SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

goggins: paroxetine to fluoxetine bridge gone wrong?

goggins

I've been on 20mg Paroxetine for over a decade. Regular cannabis user.

Trying to taper off since 2019. Many mistakes along the way.

My 2019 journey was too fast. I decreased 5mg steps every month, by splitting a 20mg tablet.

I made it relatively stable into 5mg (although fighting some symptoms) and then quit.

Symptoms were too overwhealming so I desperately and naively reinstated into 18mg.

Then I started a slower taper on liquid.

Went up and down a few times and parked at 16mg for over 6 months, seeking stabilization. Coudln't stay away from cannabis in that meanwhile.

Then I had to relocate to Brazil (I'm Brazilian) because of the pandemic.

Here there's no Liquid Paroxetine available on the market, so I was forced to adapt my strategy.

Started compounding Paroxetine and went for the Fluoxetine Bridge in January. Longer half-life, etc.

Got as low as 4mg Paroxetine plus 12mg Fluoxetine. Cannabis on and off.

Until last month (June).

I had to take a dose of antibiotics (Azithromycin). Had an instant reaction with Thunderclap migraines.

So I started going up with the dosages, which helps only temporarily. After a few days, the migraines come back, along with insomnia.

Not touching Cannabis.

Now I'm at 6mg Paroxetine + 20mg Fluoxetine and I fear I'm spiraling out of control, since reinstating doesn't seem to solve the issue.

Upping Fluoxetine doesn't seem to make much difference. Also trying some Magnesium supplements, no success.

Maybe I should kick it up in larger steps? Go up to 10mg Paroxetine?

I have 2 very hard problems to solve:

• What's the best short term strategy? How do I get rid of migraines, get some sleep and stabilize?
  • What's the best long term strategy? Did I mess up my Fluoxetine bridge?

I fear that my Fluoxetine bridge was too slow and now I'm stuck with 2 SSRIs instead of one.

Plus the long-term synergistic effects of both are even less known, which makes things even scarier.

Any help is appreciated 🙏

🌬️Wim Hof Method practitioner ❄️

SSRI history:

Paroxetine: 2008 - 2010

Paroxetine: 2012 - 2015

Wellbutrin, Escitalopram: 2015 (briefly)

Paroxetine: 2015 - 2021 (bridged to Fluoxetine)

Fluoxetine: 2021 (18mg, gradually decreasing)

100% passionate about life, not willing to give up!

I'm so sorry to see you're having such a hard time and I hope an admin will jump in with the appropriate advice for you. It sounds like you've had too many ups and downs of doses. 

In the meantime go to the homepage and check out the topics list. I hope you find at least something to help you for now. 

Lexapro 10MG

Almost continually for 25 odd years 

Reduced to 5MG beginning July 2018-  end August 2018

August 2018 til now off completely 

I've been managing the pain with Dipyrone Monohydrate and meanwhile loading up on Magnesium Glycinate.

According to this guide, Magnesium can be highly beneficial for migraines so I'm betting on that.

Although Magnesium alone didn't help much. The guide says it might take a while before it makes a difference.

So far this strategy has made things manageable, but let's see how long that lasts.

Don't wanna become overly dependent on Dipyrone.

SSRI history:

• 3 weeks later...

Update for anyone in similar situations in the future.

I saw two neurologists. Both told me I had been mixing two SSRIs for too long, and that was likely the root cause of the migraines. Indeed, I have been bridging for over 6 months.

So I had to make the decision to finally quit the remaining 6mg paroxetine.

Since that was quite a jump, I got very scared and I upped 10mg fluoxetine to hedge against any potential wd symptoms.

It went surprisingly smooth. I wish I had done the switch faster, and I hope the lessons I learned might help someone in similar situations for the future.

I've also been loading up on Magnesium Chelate, which might have been having a positive impact. I'm going overboard, taking between 1g and 1.5g spread through the day. I read that if there's no irritable bowel nor impaired kidney function, there's no side effects of Magnesium overdose.

