SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

kats: discontinuation symptoms after taking mirtazapine for 10 days

kats

still having discontinuation symptoms - 3 months out after 10 days of mirtzapine

I had come here for advice on doing a short taper.  I was on 7.5 mg of mirtazapine for 5 days and did a 5 day taper after that after experiencing acute negative reaction (chest pain, negative physical symptoms).  I am a covid long-hauler who was prescribed this for insomnia.  My first month off horrible physical withdrawal.  My anxiety has been off the charts - first month was almost intolerable.  Now it's somewhat manageable, but still very intense, worse in the mornings.  (and my insomnia is still horrible).  also a lot of intrusive thoughts including ideation.

I know that they say this can last months even after short term low dose use (of course my doctor does not agree...)

I am wondering if you can offer any additional information, suggestions, etc.

I really want to supplement with xanax when the anxiety is bad, but I think that can prolong the withdrawal effects?  I've tried CBD a once or twice and that did not help - and in one case about 6 weeks ago, it seemed to make it worse.  

I am really struggling, appreciate any input, advice, references.  thank you

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before reducing original
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, kats.

To start:

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

What you are experiencing is not withdrawal.  It is an adverse reaction to the drug Mirtazapine, which means basically that the drug is poison to your system.  The symptoms of an adverse reaction are very similar, if not identical, to those of withdrawal. 

The symptoms you describe are typical of adverse reaction/withdrawal.  They are not permanent and will go away, but we can't predict how long it will take.  Everyone is different.

You need to be very careful if you decide to take Xanax.  Physiological dependency can result from 2 to 4 weeks of regular use of a benzo like Xanax and can also result from intermittent use.  Another consideration is the fact that you had an adverse reaction to the Mirtazapine, indicating you have a sensitive nervous system and could have adverse reactions to other psychiatric drugs.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Gridley changed the title to kats: still having discontinuation symptoms - 3 months out after 10 days of mirtzapine

Also can you confirm that even with acute reaction I can expect to experience windows and waves is that correct?  Trying hard to hold on.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

@kats

Please create your drug signature.  This will allow members to see your drug history whenever you post and will give your posts context; it will also mean that you will not have to explain your history every time you post.  Thank you.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 3 weeks later...

Lithium orotate

I am wondering about any guidance regarding OTC lithium orotate?  I have been off any anxiety meds for over a year and really struggling to find some balance and relief from EXTREME issues.  This was recommended to me and it seems like a good potential alternative.  Anyone have experience?  I have long haul covid so everything is a wild card for me anyway...but I am really struggling and desperate 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic
  • ChessieCat changed the title to kats: discontinuation symptoms after taking mirtazapine for 10 days
  • Moderator Emeritus

There are many existing topics on SA.  Before creating a new topic please do a search to see if one already exists.  SA prefers to keep similar information in one topic so it is easier to find.

Here is SA's existing topic:

lithium-orotate

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

This has been already been requested twice before:

On 8/30/2022 at 10:54 AM, ChessieCat said:

@kats

Please create your drug signature.  This will allow members to see your drug history whenever you post and will give your posts context; it will also mean that you will not have to explain your history every time you post.  Thank you.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Edited by ChessieCat

Hi - apologies - I keep adding my information but it does not appear.  😞  And i did search for the topic prior to posting but did not find the information I was looking for, just people saying they were going to try the OTC version.  

thank you

• Mentor
2 hours ago, kats said:

- I keep adding my information but it does not appear

Hello, make sure that after you’ve done your signature you press “save”. It’s easy to miss, let’s see if that helps ☺️

am not a medical professional. I provide information and make suggestions based on my own experience and SA guidelines. I am unable to respond to private messages. 

Mirtazepine 15mg Nov 2018 -April 2019  April - Sept 2019 Mirtazepine down to around 6mg - skipping days to taper

October 2019 - Dec 2019 unwell from failed taper including jumping about in doses 

15 December 2019 to 13 June 2021 15mg Mirtazepine 

14 June 2021 started brass monkey Slide.  
2021: 23 August 12.3mg, 28 October 11.1mg, 6 Dec 10mg

2022: 12 Feb 8.5, 25 Oct 4.5mg

2023: 16 Jan 3.6mg, 28 Sept 1.8mg

Hello Kats,

I am very sorry you are going through this. We are here to support you.
The first thing to keep in mind is that this is all temporary. You will get better, in fact, you already started recovering! On this forum you will find countless resources and you will meet people will help you along the way!

I wanted to chime in against adding any medication in this situation. I did not know better and I got CT'D after an adverse reaction and my symptoms exploded after that. I am now dealing with the aftermath of 1) an adverse reaction, 2) PWS and 3) neural destabilization from a prescription cascade.

I wouldn't mess too much with supplements right now too, trying the magnesium would be a solid conservative move at this point.

As for a benzo, my policy is "Klonopin when I'm at my wits' end". Xanax has a very short half life and might bring rebound symptoms. If you decide you might need a benzo to get through this one with a longer half life is more suitable. That said, there is always the risk if disrupting your system further, so, listen to your body. If you decide to take it the smallest dose would be best.

Keep us posted, do update your signature!

December 2021 - Metoclopramide started. Akathisia symptoms start; Metoclopramide gets changed to PRN.

March 2022 - Akathisia diagnosed; Metoclopramide stopped; Propranolol 10mg x twice a day. Biperiden PRN (0.5mg to 1mg).

April 2022 - Tandospirone 30mg (10mg 3x day), Quetiapine 25mg (only taken once, immediate adr). Mirtazapine 7.5mg. . Discontinued Propranolol.

May 2022 - Mirtazapine upped to 15mg. Tandospirone cut to 2x 10mg. Low dose Depakote for the month; 100 to 200 to 100 to 0. Mirtazapine cut back to 11.75mg (3/4 of a 15mg pill).
June 2022 - Mirtazapine updose to 15mg. Tandospirone, Biperiden discontinued. Klonopin started PRN (0.5mg). 
September 2022 - Akathisia slowly starts improving, WD/ADR normal sets in in mid September. Hold for 4 months.
March 2023 - Off mirtazapine; no Klonopin for 5 months either! Started quercetin (250mg x 2) to soften the histamine rebound.

May 2023 - Stopped quercetin and changed from magnesium carbonate to oxide - reacted badly. Reverted back to carbonate. 
June 2023 - Added fish oil.
Current regimen: CALM Magnesium (Carbonate into Citrate) 175mg x2; Vitamin E 268mg x2; Fish oil (100mg Omega3; EPA 30mg; DHA 37mg)x2
Intro thread: 
https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/27095-portuguesesea-metoclopramide-akathisia-and-mirtazapine/

• Moderator Emeritus

@kats

I have just found this post: