Usman36: Tapering Risperidone?

Usman36

Hi, My name is Usman and I'm from Pakistan. I'm new to this community. I have been on risperidone for more than 2 years now, it was prescribed for bipolar disorder (I don't know if I have or had bipolar, I was just very sick).

This drug is ruining my life, I feel so disabled and find it difficult to work or be productive. I want to stop taking it but my psychiatrist wants me to continue. Where should I get help from? 

I have fear that If I stopped, my old symptoms might come back & I don't want to lose my mind again. But at the same time, I want to stop taking it as I know the damage these drugs can cause. So please, I want as much information as possible on how I can safely stop taking this drug. Should I consult a regular doctor and have him take me off? 

Please advice,

Thanks.

Edited by Gridley
name to title

Current Medications: 
1. Risp 1mg (Risperidone)

2. Kempro 5mg Procyclidine (5mg)

• manymoretodays changed the title to Usman36: Tapering Risperidone?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Usman96.

To start:

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

We are a site for helping members taper off psychiatric drugs.  As with other psychiatric drugs, we recommend tapering Risperidone at a rate of no faster than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.  This link explains why.  Please read it carefully.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The following link is specifically about tapering Risperidone, inching how to get the non-standard doses needed for a 10% taper.  Again, please read it carefully.  If liquid Risperidone is available in Pakistan, that would be an easy and accurate way to get your doses and taper the drug.  If it's not available, the following link gives information about other methods to get your doses.

Tips for tapering off risperidone (Risperdal)

You asked whether you should consult a doctor to take you off Risperidone.  That is your decision.  It has been our experience that the vast majority of doctors know nothing about safely tapering off psychiatric drugs.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

12 hours ago, Gridley said:

Welcome to SA, Usman96.

To start:

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

We are a site for helping members taper off psychiatric drugs.  As with other psychiatric drugs, we recommend tapering Risperidone at a rate of no faster than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.  This link explains why.  Please read it carefully.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The following link is specifically about tapering Risperidone, inching how to get the non-standard doses needed for a 10% taper.  Again, please read it carefully.  If liquid Risperidone is available in Pakistan, that would be an easy and accurate way to get your doses and taper the drug.  If it's not available, the following link gives information about other methods to get your doses.

Tips for tapering off risperidone (Risperdal)

You asked whether you should consult a doctor to take you off Risperidone.  That is your decision.  It has been our experience that the vast majority of doctors know nothing about safely tapering off psychiatric drugs.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Hi, thanks for the amazing information. I've gone through the links but I'm confused. I understand the 10% taper method so for example I'm currently on Risp 2mg.

This is how I should be tapering:

July 2021 - Drop by 10% of 2mg - 1.8mg

August 2021 - Drop by 10% of 1.8mg - 1.62mg

September 2021 - Drop by 10% of 1.62mg - 1.458mg

and so on.

But I still don't understand, how to make these doses? Risperidone is not available in 1.8mg or 1.62mg so how I will get the doses?

I'm also taking Kempro 5mg (See my signature), so which drug do I taper first? Risp or Kempro?

Current Medications: 

• Moderator Emeritus

@Usman36

Please do to start any more Introduction topics.  Only one Introduction topic per member.  All your posts should be right here.

4 hours ago, Usman36 said:

July 2021 - Drop by 10% of 2mg - 1.8mg

August 2021 - Drop by 10% of 1.8mg - 1.62mg

September 2021 - Drop by 10% of 1.62mg - 1.458mg

and so on.

This is correct.

But I still don't understand, how to make these doses? Risperidone is not available in 1.8mg or 1.62mg so how I will get the doses?

Here is the information on getting the doses you will need, from the link I provided earlier about tapering Risperidone:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very careful tapering is necessary when you have had psychotic symptoms. Such symptoms can appear as withdrawal symptoms; that will cause you to become diagnosed as relapsed and re-medicated. Read Psychiatrist: Some patients are better off without antipsychotics...

Cutting up the tablets with a pill splitter
This can work, but if you are sensitive to small variations in dosage, cutting up pills is not very exact. For more exact doses, weigh fragments with an electronic digital scale.

NOTE: Risperidone comes in 0.25mg tablets.  If this is available, you could use a pill cutter to get your doses and weigh the pieces you cut with the digital scale (described below) to make sure your dose is accurate and consistent.

Keep the pieces you don't use in a clean pill bottle labeled with the dosage for future use.

Use an electronic digital jeweler's scale to weigh small amounts
If you are sensitive to dosage changes, you may wish to be more precise in your measurements so you can taper at a measured rate. A digital scale, which can be bought for about $30, is useful. Instructions here.

NOTE:  I don't know if you have Amazon.com in Pakistan.  If you do, you can order a Smart-Weight Gem 20 digital scale from Amazon.com.  Many members use this.

Have risperidone made into smaller dosage capsules by a compounding pharmacy
Compounding pharmacies can crush the tablets and put the powder into smaller capsules by weight. You will need a doctor's prescription for this telling the pharmacy exactly how much to put in a capsule and how many capsules to make.

See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1425-compounding-pharmacies-us-uk-and-elsewhere/

NOTE:  If you have a compounding pharmacy where you live, this would be a good way to get the small doses you'll need.

Use the Risperdal liquid solution
Titrating using a liquid is very good for very small measured decreases in dosage, allowing more precise measurements.

NOTE: Check with your pharmacy to see if this liquid is available.  This would be an excellent method to get the doses you will need.

While bioequivalent to the tablets, the liquid may be absorbed faster. This might cause odd symptoms. To make a change from tablets to liquid, we recommend taking part of the dose in tablet and part in liquid form if possible, then gradually convert to all-liquid, if that is desired.

from Risperdal Official FDA Information

Risperdal® Oral Solution can be administered directly from the calibrated pipette, or can be mixed with a beverage prior to administration. Risperdal® Oral Solution is compatible in the following beverages: water, coffee, orange juice, and low-fat milk; it is NOT compatible with either cola or tea.

If you mix it with liquid to titrate, you may find you need to slightly adjust the dose up or down. Those adjustments would be by tenths or even hundredths of a milligram.

For tips about using an oral syringe for doses of liquid medication, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/235-tapering-techniques

Use a tiny 1mL syringe to measure dosages less than 1mg, to hundredths of a milligram.

Using a combination of tablets and liquid

Rather than switch directly to an all-liquid dose, you may wish to take part of your dose in liquid and part in tablets, gradually converting to all-liquid as you get to lower dosages. This can be very convenient and reduce any problems switching from one form of the drug to another.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm also taking Kempro 5mg (See my signature), so which drug do I taper first? Risp or Kempro?

Taper the Risperidone first.  Do not taper the Kempro at the same time.  Taper only one drug at a time.

You asked about getting a doctor to help.  If you can find a doctor who is cooperative, this would be good and might make you feel more comfortable about the process.  

Please explore the suggestions here and find out what is available where you live (compounding pharmacy? liquid Risperidone? digital scale?).

Again, make all your posts here.  Do not start another another thread.  It may help to bookmark this thread so you can find it easily.  

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

12 hours ago, Gridley said:

@Usman36

Please do to start any more Introduction topics.  Only one Introduction topic per member.  All your posts should be right here.

This is correct.

Here is the information on getting the doses you will need, from the link I provided earlier about tapering Risperidone:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very careful tapering is necessary when you have had psychotic symptoms. Such symptoms can appear as withdrawal symptoms; that will cause you to become diagnosed as relapsed and re-medicated. Read Psychiatrist: Some patients are better off without antipsychotics...

Cutting up the tablets with a pill splitter
This can work, but if you are sensitive to small variations in dosage, cutting up pills is not very exact. For more exact doses, weigh fragments with an electronic digital scale.

NOTE: Risperidone comes in 0.25mg tablets.  If this is available, you could use a pill cutter to get your doses and weigh the pieces you cut with the digital scale (described below) to make sure your dose is accurate and consistent.

Keep the pieces you don't use in a clean pill bottle labeled with the dosage for future use.

Use an electronic digital jeweler's scale to weigh small amounts
If you are sensitive to dosage changes, you may wish to be more precise in your measurements so you can taper at a measured rate. A digital scale, which can be bought for about $30, is useful. Instructions here.

NOTE:  I don't know if you have Amazon.com in Pakistan.  If you do, you can order a Smart-Weight Gem 20 digital scale from Amazon.com.  Many members use this.

Have risperidone made into smaller dosage capsules by a compounding pharmacy
Compounding pharmacies can crush the tablets and put the powder into smaller capsules by weight. You will need a doctor's prescription for this telling the pharmacy exactly how much to put in a capsule and how many capsules to make.

See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1425-compounding-pharmacies-us-uk-and-elsewhere/

NOTE:  If you have a compounding pharmacy where you live, this would be a good way to get the small doses you'll need.

Use the Risperdal liquid solution
Titrating using a liquid is very good for very small measured decreases in dosage, allowing more precise measurements.

NOTE: Check with your pharmacy to see if this liquid is available.  This would be an excellent method to get the doses you will need.

While bioequivalent to the tablets, the liquid may be absorbed faster. This might cause odd symptoms. To make a change from tablets to liquid, we recommend taking part of the dose in tablet and part in liquid form if possible, then gradually convert to all-liquid, if that is desired.

from Risperdal Official FDA Information

Risperdal® Oral Solution can be administered directly from the calibrated pipette, or can be mixed with a beverage prior to administration. Risperdal® Oral Solution is compatible in the following beverages: water, coffee, orange juice, and low-fat milk; it is NOT compatible with either cola or tea.

If you mix it with liquid to titrate, you may find you need to slightly adjust the dose up or down. Those adjustments would be by tenths or even hundredths of a milligram.

For tips about using an oral syringe for doses of liquid medication, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/235-tapering-techniques

Use a tiny 1mL syringe to measure dosages less than 1mg, to hundredths of a milligram.

Using a combination of tablets and liquid

Rather than switch directly to an all-liquid dose, you may wish to take part of your dose in liquid and part in tablets, gradually converting to all-liquid as you get to lower dosages. This can be very convenient and reduce any problems switching from one form of the drug to another.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taper the Risperidone first.  Do not taper the Kempro at the same time.  Taper only one drug at a time.

You asked about getting a doctor to help.  If you can find a doctor who is cooperative, this would be good and might make you feel more comfortable about the process.  

Please explore the suggestions here and find out what is available where you live (compounding pharmacy? liquid Risperidone? digital scale?).

Again, make all your posts here.  Do not start another another thread.  It may help to bookmark this thread so you can find it easily.  

Hi, I have done some research and here's what I found:

1. Risp 0.25mg is not available.

2. There are a few compounding pharmacies in Pakistan. These are the ones I found in my country:

https://dawaai.pk/compounding_pharmacy

https://nigehbancompoundingpharmacy.com/

3. Liquid Risperidone (Risp 1mg solution) is also available

4. We do have Amazon available in Pakistan now so a Digital Scale can be purchased.

So what is the next step? Which method I should use to get my doses?

Current Medications: 

Unfortunately, many cheaper digital scales will not be as precise & accurate as you need.  This is something to look out for when you prepare the taper.  You should also carefully monitor the effects of the taper.  There can be nasty side-effects when discontinuing, and you have concerns regarding your condition prior to taking the antipsychotic.

Previously: Lithium (incorrectly diagnosed bipolar although I never had a manic or hypomanic episode)(taken during summer/fall 2020); Olanzapine (taken from late spring 2020 until late December 2020); Abilify (briefly for a couple of weeks in 2016, caused akethesia); Risperidone (2014-2016); Fluoxetine (two weeks in 2020); various sleep aids, e.g., Ativan, trazadone, mirtazapine and other antihistaminics (winter through summer of 2021).  I don't remember most of the dosages and am leaving them blank.

Currently: Latuda (40mg) (hoping to taper). 

Other: I do not smoke, do not drink, have only one cup of coffee in the morning, and don't use anything else.  I exercise 3-4 times per week and watch my diet. 

My posts do not include any medical advice and I am not trained in medicine. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

I just had a chat with Dr. David M Allen (Found from this website) and he says there should not be any withdrawal symptoms from stopping Risperidone and that I wouldn't need to taper it off. Does that mean I could just stop taking it? 

Current Medications: 

Hey Usman

i am taking risperidone for almost 2 months now.  I tried to stop taking it after 10 days, 2 days after going cold turkey I experienced horrible withdrawal symptoms, no sleep at all, tremors constantly, suicidal thoughts, anxiety, and the worst was incredible brain fog I could barely function.  I hate the drug and I would have tolerated some of these symptoms to stop taking it, but it was impossible.  Anyway just letting you know there can be withdrawal symptoms and they can be severe, some people are able to stop easier, everyone is different, but this was my experience.  If a doctor hasn’t been on the drug how does he know about the withdrawal.  Anyway just sharing my experience, wish you good luck, the mods here are pretty knowledgeable also.

2009-2010 - Ritalin/adderall, citralopram, clonazepam, none of these taken more than 1 month, cold turkeyed all

2021:  5/11 put on 2mg risperidone, 1200mg lithium.  6/6 1.2mg risp, 900mg lith.  6/14 1mg risp, 600 mg lith.  6/23 0.9mg risp, 600mg lith.    7/1 0.8mg risp, 600mg lith.    7/8 0.7mg risp, 600mg lith.  7/14 0.6mg risp. 600mg lith.   7/22 0.5mg risp. 600mg lith.   7/25 0.4mg risp, 600mg lith.   7/31 0.3mg risp, 300mg lith.    8/8/21 0.2mg risp, 300mg lith.    8/15/21 0.1mg risp, 300mg lith.    8/22/21 0.06mg risp, 300mg lith.   8/30/21 0.02mg risp, 0mg lith.