The tachycardia remians though, which frequently results in insomnia. I'm suspecting electrolyte imbalance, Potassium more specifically. My next step is to load up on Potassium Citrate and see what happens. 🤞

SSRI history:

• Altostrata changed the title to goggins Paroxetine-Fluoxetine bridge gone wrong?
  • Administrator

Hello, @goggins, how are you doing?

Please add drug dosages and your switch to Prozac in your signature.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I'm better @Altostrata, thanks.

I've been feeling muscle stiffness over my neck, back and pelvis. It can get painful but it's torable, when compared to the migraines. Seems to be a fluoxetine side effect.

After going throughout the whole August stable on 30mg fluoxetine I went to 27mg last week with no big challenges.

I'm gonna wait another week and go down to 24mg.

SSRI history:

• ChessieCat changed the title to goggins: Paroxetine-Fluoxetine bridge gone wrong?
  • 6 months later...

I'm keeping a slow progress over time.

I'm at 18mg now, after being at 20mg for a while.

Migraines came back, I struggled with them for about a week. Terrible insomnia too.

I had stopped my magnesium intake, I had kinda forgotten about it to be honest.

As soon as I reintroduced it, migraines are gone and I sleep like a baby.

I don't fool myself into thinking that magnesium is an umbrella solution for all my problems from now on, but I'm really glad I'm able to share this information here, so maybe other people can benefit from it in the future too.

SSRI history:

• 2 months later...

Hi @goggins I’m glad to read you’re doing okay. Are you glad you did the Prozac bridge? 

Medicated at age 7. Many med changes (over 20). Tapered off Xanax in 2018. 

PAXIL TAPER:  
2021: Feb. dropped from 20mg to 15mg Paxil. Terrible. Bedridden for 8 months.  Oct. - 14.6mg  Oct. 27 - 14.2 mg Nov. 14 - 14mg  Feb. 28 - 13.6mg March. 28 - 13.4mg April 5 - 13.4mg but introducing liquid (bad reaction)  2022:  November 14 - 13.2mg  2023:  January 4 - 13mg March 7 - 12.7mg April 20 - 12.4mg May 16 - 12.1mg Aug. 30 - 12mg Oct. 19 - switched from tablet to liquid from compounding pharmacy Nov. 12. 11.65mg Nov. 30 - 11.3mg Dec. 18 - 10.95 2024 Jan. 4 - 10.75 Feb. 10 - 10.4 Feb. 28 - 10MG!!!!!!

22 hours ago, Sunflower414 said:

Hi @goggins I’m glad to read you’re doing okay. Are you glad you did the Prozac bridge? 

So far tapering has been relatively easier than paroxetine. I can't say it's a smooth ride, just more manageable.

I'm at 16mg now.

SSRI history:

@goggins I’m glad it’s a bit smoother. How did you switch / how did you feel during that time? I’ve considered it but a bit nervous as people say sometimes the Prozac doesn’t cover up the Paxil withdrawals 

Medicated at age 7. Many med changes (over 20). Tapered off Xanax in 2018. 

PAXIL TAPER:  
2021: Feb. dropped from 20mg to 15mg Paxil. Terrible. Bedridden for 8 months.  Oct. - 14.6mg  Oct. 27 - 14.2 mg Nov. 14 - 14mg  Feb. 28 - 13.6mg March. 28 - 13.4mg April 5 - 13.4mg but introducing liquid (bad reaction)  2022:  November 14 - 13.2mg  2023:  January 4 - 13mg March 7 - 12.7mg April 20 - 12.4mg May 16 - 12.1mg Aug. 30 - 12mg Oct. 19 - switched from tablet to liquid from compounding pharmacy Nov. 12. 11.65mg Nov. 30 - 11.3mg Dec. 18 - 10.95 2024 Jan. 4 - 10.75 Feb. 10 - 10.4 Feb. 28 - 10MG!!!!!!

15 hours ago, Sunflower414 said:

@goggins I’m glad it’s a bit smoother. How did you switch / how did you feel during that time? I’ve considered it but a bit nervous as people say sometimes the Prozac doesn’t cover up the Paxil withdrawals 

I tried to make a slow bridging strategy for about 6 months. I took both simultaneously, and I would increase one as I decreased the other.

Eventually I started having migraines that were unbearable. A neurologist advised me I shouldn't be mixing two SSRIs and that I should make a sudden transition, which scared the hell out of me at first.

I eventually did it, but I increased fluoxetine about extra 10mg, just to make sure I wouldn't go into some crazy withdrawal.

There were a few unpleasant days, but overall it was bearable. Like I mentioned before, I believe magnesium and potassium were very helpful.

SSRI history:

• 2 months later...

help!!!! paradoxical reaction

I successfully cross-tapered from paroxetine to fluoxetine in 2021.

I've been reducing my fluoxetine dosage.

In june I started a carnivore diet. That helped me taper fast without many effects. I went from 16mg to 8mg in a span of 1 month. 

Late July I started having cortisol spikes. Reinsted to 15mg but thay is putting me into paradoxical reaction.

Today I went to an emergency and took Diazepam, which only made things worse. I haven't slept in a week and I'm getting suicidal.

I am spiraling out of control. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

SSRI history:

In the past I've successfully reinstated from a very low dosage by going very high, but that was paroxetine.

Should I try to reinstate a large dosage?

I'm so desperate.

SSRI history:

• ChessieCat changed the title to goggins: paroxetine to fluoxetine bridge gone wrong?

@goggins

The reason why you didn't feel the 50% drop earlier is because fluoxetine cuts register in your brain with a significant delay. It also doesn't leave your body for a long time. There really is a reason why we keep telling people to go slow. There are no shortcuts incl diets, exercises, other treatments, supplements etc. 

If it's the large updose that made you worse, the solution would be to go down.  I'd suggest trying 10 mg for a week and if it doesn't make things worse stay there for a while. The issue with withdrawal is not just the newly created serotonin deficiency but the fact that large changes 1) destabilize the nervous system and 2)sensitize to new psychoactive substances incl. updose of the same drug, alcohol, street drugs, other drugs, some supplements and vitamins. What you need now is stability. You seem to basically be having an ADR to the large dose. It would have been helpful to hold after the bridge for a long time before cutting your dose.

Can you pls put in your signature the dates of the dose changes?

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• Administrator
18 hours ago, goggins said:

Late July I started having cortisol spikes. Reinsted to 15mg but thay is putting me into paradoxical reaction.

1) More likely these cortisol spikes were withdrawal symptoms you got from a 50% reduction in your drug dosage, carnivore diet notwithstanding.

2) What do you mean by a paradoxical reaction?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

5 hours ago, Altostrata said:

2) What do you mean by a paradoxical reaction?

By paradoxical I mean reinstating but making things worse instead. I was afraid that could have been the case because I wasn't getting better with reinstating.

I'm still at 15mg and I'll try to stick with it for a while to see if I stabilize. That's practically the same dosage I was in before this bold decrease.

0.5mg clonazepam worked today, I finally got some stable ~4h sleep. I'll take it again a couple more nights with decreasing dosages just to get back some sanity while my CNS readjusts to 15mg.

If I stabilize at 15mg (God willing), I'm staying at this dosage for at least 6 months before I try to change anything again, at a much slower pace.

Carnivore did shield me from basically most immediate reactions to reduction, like the headaches I would always get even from Fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine does make tapering smoother, I can tell from the Paroxetine hell I went through in 2019-20. But this delayed response is something very important to watch out for. It gets you confident and then comes back to bite you later.

But I'm never getting bold and fooling myself this way again. Just because things are going smooth, it doesn't mean I get to cut corners. Big lesson there, hopefully others can learn from my mistake by reading this.

SSRI history:

• Administrator

Please explain more about how you initiated and managed a bridge to Prozac.

20 hours ago, goggins said:

I'm still at 15mg and I'll try to stick with it for a while to see if I stabilize. That's practically the same dosage I was in before this bold decrease.

You cut your Prozac dose in half, from 16mg to 8mg in a month. Then you went back to 15mg.

What are the symptoms you have interpreted as a paradoxical reaction?

We don't advise bouncing back and forth in dosage like this, or counting on a benzo to save you from your mistakes. Please note that despite the benefits of a carnivore diet, you are back to almost the same Prozac dosage as before the diet. There are good reasons why we urge people to taper slowly and steadily and not make any dramatic drug changes.

hi @goggins i have seen on a youtube channel that the carnivore diet does naturally cause higher cortisol levels...for me i see it as just an elimination diet (very short term) a month at most.... when you have a lot of health issues like myself and need to figure out what is causing the actual problem and than once i do i start adding foods back in...also it does affect your ability to sleep...carbs do naturally help you sleep better....so going slow and listening to your body and educating yourself about nutrition is important for your mental health...wish you all the best

Cipramil  40mg  1996 to Oct 2017 stopped cold turkey

Only on Zyprexa from now on :   10mg solid form 1998 to Oct 2017

7.5mg solid form  Oct 2017 to Oct 2019 5mg solid form  Oct 2019 to Apr 2020

3.75mg solid form Apr 2020 to May 2020 2.5mg solid form  May 2020 to Feb 2021 2.5mg solid 3/4 and 1/4 liquid w/ 5mls water 6th Feb 2021 to 2nd Apr 2021 2.5mg 1/2 solid and 1/2 liquid w/10mls water 3rd Apr to 26th Jun 2021

2.5mg dissolved in 25mls of water from 27th Jun 2021 to 22nd Oct 2021 2.5mg 1/2 solid, 1/2 dissolved in 10mls of water from 23rd Oct 21 to 7th Feb 2022 water titrating from 7th Feb 2022 to 13 Aug 2022:  2.2425mg

• 1 month later...

@goggins how you doing now ? 

Jan 2017 (17 years old) Prozac 10 mg : May 2018 rapid taper to 0mg : August 2018 low dose hydrocodone for 1 week- sept 2018: began taking the legal supplement Kratom (partial opiate agonist, serotonin receptor agonist, 5-HT2c blocker increasing dopemine and norepinephrine) for back pain : October 2018- reinstated 10 mg Prozac Jan 2019 upped to 20 mg prozac
August 2019: upped to 40 mg prozac 
Through 2020 Worked up to 25 gpd krat
September 2020: dropped Kratom dose by 10gpd
Sept 2020- Jan 2021: tapered krat to 7gpd
January 2021: switched to lexapro 10 mg
May 2021:  delayed withdrawal symptoms

May-January- tapered Krat to 0.8 mg, jumped in late Jan 

April 2022: drop lexapro and added 10 mg Prozac 

July 7: 15 mg Prozac 

reinstated to 20mg and stabilized.

still carnivore, and doing an in-depth investigation with an open-minded endocrinologist/metabologist.

I'll probably stay at this dosage for a while before trying to taper again.

SSRI history:

• 5 months later...

Hi Goggins, hope you are better.  What’s the verdict on Carnivore.  Has it helped?

son

1995 - 2001 Wellbutrin & Effexor, 2001 Stop Effexor (CT), Start Celexa. 2009 Start Trazodone, 2010 Stop Celexa (fast taper), Start Cymbalta. 2014, 2016 Reductions in Dosages Cymbalta and Wellbutrin
2018 Started Slow Taper of Cymbalta from 30mg

2021 May Trazodone Dose drop from 75 to 50 - Started Muscle Cramping and Spasms
2021 July 5th Stopped Cymbalta After 3 YR Taper (No method, I removed beads based on how I was feeling.  Got down to 4 beads, or about 0.4mg before stopping)
2021 July 5th Stopped Wellbutrin cold turkey (was taking 75mg.  Over last week on Wellbutrin, I skipped days taking 100mg SR every other day).  Took last dose of Wellbutrin July 5th.  Severe WD Started July 17th.
2021 Aug 3rd:  Start Remeron 7.5mg at Night 

2021 Aug 23rd: Reinstated Wellbutrin 10mg AM / 10 mg PM, Stopped Remeron

2021 Aug 30th: Changed WB Dosing to 10mg AM / 5mg Mid Day / 8mg Early Evening

2021 Sept 1st: Reinstated Remeron 7.5mg for sleep

2021 Sept 14th: Changed WB to 10mg AM / 6mg Mid day / 6mg Early Evening, Jan 24: Changed WB to 9mg AM / 6mg Mid Day / 6mg PM

2021 Sept 21: Re-instated Cymbalta at 1 bead 2X a day, Oct 12:  Updosed to 2 beads AM, 1 bead PM, March 11:  Updosed 2 beads AM, 2 beads PM
Currently on Trazodone 50mg and Remeron 7.5mg.  Cymbalta 2 Beads (0.1mg) 2X Day 7AM and 6PM.  Wellbutrin 9mg AM / 6mg Mid day / 6mg Early Evening

hi @SonSetFree thanks!

I definitely feel that carnivore helped me greatly in terms of mood!

I can't say much in regards to withdrawal. I was fooled into thinking that carnivore made me more resilient but the protracted fluoxetine withdrawal caught me off-guard, as previously described here.

I haven't attempted tapering in a while, been stable at 20mg since August 22.

I'm planning to start tapering again sometime soon, but I'm going REALLY slow this time. Haven't really done the math yet but it will definitely span over a few years.

I've also been looking into https://www.taperingstrip.com/ looks like an interesting way to achieve precision.

SSRI history:

• 4 weeks later...

Good to know. Yeah I have been holding at my current doses as well.  I am much more stable.  Still have some issues though.  So mood improved.  That’s helpful thanks. 

1995 - 2001 Wellbutrin & Effexor, 2001 Stop Effexor (CT), Start Celexa. 2009 Start Trazodone, 2010 Stop Celexa (fast taper), Start Cymbalta. 2014, 2016 Reductions in Dosages Cymbalta and Wellbutrin
2018 Started Slow Taper of Cymbalta from 30mg

2021 May Trazodone Dose drop from 75 to 50 - Started Muscle Cramping and Spasms
2021 July 5th Stopped Cymbalta After 3 YR Taper (No method, I removed beads based on how I was feeling.  Got down to 4 beads, or about 0.4mg before stopping)
2021 July 5th Stopped Wellbutrin cold turkey (was taking 75mg.  Over last week on Wellbutrin, I skipped days taking 100mg SR every other day).  Took last dose of Wellbutrin July 5th.  Severe WD Started July 17th.
2021 Aug 3rd:  Start Remeron 7.5mg at Night 

2021 Aug 23rd: Reinstated Wellbutrin 10mg AM / 10 mg PM, Stopped Remeron

2021 Aug 30th: Changed WB Dosing to 10mg AM / 5mg Mid Day / 8mg Early Evening

2021 Sept 1st: Reinstated Remeron 7.5mg for sleep

2021 Sept 14th: Changed WB to 10mg AM / 6mg Mid day / 6mg Early Evening, Jan 24: Changed WB to 9mg AM / 6mg Mid Day / 6mg PM

2021 Sept 21: Re-instated Cymbalta at 1 bead 2X a day, Oct 12:  Updosed to 2 beads AM, 1 bead PM, March 11:  Updosed 2 beads AM, 2 beads PM
Currently on Trazodone 50mg and Remeron 7.5mg.  Cymbalta 2 Beads (0.1mg) 2X Day 7AM and 6PM.  Wellbutrin 9mg AM / 6mg Mid day / 6mg Early Evening