Nadia

Non-drug treatments for high blood pressure

Nadia

I'm wondering if any of you have had luck with natural remedies for high blood pressure. I know a few have been mentioned in other topics, but I'm too overwhelmed to do a thorough search.

I can remember:

1. magnesium

2. olive leaf extract

This is not necessarily for withdrawal, but I know several people have mentioned having high BP during withdrawal. Since my dad died my mom has had sporadically high BP and I would like to help her.

Thanks.

Jemima

Has your mother been put on any drugs recently? I'm asking because a friend of mine was put on one drug after another for flu this past fall and developed high blood pressure for the first time in her life at age 75.

Aside from that, Hibiscus tea is reputed to work (Red Zinger is one brand), and here's an article from AARP about especially helpful foods:

http://www.aarp.org/health/medical-research/info-04-2011/6-foods-fight-high-blood-pressure.html

As usual, lots of fresh vegetables and fruits can combat just about everythig. Their high potassium content helps to balance any excess salt in the diet.

I'm not familiar with olive leaf extract, but magnesium is a natural calcium channel blocker and that's the essence of some prescription blood pressure drugs, such as the one I take (Isradapine), Procardia, and some others.

alexjuice

Hey Nadia,

Of course, I would check everything with a professional before taking any action. That said, I think you are probably aware of some of the basics like diet, nt smoking or drinking.

There are a handful of medications and alternative interventions. Here is a good page for ideas

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/hypertension-000087.htm

Best,

Alex

Nikki

Nadia I have HBP and it is under control with lisinopril. I know for myself, avoiding salt is a biggy and it does help.

You can google natural alternatives for HBP and alot of stuff will pop up.

Hugs

Nadia

Thanks, guys. My mom told me that she used to take medicine for HBP, but that it made her feel so awful that the doctor discontinued it. She said her BP was around 130/? (I always forget the lower number). But lately it's around 160/80.

My mom takes magnesium regularly, but I think she may have been low on potassium. She was getting cramps and took a potassium tablet that the doctor had prescribed back when she took the BP medication, because he said the BP medication lowered potassium. In any case, maybe she should take it regularly for a while.

And of the foods, the beet juice sounds interesting. My mom loves beet juice.

I also read that aloe vera juice with lemon can help. But maybe she'll have to take medication...

Jemima

Thanks, guys. My mom told me that she used to take medicine for HBP, but that it made her feel so awful that the doctor discontinued it. She said her BP was around 130/? (I always forget the lower number). But lately it's around 160/80.

I had a bad time on most blood pressure meds. Most of them made me dizzy or groggy or gave me nightmares, but Isradapine doesn't seem to have any side effects. When I first started taking it as a brand name drug (Dynacirc, a time-released version now manufactured by Glaxo), it did make me tired and sleepy in the mornings, but that went away after a couple of months. Your mother might want to ask about one or both of these drugs as they're rather obscure and most doctors wouldn't think of them.

ajnjj

The olive leaf extract worked wonders for my blood pressure. Also, green coffee bean extract.

Nikki

How much of each - the magnesium and olive leaf extract?

thanks

Nadia

Did you take the olive leaf extract as a liquid or pill form?

ajnjj

Pill started with food science of Vermont. Great brand. Started one a day. Worked up to 3

Altostrata

I haven't had chronic blood pressure problems but withdrawal made my blood pressure (and pulse rate) do all kinds of things.

I found acupuncture to be very helpful for that kind of regulation. Meditation is supposed to be good, too.

How about biofeedback? Has anyone tried that for high blood pressure?

Meimeiquest

In dr. office for routine visi, b/p unexpectedly 180/110. Weird with benzo right now (body wants more after AD taper). Ideas?

Altostrata

If it's from withdrawal, do you want to go on another chronic drug? I suggest acupuncture. I found it very effective for heart rate and blood pressure (mine is usually normal).

Also, make sure your electrolytes are in good order, particularly potassium and magnesium. Eat some high-potassium foods, such as avocados, spinach, lentils, potatoes, tomatoes.