EEG 'can detect autism'

Skyler

• Moderator Emeritus

EEG brain trace 'can detect autism'

By Michelle Roberts

Health editor, BBC News online

The researchers found 33 EEG patterns linked to autism

A simple brain trace can identify autism in children as young as two years old, scientists believe.

A US team at Boston Children's Hospital say EEG traces, which record electrical brain activity using scalp electrodes, could offer a diagnostic test for this complex condition.

EEG clearly distinguished children with autism from other peers in a trial involving nearly 1,000 children.

Experts say more work is needed to confirm the BMC Medicine study results.

Autism is a spectrum disorder, which means that it is not a single condition and will affect individuals in different ways.

Commonly, people with autism have trouble with social interaction and can appear locked in their own worlds.

It can be a difficult condition to diagnose and can go undetected for years.

Read More.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

I predict this will turn out to be nonsense, like all brain imaging studies in neuropsychiatric conditions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I predict this will turn out to be nonsense, like all brain imaging studies in neuropsychiatric conditions.

With a niece and a nephew (as well as myself) in the spectrum, as far as I'm concerned, it is bull****. It is just another ploy for society to pump us full of psychiatric drugs.

History:

1995--Prozac--Quit CT by GP

1995--Effexor--Quit per my GP

1996--Amitriphene--Quit CT when changed GP

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Alto and meister, you are both sooo right. Before research of this sort is accepted, I would like to see the results have been submitted to independent reviewers who do not know what they are looking for to compare. I read this and thought, this is wonderful, a way to know. Then started to think, how can a brain scan button Autism spectrum when there are so many different disorders that are grouped together, not to mention, if the results are reliable, they do not point to treating the cause, and Big Pharma is big on turning the volume down on symptoms (sometimes), no more ... This sort of study is a good front that will be bu circulated and used to influence policy makers and those desperate for help. Wish I had not posted this.. Alto, if you want to migrate this off to the 'happy hunting ground' be my guest.

Wonder who funded the research. :(

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Alto and meister, you are both sooo right. Before research of this sort is accepted, I would like to see the results have been submitted to independent reviewers who do not know what they are looking for to compare. I read this and thought, this is wonderful, a way to know. Then started to think, how can a brain scan button Autism spectrum when there are so many different disorders that are grouped together, not to mention, if the results are reliable, they do not point to treating the cause, and Big Pharma is big on turning the volume down on symptoms (sometimes), no more ... This sort of study good front that will be circulated and used to influence. Wish I had not posted this.. Alto, if you want to migrate this off to the 'happy hunting ground' be my guest.

Wonder who funded the research. :(

This was up on the BBC News website yesterday morning. From another story on the subject, Boston's Children's Hospital was doing the research. Results were published in BMC magazine. NIH is involved in some of the funding, as well as Autism Speaks, the Dana Foundation and the Simons foundation. Roche and Seaside therapeutics, according to the autism speaks website, are currently developing a GABA-B receptor agonist currently known as STX209, which is supposed to normalize glutamate. There is also research currently going on with mGluR5 antagonists for treating autism.

History:

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

This was up on the BBC News website yesterday morning. From another story on the subject, Boston's Children's Hospital was doing the research. Results were published in BMC magazine. NIH is involved in some of the funding, as well as Autism Speaks, the Dana Foundation and the Simons foundation. Roche and Seaside therapeutics, according to the autism speaks website, are currently developing a GABA-B receptor agonist currently known as STX209, which is supposed to normalize glutamate. There is also research currently going on with mGluR5 antagonists for treating autism.

Hi meister.. But they do not specifically say who is paying for the research. BBC posted the article, Boston's Children is doing the research, and the NIH is involved for some of the funding.. but who else is paying, where does the $$ trail really stop. Impossible to tell from the way this is written, not that we are supposed to know. Obviously the drug companies are already in the loop, which says to me they were a driving force from the getgo.. why would this have been were they not providing funding.

Hi meister.. But they do not specifically say who is paying for the research. BBC posted the article, Boston's Children is doing the research, and the NIH is involved for some of the funding.. but who else is paying, where does the $$ trail really stop. Impossible to tell from the way this is written, not that we are supposed to know. Obviously the drug companies are already in the loop, which says to me they were a driving force from the getgo.. why would this have been were they not providing funding.

Autism Speaks! Is also involved with some of the funding. I haven't been able to ascertain where their money is coming from

History:

• Moderator Emeritus

Autism Speaks! Is also involved with some of the funding. I haven't been able to ascertain where their money is coming from

Yup.. you got it. Reputable organizations are often used as blinds.

• Administrator

Exactly right, Schuyler, there are so many conditions called "autism" who knows what the EEGs are finding! Probably a normal pattern.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yup.. you got it. Reputable organizations are often used as blinds.

Looking a little further at Autism Speaks!, according to Wikipedia, this group views autism as a disease, and are looking primarily at a medical solution to the problem. Medical Solution=Big Pharma

History:

• Moderator Emeritus

Do I hear a cash register in the background? ...(ka-ching...ka-ching...)

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Since I have an appointment with my therapist for testing (Module 4 of ADOS2), I am going to make it well known I am very sensitive to antidepressants, having been on 7 of them in the past 15 years, with poor results.

History:

• 3 years later...

Autism is this new "fad" in diagnosis - it seems like doctors are becoming more and more interested in diagnosing people with awkward personalities with "Asperger syndrome" and other such conditions.  Autism spectrum disorders and such - IMO complete and utter nonsense - just like all the rest of the DSMIV manual.

As for brain scans detecting a condition that doesn't even have an objective scientific test - I don't think so.

Autism is this new "fad" in diagnosis - it seems like doctors are becoming more and more interested in diagnosing people with awkward personalities with "Asperger syndrome" and other such conditions.  Autism spectrum disorders and such - IMO complete and utter nonsense - just like all the rest of the DSMIV manual.

As for brain scans detecting a condition that doesn't even have an objective scientific test - I don't think so.

As one who knows alot of people with AS, it is definitely not a fad diagnosis and is definitely for real.   But it definitely doesn't belong in the DSM.

By the way, don't make the mistake of saying that just because something is erroneously in the DSM, that it is a fad diagnosis.  Otherwise, you would be putting sleep apnea under that designation. :)

Agree that it would be impossible for brain scans to detect the condition.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I really don't know why it is considered so hard to diagnose. Figuring out exactly where someone is on the spectrum is hard, but that they are there, I don't think is difficult at all. It is just hard to accept that it is so very prevalent now and to accept the things that are probably causing it.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

This is my opinion, obviously - so feel free to disagree or agree - but if there's no objective scientific test for a condition, I honestly am extremely skeptical - especially if it's one of these "behavior" diagnoses, like schizophrenia, bipolar, depression, anxiety, aspergers, etc. 

All these behavioral conditions seem to represent to me a pattern of behavior that an individual exhibits - but it's not a disease or an illness - it's just the way that person happens to be.  There's no "cure" for these patterns, because they aren't illnesses to begin with - just behavior patterns that people exhibit in a highly unnatural and increasingly dysfunctional society.

For the same reason that depression, anxiety, or schizophrenia cannot be diagnosed with brain scans, autism spectrum patterns will not be able to be diagnosed - because they're all just patterns of behavior in the context of modern civilization.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy