Saulgood: Lexapro Adverse Reaction After Two Doses

saulgood

Hello,

I was recently prescribed 10mg of Lexapro for mild presentation anxiety, mild social anxiety, and life stress. I took two doses which resulted in 4 days of insomnia, brain zaps, nonstop panic attacks. Finally fell asleep after being prescribed 25mg of hydroxyzine. For the next 3 weeks, I only had some minor head tingles that I could mainly just feel shortly after waking up. It was more of an annoyance than anything, but all was well. I just graduated from college and most of the stress I had been experiencing was regarding big job/relocation decisions. It all went downhill when I found out I got a job that I had been trying to get for a few months. I guess my nervous system was not capable of handling the excitement. The tingles started to get a little bit worse, my eyelids started to twitch, I had some pins and needles, couldn't sleep. Then, I had a vacation planned two days after in which I got engaged. The entire trip I had some progressing tingles and feelings of mild pending panic. After getting back from the trip, I began having daily panic attacks, internal vibrations, persisting eyelid vibrations, difficulty concentrating, depression that set in after the fact due to the fatigue and hopelessness from the attacks I had been having. The attacks resulted in chest tightness and "out of my mind" panic so severe that resulted in two trips to the ER. I had never had a panic attack in my life prior to lexapro, and I have always been able to cope with life changes and stressors without any major issues. Granted, this one was a larger life change since it involved me moving away from home for the first time. I know for a fact I would not be having these same issues if I had not taken Lexapro. Since I have moved and started the job, I have had no reason for stress or anxiousness. It has still been three weeks of dealing with daily chest locking up episodes, extreme headaches, internal vibrations, depression (which I had also never experienced in my life), and extreme anxiety symptoms with no anxiety trigger present. It has been pretty miserable. I was recently prescribed 12.5mg of Zoloft which was started a week ago. The timing of all of the life changes has to have a role in this, but I know I wouldn't be having any of these issues if I had never taken Lexapro. In your opinion, was it a mistake to start Zoloft? I have not been able to stand the current symptoms I have been having. Any guidance or reason for hope would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by arbor

Lexapro- April 17-18, 2021

Zoloft- June 17, 2021-Present

• arbor changed the title to Saulgood: Lexapro Adverse Reaction After Two Doses
  • Moderator Emeritus

Dear @saulgood,

Welcome to SA.

We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  I'm so sorry you're experiencing these symptoms.  As you can read on this site, they are not unusual.  We ask members to please give us specific information about your drug history:  names, dates and dosages of each medication decrease or increase for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months.  The link below provides instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some information about how these powerful medications can effect us:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

11 hours ago, saulgood said:

I know I wouldn't be having any of these issues if I had never taken Lexapro.

It can take awhile for our systems to stabilize from these medications.  Right now it's hard to tell how much you may be reacting still to your initial doses and how much you are suffering from subsequent withdrawal.  You will eventually stabilize, but how long we don't know.  You may also be having a reaction to the reinstatement with Zoloft.  Are you finding that it is helping your symptoms?  How is your sleep?  Here are some cites that address these issues.

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Audio:  How to Recover from Anxiety - Dr Claire Weekes

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

11 hours ago, saulgood said:

Any guidance or reason for hope would be greatly appreciated.

As I'm not a medical doctor, I can't advise you professionally.  My lay-person's experience is to recommend that you hold on your current dose unless symptoms are getting worse, at which point moderators more experienced than I can suggest making changes.  The aim at this point is to stabilize your system.  A reinstatement can do that, but there is also a risk that it won't.  This site can explain this:

about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms

Further down the line you can decide whether you want to taper off Zoloft.  My own experience of many years on Zoloft is a cautionary tale.

Again, it's amazing how destructive these medications can be, and I am really sorry you're having to go through this.  The good new however is that people do recover.  I recommend reading the Success Stories whenever you need to:

Recovery Success Stories

This is your Introduction site where you can ask questions and connect with other members.

I'm glad you've found us. 

Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

Thank you for the reply. I had been having these symptoms for a month before trying the zoloft. After a week on zoloft, I feel the same as I did prior to starting the medication. I have actually been sleeping really well for the past few weeks, so that part is a plus. It has just felt recently as if my nervous system is extremely sensitized. It has seemed as if I never had a chance to really let my nervous system stabilize from the lexapro before having to handle a bunch of sudden life changes.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi @saulgood

17 hours ago, saulgood said:

It has seemed as if I never had a chance to really let my nervous system stabilize from the lexapro before having to handle a bunch of sudden life changes.

That makes sense to me.  I'm glad to hear you're sleeping well.  When you say:

17 hours ago, saulgood said:

After a week on zoloft, I feel the same as I did prior to starting the medication.

do you mean the medication of Lexapro or Zoloft?

Also, we still need to have you fill out your signature, 

How to List Drug History in Signature

Best wishes,

Arbor

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

I feel the same after starting Zoloft as I did just a couple of weeks ago before beginning Zoloft. The only difference I have noticed is worse headaches than I had previously been getting. They have been pretty severe for the past few days. Chest tightness that comes and goes has been about the same, as well. The depression only comes from times of feeling hopeless due to the bad waves of physical symptoms that seem to come up. I am worried that starting zoloft was a mistake, but I am holding onto some hope that it will stabilize within the next few weeks and at least calm my anxiety enough to where I can function without major issues. I really believe I would have gotten away from the Lexapro fiasco without any of these current issues if I were to not have had a bunch of stressful and anxiety inducing life changes to throw a wrench into the recovery of my nervous system. When reinstatement works, does it usually provide immediate relief or does it take some time? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi @saulgood,

I'm sorry you're having to go through these bad waves of physical symptoms and depression.  It doesn't sound as if the Zoloft is helping.  I encourage you to go back to this site listed above as it will be able to address some of the questions you're having now:

On 6/25/2021 at 4:46 PM, arbor said:

about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms

After Reinstating or Updosing, How Long To Stabilize?

Stabilizing after a reduction -- what does that mean?

If you decide you'd like to taper off Zoloft, here is a site for tapering:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?  (The general philosophy of gradual tapering)

A slow taper will not only minimize withdrawal symptoms, it will give you the best chance at getting through the post-withdrawal year or two without having to go back on the drug. 

Its also important to taper slowly as the dose gets lower. What we recommend is a taper that's based on a percentage of your current dose not of your original dose. Here is why: Why taper? Paper demonstrates importance of gradual change in plasma concentration

I know these are hard decisions.  Once these drugs have been introduced into our systems, we are often dealing with symptoms we never anticipated, nor were educated about ahead of time.  I send you my best wishes as you move toward recovery.

Also, if you could include in your signature the dosages of your medications, thank you. 

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

Arbor