SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Jojomama: Beginning my Pristiq taper

Jojomama

I’m a 30 year old female who has been on ssris since I was 7 (originally for OCD). To make a long story short, I’ve been on almost all ssris since then with a failed attempt to come off in 2017. In 2019, I successfully stopped my Xanax use and haven’t touched one since. Now, with the pristiq, the emotional flatness, fatigue, and sexual dysfunction are too much for me to bear now. After reading “Anatomy of an Epidemic”, I’ve decided to try to get off these drugs once and for all. At first, my doctor tried taking me from my original dose of 50 mg down to 25 mg, and right away I had horrible withdrawals as crying spells and anxiety. So then she tried adding 10 mg of Prozac, after taking Prozac for 5 days and then cutting down to 25 mg pristiq,  i has horrible symptoms and horrible fatigue. So now we have utilized a compounding pharmacy who compounded capsules down to 45 mg (10% decrease),I’m on day 6, it’s not as bad as the last two attempts. I really start feeling spacey and tired at the e d of the day. The compounding  pharmacist said they added a extended release compound to it but I don’t feel like it’s covering me for a full day. Any suggestions? I’ve read the pristiq taper thread so far. 

Edited by Gridley

1998- pediatric ocd dx 40 mg Prozac; 2006- trial of anafranil, failed back to Prozac; 2007- trial of paxil, few months, weight gain, cold turkey no issues, back to Prozac: 2008- panic disorder dx- .25-.5 mg Xanax prn, but developed dependence until 2017, cold turkeyd for pregnancy; 2009- Prozac; 2010-2012- Zoloft, fatigue, weight gain switch to Effexor; 2012-2013- Effexor with bad constipation issues

2013- Prozac, cold turkey, no issues until 4 months later, destabilized, then back to Effexor; 2013-2016- Effexor and Dexedrin;

2017- switch to lexapro, tried to cold turkey, ended up with bad panic attacks. Put on 50 mg pristiq. Quit benzos, quit Dexedrine ct

Now 2021- pristiq 50 mg with 50 mg ketamine troches x3 weekly, attempted taper in June cut by 50% in 3 days, nausea, panic

Late June, second attempt with compound ex to 45.5 mg, did for two weeks, depression/crying/fatigue, reinstated last week of June to 50 mg. Early July- now suffering nausea, headache, food sensitivity, depression, dizzy feelings, panic. Gave up on taper then
dec 2021- switched 50 mg Pristiq cross taper to 50 mg Zoloft

april 2022- on 4/3/22 decreased Zoloft from 50 to 37.5 mg over the course of 8 days

4/11/22- having chills, nausea, body aches, and panic attack. Re-instated to 45 mg. Praying to stabilize and taper responsibly later. 

4/12/22-reinstated completely back to 50 mg

5/4- residual muscle aches and night mares with panic at night continuing. Hope this gets better

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Jojomama.

To start:

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

It's very good that you're now on the right track with a 10% decrease.  You've likely read our recommendation that you taper now faster than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Here's the Pristiq taper thread that you've read.

Tips for tapering off desvenlafaxine (Pristiq)

You wrote that you don't think that the extended release compound is covering you for a full day.  One possibility to consider for the future is to have the compounding pharmacy eliminate the the extended release compound and split your dose so that you take it twice a day.  The following is from the Pristiq tapering link above.

"Without the extended-release matrix, a Pristiq fragment becomes desvenlafaxine, with an 11-hour half life. To avoid "dose dumping" of the entire dose,  you might take smaller divided doses of Pristiq, more than once a day, like immediate-release Effexor, to mimic an extended-release dose."

You could finish out this four-week tapering period at 45mg with the pharmacy's extended release compound and see how it's doing before making any changes.  That will also let your nervous system stabilize after the previous changes with the drop from 50mg to 25mg and then the addition of Prozac.  We recommend making as few changes as possible as you taper.  At the end of the 4-week period, you could determine whether you want try the split-dose method.  

ChessieCat, a former moderator, tapered Pristiq using a compounding pharmacy, and she's now at a very low dose.  Here's a link to her story.

My tapering program   My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)  My website

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Gridley changed the title to Jojomama: Beginning my pristiq taper

Hi Gridley, 

thank you so much for replying back so quickly. It makes me feel a lot less alone in all this. It’s been hard as I also have a 1 year old to take care of too, so functioning at an adequate level with the least side effects is so important. When you mean split the doses into smaller divided doses, do you imply for example instead of a 45 mg capsule, taking 22.5 twice a day of just pure desvenlafaxine? That’s a really good idea, I’ll call my pharmacy and get their thoughts. Just seems like by the 22 hour mark after my dose I feel worse, spacey, tired, weepy. Also, is it normal to have vivid dreams during withdrawal? Thanks!!

1998- pediatric ocd dx 40 mg Prozac; 2006- trial of anafranil, failed back to Prozac; 2007- trial of paxil, few months, weight gain, cold turkey no issues, back to Prozac: 2008- panic disorder dx- .25-.5 mg Xanax prn, but developed dependence until 2017, cold turkeyd for pregnancy; 2009- Prozac; 2010-2012- Zoloft, fatigue, weight gain switch to Effexor; 2012-2013- Effexor with bad constipation issues

2013- Prozac, cold turkey, no issues until 4 months later, destabilized, then back to Effexor; 2013-2016- Effexor and Dexedrin;

2017- switch to lexapro, tried to cold turkey, ended up with bad panic attacks. Put on 50 mg pristiq. Quit benzos, quit Dexedrine ct

Now 2021- pristiq 50 mg with 50 mg ketamine troches x3 weekly, attempted taper in June cut by 50% in 3 days, nausea, panic

Late June, second attempt with compound ex to 45.5 mg, did for two weeks, depression/crying/fatigue, reinstated last week of June to 50 mg. Early July- now suffering nausea, headache, food sensitivity, depression, dizzy feelings, panic. Gave up on taper then

april 2022- on 4/3/22 decreased Zoloft from 50 to 37.5 mg over the course of 8 days

4/11/22- having chills, nausea, body aches, and panic attack. Re-instated to 45 mg. Praying to stabilize and taper responsibly later. 

5/4- residual muscle aches and night mares with panic at night continuing. Hope this gets better

• Moderator Emeritus

12 minutes ago, Jojomama said:

do you imply for example instead of a 45 mg capsule, taking 22.5 twice a day of just pure desvenlafaxine?

That's what I was thinking.  Be sure you take the doses at the same times each day.  

Vivid dreams are a common symptom during withdrawal.  I have them sometimes myself.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

So after seven days, I had to give up. My emotions were through the roof, very rough depressive symptoms, crying, and dizziness. After weighing the pros and cons, I had decide what was best for my 1 year old, and I have to be fully functional for him. I will have to revisit this maybe in a few years until my child is a little more independent. I feel bit like a failure about it. In some ways, pristiq has been very beneficial I think for anxiety and ocd, so I’m trying not to demonize it too much in my head. I reinstated my regular 50 mg last night. How long does it take to feel somewhat “normal”? It caused my usual insomnia to come back when I took it last night. 

You’re not a failure. I had issues with anxiety and OCD so I want you to know that when you’re ready you absolutely can do this. I wish you the best of luck!!

Completely drug free 11/26/22 🎉

Supplements: Magnesium citrate: 250 mg; Fish oil: 1200 mg

“When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.” - Victor Frankl

• 4 weeks later...

I attempted to taper last month, I’m on 50 mg pristiq and my doctor tried to have me cut it by half and initiate Prozac as a bridge. 3 days in to that, I started having panic attacks and nausea. A week later, we attempted to go down 10 % using a compounding pharmacy (45 mg). I did that for 2 weeks, and crashed with terrible depression and anxiety and decided for the sake of my 15 month old to just reinstate my full dose. I’ve been on my full dose (50 mg)for about 4 weeks and still don’t feel better. Anxiety coming in waves with the physical symptoms and nausea and dizziness. Will this get better? I have health anxiety so anything physical makes me feel worse. Should my doctor reinstate at a higher dose? I’m desperate. Please help!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jojomama,  @Jojomama

12 hours ago, Jojomama said:

I attempted to taper last month, I’m on 50 mg pristiq and my doctor tried to have me cut it by half and initiate Prozac as a bridge. 3 days in to that, I started having panic attacks and nausea. A week later, we attempted to go down 10 % using a compounding pharmacy (45 mg). I did that for 2 weeks, and crashed with terrible depression and anxiety and decided for the sake of my 15 month old to just reinstate my full dose. I’ve been on my full dose (50 mg)for about 4 weeks and still don’t feel better. Anxiety coming in waves with the physical symptoms and nausea and dizziness. Will this get better? I have health anxiety so anything physical makes me feel worse. Should my doctor reinstate at a higher dose? I’m desperate. Please help!

Hi.  I've got a couple of your posts moved on back here, to your topic.  This is the best place, for right now, to ask for input regarding your specifics, your Introduction page.

And it sounds like it's been a roller coaster, after the 50% reduction that your doctor initiated.  I'm so sorry for that.  And unfortunately, it may take some more time for your body to re-establish some stability. 

How were you doing on the 50 mg of Pristique, prior to that 50% drop that your doctor had you do?

Very helpful will be to have you do a signature:  How to List Drug History in Signature

Once you understand what we need to see there go to AccountSettings/signature to enter your information.  Don't forget to hit SAVE when completed.

If it was me, I wouldn't want to go higher in dosage.  It may take a bit more time, until your nervous system begins to settle from all the previous changes.

You mention Waves.  Any Windows?

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.

Unfortunately, there is not any real quick fix, after abrupt changes in medications,  but many do find non-drug coping to be of benefit.  You may find something that appeals to you in our Symptoms and Self Care forum.

Hope to see you posting again soon.
Best.  Love, peace, healing, and growth,
manymoretodays(mmt)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Mentor

@Jojomama  Hi, how are you doing?  I sympathize with your ocd it is a very challenging have thoughts go around and around your mind😰

I know how hard it would be to go through WD and ocd with a 1 yr old.  When you are feel you are ready to try again you will know and will be successful.  I am not a mod, but my guess is you have destabilized your cns and it will take a little bit to stabilize.  Do not make the mistake of more is better and it will make me feel better faster.  Wait it out you.  Try and distract yourself as much as you can.  I know with a 1 yr old that distraction will happen on it own☺️

Best of luck.  Enjoy your child♥️

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing and if you need more encouragement as you stabilize. 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg

Lamictal  taper  4/17/ 2022 25mg, 9/9/ 22 -20mg, 9/25/22- 15mg , 10/20/22-   0

Trazodone..2023.>down to 14mg, 7mg, 6mg  July 2023   0

Xanax  0.0625 3 x a day,  2023>  0.042 3x a day

Supplements  Magnesium glycinate, Omega 3, D3, vitamin c , zinc, NAC 

• Administrator

Welcome, @Jojomama

On 7/17/2021 at 5:10 PM, Jojomama said:

I’ve been on my full dose (50 mg)for about 4 weeks and still don’t feel better. Anxiety coming in waves with the physical symptoms and nausea and dizziness.

What time of day do you take Pristiq? How do you feel before and after taking it? When you went back up to 50mg, how did your symptom pattern change?

Were you taking 50mg when you were tapering in June? Did you ever take Effexor? Please list your drug history. 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 7/17/2021 at 7:10 PM, Jojomama said:

Thanks for the reply, just listed a history.  I was taking 50 mg a d pretty stable before everything started to crumble. I’ve taken Effexor in the past. I take pristiq at night. Seems like I did okay the first week of reinstatement, but the second week I went on vacation to Montana and was out of my element, all these symptoms came on I think maybe due to the med changes? A lot of heightened anxiety, sensitive to foods I wasn’t before, feel off balance, headaches and nausea spells. The anxiety comes in waves and j have windows where I feel ok. I did reach out to dr.Shipko in June, he seemed to think I should switch to Effexor and then titrate which maybe I should have done . My current doc thinks we should bump my pristiq up 5 mg twice daily using a compound rx. I’m really not sure what to do, just want to stabilize because I have so many responsibilities right now.  Sorry to have such a long reply. 

I should also mention, anxiety is worse in the am. It’s strange 

• 1 month later...
  • Mentor

@Jojomama How are you doing?  I hope things are settling down for you.❤️

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/24894-greatful-is-this-withdrawal-or-to-many-med-changes-at-once/

1995? Prozac,  tried several Paxil, Serzone, St John's Wart back to Prozac and Trazodone ct:d Traz

Lexapro. Tried to stop Crash in 2015  Kindled   Hospitalized, Vybrid, Seroquel, Effexor, Abilify  Pristiq, Wellbutrin-- 2016  ended back on   Prozac and Lamictal 200mg

5/2020  thru 12/2020 taper from 20mg  Prozac  down to 3mg.  Crashed  12/13/2020 Zoloft 50mg 1/29ct  1/29/2021 Seroquel 50mg ct  2/12/2021 Wellbutrin 75mg.  Became hypo manic 2/1  6ct Trazodone 50mg 4/25  25mg 2/5/ 2021 Lamictal 150mg.  2/24  100mg   4/9  75mg   4/21 37.5 

2/16/2021 Seroquel 50xr  3/3 100mg  3/17  150mg  side effects ct   4/3 2021 Lexapro 5mg  4/14  7.5mg  4/30 10mg  5/10  7.5mg 

2021/ 5/16  5mg Lexapro   37.5 Lamictal   25mg trazadone,   xanax  .0625mg  3x a day   

Lexapro  Taper> Sept/01/2021  4.90mg>  Sept/25  4.75mg>   Oct/19 4.69mg > Nov/14 4.2mg    Jan/30/2022-- Split dosing 2x a day All liquid  4.2mg  (2.20mg at 8am & 2mg at 4pm) 2/17 4mg>  2/24  3.8mg  slow taper to  Aug/12/2022 2.04mg  2023> 2mg,  1.90mg, 1.80mg, 1.70mg, 1.5mg, 1.4mg, 1.3mg 1.2mg, 1.1mg, 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.8mg, 0.7mg 0.65mg, 0.6mg, 0.55mg, 0.5mg, 0.45mg, 0.4mg, 0.35mg, 0.3mg, 0.25,mg, back to once a day dosing 0 .1mg, 0.07mg

Lamictal  taper  4/17/ 2022 25mg, 9/9/ 22 -20mg, 9/25/22- 15mg , 10/20/22-   0

Trazodone..2023.>down to 14mg, 7mg, 6mg  July 2023   0

Xanax  0.0625 3 x a day,  2023>  0.042 3x a day

Supplements  Magnesium glycinate, Omega 3, D3, vitamin c , zinc, NAC 

• 7 months later...

Jojomama: Dr.Groots method versus 10% Reduction

Hi all,

ive started my Zoloft wean, currently on 50 mg, took 47 mg last night. I’m debating reducing 10% a month versus a method I found by Dr.Groot who has done research on tapering in the Netherlands and has a 84 day taper I’m looking at. Each box represents a day if that makes sense. I had to crop it to post it here.  I attached the taper schedule and high lighted what I’m looking at. I would really appreciate some advice and recommendations. I’m nervous to go too fast becuase I have a little one. But I also don’t want to taper over a span of two years becuase I keep putting on weight from Zoloft and we want to have another baby in the future. 

EFB6C1FB-1DC0-44B0-B2B2-6057E07735B0.jpeg

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

• Frogie changed the title to Jojomama: Dr.Groots method versus 10% Reduction

@Jojomama

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer run site helping members taper off antidepressants, or have tapered off and are now healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that each member only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information together.

We don't suggest a taper more than 10% a month. And a lot of members go slower than that.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Are you taking Zoloft or Pristiq? You talk about starting your Zoloft taper, but your signature shows Pristiq 50 mg?

Here is some information on tapering Pristiq:

Tips for tapering off desvenlafaxine (Pristiq)

Here is some information on tapering Zoloft:

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

Here is some information in the tapering strips so you understand exactly what they are:

Digestive problems:  Nausea, Diarrhoea, Bloating, GERD

Fear, terror, panic, and anxiety

Brain Zaps

After you read these links and answer whether you are indeed taking Zoloft or Pristiq, please reach out with any questions you may have.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Hi there,

I need to update that. I am taking Zoloft 50 mg. I was taking Pristiq a few months ago. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Merged new topic with original Introduction topic to keep history in one place.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

This is horrible. I followed this protocol and I’m at 37.5 mg now. Every muscle in my body aches. I can’t exercise anymore. Vivid dreams, anxiety, nausea. What should I do? Please someone reach out. I’m so nervous…should I reinstate to 45 mg? 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Jojomama: Beginning my Pristiq taper
  • Moderator Emeritus

Please update your drug signature.  There is no mention of your current Zoloft usage.  Include the dose and the date you started that dose so that we can see your increases/reductions at a glance.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

It sounds like you may be experiencing withdrawals symptoms from tapering too quickly.  However there is a possibility that you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms from Pristiq which is an SNRI whereas Zoloft is an SSRI so it may not be covering (or as you have lowered the dose more) the Pristiq withdrawal symptoms.

The idea of tapering is to keep withdrawal symptoms to a minimum and be able to live your life as normally as possible whilst getting off your drug.  Frogie has already provided the links for SA's taper protocol and how to get non standard doses of Zoloft.  SA's taper protocol is a guide only.

Non-drug techniques to cope

It is important to listen to your body/symptoms and hold for longer if you are not stable.

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Stability

WDnormal

And Brassmonkey talks more about it here:

tao-of-the-brassmonkey

12 hours ago, Jojomama said:

should I reinstate to 45 mg? 

I cannnot say whether going back to 45mg is okay because I don't know what the last dose was and when you made the reduction.  We need to know the doses and dates as requested above, before we can offer any suggestions regarding updosing.  However, when updosing it is generally better to make small increases than to risk taking too much, because the brain will already have made some adaptation to the lower dose.  Taking too much might make things worse.

Please post to let us know that you have added the information to your drug signature.  I will receive a notification when you post (but not when you change the signature).

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Hi chessie cat, 

I updated the signature. I reinstated 45 mg with liquid Zoloft last night. I’m a little better but not great. Still high anxiety, stomach issues, nausea. The chills subsided though.

• Moderator Emeritus

If you went directly from 45mg to 37.5mg that is a 16.6667% decrease, then it is not surprising that you experienced withdrawal symptoms.  A 10% reduction would have been 45mg > 40.5mg.

If you did not got directly from 45mg to 37.5mg, please add the extra doses in your drug signature.

I probably would have suggested making smaller increase, eg to 40mg not 45mg, which would have been almost the same amount you would have been taken if you had only reduced by 10%.

Please note that it takes about 4 days for a dose to get to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.

On 4/5/2022 at 4:27 AM, Jojomama said:

But I also don’t want to taper over a span of two years becuase I keep putting on weight from Zoloft and we want to have another baby in the future. 

We have members of SA who have tried to get off their drug too quickly and it has ended up taking them longer than if they had stuck to a careful taper and kept their withdrawal symptoms to a minimum.  Some of them have ended up adding an extra drug, which then has to be tapered and therefore taking even longer, and some have switched to a different drug and ended up having issues (possibly due to the withdrawal from the original drug not covered by the new drug, or adverse reaction/side effects from the new drug; because of the variables they often cannot work out what is causing their issues).

Hi chessie cat, 

I updated the signature. I reinstated to 45 mg with liquid Zoloft last night. I’m a little better but not great. Still, stomach issues, nausea. The chills subsided though and anxiety is a little better. I went directly from 50 to 37.5 mg which was a 25% decrease. Not smart at all. I wish I hadn’t got ahead of myself :(

• Moderator Emeritus

I think you are now going to have to do a long hold.  Please read the links I provided above about stability and WDnormal.

• Moderator Emeritus
7 minutes ago, Jojomama said:

I went directly from 50 to 37.5 mg which was a 25% decrease. Not smart at all. I wish I hadn’t got ahead of myself

Hopefully you have learned from your mistake.

With regards to your drug signature, please add 2022 in there so we can see the change from 2021 to 2022.

Just changed it, sorry for the confusion.

Do you think I should just go up to 50 for a while and reattempt later? The vivid dreams went away, I’m sleeping better, but I feel hypersensitive and sort of like a de realization feeling. 

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, Jojomama said:

The vivid dreams went away, I’m sleeping better

If this improvement happened after increasing to 45mg then that is a very good sign that the updose is working.  Please carefully read the following information.

On 4/13/2022 at 8:34 AM, ChessieCat said:

Please note that it takes about 4 days for a dose to get to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.

Please read the above quote.

You have only just updosed.  This is the time to be patient and try not to stress.  It is very easy to make bad decisions due to impatience and trying to fix things quickly.  When it comes to psychiatric drugs it can take time for the brain to adapt so we need to wait and give the brain the time that it needs without continually messing around with the dose and trying to find the "sweet spot".  If you notice an improvement during the first week then I suggest you hold on that dose.  If after one week there have been no improvements at all then you could try increasing by a very small amount, but not going back to 50mg.  You might find that adding an additional 1mg might be enough.

It is better to increase by small increments than to risk taking too much.  There are SA members who have ended up taking too high a dose and made things a lot worse.

It is better to compare how you feel with how you felt at your worst, not how you felt at your best or how you want to feel.  Any small improvement is good.

The idea of updosing isn't to get rid of withdrawal symptoms completely but to bring the withdrawal symptoms to a bearable level.

Edited by ChessieCat

Thank you so much for all of your advice. I plan to go very slowly! Made some more improvements today, felt tired and some feelings of derealization, but nausea is getting better, anxiety better, tearfulness is getting better. Thinking of switching to a compounding pharmacy to make capsules for me instead of liquid Zoloft. The liquid Zoloft seems to cause some gi upset after I take it along with it being a different manufacturer than my tablet Zoloft. I think it takes the hassle out of measuring too. 

• 3 weeks later...

@Jojomamahi there!  Just reading your intro.  I just wanted to chime in.  When I first started my decrease, I cut about 16% and by day 4 was having awful withdrawals.  Felt better in about a weeks time.  Held for two months before I started to cut 2-3% at a time and holding sometimes more than a week before my next reduction.

The fact that you are seeing improvements is a good sign.  I always find it helps when someone else has had a same experience.

hope you’re feel much better since it’s been a bit.

bestill

June 9th 2021 Mirtazapine 7.5 mg

June 24th Mirtazapine 11.25 mg

Oct 25th tapered 16% and had major withdrawals on day 4.

Oct 29th went up original dose.

Dec 28th 2021 @ 11.25 

Dec 31st 2022 @ 5.5 

Dec 31st 2023 2.4

Jan 15th 2024 @ 2.2

Mar 5th 2024 @ 1.9

Supplement from standard process-  these are made with wholefoods-calm five, magnesium cream.

Thanks Bestill,

I reinstated back to my original dose after a 25 % cut over 8 days. I have been on my reinstated dose for almost two weeks and still feeling the effects like anxiety, insomnia, an out of it spacey feeling and depression/can’t feel anything. It’s slowly getting better but it feels like forever. Any idea how long it takes to restabilize? Ugh. Thanks for your encouragement. I appreciate it. It’s so hard especially when you have little ones. 

@Jojomama  I know all about having to still be a mom while dealing with not feeling well at all.  It’s no fun.  I felt like within a week I wasn’t feeling like death but it was really toward the end of the first week.  Then over a period of a couple of weeks I was ok.  After the 8 weeks I didn’t feel worse and I didn’t feel amazing so that’s when I started to taper.  The first two months of tapering weren’t fabulous but I was able to push through.  It probably wasn’t until my third month of tapering where I was actually seeing some normalcy in my days.  I have to be careful tho and I’m learning.  When I feel good I push myself harder with exercise or just going back to old routines and I can’t do that right now.  So it’s definitely a process of learning what your body can tolerate.  And yes, everything seems soooo slow.  I always compare myself to how I was 3 months ago and it’s always a greater change over a longer period of time.

25% is quite the reduction.  Your body went on a wild ride and now it’s trying to balance back out and it will.  Trust that it will.  ❤️❤️  I will be here for the  ride if you need it.  We all need support.

June 9th 2021 Mirtazapine 7.5 mg

June 24th Mirtazapine 11.25 mg

Oct 25th tapered 16% and had major withdrawals on day 4.

Oct 29th went up original dose.

Dec 28th 2021 @ 11.25 

Dec 31st 2022 @ 5.5 

Dec 31st 2023 2.4

Jan 15th 2024 @ 2.2

Mar 5th 2024 @ 1.9

Supplement from standard process-  these are made with wholefoods-calm five, magnesium cream.

Thank you so much for the kind words and taking the time to talk to me. I am slowly making progress. Mood is lifting and anxiety is lifting. Still dealing with night mares, insomnia, and muscle weakness in the evening, I presume I’m still in slight withdrawal even though I reinstated 2.5 weeks ago :( seems like only time heals these things. It’s a crime against humanity to prescribe these things…