Body temperature dysregulation: Heat, cold, & temperature change intolerance

squirrel

I can say for myself, yes, chills and shakiness are very prevalent.  Wearing a sweater in here and the thermostat says 72˚.  Not much you can do about shakiness.  Take a deep breath, I guess. 

Fall 2013: Celexa, Risperdal and Xanax (don't remember dosage)

Spring 2014: Switched to Fetzima, Prozac, Remeron and Ambien (again don't remember dosage)

Winter 2015: Switched to Effexor 150mg, Abilify 30mg and Temazepam 30 mg, Deplin 15mg

Spring 2015: Effexor up to 225mg, Abilify down to 20mg, Temazepam 30mg, Deplin 15mg

There was also klonopin somewhere along the way in there, but I don't recall when or how much.

3 November 2015: Failed to go off Effexor cold turkey (went down to 75mg), Abilify 20mg, Temazepam 30mg

6 December 2015: prescribed trazodone 50 and Wellbutrin 150mg, did not take and went off Effexor again

"You have to laugh at the things that hurt you just to keep yourself in balance."

—Ken Kesey 

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

This was the main reason I had to stop SSRI's . I wasnt able to regulate body temperature . I got so hot after exercise expecially hard cardio like Running or Hockey that I actually had 2 syncopes. Besides the Syncopes I got tremors and shakes with regularity.  During the first 6 months of WD I was quite the opposite. I would get cold and not be able to heat up. Now 14 months off and my body temp seems to be normal.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having a hard time with this. I feel like I have Parkinson's I'm shaking so much. Feet like ice, head & torso boiling & sweaty, shivers & shakes, no saliva, BP 150/100 pulse 107. Heart palpitations & tremor. Body feels like acid. No idea what my temperature is as I have no thermometer but I'm sweating and clammy at the same time. It's hell. Less severe than last week but hell all the same. I think seratonin storm is a good phrase for it even if it's inaccurate. I feel like a living tornado of symptoms. I wish I could switch it off.

2010: Adverse reaction to citalopram/suicidal.

2010-2014: Venlafaxine doses 75-150-300. Began to cause heart palpitations.

2014: Adverse side effects from Sertraline

2014: Adverse reaction to Mirtazipine/suicidal. CT withdrawal. 

2014: Accute adverse reaction to one prozac pill. Body & brain went on fire. Full WD

2015: Half dose of Lorazepam restarted all the WD symptoms. 

2017: Bad reaction to stopping propranolol beta blockers. Violent shaking WD again.
2023: Severe adrenaline surges triggered by low frequency sound/vibration next door. Heart rate going dangerously high so now 25mg atenolol.

Current Supplements: Omega 3 & Vitamin C, magnesium. 
Current other medications: Metformin (type ii diabetic), Lymecycline (for rosacea), Atenolol 25mg. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mentor

hi i'm withdrawing from lexapro, and I'm having wildly fluctuating body temps, from hot flushes (without sweating, so I don't think it's a hot flash, if it is, it's a dry one)

to being very cold, even when my apt is heated to 70 degrees (I normally keep my apt around 60 degrees and tolerate that quite well)

I also recently had a trial of clonidine for severe insomnia and I noticed it is also prescribed for hot flashes, so I wonder if it did something to my body's regulation of temp? it did make me cold when I was on it,

now that I am off it, my temp swings are horrible, from highs to lows. I ended up going back on a half tablet and that helped a bit.

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Catnapt,

Meow.  Sorry couldn't resist  ;)   Knew I'd read a thread about feeling hot/cold.  Found it here.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Mentor

Hi

Meow backatcha

just seeing this now, thanks so much for finding that for me ChessieCat

omg this is horrible, I am so cold- even when it's 70degrees in here, I turn the heat on, and put on sweatshirts and even a hat, just to warm up

then suddenly, wham! I can feel the heat just radiating out from inside me and I am racing to strip off the extra clothes, some times I strip down to no clothes, the heat is so bad

I know this is not night sweats or menopausal hot flashes, those have always come with sweating, and never last this long

this is hell

I am so angry at my doctor right now, I asked for the liquid generic lexapro and after a lot of back and forth with her nurse, etc, she refused to prescribe it, instead she called in a prescription for 5mgs lexapro (generic) with the instructions to take one a day for a month, then half of one a day for another month, and then we'd "talk about maybe going to every other day"

I'm currently taking 2.5mgs (1/8th of 20mg tablet)

and she wants me to double it, and they drop it down by 50%?!?!?

