123Nick: Need help!

123Nick

I stopped fluexotine after 3 weeks of use (2 weeks10mg and 1 week 20mg) do u think that maybe that has any permanent effects on my brain or what’s your guess about how long I am going to wait to feel 100%? I am clean now for 3 months and still feel no libido and unable to function properly.. feeling like I am dead inside...

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  Congratulations on getting off of the fluoxetine!  I seriously doubt it will have any permanent effects on your brain, especially after only being on it for 3 weeks.  However, our nervous systems tend to become dependent on these drugs after only 4 weeks, so you probably had a partial dependency on this.  How did you feel while you were on the fluoxetine?  Why did you decide to come off of it?  Are you on any other medications?   What specific symptoms are you having now besides low libido and feeling dead inside? 

Can you please give us specific information about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise list (no symptoms), only drug names, specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Also, as we are recovering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. This is extremely important. 

Considerations About Stability Stop Jumping Around

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Take some time to read and digest it.  Unfortunately, it takes a lot of time for our complex nervous systems to heal from getting off psych meds.  I believe that you will slowly come to feel better and better with time, very gradually.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• getofflex changed the title to 123Nick: Need help!
  • Moderator Emeritus

You came off cold turkey, I assume?  Here is a thread with topics about how long it will take to recover from psych meds: 

How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

6 hours ago, getofflex said:

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  Congratulations on getting off of the fluoxetine!  I seriously doubt it will have any permanent effects on your brain, especially after only being on it for 3 weeks.  However, our nervous systems tend to become dependent on these drugs after only 4 weeks, so you probably had a partial dependency on this.  How did you feel while you were on the fluoxetine?  Why did you decide to come off of it?  Are you on any other medications?   What specific symptoms are you having now besides low libido and feeling dead inside? 

Can you please give us specific information about your drug history for all drugs you are on and have been on, especially for the past 18-24 months?  It would be especially helpful to have the details of your drugs in a concise list (no symptoms), only drug names, specific dates (as best you can say for example early March if you don't recall the day) and dosages of each medication decrease or increase.  Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Also, as we are recovering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. This is extremely important. 

Considerations About Stability Stop Jumping Around

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Take some time to read and digest it.  Unfortunately, it takes a lot of time for our complex nervous systems to heal from getting off psych meds.  I believe that you will slowly come to feel better and better with time, very gradually.  

I had a very high libido before .. never took any medication before I haven’t even smoke or drink any alcohol in my life that’s the first time ever to put something in my mind.. I am very healthy In general... I feel like I am not even as smart as I was and i am very confused and disconnected from my sexual energy and feelings... do u think that 1 year will be enough to get my sexual drive and cognitive skills back? Thank you

6 hours ago, getofflex said:

You came off cold turkey, I assume?  Here is a thread with topics about how long it will take to recover from psych meds: 

How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take

No need to tapper beacause I took it for 3 weeks in initial dosage and fluexotine is in the blood for about 30 days...

Taking these drugs for only three weeks is just about as long as you can with out having to taper. In fact at the three week mark we often recommend a fast taper instead of a direct CT. If you haven't read the link getofflex sent you please do, especially section six "But I only took it for a week". It is quite common for WD from these drugs to affect a person for many months after just a few days use. With time things will get better and you body will return to normal, but while that is happening there will be a frustrating array of symptoms that will show up when ever they feel like it, bother you for awhile and then fade.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

First of all thank you so much for all your answers!!! Guys I have seen that for the people that are in for like 1-2 weeks you say with certainty that they will fully recover...

But is it 100% sure that I will? Because I am not in the category of 1-2 weeks...and I wanna tell that I am way better now mind fat more clear than before 2 weeks...

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/8/2021 at 11:19 PM, 123Nick said:

do u think that 1 year will be enough to get my sexual drive and cognitive skills back?

I'm not sure - I cannot predict these things.  Did you read the link I gave in my previous post about how long WD will take?  Everyone is different, and no one can predict how long of complete their recovery will be.  You are fortunate in that you only took it for 3 weeks, so I'm guessing you should have a pretty full recovery. 

• 1 month later...

Hello again I was 3 weeks on fluexotine that immediately from the first dose my libido disappeared and my brain got fried I don’t know if this is an adverse reaction but my brain stil haven’t recovered and I can’t function properly and my pssd has no improvement after being clean for about 5 months ... I want an opinion can 3 weeks of an ssris cause you pssd that may be permanent? I have lost all hope didn’t expect that such a short a mouth of time cause me that much harm sexually I am 19 yo so this is like destroying my life 1000%

• Moderator Emeritus

Previous post moved to your intro topic to keep your history all in one place.  Please post questions and discussion about your situation in this one thread, to avoid confusion and duplication of efforts.  Thank you.  

It does sound as if you had an adverse reaction to the fluoxetine, unfortunately.  There is good news and bad news.  The bad news is, it takes a very long time to recover from adverse reaction to psych meds.  The good news is that eventually, you should recover, as long as you take care of yourself and avoid setting off your nervous system in the future by staying away from any type of mind altering substance.  This includes alcohol, marijuana, CBD oil, kratom, any street drugs, and other psychiatric drugs.  Here are some threads that are pertinent to your situation: 

PSSD

I Only Took it For a Short Time

How Long is Withdrawal and Recovery Going to Take

On 7/9/2021 at 8:52 PM, brassmonkey said:

Taking these drugs for only three weeks is just about as long as you can with out having to taper. In fact at the three week mark we often recommend a fast taper instead of a direct CT. If you haven't read the link getofflex sent you please do, especially section six "But I only took it for a week". It is quite common for WD from these drugs to affect a person for many months after just a few days use. With time things will get better and you body will return to normal, but while that is happening there will be a frustrating array of symptoms that will show up when ever they feel like it, bother you for awhile and then fade.

I have heard that the guys that have an adverse reaction recover 100% but i it may take 3-5 years is it also for pssd? 

• Moderator Emeritus

We cannot predict how long it will take.  Sometimes, it does take years to recover from these drugs.  Did you read the second link I gave above?  

1 minute ago, getofflex said:

We cannot predict how long it will take.  Sometimes, it does take years to recover from these drugs.  Did you read the second link I gave above?  

Yes i did I don’t care about how long but I care that I will recover 100% from that symptoms... is it possible that I don’t recover from symptoms never?

• Moderator Emeritus

I can’t say for sure but I seriously doubt this would happen. Try not to worry too much about this because that can make it take even longer for you to recover due to the added anxiety and stress of the worry.  Try reading some of the success stories on the homepage about halfway down.

7 minutes ago, getofflex said:

I can’t say for sure but I seriously doubt this would happen. Try not to worry too much about this because that can make it take even longer for you to recover due to the added anxiety and stress of the worry.  Try reading some of the success stories on the homepage about halfway down.

I am so stressed and depressed man Idk what to do with my life i can’t believe that 3 weeks of ssris can **** my life forever ....

• Moderator Emeritus

Please try to read some of the success stories to help give you some hope and encouragement. I know this really sucks but it won’t go on forever I really don’t think it will. Go to the homepage in about halfway down are the success stories.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again guys I am soo much better right now.. I started feeling like my self again not 100% but 65% but it gets better the only thing I have is a bit more anxiety from the normal but everything is okay... erection started coming back and libido also starting to show up ! I will update further in a month.

It's interesting the libido and erection link isn't it because we need the stimulation in brain to get these feelings. Goes to show, drugs affect signals sent. Which is bad. 

Social Anxiety diagnosis at root.

Born. 1983.

2001 - 2003  olanzapine and risperidone. 

2003 - 2007 Seroxat and prophanol. Cold turkey. Went on venlafaxine straight after.

2008- 2014. Venlafaxine. 6 month taper, crushing tablets powder form.

end 2014 - present. No meds.

@123Nick Did you get any gastrointestinal issues ?

2017 october--2018 march->(6 month) fluoxetine 20,30 mg-->cold turkey= after 2 month semen leakage

2018 july---2018 Aug-->(24 days) fluoxetine 20 mg --> cold turkey = vivid dreams begin

2018 december 2019 Jan-->(1 month) Amitriptyline 25--> cold turkey
--------++++--horror of drugs begins. Taking one after another and cold turkey-------+++------------------
2019 May--2019 May--> (12 days) Lexapro cold turkey

2019 May--2019 august -->(3 month)Cobazam 10 mg +amitriptyline 25 mg --> clobazam cold turkey

----2019 october ---> went cold turkey amitriptyline 25 mg.

2019 october--2020 Jan -->(3 months) duloxetine cymbalta 30mg --->cold turkey

2020 jan-2020 Apr--> (3 months) paroxetine 25 mg --> Cold turkey

2020 July--2021 Jan--> (6 months) amitriptyline 50 mg ,75 mg,100 mg ,125 mg -> cold turkey

2021 jan--2021 May--> (4 months) imipramine 75 mg -->cold turkey

2021 may-2021 Aug--> (3 months) nortriptyline 25 mg --> cold turkey== still semen leakage and vivid dream

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, 123Nick said:

Hello again guys I am soo much better right now

Hello Nick, it's great that you are feeling better!  

@Nic123 IT is good that you discontinued after 3 weeks , else it could cause long term  PSSD.

2017 october--2018 march->(6 month) fluoxetine 20,30 mg-->cold turkey= after 2 month semen leakage

2018 july---2018 Aug-->(24 days) fluoxetine 20 mg --> cold turkey = vivid dreams begin

--------++++--horror of drugs begins. Taking one after another and cold turkey-------+++------------------

2019 May--2019 august -->(3 month)Cobazam 10 mg +amitriptyline 25 mg --> clobazam cold turkey

2020 July--2021 Jan--> (6 months) amitriptyline 50 mg ,75 mg,100 mg ,125 mg -> cold turkey

2021 may-2021 Aug--> (3 months) nortriptyline 25 mg --> cold turkey== still semen leakage and vivid dream

10 hours ago, PsychologicalSafe15 said:

@Nic123 IT is good that you discontinued after 3 weeks , else it could cause long term  PSSD.

I am I general lucky that I stopped so quickly.... I could lose a lot things from my life 

Earlier post you said not erection something like that .. What do you mean by that ?? Can you explain like you didn't erectionat all ?

Just now, PsychologicalSafe15 said:

Earlier post you said not erection something like that .. What do you mean by that ?? Can you explain like you didn't erectionat all ?

I had lost the feelings of my penis I couldn’t feel a lot of pleasure from it ...

but this returns over time and my libido too... 

what do you do ?? I mean college  or just working ??

what do you do ?? I mean college  or just working ??

I am studying still... the best thing you can do is have your family and friends together and love them... you have to see what you are without “your powers” and discover your true self and soul and then little by little the withdrawal will end 

Man, I had simple problem I got panicked and took lots of antidepressants over 6 which yielded  nothing , now I finally cold turkey and just waiting for withdrawal to  end.

what a waste  of money and time  .

YOu are lucky  you didn't take any further medications and being patience everything resolved.

5 minutes ago, 123Nick said:

I am studying still... the best thing you can do is have your family and friends together and love them... you have to see what you are without “your powers” and discover your true self and soul and then little by little the withdrawal will end 

you are grown up. Great

3 minutes ago, PsychologicalSafe15 said:

Man, I had simple problem I got panicked and took lots of antidepressants over 6 which yielded  nothing , now I finally cold turkey and just waiting for withdrawal to  end.

what a waste  of money and time  .

YOu are lucky  you didn't take any further medications and being patience everything resolved.

I had panics too ... u should try psychotherapy bro and exercise 

If you dont mind if I am wasting your time.

what kind of exercises did you do ? will you help me . please please

1 minute ago, PsychologicalSafe15 said:

If you dont mind if I am wasting your time.

what kind of exercises did you do ? will you help me . please please

I do swimming and little weights and walking you should listen to your self and do what you can u need.. it’s okay sometimes to slow down things 

yah sure Currently I am studying civil engineering,  I have exam after 2 days.  I will try that .thanks

yah sure Currently I am studying civil engineering,  I have exam after 2 days.  I will try that .thanks

Perfect man good luck!!

DUe you are so lucky .  You prevented your life from  turning into ashes. please in free make your freinds and relatives and your family aware about this drug.

22 minutes ago, 123Nick said:

Nick can you expand on power". thing.

Social Anxiety diagnosis at root.

Born. 1983.

2001 - 2003  olanzapine and risperidone. 

2003 - 2007 Seroxat and prophanol. Cold turkey. Went on venlafaxine straight after.

2008- 2014. Venlafaxine. 6 month taper, crushing tablets powder form.

end 2014 - present. No meds.