Liana: Hopeless

Liana

Ok... I need advice... I have been on Escitaloprám for 10years was directly switched to Zoloft for 7 weeks, Prozac 2 days, Citalapram 9 days. I then was put on Mirtazapine and made feel crazy.  Went to a clinic and was put Valdoxan and Valium. I was severely sick and went off antidepressants and tapering Valium. I have been off antidepressants for about 4months and was suicidal. I was put back on Citalapram and has been 9 days. I feel no suicidal thoughts anymore, but when I wake up my brain feels like it's floating and get heart palpitations. I'm not sure if it's from the Valium or the antidepressant. The Valium is making me more depressed and want to taper further, but not sure if I can do it now as I just started the antidepressant. Thank you

Edited by arbor
  • arbor changed the title to Liana: Hopeless
  • Moderator Emeritus

Dear @Liana,

Welcome to SA.  

To be able to give you the best information, we ask members to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements.  Just drugs, dates and dosages in a list format.     

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

It sounds like you've gone through a crazy-making whirl of switches and medications.  I can imagine you felt severely sick, and then suicidal following withdrawal.  All of what you describe is extremely destabilizing.  I'm glad to hear the suicidal thoughts have resolved.  However, the floating and heart palpitations are not unusual, unfortunately, when people are withdrawing or changing drugs.  You might find these site useful:

Irregular heartbeats, palpitations, tachycardia, bradycardia ...

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Brain Remodelling 

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

How long have you been on the Valium?  This would make a difference for how you want to approach tapering it.  Our focus is on tapering antidepressants.  This site explains the approach we use:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?  (The general philosophy of gradual tapering)

I agree that depending on how long a time you've been reinstated on the Valium, you may want to hold and let your system stabilize before beginning another taper.  It may be too soon to know if the Citalopram will lift the depression.  When you have created your signature, I'll bring your questions to the other moderators for further consideration.

To cope with your symptoms, I recommend further reading under:

symptoms and self care   

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

This is your Introduction site where you can ask questions and connect with other members.

I'm glad you found us.

Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022