NOT HAPPENING!
I am so angry.

my sleep is starting to improve, in spurts (I can get decent sleep every OTHER night, which is ironic since, before I found this site, I was tapering doing 2.5mgs every other day)

this sucks sooooooooooo bad

in the time that it's taken to write this, I've gone from a normal temp to super hot, stripped off my hat and sweatshirt,

and now, I"m freezing again..........

oy!

gonna go stand in front of the heater and try to warm up

it's like 4:30 am here and I've not slept, so that's not helping much either

thanks again for finding that thread.

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106

Hey I was on 30 mg of Lexapro and ive had this problem for awhile. Im usually hot and cold at the same time. Overtime it should regulate but it can be uncomfortable

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

• Mentor

thanks Mort81

It is already a bit better, I am only getting the hot flushes now, no more of the cold

wow what a ride, eh?

Np. Ya an unbelievable ride! It kinda feels like getting blind sided by a truck!

Hey April did it go away? Im having some major body temperature issues now aswell. Im hot and cold at the same time plus cant quench my thirst. Even though Ive drank tons of water.

Hey April did it go away? Im having some major body temperature issues now aswell. Im hot and cold at the same time plus cant quench my thirst. Even though Ive drank tons of water.

No. The duration reduced a bit though which is some help I suppose though after all these weeks it doesn't feel like it much, it's exhausting. I have thirst too, even though I'm also drinking loads, I think that's because too much cortisol means you don't release enough vasopressin and the urine doesn't concentrate or something. I'm imagining if it's not concentrating then there's fluid that is not ending up where it should in my body. My skin is very dry too and I have no saliva in the mornings and can't eat either. 

2010: Adverse reaction to citalopram/suicidal.

2010-2014: Venlafaxine doses 75-150-300. Began to cause heart palpitations.

2014: Adverse side effects from Sertraline

2014: Adverse reaction to Mirtazipine/suicidal. CT withdrawal. 

2014: Accute adverse reaction to one prozac pill. Body & brain went on fire. Full WD

2015: Half dose of Lorazepam restarted all the WD symptoms. 

2017: Bad reaction to stopping propranolol beta blockers. Violent shaking WD again.
2023: Severe adrenaline surges triggered by low frequency sound/vibration next door. Heart rate going dangerously high so now 25mg atenolol.

Current Supplements: Omega 3 & Vitamin C, magnesium. 
Current other medications: Metformin (type ii diabetic), Lymecycline (for rosacea), Atenolol 25mg. 

Ya its no fun. My akathisia stopped but this symptom has been tough aswell. Im drinking electrolyte drinks to help. See if it works. Lemon, water, Himalayan Salt and Raw Honey. Or I have a sports drink called bio steel. Im trying both. Im also taking on and off clothes throughout the night to try and stay at a good temp.

I hope it goes away for you soon April

• Moderator Emeritus

Made me think of coconut-water too - is meant to be re-hydrating. 

Im drinking electrolyte drinks to help. See if it works. Lemon, water, Himalayan Salt and Raw Honey.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Ya coconut water is a good idea aswell. I bought some. This evening has been tough. So hot and cold at the same time plus again I can't quench my thirst. Mouth is so dry and uncomfortable. This only started for me about a month ago off and on now.

• 8 months later...

I live in the east coast for years, handled -10 degrees no problem in college. Now I need it to be exactly 60-70 degrees. Good thing I live in southern California near the beach now. Best for withdrawal. If it's too hot, I can't handle it.

Update 8122017

Zoloft  2004. Effexor 2004-2006. Paxil 20 mg for 2006-2010. Ct 2010, bad effects back on, stable by 2011.  Poopout June 2015. Zoloft with paxil for a while, stopped Zoloft.

Sep 2016 paxil 16.2 mg alone(295 mg pill weight). Started tapering 11/14/2016.

Took off 1 mg pill weight(total pill weight of 20 mg = 365 mg and 16 mg is 295 mg). Went down 1 mg per week of pill weight so down to 291 mg by end of November. Starting getting anxiety issues starting since 12/10/2016. Hoping that a faster taper will help.