Supplements - 1560mg fish oil, 5000 IU d3, 300mg chelated magnesium, niacin (as needed)

BlondeAndDrugged is correct.  Different people have different experiences.  Have you tried tapering off Risperidone and gotten withdrawal symptoms?  If not, try a small taper and if it goes well, you can try upping the taper amount.

Previously: Lithium (incorrectly diagnosed bipolar although I never had a manic or hypomanic episode)(taken during summer/fall 2020); Olanzapine (taken from late spring 2020 until late December 2020); Abilify (briefly for a couple of weeks in 2016, caused akethesia); Risperidone (2014-2016); Fluoxetine (two weeks in 2020); various sleep aids, e.g., Ativan, trazadone, mirtazapine and other antihistaminics (winter through summer of 2021).  I don't remember most of the dosages and am leaving them blank.

Currently: Latuda (40mg) (hoping to taper). 

Other: I do not smoke, do not drink, have only one cup of coffee in the morning, and don't use anything else.  I exercise 3-4 times per week and watch my diet. 

My posts do not include any medical advice and I am not trained in medicine. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus
16 hours ago, Usman36 said:

Does that mean I could just stop taking it? 

We think that is very bad advice from the doctor.  BlondeandDrugged and JohnBanes have given you good advice. I would listen to what they say.  As I have explained, we recommend a very slow taper.  Going off a drug like Risperidone abruptly (what is known as "cold turkey") is the riskiest way to stop a drug and puts you at increased danger of withdrawal.  

The vast majority of doctors know nothing about safe tapering and invariably taper their patients too fast.  Then the patient, not the doctor, has to live with consequences.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

8 hours ago, Gridley said:

We think that is very bad advice from the doctor.  BlondeandDrugged and JohnBanes have given you good advice. I would listen to what they say.  As I have explained, we recommend a very slow taper.  Going off a drug like Risperidone abruptly (what is known as "cold turkey") is the riskiest way to stop a drug and puts you at increased danger of withdrawal.  

The vast majority of doctors know nothing about safe tapering and invariably taper their patients too fast.  Then the patient, not the doctor, has to live with consequences.

I want to start tapering Risperidone by the 10% method. There is 1 compounding pharmacy in Pakistan. Liquid Risperidone (Risp 1mg solution) is also available. Amazon.com is also available in Pakistan so I can also purchase a digital scale.

So what will be the best way for me to get my doses? Should I contact the compounding pharmacy and tell them to make me 1.8mg risperidone?? You mentioned I can get my doses from liquid risperidone, how is that possible? Please help, I'm a bit confused.

Current Medications: 

• Moderator Emeritus
14 hours ago, Usman36 said:

I want to start tapering Risperidone by the 10% method. There is 1 compounding pharmacy in Pakistan. Liquid Risperidone (Risp 1mg solution) is also available. Amazon.com is also available in Pakistan so I can also purchase a digital scale.

So what will be the best way for me to get my doses? Should I contact the compounding pharmacy and tell them to make me 1.8mg risperidone?? You mentioned I can get my doses from liquid risperidone, how is that possible? Please help, I'm a bit confused.

Any of these methods will work to get your 10% doses.  I depends on which method you are most comfortable with.

1.  With a compounding pharmacy, if the pharmacy is a long distance away from you, that may make things more difficult.  I don't know the laws in Pakistan, but probably you would need to have a prescription for each dosage of your 10%m so that would require your doctor to be cooperative.  The advantage of a compounding pharmacy is that the dose is made for you without your having to calculate.  The disadvantage is the distance and possible difficulties in getting your every 4-week doses on time.This method may be too difficult for your taper.

2.  Liquid Risperidone would also probably require a prescription, so again your doctor would have to be cooperative.  You would need to talk to the pharmacist and make sure that 1ml liquid Risperidone = 1mg tablet Risperidone.  If you use the liquid, you would need to have syringes that measure a small enough amount so you could get the exact measurement needed for your taper.  Again, I wold talk to your pharmacist to make sure you can get syringes that measure small amounts.  If the 1ml liquid Risperidone = 1mg tablet Risperidone, you could tell your pharmacist you want to reduce from 2mg to 1.8mg Risperidone using the liquid (2ml to 1.8ml) and ask the pharmacist if there are syringes available that would allow you to do this.

The advantage of this method is that it is easy and accurate -- if 1mg tablet = 1ml liquid and if the syringes are available.  The disadvantages are you would need to do a crossover from tablet to liquid (see the following paragraph) and, though most people do fine with the liquid, some do not.  

If you switch from the tablet to the liquid, you would need to do a gradual crossover from tablet to liquid.  If you choose this method, I can tell you how to do this.  You would not taper during the crossover.  You would gradually cross over from 2mg tablet to 2 mg liquid.  When that crossover is compete, you would begin your taper.

3.  With scale, you would use weigh the tablet to see how much one 2mg tablet weighs, then calculate a 10% reduction from that weight to get your dose. (To do this you multiply the weight by 0.9.)  This is the method I use. The advantage of this method is that is is simple.  The disadvantage is that you would need to pour the powder into a size 0 or 00 capsule (also available on Amazon), using a small piece of paper.  Until you become accustomed to doing this, you may spill some powder, but soon you will become accustomed to doing this.  Tools that are helpful for this (also available on Amazon) are a powder measuring spoon (also known as a microspoon) and tweezers.  If you choose this method, I can give you more detailed instructions.

You have done a good job researching this.  After you've studied my explanation and learned about whether the compounding pharmacy would be too much of a problem and found out from your pharmacist about the ratio (is 1mg = to 1ml) and the availability of syringes needed for your taper, you can decide what method you want to use.  Once you know the answers to these questions and have decided which method you are most comfortable with, we can continue.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

• 1 month later...

Update: I visited a new psychiatrist to talk about my desire of tapering my medications. He was worried about my old condition coming back and advised me to continue with Risp 2mg for now. But he got me rid of the Kempro and said I only need it if my hands are shaking which is not the case so I have stopped the Kempro. He also got me rid of the Dologab (Pregabalin) which my previous doctor prescribed for anxiety (I never took it actually but my new doc said I don't need it). He has also agreed to reduce the Risp after 6 months, if there is no problem he said he will reduce to 1.5mg & then after another 6 months if nothing happens then will reduce to 1mg. But I'm not sure if he will completely get me rid of it at some point. He is mainly worried about my old symptoms coming back. 

Should I follow the advice of my doctor and stick to this plan or should I try to taper off myself? I'm also concerned about my old condition coming back because the doctor said if that happens then I might need to be put on higher doses to stabilize.

Current Medications: 

On 7/5/2021 at 7:27 PM, Gridley said:

Any of these methods will work to get your 10% doses.  I depends on which method you are most comfortable with.

1.  With a compounding pharmacy, if the pharmacy is a long distance away from you, that may make things more difficult.  I don't know the laws in Pakistan, but probably you would need to have a prescription for each dosage of your 10%m so that would require your doctor to be cooperative.  The advantage of a compounding pharmacy is that the dose is made for you without your having to calculate.  The disadvantage is the distance and possible difficulties in getting your every 4-week doses on time.This method may be too difficult for your taper.

2.  Liquid Risperidone would also probably require a prescription, so again your doctor would have to be cooperative.  You would need to talk to the pharmacist and make sure that 1ml liquid Risperidone = 1mg tablet Risperidone.  If you use the liquid, you would need to have syringes that measure a small enough amount so you could get the exact measurement needed for your taper.  Again, I wold talk to your pharmacist to make sure you can get syringes that measure small amounts.  If the 1ml liquid Risperidone = 1mg tablet Risperidone, you could tell your pharmacist you want to reduce from 2mg to 1.8mg Risperidone using the liquid (2ml to 1.8ml) and ask the pharmacist if there are syringes available that would allow you to do this.

The advantage of this method is that it is easy and accurate -- if 1mg tablet = 1ml liquid and if the syringes are available.  The disadvantages are you would need to do a crossover from tablet to liquid (see the following paragraph) and, though most people do fine with the liquid, some do not.  

If you switch from the tablet to the liquid, you would need to do a gradual crossover from tablet to liquid.  If you choose this method, I can tell you how to do this.  You would not taper during the crossover.  You would gradually cross over from 2mg tablet to 2 mg liquid.  When that crossover is compete, you would begin your taper.

3.  With scale, you would use weigh the tablet to see how much one 2mg tablet weighs, then calculate a 10% reduction from that weight to get your dose. (To do this you multiply the weight by 0.9.)  This is the method I use. The advantage of this method is that is is simple.  The disadvantage is that you would need to pour the powder into a size 0 or 00 capsule (also available on Amazon), using a small piece of paper.  Until you become accustomed to doing this, you may spill some powder, but soon you will become accustomed to doing this.  Tools that are helpful for this (also available on Amazon) are a powder measuring spoon (also known as a microspoon) and tweezers.  If you choose this method, I can give you more detailed instructions.

You have done a good job researching this.  After you've studied my explanation and learned about whether the compounding pharmacy would be too much of a problem and found out from your pharmacist about the ratio (is 1mg = to 1ml) and the availability of syringes needed for your taper, you can decide what method you want to use.  Once you know the answers to these questions and have decided which method you are most comfortable with, we can continue.

Hi Gridley, did you had the chance to read my update? 

Also, I'm scared to taper myself off these drugs because I might have my mania come back. And I'm confused on which method would be the best for me

Current Medications: 

• Moderator Emeritus
18 hours ago, Usman36 said:

Also, I'm scared to taper myself off these drugs because I might have my mania come back. And I'm confused on which method would be the best for me

I need to take a break from moderating, so I'm sorry but I can't answer your questions.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

• 5 weeks later...

Risperidone Withdrawal Help

Hi, I have been on Risperidone 2mg and Kempro (procyclidine - link to drugs.com information) 5mg since 2019. It was prescribed for Bipolar Disorder, not sure If I have bipolar or not but I had a psychotic episode (I think).

I have no symptoms of bipolar or mania since 2019 and now I want to stop taking Risperidone but my doctor wants to continue it. I feel like I have no feelings at all, I don't want to do anything. In fact, I haven't been much productive or achieved anything in terms of work success for which I blame the drug. 

I don't know much about how to taper these drugs as I have never done it before. Should I try to taper it myself or should I ask the doctor for help? I actually already had a thread on this website but that has died (No one is replying there anymore) so I hope it's okay to start another one? 

Anyway, I want someone to help me here in this thread - walk me through the whole process of tapering what to do step-by-step and hopefully answer my questions.

One of the main questions I have is that If I tapered off this drug, will I have bipolar or mania come back? How can I taper it off and make sure my "mania" does not come back?

Please help,

Thanks,

Usman.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic & added drug info link for Kempro

Current Medications: 

I would prefer if some expert doctor can help me taper it off because I don't want to mess it up by trying myself as I'm not an expert or doctor. I know nothing about these drugs or how to taper them.

Let me know your thoughts, what should I do? 

Current Medications: 

• Moderator Emeritus

Not many doctors are able to assist people to get off their psychiatric drugs safely.  That is the reason that this site, and several others, exist.  And why this site is very busy with a huge amount of members.  There are a lot of members who do not have the support of their doctor and are having to do it on their own.

All you need a doctor for is to give you the prescription for the medication.  There Tips for Tapering topics for many psychiatric drugs which explain how to get the dose you need.  See post #1 of the following topic for links to your drug.  In the topic about your drug you could look for members and go to their Introduction topic to find out how they are tapering the drug.

important-topics-in-the-tapering-forum-and-faq (see post #1 for links to individual drugs)

how-to-talk-to-a-doctor-about-tapering-and-withdrawal-what-to-expect

recommended-doctors-therapists-and-clinics

Please add dates to your signature for the following information.  In 2023 "the last 12 months" will be wrong.  Thank you.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

In the last 12 months:

I was on Risp 4mg and my doctor dropped it to Risp 2mg.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Please do a drug interaction check for ALL drugs you are currently taking.  Copy and paste the report OR the link to the report in a post here in your Introduction topic.  Please also tell us if you have any of the symptoms that are listed in the report.  Thank you.

https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Administrator

Hello, @Usman36. What was this psychotic episode like?

How did you feel after the reduction from 4mg to 2mg risperidone? Why are you taking procyclidine?

We don't know of any doctors to refer you to, sorry.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

14 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, @Usman36. What was this psychotic episode like?

How did you feel after the reduction from 4mg to 2mg risperidone? Why are you taking procyclidine?

We don't know of any doctors to refer you to, sorry.

Hi, I experienced it in April 2019 and it went on for a couple of months after starting on Risperidone. 

I don't remember all of it, but here are a couple things that were happening:

1. I felt like I was receiving messages or "signals" from God. 

2. I would open up notepad on my laptop and start communicating with people by typing on the notepad and also typing the response etc. I thought the mouse cursor represented god.

3. Had a lot of energy, excitement like I'm flying in the air.. moods were changing QUICKLY.. from happy to angry to depressed etc

4. I was violent - had a lot of anger in me

And a ton more things that I don't remember now - it was like I lost my mind for a few months where I had no idea what was going on and then got back in my "right mind" after starting on risperidone and a bunch of other drugs. Since probably August or September 2019 I started to recover and In November 2019 I got married and since then I don't have any problems but I'm still taking Risperidone 2mg. 

How did I feel after reducing from 4mg to 2mg? Well, to be honest I did not have any problem or experienced much withdrawal symptoms at all.. I was easily able to drop to 2mg. 

Why I'm taking the procyclidine (Kempro) 5mg? I don't know, my doctor prescribed me the same time he prescribed Risperidone... I think probably to handle the side effects of the risp. 

I would need help from you guys to taper this drug. I really want to stop taking it and I'm really desperate

Current Medications: 

• Administrator

See Tips for tapering off risperidone (Risperdal)

You will want to very, very carefully taper risperidone. If you get alarmed at withdrawal symptoms and go to the hospital, they are likely to put you on much higher doses of multiple drugs.

