you.  

Adverse Reaction After Only Taking It a Short. Time

22 hours ago, Foxclover6 said:

I really wish I could reinstate because this leg and arm pain is scaring me. 

You said the leg and arm pain was from taking the Buspar, so reinstating it would not be a good idea.  

Your drug sig says "Incorrectly tapered and now taking nothing since 6-10-21. "  I assume this was the Lexapro?   Please specify in your drug sig.  

You are probably still having WD symptoms from the fast taper of the Lexapro in June.  As I suggested in my initial post, you could try a small reinstatement, say about 0.5 mg.  I suggest you get liquid Lexapro for tapering the small dose.  You can use a 1 ml syringe to measure it.  1 ml of Lexapro contains 1 mgai in the USA, so you would take 0.5 ml.  That is what I use.  Please reread the end of my first post for information about the reinstatement.  Let us know what you decide to do. 

Edited by getofflex

4 hours ago, getofflex said:

This sounds like an adverse reaction to the drug.  These are powerful drugs, and some people have severe reactions to only 1 or several doses of the drug.    I don't see any info in your sig for when you took the Buspar.  Can you please add this?  Thank you.  

Adverse Reaction After Only Taking It a Short. Time

You said the leg and arm pain was from taking the Buspar, so reinstating it would not be a good idea.  

Your drug sig says "Incorrectly tapered and now taking nothing since 6-10-21. "  I assume this was the Lexapro?   Please specify in your drug sig.  

You are probably still having WD symptoms from the fast taper of the Lexapro in June.  As I suggested in my initial post, you could try a small reinstatement, say about 0.5 mg.  I suggest you get liquid Lexapro for tapering the small dose.  You can use a 1 ml syringe to measure it.  1 ml of Lexapro contains 1 mgai in the USA, so you would take 0.5 ml.  That is what I use.  Please reread the end of my first post for information about the reinstatement.  Let us know what you decide to do. 

I think it was buspar but I really don't know, it started around that time but I only took it 3 times.  I wonder if it could be lexapro, in scared and worrying its something serious.  =/. He wouldn't give me a liquid, I dont know why,  very frustrating. I'm very nerved up and panicky. I'm not sure which is from,  I took buspar the 27th, the 28th of July then 1st of August something like that,  the pain came and went around it.  This pain feels muscular, but it's very uncomfortable. I can't even explain it really, tiny pins and needles here and there.  

I will fix the signature when I can calm down enough to find where it is again 

I did contact the doctor, these are rare side effects of the buspar.  I'm scared, is it permanent or soenthing that needs a steroid possibly ? Please help me im scared.  

Screenshot_20210828-090157_Chrome.jpg

I have pins and needs, and aches in my hands and feet. Sigh. Im jjst keeping an update on here. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/16/2021 at 7:26 PM, Altostrata said:

Muscle pain and burning is a common withdrawal symptom. Protracted withdrawal can last for months or years. 

Reinstatement of the drug or a similar drug is the only way known to reverse withdrawal symptoms. We suggest a very small dose so you can see what it does without risking a bad reaction. Hundreds of people here have done this successfully. The decision is up to you, we can't make it for you.

Altostrata is the owner and found of this forum, and she is one of the world's leading experts on withdrawal from psych meds.  I would take her words to heart.  You have 1 of 2 options:  

1) try a reinstatement as we have suggested previously, 

2) try and tough it out, and wait for your body to heal itself.  

Either way, please try not to freak out over your symptoms.  This will add anxiety to your WD symptoms, and make it harder for you to recover.  What you are describing are symptoms of WD from psych meds.  It is common to have health anxiety, but it would be very good if you could try to accept the symptoms, and trust that what we tell you is true - these are WD symptoms that many others on here have had too, and they do go away in time.  The bad news is that it takes a long time for the nervous system to heal.  The good news is, healing does happen eventually.  

Health Anxiety

Edited by getofflex

5 minutes ago, getofflex said:

Altostrata is the owner and found of this forum, and she is one of the world's leading experts on withdrawal from psych meds.  I would take her words to heart.  You have 1 of 2 options:  

1) try a reinstatement as we having suggested previously, 

2) try and tough it out, and wait for your body to heal itself.  

I want to but what if the doctor makes excuses that some ssris don't come in liquid, like I'm an idiot, he can't just figure it out or order it ? Sadly I asked my pdoc and he just doesn't want to cross the line over the psych, they act like im a druggie, I took an ssri. -_-

• Moderator Emeritus

I know for a fact that Lexapro comes in a liquid in the USA, because I'm taking that now.   Prozac and Citalopram, which we've also discussed as possible reinstatement candidates, also come in a liquid.  You can also make your own liquid at home.  All major pharmacies should be able to easily order these items.   You can consider switching doctors, or trying to educate your doctor about withdrawal.  

How to Talk to a Doctor About Tapering and Withdrawal

Edited by getofflex

4 hours ago, getofflex said:

I know for a fact that Lexapro comes in a liquid in the USA, because I'm taking that now.   Prozac and Citalopram, which we've also discussed as possible reinstatement candidates, also come in a liquid.  You can also make your own liquid at home.  All major pharmacies should be able to easily order these items.   You can consider switching doctors, or trying to educate your doctor about withdrawal.  

How to Talk to a Doctor About Tapering and Withdrawal

I will tell him, I feel very let down by medical doctors. I am not fond of feeling like an inconvenience  and this year I've had to, had many heart tests and just back to back things where I had to deal with them and ask and ask and ask. They don't even tell you when your blood levels are not right or off, you have to do everything yourself. Right now I'm obsessing over if I should go to the er simply based on the idea of, is this chemical induced neuropathy, its persisted since taking the Buspar even though only a few times, but I read that even if it is, there's nothing can be done about it. Myopathy is less likely right ? If you know.  I know it's usually statins. The pain is like an ache and there some slight prickles here and there, hands and lower legs.  Just hoping it's nothing I needed to get medical assistance for and didn't.  I just see myself walking in there though, they'll check my vitals and do more blood work that is not the work needed and send me home.  If it is drug induced, there's likely no helps besides motrin do you think ? If you don't know that's fine.  Just thought I'd ask. I'll try to ask this psych for the fluid version , it's hard when he lies to me and it makes me feel like I have to press him for his help. 

• Moderator Emeritus
16 minutes ago, Foxclover6 said:

I will tell him, I feel very let down by medical doctors.

I so identify with this.  I feel the same way.  I sometimes wonder what they do in all those years of medical school, etc. 

Unfortunately, adverse reactions from a drug can take months to recover from, even if you only took the drug for a few days.  I believe that myopathy is less likely, and that this is the result of WD from psych meds.  

Taking magnesium helps to relax muscles.  

21 minutes ago, Foxclover6 said:

The pain is like an ache and there some slight prickles here and there, hands and lower legs.

You are describing paresthesia, which is a common WD symptom.  And, aching muscles is a common WD symptom, too.  

Muscle and Joint Stiffness Aches Pains

Paresthesia

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is a list of common WD symptoms.  Perhaps this will help reassure you that your symptoms are from WD.  

Dr Joseph Glenmullen WD Symptoms

• Administrator

Please read Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

The NDC code, which is used to order liquid Lexapro, is prominently displayed.

If you prefer to use a generic liquid, ask your pharmacist for the NDC code. 

Otherwise, you may wish to make your own liquid.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Today the pain in my arms and legs is still pretty constant, have it in my wrists and ankles, it feels terrible. I believe when I took that buspar I triggered something more than what I was experiencing,  is that possible? I still hope that it will go away on its own.  Ive fought going to the hospital all weekend, but I have no fever or odd blood pressure so I imagine nothing will come of it anyways.  My hands and feet are the worst, it's like a dull ache with scattered tingles. Aspirin helped but im afraid to take anything because I don't want to be unaware if something is really wrong.  I have been looking how to make my own liquid. 

I'm so afraid all the stress and worry I put my body through has made me terminally ill.  I know im a typical case but im so scared. Never had pain the first 2.5 months.  

I'm just a broken record 

1 positive. Recently aside from the pain, my mind has been coming back, I always loved working out and had this inner urge to do so and that was gone for so long and it's come back. Just really wish the hands and feet pain would go away. 

Hi @Altostrata,

“If sleep is okay, it appears your withdrawal symptoms are mild.”

This is the first time I read this. Is there more information about this on the site?

thanks in advance.

Citalopram augustus 2020 - 20 mg untill 14 february 2021 quit cold turkey. No alcohol use or other medicine. No surgery.  Only adviced supplements and little bit of vitamine D because of defficieny. 

Sadly,  my naturopathic doctor, prescribed me the liquid lexparo, not the one who damn gave it to me. Haha. What a jooooke. Sigh, also she did alot of tests =/ 

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Fromthenetherlands said:

Hi @Altostrata,

“If sleep is okay, it appears your withdrawal symptoms are mild.”

This is the first time I read this. Is there more information about this on the site?

thanks in advance.

Please read the sleep topics in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum, listed here 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Foxclover6 said:

Sadly,  my naturopathic doctor, prescribed me the liquid lexparo, not the one who damn gave it to me. Haha. What a jooooke. Sigh, also she did alot of tests =/ 

When you feel up to it, you should tell your original prescriber what happened.

What's important is you've gotten the liquid. (The tests are probably unnecessary.) Please let us know how you're doing with 0.5mg escitalopram to start (one-half of one milligram).

Ok so I have 5mg / 5ml solution , should I just use a syringe and take the 0.5 ? Can you all tell me what possible bad could happen. From reinstating at this dose ? 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 minute ago, Foxclover6 said:

should I just use a syringe and take the 0.5 ?

Yes.  Take precisely 0.5 every day at the same time.  

1 minute ago, Foxclover6 said:

Can you all tell me what possible bad could happen. From reinstating at this dose ? 

We prescribe a very low reinstatement dose, such as the 0.5, to reduce the risk of a bad reaction.  If you are hit with a sudden wave of severe symptoms upon reinstating, stop right away.  However, it is pretty doubtful that will happen, but I can't guarantee that 100%.  Please read this article for more info about reinstating. 

About Reinstating and Stabilizing to Reduce Withdrawal Symptoms

• Administrator

Please let us know how the 0.5mg affects you over at least 3 days.