12/14/2016 - 15.95 mg (291 mg pill weight)

12/16/2016 -  15.83 mg (289 mg pill weight)

12/23/2016 -  15.67 (286 mg pill weight)

8/12/2017 -  15.34 (280 mg pill weight)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm curious if any of the men who are withdrawing experience hot flashes and sweating.  I have mainly chalked them up to menopausal symptoms that have been intensified by wd  

I know there is temperature dis-regulation during withdrawal but was curious if the sweating and hot flashes were  symptoms for men as well.

And when they occur, am or pm?

I know some of this will sort itself out when I am finally of my meds but any feedback would be great. 

Thanks. 

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

Hi Hibari,

My son, age 22, has definitely had what I would describe as hot flashes. I have them myself, so when he describes them to me I recognize them as being very similar to my own. He has been off meds for just over 3 years, and the hot flashes have diminished tremendously. They were worst for the first 1 1/2 years. He has to keep a fan by his bed and another near his desk for when the hot flashes hit. He also complained of feeling really cold sometimes, or of being too hot in one part of his body (often his face), while being too cold in another part (kidney region).

He also experienced sweating, but it was primarily his hands and feet, not the face/neck/torso sweats that we typically get with menopause.

Time of day was all over the map.

All of his symptoms of temperature dis-regulation are definitely decreasing over time.

Siskin

Raven's med history:

2001-2006 Paxil 40g

5/06 - 7/06 off meds

7/06 - 10/13 Prozac

4/12 - 11/12 Abilify

11/12 - 12/12 Risperdal

12/12 - 3/13 Geodon

7/13 - 10/13 tapered off Prozac

10/13 - present: med free

Thanks so much for your response Siskin.

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

I have occasional hot flashes too, at random times with no clear instigation. Meds increased my sweating overall, but since tapering I notice times where I sweat even more than "normal". Again, randomly.

4/24/16: 20 mg citalopram

8/1/16: 15 mg

8/22/16: 10 mg

9/16/16: reinstated to 12 mg

12/1/16: 11 mg

2/20/17: 10 mg

11/20/17: CT, med free

1/18/18: began regimen (keto, synthroid, supps, etc.)

11/21/18: off keto, lowered synthroid, began exercise

2/07/19: off synthroid/all supps

4/15/19: began tirosint (clean version of synthroid, with less side effects)

I get the hot flashes and sweating , at random any time of the day they can last 10 minutes or 2 hours , and even when I am having a hot flash I can feel cold inside , I hate them had them for 3 years now daily , no end insight , can't take supplements to help as any supplement ramps up my cns

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

Thank you Rowing Hippy and Terry for letting me know.  I don't want to make any unnecessary adjustments to anything while I am tapering including my hormones.

H

I get the hot flashes and sweating , at random any time of the day they can last 10 minutes or 2 hours , and even when I am having a hot flash I can feel cold inside , I hate them had them for 3 years now daily , no end insight , can't take supplements to help as any supplement ramps up my cns

Mine happen early every morning and then randomly in the day.  Usually I feel a wave of nausea and then I flush.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Yes, men get the withdrawal hot flashes and sweats too. Since joining this site I've read numerous posts written by males reporting these symptoms.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 4 weeks later...

for the last 4 weeks now I have been woken at about the same time 5.00 am , as my body is so hot I can feel the heat that's what wakes me , I am dripping in sweat , the covers are soaked it is like I have just got out of a swimming pool and got into bed , but as hot as I am my body is shaking with cold , I have to get up and for the next 2 to 3 hours my body just shakes and trembles , this just came out of the blue and it is the same now every morning , I have been in withdrawel 3 years now , so what's brought this on , is they anything I can do or take to alleviate this , it's absolutely hell , I can't stop shaking , is it cortisol related . I sleep well enough asthe mirtazapine knocks me out , and my room is so dark no light what so ever but this has just come out of nowhere , I'm starting to worry about going to sleep now as I know what's waiting for me in the morning ,

Terry,

These symptoms (and all that stuff about cortisol spikes I read) sound to me just like like acute anxiety.  I am not a doctor, but remember the countless mornings, decades ago, when I lived with this torture every morning for spells of several months.

In those days, the classic signs of clinical depression or "having a nervous breakdown" included quickly going into a drugged deep sleep (usually due to benzos being prescribed) then early waking accompanied by profuse sweating, worry and agitation and no hope of getting back to sleep that morning.  Falling asleep in the afternoon or evening usually reinforced the screwy cycle, thus setting oneself up for a repeat early next morning.

Myself, I was going into (diagnosed) clinical depression - sometimes referred to on here as "depression" in apostrophes, for some reason - and was (wrongly as it turns out) first prescribed a tranquilliser (Ativan).

This was 40 years ago and I have much of the time been a lot better than that, but just getting by on the dreaded Effexor (stalled at 150mg) and previously, Anafranil.

Some of us on here may not be strong enough to feel better without ADs, but one can always hope to get on a stable platform of sorts before trying to sail off into the sunset where AD side effects can be left behind, too.

I believe the purpose of this admirable website is to support those who want to give up mental health support from pharmaceuticals.  The mods on here prefer to talk about totally escaping from ADs, but their pooled knowledge should be able to offer some guidance to those of us not yet fit enough to embark on this dangerous mission. 

Love & Best wishes. 

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

Thank you peng , the thing is I don't wake anxious, just very hot , but cold inner trembling and sweating , every morning I have changed nothing go to bed at the same time , block out all light , etc , but waking up in a pool of sweat every morning it's horrible to start the day , don't want to start mucking about with my adrenals and all that , I'm wondering if I might benifit from trying seriphos , hopefully a moderator will have something to contribute

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I'm 30 months off Escitalapram.  I'm healing but extremely slowly.  Sensitivities seem to be a little worse.  I can't workout any longer (I took a 2 month break than couldn't return) and can't really spend time in the sun which is fairly new.  

Anyone else?

1996-2014 - 3mg Clonazepam - Started weaning off in 2010, took 4 years.  All is fine.

2010-2014 - 30mg - 180mg percocets per day.  Quit CT in 2014.  All is fine.

2010-2014 - Mixed in Suboxen while not on percs... 8mg-32mg per day.  Quit CT in 2014.  All is fine (I think)  Opiates don't fully work yet.

2015 - Quit smoking weed, all is fine.

2015- Stopped drinking, all is fine.

2015-  Stopped drinking coffee, all is fine.

2010-2014 - 10mg of Lexapro for first 2 years, then 15mg for another 2 years

Quit over 3 week period - still experiencing bad withdrawal, but very slowly getting better... too slow.  

9/4/2015 - Reinstated 1mg liquid Lexapro.  So far, it's not helping... maybe hurting but not sure yet.

9/5/2015 - Stopped the 1mg, made it worse.  I will ride it out, currently drug free.

"The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory"

• 2 weeks later...

So relieved to see this topic thread! It is August: dry and breezy. I am wearing socks,  long pants, two fleeces, and am drinking soup.

But if it get hot I wilt and cannot function. My optimal range is 16-24 degrees C.

Jan 2023: Venlafaxine XR 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.25 mg, Oestradiol 100 micrograms

Dec 2022: Venlafaxine XR 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.25 mg. HRT stopped for hysterectomy surgery 5 Dec 22 (potential clotting risk)

September 2022: Venlafaxine XR 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.25 mg, Oestradiol 100 micrograms, Progesterone 100 mg.

Apologies but I can't remember or find details at the moment, but I slowly reduced Venlafaxine and Lorazepam through 2020-2021-2022.

Jan 2022: HRT increased by GP for unknown reason to oestradiol patch 100 microg, progresterone 100 mg

June 2021: started HRT (oestradiol patch 50 microg, progresterone 100 mg). 

August 2020:  Made a 16% reduction in Lorazepam at psychiatrist's recommendation (1.25 mg) while holding Venlafaxine at 150 mg.

March 2019 - March 2020: Venlafaxine  XR tapered from  337.5 mg  to 150 mg (60% reduction), while continuing 1.5 mg Lorazepam.

March 2016 - January 2019: Mirtazapine taptered to 0, while continuing on 1.5 mg Lorazepam and 375 mg Venlafaxine XR.

Feb. 2015: 7.5 mg Mirtazapine + 1.5 mg Lorazepam + 375 mg Venlafaxine.

• 2 months later...

Seems the same for me.  Some things have changed or at least slightly better, while others have gotten worse or new things have arisen.