Please review adverse effects of procyclidine. Have you experienced any of them?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 3:00 PM, Altostrata said:

See Tips for tapering off risperidone (Risperdal)

You will want to very, very carefully taper risperidone. If you get alarmed at withdrawal symptoms and go to the hospital, they are likely to put you on much higher doses of multiple drugs.

Please review adverse effects of procyclidine. Have you experienced any of them?

Hi, just an update. I visited my doctor to talk about tapering and stopping the risperidone. He has reduced my dose from RIsp 2mg to Risp 1mg. Is that too big of a drop? In the past I was able to go from 4mg to 2mg so I think I should be able to go from 2mg to 1mg and when I'm stable at 1mg I can then begin the tapering process by 10% reduction as it will be a lot faster to go from 1mg.

Current Medications: 

• Administrator

Are you taking 1mg risperidone now? When did you make this change? How do you feel after the change?

14 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Are you taking 1mg risperidone now? When did you make this change? How do you feel after the change?

Still 2mg. I will be starting 1mg within a day or two so just about to make the change.

Current Medications: 

• Administrator

Please add the months you started each drug to your signature.

If you've been on 2mg risperidone for a while, reducing to 1mg is a large decrease -- 50%. This might cause withdrawal symptoms. We recommend a much more gradual taper. See Tips for tapering off risperidone (Risperdal)

• 2 months later...

Just an update and something I wanted to share... I have been able to successfully come down to Risp 1mg with minimal withdrawal. I have so much information about how these drugs are bad for the brain and how they can be so disabling to the brain. I have learned much of this from Peter Breggin's website and videos. This information (That drugs are bad for me) is making my life very painful and difficult to live. Because I KNOW these drugs are bad for me, and I still have to take them, and there's no way I can stop taking them. Can somebody relate to me if they feel the same way? Sometimes I wish I didn't have this information. 

How do I solve this problem? Should I taper off the risperidone? (This will get all these thoughts out of my head) or should I keep taking it and find another way to manage my thoughts (Psychotherapy maybe?)

Current Medications: 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2021 at 8:34 PM, Altostrata said:

Hi, I'm on Risperidone 1mg. I'm planning to begin the taper. It would be really helpful if a moderator from this forum can continue working with me and answer my questions.

Thank you.

Current Medications: 

• Moderator Emeritus

What questions do you have?

25 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

What questions do you have?

Hi, so I think the easiest way to taper would be by using the risperidone liquid solution.

From what I understand, I would need to use a syringe to get the liquid doses.

Can someone explain how this process works? 

Current Medications: 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Have you carefully read Post #1 of this topic?

tips-for-tapering-off-risperdal-risperidone

One of the members is using a syringe/pipette that you can "dial in" the amount.  See these posts:

how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/?do=findComment&comment=531466

how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/?do=findComment&comment=526043

SA's topic:

using-an-oral-syringe-and-other-tapering-techniques

Below is the link to the search results for "syringe" in the topic how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/search/?q=syringe

• 2 months later...
On 2/8/2022 at 2:08 AM, ChessieCat said:

Have you carefully read Post #1 of this topic?

tips-for-tapering-off-risperdal-risperidone

One of the members is using a syringe/pipette that you can "dial in" the amount.  See these posts:

how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/?do=findComment&comment=531466

how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/?do=findComment&comment=526043

SA's topic:

using-an-oral-syringe-and-other-tapering-techniques

Below is the link to the search results for "syringe" in the topic how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/search/?q=syringe

Hi, I need some advice on how to stop the kempro (procyclidine) 5mg. It's used for the side-effects of Risperidone and I want to know if I can just stop taking it?

Current Medications: 

• 8 months later...

Titled:  Any good online programs to help with Psych Drug Withdrawal?

Hi, 

I was taking Risperdal and I'm happy to report that I'm off it now but I'm shifted to a mood stabilizing drug now (Topiramate). I'm looking to withdraw from all drugs but I feel like I don't want to do it myself. I would rather do it under the supervision of some doctor or a good psychiatrist who can take me off. 

I remember I once wrongly tapered myself off and got very sick. My doctor said he will try to taper me and I think I'm lucky to have found a good doctor. 

I was wondering if there's any online programs that people have tried that might have helped them with their withdrawal? 

I have heard of a few: 

1. Peter Breggins Books and Courses 

2. Kelly Brogan's Vital Mind Reset Program 

3. Any more? 

Can someone give me reviews on those? 

Edited by manymoretodays
merged and added title

Current Medications: 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Usman36, @Usman36

Welcome.

You got merged, your freestanding topic is now above.

And I see you are on Topamax(topiramate) now, and I'm not finding a topic on tapering that specifically.

And I know this isn't what you are asking.

It is what I do though, try to keep members information together in one place, and then offer assistance with tapering or WD(withdrawal) and support.

So bear with me.

I did find some other members topics who had tapered it, or had asked about it, and will hold on sharing those topics right now.

I think it's good to know what you are taking, and if possible.......look drugs up before you start them.  Ask about them.  It's your body and mind after all.

Here's what Drugs.com has on it:

https://www.drugs.com/topamax.html

On 12/10/2022 at 10:45 AM, Usman36 said:

I was taking Risperdal and I'm happy to report that I'm off it now but I'm shifted to a mood stabilizing drug now (Topiramate). I'm looking to withdraw from all drugs but I feel like I don't want to do it myself. I would rather do it under the supervision of some doctor or a good psychiatrist who can take me off. 

What drugs are you currently on now?  Did you come off the Kempro as well as the Risperidone? 

And how.....if you don't mind saying, on both drugs?

And how are you doing now?

And then here is our list:

Recommended doctors, therapists, and clinics

On 12/10/2022 at 10:45 AM, Usman36 said:

I was wondering if there's any online programs that people have tried that might have helped them with their withdrawal? 

I have heard of a few: 

1. Peter Breggins Books and Courses 

2. Kelly Brogan's Vital Mind Reset Program 

3. Any more? 

Can someone give me reviews on those? 

Have you tried checking users reviews of these programs or books?

I think there might be reviews of Dr. Kelly Brogan in the topic I gave you, possibly not specific to that online program.

I was not aware of a course, an online course from Dr. Breggin.  I mean that doesn't mean one does not exist.  Did you want to share a link?  And then perhaps if anyone used and wants to review it with you here.......I think that might be okay.

It doesn't look like you always respond back, once information is offered to you here.  With tapering, we are going to go with the harm reduction model, or 10% or less of your current dosage.  And now........you can see what has been offered to date, to you.  It's in this thread, your Introduction, and topic.

Hope you are well enough.  And hope that helps a bit?

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
notification, more

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

13 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi Usman36, @Usman36

Welcome.

You got merged, your freestanding topic is now above.

And I see you are on Topamax(topiramate) now, and I'm not finding a topic on tapering that specifically.

And I know this isn't what you are asking.

It is what I do though, try to keep members information together in one place, and then offer assistance with tapering or WD(withdrawal) and support.

So bear with me.

I did find some other members topics who had tapered it, or had asked about it, and will hold on sharing those topics right now.

I think it's good to know what you are taking, and if possible.......look drugs up before you start them.  Ask about them.  It's your body and mind after all.

Here's what Drugs.com has on it:

https://www.drugs.com/topamax.html

What drugs are you currently on now?  Did you come off the Kempro as well as the Risperidone? 

And how.....if you don't mind saying, on both drugs?

And how are you doing now?

And then here is our list:

Recommended doctors, therapists, and clinics

Have you tried checking users reviews of these programs or books?

I think there might be reviews of Dr. Kelly Brogan in the topic I gave you, possibly not specific to that online program.

I was not aware of a course, an online course from Dr. Breggin.  I mean that doesn't mean one does not exist.  Did you want to share a link?  And then perhaps if anyone used and wants to review it with you here.......I think that might be okay.

It doesn't look like you always respond back, once information is offered to you here.  With tapering, we are going to go with the harm reduction model, or 10% or less of your current dosage.  And now........you can see what has been offered to date, to you.  It's in this thread, your Introduction, and topic.

Hope you are well enough.  And hope that helps a bit?

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Hi, I have actually made quite a bit of progress. What I did was basically changed the doctor and I was lucky to find a new doctor who actually listened to me. He took me off the risperdal and the kempro and shifted me to a lighter mood stabilizer instead (Topiramate). I'm on a low dose and It's way better than that terrible drug. 

I'm now able to work (I Work from home) and doing a lot better than on Risperdal. 

My current meds: 

1. Topiramate 25mg morning, evening

2. Trazodone 50mg (Sleep aid)  

3. Vortioxetine (To help with depression) 

The doctor said each of these drugs can be tapered off and he's agreed to taper me off. He wants me to take for a couple more months but it seems like he's helpful and will listen to me.

Here are the links to the online programs I have mentioned although they are paid courses and quite expensive too. 

Kelly Brogran's Vital Mind Reset: https://www.kellybroganmd.com/vital-mind-reset-interest

Peter Breggin's Courses: https://breggin.com/article-detail/post_detail/dr-peter-breggins-three-new-pioneering-courses

Thank you, 

Usman. 

Current Medications: