Lani : Want to taper Zoloft after 8 1/2 Weeks

• Administrator

I cannot say when you might feel a "therapeutic" effect from Zoloft. We do tapering, we don't treat "depression" with drugs here. The longer you hold, the more likely it is that withdrawal symptoms will go away.

So the days you describe as bad days with "meltdown" are days that you're despairing? Are these feelings triggered by particular thoughts or events?

Please read

Neuro-emotions

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Music for self-care: calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

Ways to cope with daily anxiety

Dealing With Emotional Spirals 

Shame, guilt, regret, and self-criticism

Health anxiety, hypochondria, and obsession with symptoms

Deep emotional pain and crying spells, spontaneous weeping

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@AltostrataI think the SI mornings weave me into a more emotional state and trigger me.  Although I do think about being helpless a lot and all the what if’s I have about the future and that I can’t continue In this state and function when Im sure I will need to.  My hubby can’t assist me forever. We bought property to retire and I loved it...but when we were there recently I could not enjoy it snd it devastates me.  Yes, I’m in despair.

Lani ZZZ

Lexapro (4 wks in April 2021 before switching to Zoloft) about 5 days in between
Trazadone 25

mg (Estimate 4/1/21-present) switched to from 50 to 25 mg around June (didn’t know I shouldn’t do this - before I found SA)

Zoloft 50 (5/9/21-present) Taper:

7/10/21-45mg; 7/15/21-40 mg

7/26 approx Updose to 50 mg

8/16-9/12 50 mg to 45, 40, 37, 33 (holding at 33 mg)

Was using Benedryl. Zquill, sleep aids alternately for sleep but quit in August. Trazadone not working thus insomnia

Daily: Fish Oil, Magnesium (cut out all other supps in August 2021

• Administrator

You will need to identify what emotions you are contributing as a response to your situation, which is that of a sudden, debilitating illness from which you need time to recover.

Withdrawal symptoms are bad enough without being devastated by a belief you've failed.

We cannot advise you on what drugs to take to eliminate these emotions. You can learn to manage them without drugs. You might want to work with a psychotherapist.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lani, 

It is definitely hard dealing with the emotions that go along with withdrawals, I’m sorry you’re going through this. Everyone on here knows what that’s like. 

If I’m in waves from the WDs or trying to cope with my other health problems I try and find things to distract myself. Things that don’t take too much brain power. Do you have any hobbies?

If WDs are really bad in the morning get up out of bed and put some music or a show or movie on. It helped to try and snap me out of the early morning negativity and fearful thoughts. 

I would just turn the light on straight away instead of just lying there. I didn’t always have the strength to get out of bed because I have CFS, but I would turn on some noise and lights for distraction straight away. A lot of the time it was a music concert.

Then if you can, have a shower straight away and freshen up. It just helps in a small way to change your frame of mind a little. 

As regards waves, remember too that the holds are just as important as the amount you taper. 

Take care🧡

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

@AltostrataHello Alto.  I noticed a post indicating you were once ill with hyponatremia.  Do you mind sharing what type of treatment you had to resolve this? Also, is it safe to take Lasix duretic if needed while in WD?  If I have to have IV treatment they may want to add this...or maybe it’s also in the IV. My sodium levels are 129 but doc said it wasn’t low enough to be hospitalized, but I’m concerned since 135 is at the low end of average.  I do eat quite a bit of salt, and I have been increasing that lately, but not sure it that will be sufficient.  I’m due for another blood draw in 2 weeks.  I know you’re not prone to give medical advice, but was hoping you could share what worked for you.  And to think I had a perfectly healthy body before ADs.  Scary!

Lani ZZZ

Lexapro (4 wks in April 2021 before switching to Zoloft) about 5 days in between
Trazadone 25

mg (Estimate 4/1/21-present) switched to from 50 to 25 mg around June (didn’t know I shouldn’t do this - before I found SA)

Was using Benedryl. Zquill, sleep aids alternately for sleep but quit in August. Trazadone not working thus insomnia

• Administrator

I was suddenly quite ill with hyponatremia, I went to the emergency room and was put on a saline drip. I recovered immediately. My sodium blood level was just below 135, maybe 131? 129? I was fortunate that the ER doctor took it seriously.

I have had chronic low sodium all my life, hovering just below 135, without apparent ill effects. My bout of hyponatremia was probably related to a heart condition, since treated.

You need to talk about your doctor about your low sodium. If you have symptoms of hyponatremia, your doctor is negligent regardless of your blood level scores. I cannot advise you about Lasix or other treatment you're getting for medical conditions.

@AltostrataThank you.  Actually this was in the ER.  They ran all kinds of tests, including imaging.  I also had low BUN, Anion gap, and osmality levels, but he didn’t mention those and I didn’t see the actual results til I created acct to see my test records online later. I will be seeing my new doc in 2 weeks and addressing.  I also feel my cortisol is low.  Not having spikes in the AM like I used too...which is also concerning as I still have insomnia and anxiety at the time I used to get the surges.

Lani ZZZ

Trazadone 25

• Administrator

If you feel sick, you should make an appointment sooner for suspected hyponatremia. Read up on the symptoms.

Hello again @AltostrataCan I ask how much your dosage of black seed and oregano oil was used to treat your sibo and how long did it take to feel better? 

Lani ZZZ

Trazadone 25

• Administrator

This is what I have for notes:

Herbs to control SIBO: rotate black cumin seed oil, oregano oil, olive leaf extract, grapefruit seed extract, berberine, each for a week, twice a day. Add fresh herbs to food, as tolerated. (Do not overdo these herbs, you'll make yourself sick.)

Raw coconut oil and monolaurin to weaken microbes and yeasts.

I bought most of the supplements from Swanson. Sorry, can't remember any more details.

• 3 weeks later...

@Altostrata  @getofflex hello alto and Jennifer. I want to thank you for your support. Unfortunately, I believe I have developed Cachexia.  Typically, this is experienced by cancer patients. Well I don’t think I have cancer, is this happened so quickly and I’ve never had a diagnosis of that, it is a result of systematic inflammation that cancer patients experience. However, I think that I developed it due to my miss handled tapering and inflammation to my central nervous system… And this illness was triggered. I do have some doctors appointments that I’m trying to get, but all signs point to this. I believe this is what the previous member, “ Lilbit” experienced… But doctors and no one could figure it out. He was eating and eating and not gaining weight and losing muscle. That’s exactly me. While I know withdrawal can cause some muscle wasting, this is gone beyond that. I wanted you to know in case you have other members experiencing this… That this may be the case. It only affects 1% of the worlds population… Go figure. I honestly don’t think I will be here much longer due to this.  I’m .  struggling immensely.  I’ve lost all muscle tone. And, not gaining weight no matter how much I eat. Another life taken by these ADs.  I do plan to write my doctor of over 30 years who gave me these drugs and implore him not to give them out any longer without the hard facts and give him my story . So, not to go on. I wish you all the best alto and applaud your efforts to keep so many people off these drugs and get them off safely. Jennifer, I wish I could be around to see you get off your Lexapro as you are so close. I congratulate you for doing such a great job and for both of you giving me support. God bless you both.

Lani ZZZ

Trazadone 25

• Administrator

Thanks, Lani. I'm sorry we don't know more about your syndrome. I hope you start to recover soon.

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Lani said:

Jennifer, I wish I could be around to see you get off your Lexapro as you are so close

I'm sorry to hear that you have this condition.  Do you suspect this, or has it been confirmed that you have this?  I hope and pray you get it resolved. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

@getofflexi have not confirmed it yet.  Working on that, but there are very few diseases that result in this and nonr of them good.  But this one makes the most sense considering my CNS/gut is so inflamed.  Working with a nutritionist to reduce inflammation.  There is no real treatment for it.  Probably because it’s rare and most often seen in stage 4 cancer patients., my mom had stage 4 cancer and is now doing very well as my brother tried a lot of alternatibe treatments.  She’s back living independently at almost 90 and here I am. God bless!

Lani ZZZ

Trazadone 25

• 4 weeks later...

@Altostrata@getofflex

Hi.  I’m still in very bad shape.  Probably 90 lbs.  my family is insisting I see an endo doc for hormones and get amino acid vitamin daily infusions to help stop the wasting. I keep telling them that this will send me into a dark spiral because my system is so sensitive, but of course they don’t believe me and just think I’m going crazy. I Believe, in your opinion, even though I’m struggling, that this will do more harm than good and worsen my poor condition more rapidly. Do you agree? Or at least have an opinion on this.  I’ve also showed them at the withdrawal project website where he clearly states that adding too much extra stuff to your body is dangerous when tapering. They only believe what they want to and I’m up against a wall with them.  I know I don’t have long, but I certainly don’t want to make it worse before then.  My symptoms are already bad enough including continuing to going blind.

Lani ZZZ

Trazadone 25

• Administrator

I don't know what amino acid vitamin daily infusions are, but sometimes people do well with vitamin infusions such as the Myers cocktail. Good to hear you're working on gut healing. I'm sorry I can't tell you much more. 

• Moderator Emeritus

You could tell the doctor that you are very concerned that you will have a bad reaction to an infusion (of whatever you decide on) and that you would like to test it first with a small dose to see how you react to it.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

How are u doing?

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.