Lexapro 1/17 - 3/17 10 mg.  Switched to Elavil 3/27/17 10 mg

Upped to 20 mg June 5, 2017 3 days, back down to 10mg June 8

Up again to 20 mg June 12, 2017 4 days, back down to 10 June 16

9/17 dropped to 9.5 mg

11/17 dropped to 9.3mg

2/18/17 dropped to 8.8 mg

February 14/2018 Adverse reaction to zofran pill at clinic

10/7/19 8.48 mg

12/22/19 7.3 mg, 2/7/20 6.5 mg, 5/23/20 5.84 mg,  5/7/23 .70 mg

Hi Meeto and LostinSpace,

I'm 24 months off of escitolopram and experiencing similar. Was sensitive to the sun this past summer. Would develop a heat rash and extreme exhaustion if I spent too much time in the sun. It seems to have gotten a bit better.  Developed very dry eyes for the past 3 months and it seems to have gotten slightly better in the past few days. Things are still morphing and changing daily, hourly. But overall, healing is definitely taking place. 

Celexa 10 mg ( approx 5 years), reduced to 5mg (approx 10 years). Prescribed for anxiety and panic. Started tapering July 2015-2.5 mg for a month, then 2.5 every other day. Kept tapering until October when I took my last crumb.  Almost 4 years drug free and WD symptoms are evolving constantly. Some improved, some new. 

I used to do great in the sun and heat! Now after quitting celexa 1.5 yes ago the sun kills me. Dizziness.. Racing heart.. Out of it.. Tired  etc. Have to take it slower than I like! 

Current age - 29

At Ages 16- 20 Celexa 40 mg 

2014- September through February of 2016 ( 18 months) Celexa 20 mg

Tapered for Several months

Celexa free since February of 2016

• 2 weeks later...

YES! I never believe I'm in a window because I have some symptoms that are better, but my main ones can be worse. I always imagined people in windows had relief of all symptoms. So its good to see i'm not alone in that people get worse for some symptoms but good for others. 

• Moderator Emeritus

From What is Happening in Your Brain

On 27/12/2015 at 6:37 AM, Altostrata said:

Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are [...] to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were [...] to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and [...] to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while [...] is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made. 

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 3 weeks later...

Me too. It is horrible this cold. For me, it come when i am in resting position but not the day, only the evening. 

If i come back in my house and sit in the sofa to see a TV programm, it comes. It seems the problem is activity/inactivity transition.  

I have very very cold, then i have tremor (i suppose the body try to upgrade my body temperature) and when tremor comes, i have diarhea.

When i have tremor, to avoid teeth problem i put a pacifier (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacifier) in my mouth, the time the crisis to stop. 

(pacifier sell for baby more than 18months)

Look like a baby, but really it help me. I can leave the mouth crisped bitting this pacifier without preoccuping myself about my teeth.

I was not sure if it was real or not so i mesured my body temperature with a Forehead thermometer puting it in my front and in my palm hand to see. There is a real difference in temperature in palm hand between while crisis and after. 

After having really cold, i often have too hot.

(i am french)

1998 prazépam, citalopram /1999 paroxetine prazepam /2000 paroxétine /2001venafaxine, alprazolam, clomipramine * 2002 (dont remember)/2003 clomipramine, alprazolam /2004 clomipramine /2005 alprazolam /2006(dont remember) * 2007citalopram, alprazolam, prazépam, venlafaxine /2008(dont remember) /2009 venlafaxine /2010 venlafaxine *All precedent withdrawal were very fast. I tried many times to stop but didn't know what happened. *2011 mirtazapine (22,5 mg) , norset , risperdal (cold turkey for risperdal and norset, analysis by doctor say that my body does not support and i was in danger) /2012 mirtazapine / 2013 mirtazapine  *october 2014 mirtazapine (15mg) - putting down slowly.   *when i was good for one month i  down 1ml. (1ml of 100ml of water in which there was 1 pill of 15mg of mirtazapine. At the end i remove 1ml of 50ml of water but with 0,5 pill it does the same concentration.) (i down more like "how i feel, because at the beginning i had a calendar tapping 10% every 15 days and i was really bad, so i decided to see one month and after if i was trust in my body, i remove 10% of the dose at the beginning; and at the end i remove 1ml (when the 10% was lower than 1ml). It was more how i feel. (it is just the last 1 ml that i remove rapidly because i think i was attached mentally and i need to break. and 1ml of 50ml of 15/2mg is just 1ml correspond to 0.15mg. ).  -juillet 2017 stop all. 

nov 2017 tetany and gastritis. I found "euphytose", "spasmine", "phyto-stress" from Govital(the more efficient if crisis because more concentrated)  efficient. If very bad i take valerian extract 1000mg (stop crisis). 

january 2022: I survive. Still having no hunger sensation.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy