High blood pressure from the drug or withdrawal?

Nikki

High blood pressure runs in my family. Father and Brother have it. I have it.

I have feeling that ssri's are behind elevated levels. I do take Lisinopril and it works.

Weight gain from SSRI's contributes to HBP. However, and I don't remember where or when, I've read that even without weight gain, SSRI's can cause HBP.

I also believe that years of being on SSRI's have made cortisol (anxiety) run wild....

This year I want to get off HRT ~ followed by ~ Celexa taper. Estrogen replacement (bioidentical or not) raised Blood Pressure.

I want to get myself stabilized first and then begin the HRT taper. I've read that a 6 month taper is okay....

Who would have known that a great deal of my life would be devoted to TAPERING :o

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't be at all surprised if SSRI drugs cause high blood pressure. Lexapro most certainly made me hyperactive, and withdrawal, with its hypersensitivy, is certainly stressful.

As for HRT, I tried it once, gained weight and got headaches, and refused to take it after a few months. Getting off the hormones is a very good idea, IMO.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 2 weeks later...

Lexapro significantly raised my bp. Olive leaf extract lowered it.

Everything was ok. And then it wasn't.

Med History

11/2009- 50 mg Zoloft (1st ad ever) in combo w/.50 xanax for 2 weeks then use xanax as needed (1st benzo ever)

9 days on Zoloft, I was awake for 9 days straight C/T Zoloft

11/2009- trazadone to sleep for 2 weeks c/t Trazadone

12/2009 start 10 mg Lexapro w/ Xanax as needed

5/2010-3 week taper off lexapro

9/2010? back to Lexapro 10 mg after 5 or 6 weeks c/t leapro

12/2010-10mg paxil

5/2011-6 week paxil taper

8/2011 5mg lexapro

last lexapro pill January 7 2012

all this as per doc orders Thanks Doc!

• 4 weeks later...

I was reading Jemima's history and cholesterol was discussed, so I looked up the #'s.

The numbers have been lowered on two occasions which we were told was to keep us healthy and prevent heart disease/stroke.

I couldn't help but wonder if this is the Pharmaceutical Companies strategy for selling more medication. They keep upping the doses on SSRI's which has proven to be dangerous.

My HBP began when I went on Paxil. I gained alot of weight on Paxil. After that it was Lexapro another weight gainer. I have lost weight since my paxil/lexparo days and I am on HBP medication.

My cholesterol was high and I take Lovastatin which is on the AARP's list for drugs that cause depression.

Is there a link between SSRI's affecting or elevating Blood Pressure and Cholesterol?

Does anyone know?

Has anyone who is now drug-free found that their numbers dropped?

Thanks

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• Administrator

My blood pressure dropped when I was off ADs. It's now back to normal.

Antidepressants mess up the lipid metabolism, which is why they increase diabetes risk.

Since you gained weight on ADs, that's a sign that for you, at least, they've affected your lipid metabolism.

There are frequent news reports now that statins are overprescribed in general, and those blood cholesterol numbers are artificial, as you've observed.

So, Nikki, I think you are on the right track thinking that maybe your BP and cholesterol problems are related to your AD medication, and this may change when you're off it for a while.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I wasn't aware of the lowered numbers, but sounds like strategy to get more people into treatment range. Of course, it's 'a lifetime therapy'. Sounds familiar.

My lipids are not good right now and supposedly contributing to my Non-alcohol fatty liver disease (NAFLD). No treatment right now. I suspect it will resolve somewhat as my endocrine system gets on track. Estrogen deficiency is one factor in elevated lipids.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

I was reading Jemima's history and cholesterol was discussed, so I looked up the #'s.

The numbers have been lowered on two occasions which we were told was to keep us healthy and prevent heart disease/stroke.

I couldn't help but wonder if this is the Pharmaceutical Companies strategy for selling more medication. They keep upping the doses on SSRI's which has proven to be dangerous.

My HBP began when I went on Paxil. I gained alot of weight on Paxil. After that it was Lexapro another weight gainer. I have lost weight since my paxil/lexparo days and I am on HBP medication.

My cholesterol was high and I take Lovastatin which is on the AARP's list for drugs that cause depression.

Here is some additional information on statins:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/05/06/fda-warning-on-statins.aspx?e_cid=20120506_SNL_Art_1

According to Dr. Mercola, only individuals with a genetic inclination to high cholesterol combined with total cholesterol of 330 or greater should be on statins. Mine is currently 204 with an HDL/Total ratio of 36% (ideal is 24% or greater). My personal, normal range seems to be between 175 and 205. At the time I became severely depressed my total cholesterol was 134, thanks to Lipitor.

There is also evidence that "borderline high" and "high" cholesterol result in better cognitive function:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15673620 (Thanks to Rhi for this one.)

