Protracted withdrawal from AP and ADs - Weakness in legs, paresthesia.

tobymfh

Hi,

I'm experiencing protracted withdrawal (5 months off) and the waves, although definitely further apart than the acute phase, are back again with vengeance. My most recent physical symptom is a strange weakness in my thighs just above my knees along with paresthesia on my upper back (between the shoulder blades) and spreading to my shoulders. Has anyone else experienced these physical symptoms in withdrawal? Could do with some hope to be honest, its so exhausting this experience and terrifying.

Thanks.

Olanzapine:  Started early 2018, 10-30mg over 4 months; began "rapid" taper early 2019 under suggestion of psychiatrist: 30mg - 20mg - 10mg - 0mg over 4 weeks.

Mitrazapine: Started 2018 alongside Olanzapine (10mg) used for one year; began tapering over 5 weeks early 2019; 10mg - 5mg - 2.5mg - 0mg.

Abilify: Started early 2019 as replacement for Olanzapine, used 5mg daily until Feb, 2021; began tapering 5mg - 2.5mg - 0mg over 3.5 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @tobymfhsorry to hear you are experiencing the horrible waves again. I can relate. Just wanted to offer some reassurance that weakness in my thighs, just above my knee at the side, has been a consistent withdrawal symptom for me. Along with muscles twitching and tremors in the same area. No idea why this happens but I never experienced it before WD. I also have pins and needles/numbness all over, this is a relatively new symptom in the last couple of months. Not sure if you’ve tried magnesium baths or spray, I find that helps a little. Take care. X 

Mid-August 2020 - started 15mg Mirtazapine, increased to 30mg 2 weeks later. Late-September 2020 - switched to 20mg Paroxetine as Mirtazapine exacerbated RLS. October 2020 - stopped Paroxetine because of worsening RLS, muscle twitching and general restlessness.

Mid-October 2020 - Switched to 50mg Sertraline. Restlessness, muscle twitching and other symptoms even worse. Stopped taking it on 18 November following advice from GP - took every other day for a week before stopping completely. Mid-November 2020 - GP prescribed Propranolol to take as and when required for anxiety. Have only taken a few times as it makes me very light headed. January 2020 - currently taking magnesium citrate powder in evenings to help with RLS. Also taking high strength omega-3 fish oil. 

On 7/3/2021 at 10:44 AM, tobymfh said:

Hi,

I'm experiencing protracted withdrawal (5 months off) and the waves, although definitely further apart than the acute phase, are back again with vengeance. My most recent physical symptom is a strange weakness in my thighs just above my knees along with paresthesia on my upper back (between the shoulder blades) and spreading to my shoulders. Has anyone else experienced these physical symptoms in withdrawal? Could do with some hope to be honest, its so exhausting this experience and terrifying.

Thanks.

Hey @tobymfh i have muscle weakness in my arms and legs. I also have pins and needles, tingling etc in my hands and feet. Very unsettling but i keep telling myself it is withdrawal and it will pass.x

May 2016- August 2020 Fluoxetine 20mg (pooped out)

August 2020 - December 2020 Sertraline 50mg (adverse effects)

Dec 2020-Mar 10th 2021 Citalopram 20mg (adverse effects)- STOPPED cold turkey

Fully antidepressant free since 10th March 2021. 

Take occasional propranolol 10mg.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy