Tak21766: Tapering off saphris

Tak21766

• Moderator Emeritus

Is anxiety your only symptom now? The more you tell us what's going on, the more we may be able to help. 

Yes just anxiety, I wake up with it and it's throughout the day. I don't use xanax for sleep, but I take a .5 mg in the morning and one in the evening, but it doesn't seem to lessen the anxiety that much.  It seems like it gets worse as the day goes on for some reason

My intro thread: Tak21766: Tapering off saphris

2017 began saphris 10 mg

Jan 2021 Went on 10mg generic saphris

May 15 2021 stopped cold turkey 

June 1 2021 put back on saphris 10mg

June 15 2021 Went down to 5mg to taper

July 5 2021 Went back to 10 mg

June 1 2021 began xanax .5 mg 2x a day

• Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like you may be dealing with morning cortisol. Feeling worse in the morning and feeling better in the evening is a very common phenomenon for folks going through withdrawal. Please see:

Early-morning waking - managing the morning cortisol spike

Also, make sure you're eating a healthy breakfast when you first wake up. Foods high in protein and low in sugar are best. If you drink coffee or tea with caffeine, you may want to cut back and see if that helps. 

• 5 months later...

I'm ready to start tapering off saphris, can you help me do this, I take 10mg wafer sublingual.

2017 began saphris 10 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Please see:

Tips for tapering off asenapine (Saphris)

From the first post in the thread:

On 8/9/2015 at 7:01 PM, Altostrata said:

Tapering method

These tablets are activated by saliva and cannot be dissolved in water or any other liquid for tapering. The only way to taper Saphris is by cutting up the tablets, weighing the fragments, and putting a measured dose in your mouth to dissolve in your saliva as usual. Do not eat or drink for 10 minutes after you take your dose.

Gridley gave specific instructions in an earlier post in your thread:

Gridley's post on how to taper

Please post if you need help with the math. I'll leave you with a video that goes through using a scale. This person is tapering a benzo not an antipsychotic, but the mechanics of the scale are the same for any drug.

Scale use video (6.5 minutes)

• 11 months later...

Hi, I've been tapering off saphris 10mg for about 6 months, im just at taking less than half a tablet now,  I use a scale and have been tapering at the recommended 10 percent every 30 days, but my last reduction I've been experiencing more anxiety than usual, should I go back up to a half a tablet. And is there any over the counter products on the market that can help with my high cortisol levels and anxiety, I don't want to go back to taking 10 mg because I'm determined to get off this medication come he'll or high water, any advice would be appreciated, thanks

2017 began saphris 10 mg

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, Tak21766 said:

Hi, I've been tapering off saphris 10mg for about 6 months, im just at taking less than half a tablet now,  I use a scale and have been tapering at the recommended 10 percent every 30 days, but my last reduction I've been experiencing more anxiety than usual, should I go back up to a half a tablet. And is there any over the counter products on the market that can help with my high cortisol levels and anxiety, I don't want to go back to taking 10 mg because I'm determined to get off this medication come he'll or high water, any advice would be appreciated, thanks

How many milligrams is "less than half a tablet"? How many milligrams were you on before your last reduction? What was the date of your last reduction? 

Also, are you taking another other drugs besides saphris? 

Going forward, you may want to reduce less than 10% a month. Your symptoms are likely telling you that you're tapering the lowering doses too fast. Many people find it's harder to taper the lower doses. Slowing down your taper can help. 

Please update your signature to bring us up to speed with where you're at. Here is a direct link:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2022 at 1:46 PM, Tak21766 said:

Hello, are you still tapering Saphris?

I've been on Saphris 5mg since February 2022, and I am okay for staying on 3/4 of tablet.

I'm also determined to stop it eventually and be psych-med free.

Are you using jewel scale?

Invega 3mg escotalopram 10mg - 2016-2018

Risperidone 1.5mg 2018- 2019

Latuda 2019- 2020

Risperidone 1.5mg  end of 2020- early 2022

Saphris 5mg February 2022(current medication)-  3.75mg(February 2023)

Hi, yes im still tapering but I've stayed on half a pill or about 5mg, I struggle with anxiety, trying to find natural alternatives

2017 began saphris 10 mg