I absolutely believe that Big Pharma twists the numbers to suit themselves. About five years back there was also a push on to lower the ideal blood pressure numbers from 120/80 to 110/70. Big Pharma doesn't care if it kills or maims in the interests of making more money. Anything goes!

As for blood pressure, mine was all over the board during withdrawal despite taking medication. Now it's stabilized on the low side. If I can get it down a bit more, I'll likely trash the medication for that as well.

There was a time when I was afraid to move to the sticks because of distance from medical care. Now I think that might be a really good idea.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

I eat a lot of walnuts, nuts, and oat bran, plus all that fish oil, and niacinamide -- my bad cholesterol is kind of high but my good cholesterol is higher, with a ratio that is very good. Consequently, my doctor agrees no statins for me.

With the other stuff, I take 3 oat bran tablets and one cinnamon capsule every morning. Oat bran supposedly draws the cholesterol from your gut so you'll excrete it.

I minimize omega-6 fatty acids in vegetable oil. I cook with only olive oil.

I don't know if it's the supplements, but something is working. My cholesterol ratio, which was good before, improved over a year. (Also blood sugar went down.)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

I eat a lot of walnuts, nuts, and oat bran, plus all that fish oil, and niacinamide -- my bad cholesterol is kind of high but my good cholesterol is higher, with a ratio that is very good. Consequently, my doctor agrees no statins for me.

Walnuts and almonds are the best for raising the HDL/Total ratio. I even use walnut oil for salad dressings and baking (it burns easily, so it's not good for sauteing or frying).

Avoid transfats like the plague - that includes margarine and anything that has hydrogenated or partly hydrogenated fat on the label. Lots of microwave dinners are loaded with transfats, along with snack foods, fast food, and commerical baked goods.

The first time I attacked my "high" cholesterol (204) by eliminating transfats, the total number dropped to 177 in six months. Unbelievably, that's when my doctor put me on Lipitor because she wasn't satisfied with the HDL/Total ratio. :wacko:

My numbers did go down after I took Lovastatin. My doctor told me that in 3 months if the numbers don't go down more she would like to put me up to 80mgs. from 40mgs.

Lovastatin is mentioned in the link on this site from the AARP to be a med that causes depression.

Will read the link posted here....thanks

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• Administrator

The statins do work to decrease cholesterol, there's agreement on that.

The questions are 1) do cholesterol numbers need to be lowered to that extent, and 2) what the heck do the cholesterol numbers mean anyway?

Not everyone with "high" cholesterol should be taking statins, only people who have a certain type of cardiovascular history. Statins are another type of drug that has been hugely oversold for pharma profit.

The statins do work to decrease cholesterol, there's agreement on that.

The questions are 1) do cholesterol numbers need to be lowered to that extent, and 2) what the heck do the cholesterol numbers mean anyway?

Not everyone with "high" cholesterol should be taking statins, only people who have a certain type of cardiovascular history. Statins are another type of drug that has been hugely oversold for pharma profit.

Then you have someone like myself, where niacin therapy works better than statins. The cost is a lot cheaper. ($6.00 for a 60 day supply of 500 mg tablets, versus who knows what for statins)

History:

1995--Prozac--Quit CT by GP

1995--Effexor--Quit per my GP

1996--Amitriphene--Quit CT when changed GP

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.

I'm wondering if any of you have had luck with natural remedies for high blood pressure. I know a few have been mentioned in other topics, but I'm too overwhelmed to do a thorough search.

I can remember:

1. magnesium

2. olive leaf extract

This is not necessarily for withdrawal, but I know several people have mentioned having high BP during withdrawal. Since my dad died my mom has had sporadically high BP and I would like to help her.

Thanks.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• Moderator Emeritus

Has your mother been put on any drugs recently? I'm asking because a friend of mine was put on one drug after another for flu this past fall and developed high blood pressure for the first time in her life at age 75.

Aside from that, Hibiscus tea is reputed to work (Red Zinger is one brand), and here's an article from AARP about especially helpful foods:

http://www.aarp.org/health/medical-research/info-04-2011/6-foods-fight-high-blood-pressure.html

As usual, lots of fresh vegetables and fruits can combat just about everythig. Their high potassium content helps to balance any excess salt in the diet.

I'm not familiar with olive leaf extract, but magnesium is a natural calcium channel blocker and that's the essence of some prescription blood pressure drugs, such as the one I take (Isradapine), Procardia, and some others.

Hey Nadia,

Of course, I would check everything with a professional before taking any action. That said, I think you are probably aware of some of the basics like diet, nt smoking or drinking.

There are a handful of medications and alternative interventions. Here is a good page for ideas

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/hypertension-000087.htm

Best,

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Nadia I have HBP and it is under control with lisinopril. I know for myself, avoiding salt is a biggy and it does help.

You can google natural alternatives for HBP and alot of stuff will pop up.

Hugs

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Thanks, guys. My mom told me that she used to take medicine for HBP, but that it made her feel so awful that the doctor discontinued it. She said her BP was around 130/? (I always forget the lower number). But lately it's around 160/80.

My mom takes magnesium regularly, but I think she may have been low on potassium. She was getting cramps and took a potassium tablet that the doctor had prescribed back when she took the BP medication, because he said the BP medication lowered potassium. In any case, maybe she should take it regularly for a while.

And of the foods, the beet juice sounds interesting. My mom loves beet juice.

I also read that aloe vera juice with lemon can help. But maybe she'll have to take medication...

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, guys. My mom told me that she used to take medicine for HBP, but that it made her feel so awful that the doctor discontinued it. She said her BP was around 130/? (I always forget the lower number). But lately it's around 160/80.

I had a bad time on most blood pressure meds. Most of them made me dizzy or groggy or gave me nightmares, but Isradapine doesn't seem to have any side effects. When I first started taking it as a brand name drug (Dynacirc, a time-released version now manufactured by Glaxo), it did make me tired and sleepy in the mornings, but that went away after a couple of months. Your mother might want to ask about one or both of these drugs as they're rather obscure and most doctors wouldn't think of them.

The olive leaf extract worked wonders for my blood pressure. Also, green coffee bean extract.

Med History

11/2009- 50 mg Zoloft (1st ad ever) in combo w/.50 xanax for 2 weeks then use xanax as needed (1st benzo ever)

12/2010-10mg paxil

8/2011 5mg lexapro

How much of each - the magnesium and olive leaf extract?

thanks

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Did you take the olive leaf extract as a liquid or pill form?

Pill started with food science of Vermont. Great brand. Started one a day. Worked up to 3

Med History

12/2010-10mg paxil

8/2011 5mg lexapro

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

I haven't had chronic blood pressure problems but withdrawal made my blood pressure (and pulse rate) do all kinds of things.

I found acupuncture to be very helpful for that kind of regulation. Meditation is supposed to be good, too.

How about biofeedback? Has anyone tried that for high blood pressure?

• 1 year later...

In dr. office for routine visi, b/p unexpectedly 180/110. Weird with benzo right now (body wants more after AD taper). Ideas?

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

If it's from withdrawal, do you want to go on another chronic drug? I suggest acupuncture. I found it very effective for heart rate and blood pressure (mine is usually normal).

Also, make sure your electrolytes are in good order, particularly potassium and magnesium. Eat some high-potassium foods, such as avocados, spinach, lentils, potatoes, tomatoes.

• 5 months later...

Having had to go to hospital last night they did a few blood tests and took blood pressure and heat monitor. My blood pressure usually runs quite low. It was much higher last night. Could antidepressant/withdrawal increase blood pressure?

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

• Administrator

Yes. Please see other topics in this Symptoms and Self-care forum.

Having had to go to hospital last night they did a few blood tests and took blood pressure and heat monitor. My blood pressure usually runs quite low. It was much higher last night. Could antidepressant/withdrawal increase blood pressure?

Yes ive got higher bloodpressure from withdrawals, specially when my body was in extreme stress going thru worse withdrawals.

2007 - 2013: was on citalopram (tried to quit a few times, never worked, always went back on. max dose 40mg)

2012-2013: was tapering my citalopram all down to 2,5 mg then quit.
2013/aug: Took  my last pill 

W/D hit me bad after a few weeks off my medicine.

2014/August: 12 months off (much improved)

2015/April: 20months off. ( much improved, still some symtoms comes in waves, but not so intense.)

2015/june: 22months off. FELT different than before, all shakings suddenly stopped, feel much better. a fantastic feeling!

2016/Feb : 2 years and 6 months off, END of my suffering. I feel perfectly fine and back to normal. 
2018/Oct: Iam still feeling great. It is hard to believe my own story when I read back, what I went through!

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, during a pre op physical, my blood pressure tested high which I suspect is due from the sleep apnea and the chronic sleep deprivation.   It had tested fine in January but previously, it had been high.

As an FYI, I am thin and eat 6 to 9 cups of fruits and vegetables.  I am doing a paleo type diet but would consider switching to a mediteranean diet since it seems to help with low blood pressure.

Was going to increase my Q enzyme 10 which greatly helps but apparently, taking it up until the date of surgery can interfere with blood pressure control.   So I was thinking of giving olive leaf extract a shot.

Will also lower my caffeine intake, ate a small amount of dark chocolate and start drinking green tea several times a day.

Anyway, I have to do two weeks of readings and then go back to the doctor to see if I need a med.   I sure hope to heck I don't but I am prepared that I might need one since I fear overcoming the sleep deprivation might be tough.

If anyone has any thoughts or comments, I would greatly appreciate it.

CS

Edited by KarenB
merged similar topics

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Mine shot up from benzo problems. Alto recommended accupuncture. I couldn't afford it. To make a long story short, I need to stay away from BP drugs that affect the central nervous system, which leaves ACE inhibitors, diuretics and spironolactone. Good luck...I"m sorry you're dealing with yet another thing.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

Is yours still high Meimequest?   Sorry yours shot up.

I really can't afford accupuncture either as I would imagine it would several sessions to get it down.

CS

I'm going to take an ACE inhibitor throughout my benzo withdrawal. On it, my systolic blood pressure is 130's to 102, but it doesn't bother me being low. It was 200/110 at one time in MD office, then 120 when I got home. I was sooo anxious and some nurses on consecutive occasions gave me a hard time about tapering and I went into very major white coat phobia. Which is better now, but I think my PCP was about to fire me at that point. He kept saying "you've got to meet me partway here." So I decided to just take the medicine, and I am slowly tapering the beta-blocker which was a big mistake to ever start.

56 years old

Meimeiquest, thanks for posting the info on which drugs don't affect the CNS. I'm on a beta

blocker, which I have taken for 30years. Since coming off Cymbalta, it seems to be causing

me severe side effects. I think it is giving me bad headaches, constant nausea and stomach

upset, weakness,and I think may be causing some anxiety. How is your taper going with your

beta blocker? I wonder if I will ever be able to get off after 30 years on it. I will need

to be on something for my bp. I hope there will be something I can tolerate since it seems

Cymbalta changed my whole system.

2006-Cymbalta 60mg for lyme disease2009-Quit Cymbalta c/tFeb. 2010-Reinstated 60mg CymMar.2010 to May.2012 tapered Cym to 36mgMay 2012-Crossed over to 30mg CelexaMay 2012-Oct.2013 Tapered Celexa down to 2.5mgOct.2013-Switched to 30 beads CymbaltaDec.4,2013-Stopped Cymbalta at 17 beads<p>Akathisia hit at 6 wks off and continuesNow taking melatonin when needed for sleep.

Well, I'm tapering three drugs, I rotate in a circle. I've had to decrease my cuts to tiny, tiny ones, but I know I will get off eventually. I only took it for a couple of months before I had problems, but I was just destabilized in general. Counting adding in the Toprol, I have come off four drugs and am still working on three. So hopefully you are coming from a much better place. Just don't be alarmed if you run a fast pulse, that is a normal part of virtually anyone coming off.

56 years old

I'm going to take an ACE inhibitor throughout my benzo withdrawal. On it, my systolic blood pressure is 130's to 102, but it doesn't bother me being low. It was 200/110 at one time in MD office, then 120 when I got home. I was sooo anxious and some nurses on consecutive occasions gave me a hard time about tapering and I went into very major white coat phobia. Which is better now, but I think my PCP was about to fire me at that point. He kept saying "you've got to meet me partway here." So I decided to just take the medicine, and I am slowly tapering the beta-blocker which was a big mistake to ever start.

Oh, I definitely understand white coat phobia.  I think this whole board does. :)

I am sorry you had a bad experience with your medical team.  I lucked out and was very happy with the doctor I saw yesterday and plan to stay with her.   She was very calm and reassurring and had a great sense of humor.  I didn't the feel the phobia that I normally experience.

Well, I slept 3.75 hours on the machine last night so it will be interersting to see what effect that has on my blood pressure.   And I decided to try fish oil capsules even if I have to discontinue them in two weeks because according to some research, they help.  Just don't feel like trying another supplement for now and will stick to the ideas I mentioned previously.

CS

Blood pressure yesterday at CVS was 165/92.   But I may have taken it too soon after eating.

Today, out of curiousity, I didn't take any supplements and also consumed a few teaspoons of cayenne pepper which is known to be good for blood pressure.   And definitely waited enough time between eating and taking the reading.   This time, it was 148/87.

I realize the one at CVS is known to be inaccurate so it will be interesting to see what the BP monitor that should arrive today shows.   I will also stay off my supplements for a few days just to see if there any correlation I can see or not.   Probably not but in my opinion, everything is suspect especially when you are hypersensitive like I am and have a history of paraodoxical reactions.

Regarding supplements, I have changed my mind on them.  If it looks like I need to take something, I will probably go with an item that I wouldn't have to discontinue before surgery such as olive leaf extract which I don't think is a herb although  i will double check.

I am also going to try to make sure I consume as many foods as I can that are high in potassium because that seems to have a role in lowering blood pressure.   Not comfortable with taking a supplement.

And I have started eating dark chocolate that is 86% cacoa.   My favorate solution:)

CS

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy