SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

UkDave: stuck in the antidepressant loop

UkDave

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/13/2021 at 5:37 AM, UkDave said:

I have reached out to the NHS for CBT therapy, Had a lovely chat (triage) with a nurse that helped put my mind at ease and now booked in hopefully starting the therapy in September. I now write my feeling down which is a massive release << Like I have here and in my previous posts (apologies for the paragraphs but seriously it helps me 😅)

This is fantastic!  It sounds like you have had a major turning point.  I realized, for me, that to get off my drug, I would need to find alternative drug free ways to deal with my own anxiety and depression.  CBT is a good avenue for this. 

On 8/13/2021 at 5:37 AM, UkDave said:

But I feel the most positive I have in a very very long time, Maybes by the end of the year i'll start my 10% monthly taper! which would be a massive positive in its self even if that taper takes years!

This is truly wonderful.  I'm glad that you are in this for the long haul, and realize that getting off these drugs can take a very long time.  But, I believe it is well worth it.  I'm 99% off mine, and I already feel so much more in tune with God, with other people, I experience my emotions now both painful and pleasant.  My husband says I'm more emotionally available, so my marriage has improved.  Just saying this to encourage you that you can, too.  

I'm really happy for you Dave, and I know you are going to succeed and recovery from not just the drugs, but from the anxiety and depression.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Thank you for your reply @getofflex I get great relief from the support from this forum, people like yourself it is so beneficial!

It gives me so much encouragement reading these amazing replies of support! I get the same effect reading other members experiences, when they have posted about a bad day or week, people like yourself have replied with support and then the person will post again having used that support to there advantage and had a better day/week because of it! Amazing!

Like I wrote in my update I have literally felt alone for 20 years on the inside because no one can appreciate what I have been through with the medication and the actual symptoms of anxiety/depression until now with the forum its "What WE'VE been through" It makes a hell of a difference for me personally knowing I can reach out and one of you lovely people will be there with support and guidance!

1 hour ago, getofflex said:

This is fantastic!  It sounds like you have had a major turning point.  I realized, for me, that to get off my drug, I would need to find alternative drug free ways to deal with my own anxiety and depression.  CBT is a good avenue for this. 

I've tried to come off/changed this medications what 10/15 times since I was first prescribed them.  As you know every single time its a massive knock reinstating or changing the medication then the side effect phase is physically/emotionally draining. I like to think as i've got older i've become more proactive in accepting the medication but especially now knowing that this medication actually creates a massive strain on your CNS I need to prepare myself the best way I can to succeed, So going out of my comfort zone with CBT therapy it is! 

1 hour ago, getofflex said:

This is truly wonderful.  I'm glad that you are in this for the long haul, and realize that getting off these drugs can take a very long time.  But, I believe it is well worth it.  I'm 99% off mine, and I already feel so much more in tune with God, with other people, I experience my emotions now both painful and pleasant.  My husband says I'm more emotionally available, so my marriage has improved.  Just saying this to encourage you that you can, too. 

I worked out my taper from 50mg it will take 3/4 years to taper off the tablet completely but you know what it doesn't scare me, it would certainly have years ago but if that is the best way minimise the withdrawal as best as possible! keeping me off them for good, no biggie!

After 9/12 months the dose will be lower enough for me to start feeling like me again I know that when i'm on a low dose I get my emotions back, I cry, my libido comes back, I feel more passionate towards the opposite sex not feeling so depersonalised which will be a massive bonus as this numbness from the medication actually creates me to be more depressed more alone.

I wouldn't have looked into any of this gaining the new found knowledge I have now if I had never googled help coming off anti depressants and then finding this amazing site 😁

Thank you again @getofflex for sharing your experiences and knowledge 

2001 - 2011 Paroxetine, Propranolol, Venlafaxine X2, Citalopram.

Sertraline 2011 - Sept 2020 100mg-50mg Sertraline.

Sept 2020 Fast taper, Effectively cold turkey ended with crashing in July 2021.

July - Sept 2021 uptake to 50mg Sertraline.

Started taper October 2nd 2021.

2nd October 2021, 47.5mg - November 2023, 7.8mg. 

Cold water treatment, Ice baths and Cold showers 3/4 times a week. Breath work daily (for different scenarios). Healthy balanced diet. Walking in nature. Gym. Playing the piano. Meditating 🙏🏼

Hey Dave,

how are you buddy ?

1995 started Paxil 20mg slowly increasing to 50mg until 2014

-2014 I decided to tapper myself not knowing how too and crashed , DR added 50mg Seraquel

-2015 tried tapering again and crashed

Started Tapering Both drugs at the same time 6% per month doing daily micro-taper 

Guided by Mark Horowitz

24/09/23  14.47mg Seroquel.  16.19mg Paxil 

27/11/23.  12.13mg. Seroquel.   13.85mg Paxil

Hey @Cheeky! I'm ok today thanks.

I'm still a bit brain foggy from the uptake of the medication so i'm trying not to put to much pressure on myself, after i've have a crash with the meds I always think I need to get back on with my life as quickly as possible because I have set myself back which leads to me rushing all over doing a lot of nothing. Anxiety 101 🤷‍♂️

So i'm chilling out today watching the football (Soccer 

I have just read your introduction. I am so sorry to hear your experience with the medication, It really resonated with me as I felt exactly the same in the first 10 years of taking 4/5 different SSRI also seeing a psychiatrist, all she did was bump me up to the highest dose of Venlafaxine *Numb I was, every appointment I had with her she was puzzled as to "Why I wasn't getting any better" I have always hated dealing with Doctors/Psychiatrists mainly because all the cries for help felt like they fell on deaf ears just getting changed from tablet to tablet then been put on a high dose like human guinea pigs. It almost felt like they gave out a different medication or bump up the dose just to get you out the surgery.

Life is hard enough as it is 😕

I hope you are having a good day 🙂

Cold water treatment, Ice baths and Cold showers 3/4 times a week. Breath work daily (for different scenarios). Healthy balanced diet. Walking in nature. Gym. Playing the piano. Meditating 🙏🏼

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/14/2021 at 3:01 PM, UkDave said:

then the person will post again having used that support to there advantage and had a better day/week because of it! Amazing!

Yes, I feel encouraged as well when I see a member be helped by our forum.  This is definitely one of the better internet fora - no trolling here.  

I worked out my taper from 50mg it will take 3/4 years to taper off the tablet completely but you know what it doesn't scare me, it would certainly have years ago but if that is the best way minimise the withdrawal as best as possible! keeping me off them for good, no biggie!

With this mindset, I have no doubt in my mind you will succeed.  

this numbness from the medication actually creates me to be more depressed more alone.

This is a good insight.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

Hi there, I am now into 6 weeks of being back on the medication.

I'll start with the negatives 👎, the negative are the side effects of the Sertraline basically. Libido is none existent, I wanted to cry the other day nothing and I have this lethargic blahhhhhhh feeling over me constantly! BUT! I am not letting this get me down as much as it is really really frustrating.

I am however feeling a lot more positive this week 😁, Ignoring the side effects I am now starting to feel more productive day to day instead of letting the anxiety & depression control me being confided to my bedroom. I have been for walks around the local parks, been to the gym, I have been writing a journal/diary 📝 everyday something i've never done in my life. I started listening to Atomic Habits 📖 on audible which as the title suggests teaches you about making small improvements everyday then you create the habit over time improving your life/wellbeing;

"if you can get 1 percent better each day for one year, you’ll end up thirty-seven times better by the time you’re done."

I am finding relief in writing down how I feel and what achievements (big or small) I have done during the day. I can now see just by looking back over the week that I have been productive instead of getting myself down thinking I haven't done nothing which is massive for my confidence.

I am not having no Intrusive thoughts as such or ruminating about the past or the future which is a massive relief I think this is because I am levelling out from the medication and looking into how I can change my habits/thought process instead of procrastinating waiting for the medication to work.

I wanted to start a tread on tapering do I continue in this thread or start a new thread in tapering ?

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, UkDave said:

I wanted to start a tread on tapering do I continue in this thread or start a new thread in tapering ?

Continue on in this thread with your tapering information and any other information about you and your personal situation. It sounds like you’re doing great and have a good strong attitude. I’m glad to hear you’re getting some things done and you’re not ruminating anymore.

• Mentor

Hey @UkDave, so pleased to hear you’re feeling so positive. I used writing a lot in the past and it really helped me work through some things and get the feelings out. Glad to hear you’re meditating too - I’m on holiday at the moment and still taking the time to do it as I know it’s so beneficial for me! Be careful not to overdo things, Faure ☺️

am not a medical professional. I provide information and make suggestions based on my own experience and SA guidelines. I am unable to respond to private messages. 

Mirtazepine 15mg Nov 2018 -April 2019  April - Sept 2019 Mirtazepine down to around 6mg - skipping days to taper

October 2019 - Dec 2019 unwell from failed taper including jumping about in doses 

15 December 2019 to 13 June 2021 15mg Mirtazepine 

14 June 2021 started brass monkey Slide.  
2021: 23 August 12.3mg, 28 October 11.1mg, 6 Dec 10mg

2022: 12 Feb 8.5, 25 Oct 4.5mg

2023: 16 Jan 3.6mg, 28 Sept 1.8mg

Hi @Faure I have to thank you, I took your advice onboard I now meditate everyday now, sometimes both on a morning and in the evening. I use it to help me relax to go to sleep I can't believe how tense I was all the time before. I found Michael Sealey on youtube he's now part of my daily routine, Ear buds in a hour timer on my phone to turn off and 🧘‍♂️💤 Its brilliant

I have started having cold showers before bed also! I read @Athomeinfrisco Success story Athosverona Recovery mentions cold showers for sleeping. Its difficult at first 🚿🥶 BUT the endorphin release 😁 jump into bed sleep meditation on I am completely relaxed having 7/8 hours sleep which helps massively with mental health!

I am now starting to think of when I should start to consider tapering off Sertraline!

Now I am not going to run before I can walk by any means, I've learned that lesson far to many times and got the t-shirt!

I would like some advice on how long I should stay on the 50mg dose before thinking of reducing, should I wait weeks, months ? 

I have been reading "The @brassmonkey Slide Method" I am not going to start suddenly tapering now but it has given me great optimism looking into it!

I had a play with the calculator selecting a 5% taper and 2 week hold. It is something I can definitely see myself achieving as I have never done any thing like it, in the past it has always literally been CT or Doctors taper of half the tablet 1 week then half week later then zero... then crash!

Smashing my confidence scaring me shitless in the process hence why I am still taking them all these years later!

Best not to rush the hold. I would give it at least another four weeks to make sure things are good and stable.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

7 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

Best not to rush the hold. I would give it at least another four weeks to make sure things are good and stable.

Thanks for the reply BM, Yeah I was just reaching out for advice I think it'll be the end of September i'll start look into reducing my dose if my mood has been stable for the next few weeks 😁

• Mentor

Hi Dave

Just a note of support.  You have the right attitude and a great approach.  You will succeed! 

Tim C

Started Paxil for GAD in 1999

Unsuccessful taper attempt in 2006

Paxilprogress helped with a successful taper completed in 2009

Using therapy and CBT to manage my anxiety

Thanks @mstimc I really appreciate the support 😁 These messages give me great encouragement!

All the best TIm 👍

By the way my profile picture is of Andy Dufresne! if you have seen arguably the best film ever "The Shawshank Redemption" you will know that he is locked up in Prison and takes years slowly planning his escape. Then in the end after years of waiting, He escapes from prison to be free!

Having found this forum I am now learning to be patient (Tapering) biding my time so I can escape this prison and be free 😎 

Thats was the metaphor I was going with when I made Andy my profile picture!

image.thumb.png.54e51740bb41cbf4cdb6f6f9f30970d9.png

• Mentor

Hi @UkDaveMichael Sealey is great! I have used him in difficult times in the past. For regular meditation I have a Jon Kabat Zin 40 minute body scan mp3 a friend gave me from one of his books. So glad it’s helping. Be careful not to overdo things - slow and steady in everything!

am not a medical professional. I provide information and make suggestions based on my own experience and SA guidelines. I am unable to respond to private messages. 

Mirtazepine 15mg Nov 2018 -April 2019  April - Sept 2019 Mirtazepine down to around 6mg - skipping days to taper

October 2019 - Dec 2019 unwell from failed taper including jumping about in doses 

On 8/15/2021 at 2:30 PM, UkDave said:

Hey @Cheeky! I'm ok today thanks.

I'm still a bit brain foggy from the uptake of the medication so i'm trying not to put to much pressure on myself, after i've have a crash with the meds I always think I need to get back on with my life as quickly as possible because I have set myself back which leads to me rushing all over doing a lot of nothing. Anxiety 101 🤷‍♂️

So i'm chilling out today watching the football (Soccer 

I have just read your introduction. I am so sorry to hear your experience with the medication, It really resonated with me as I felt exactly the same in the first 10 years of taking 4/5 different SSRI also seeing a psychiatrist, all she did was bump me up to the highest dose of Venlafaxine *Numb I was, every appointment I had with her she was puzzled as to "Why I wasn't getting any better" I have always hated dealing with Doctors/Psychiatrists mainly because all the cries for help felt like they fell on deaf ears just getting changed from tablet to tablet then been put on a high dose like human guinea pigs. It almost felt like they gave out a different medication or bump up the dose just to get you out the surgery.

Life is hard enough as it is 😕

I hope you are having a good day 🙂

I absolutely feel like that too. Drs are so used to just telling you to up the medication. With very little thought and/or compassion for what the person may be suffering. It's a travesty, this culture within medicine. They think everything can be solved with medication. It's so sad. Thank goodness for this site, plus the doctors who have experienced withdrawal themselves who are raising awareness. Hopefully the tide is turning and there will be more awareness of the problems associated with antidepressants. 

It really sounds like you are on the up! Keep on keeping on❤️☀️🎇

Mostly Fluoxetine since 1990/91 - February 2021, at varying dosages, however mainly 20mg.

?2016-17 was on Effexor for a short while before being swapped back to Fluoxetine.

I also recall being on other AD in the 1990's - citalopram/seroxat, always ended up back with Fluoxetine

Fluoxetine 20mg stopped 23rd Feb 2021 cold turkey

Fluoxetine liquid 1mg reinstated 24th May 2021

Other: omega 3 fish oil, 300mg magnesium, Vit D 2000 IU, cerazette, fybogel

On 8/22/2021 at 1:35 AM, UkDave said:

Shawshank Redemption" you will know that he is locked up in Prison and takes years slowly planning his escape. Then in the end after years of waiting, He escapes from prison to be free!

I love that and it’s one of my favourite shows. Great example of chipping away to freedom . 

1995 started Paxil 20mg slowly increasing to 50mg until 2014

-2014 I decided to tapper myself not knowing how too and crashed , DR added 50mg Seraquel

-2015 tried tapering again and crashed

Started Tapering Both drugs at the same time 6% per month doing daily micro-taper 

Guided by Mark Horowitz

24/09/23  14.47mg Seroquel.  16.19mg Paxil 

27/11/23.  12.13mg. Seroquel.   13.85mg Paxil

Hi @UkDave I just came across your story and was really happy to read that you will be starting therapy through the NHS soon.I follow many people from the UK mainly related to politics but specially issues concerning social security, disability, mental health and so on.A while ago I used to read the skint foodie s blog. I was impressed by his story and now his recovery.I remember one of the posts he wrote,probably on Twitter saying he had been so lucky that he had gone through his long and tough journey while the NHS was in quite better shape as regards mental health services.I have read some people who are really worried about it being slowly privatised and or somewhat dismantled.Even watched John PIlger s documentary which I found quite worrying. I am telling you all this while living in a country where having access to public mental health services is an utopia.Unless of course you are willing to go through the easiest road a.k.a consulting a psychiatrist being diagnosed and given meds...precisely what most people here do not want. So,my reflection is that people in the UK should realize how lucky you are to still have the NHS and should fight to protect it and preserve it the way it was originally conceived.Universal healthcare for everybody,specially for those who can t have access to private services. I wish you the best and hope you will get through all this with the help of your future therapist.

Hi.sorry but my computer is too old.not working properly.I can only write from my phone.nevertheless i do not have drugs to list.only paroxetine.20 mg from 2009 to 2019.10 mg during 2019.sleeping pills for over 20 years.stopped everything december 2019.no drugs since then.forced cold turkey from december 2019.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody, its been a few weeks since I checked in so I thought I would share a post!

Everything is going great, ... BUT! <<< four words in and then theres a BUT! 😆

I was settling back onto my tablets the last time I posted and was basically stuck ruminating about going back to work, I was starting to get comfortable being in the house in a safe space. One of my closest mates is my manager at work and knows all about my situation, he and the company I work for have been really supportive while I have been on the sick.

Heres where the BUT comes in,

Out of the blue he phoned me up a week gone Tuesday "Dave I'm really short staffed, how did you feel about helping me out and coming into work and see how you go" I didn't have the chance to think and just said yes!

What a difference being back at work has made for my mental health, Yes I was anxious but i'm glad I got pushed back into it because I was starting to convince myself that I "Wasn't Ready" to go back. I used breathing techniques I had been learning from youtube *stimulating the vegas nerve* to help stay in the present and not let the situation overwhelm me, being around people my own age and having a laugh made a massive difference in settling me down also.

I have had a sore throat for 3 weeks solid now I don't know if its the change of weather in the UK going from Summer into Autumn or a side effect of the medication 🤷‍♂️

I can hand on heart say I thought I was stuck in a rut with these anti depressants even with finding this site and learning about the taper process which has giving me massive optimism, I dismissed C.B.T therapy till this year now having read a few books on C.B.T and how people that receive it make it out of being trapped in anxiety and all that goes with it, I'm now convinced its the way out of the darkness. 

I have just this week listen to The Worry Free Mind < This Book has blown me away! So much so I have ordered the physical copy to read and take in anything i've missed and to go through the different C.B.T exercises in this book, I could have copied them down from the audio but  

• Shatter the illusions that keep you in a constant state of worry.
  • Recondition your mind to a new state of being.
  • Discover how your brain chemistry works to tap into natural bliss.
  • Shift your internal states to change your biology.

The best of it is I only gave this book a listen because it is part of the Audible plus catalog which you get for free as part of the audible membership, it was part of my recommendations with me listening to self help books, talk about fate! It has really helped me and I can see some of the exercises changing my life.

I can vouch it has opened my eyes to see that I need to change my habits because the matter of the fact is I have been doing the same things for 20 years so why would anything change in my life! all I have done is CT Anti depressants every time I got sick of the side effects then go back on them when I crashed without fixing the route problem or the problems created by the medication, the only way out of this dark hole is to change my thinking patterns with C.B.T while doing a 10% taper which I'll be looking to start the end of this month.

Some massive positives, It hasn't been easy some days are like blaahhhhh but you have to solider on 😁

• Mentor

Hi Dave

This is such a great and hopeful post.  Thank you so much for sharing your progress!  You are so right, taking that first step out of you comfort zone can be scary,  but as you now know, it can be hugely empowering once you do.  And so nice to hear CBT is working for you.  It really does help us take our minds back, doesn't it?  Please let us know how you're doing when you have the time.  Take care!

Tim C

• Mentor

Hi Dave, that all sounds such good news. So pleased to read this. I’m struggling with tiredness a lot atm and feeling a bit blue today so this has cheered me up. Do consider the @brassmonkeyslide - after 20 years on the drugs I think you’d find it easier, maybe BM will come along and give you his thoughts! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

Its been a month now that i've been back to work i'm now feeling on my feet in regards to being relaxed with no anxieties which is a massive plus! I'm still bad with flu and a sore throat which has me low but its something I know will pass. In the UK the weather in the past 6/8 weeks has been bonkers, varied is an understatement, 3 days 30 degrees then 4 days 10 degrees with heavy rain then repeat no wonder I can't shake this flu.

I have just started my taper today, I've been taking 50mg Sertraline for 3 months now, My intrusive thoughts and suicidal ideology have passed thank god but I do believe that although the uptake of the drug has stabilised my CNS, reading self help book, meditating and taking daily cold showers has helped me create new habits which has switched off the anxiety or help me lower my stress response which was creating the "Anxiety!!"

I bought a milligram scale it arrived yesterday so that is the reason I've started my taper today. I looked up the @brassmonkey Micro-tapering thread then inputted 5% taper and a 4 week hold into the Micro-Taper Calculator.

When I weighed the 50mg tablet it weighed 159mg << Which had me baffled 🤦🏼‍♂️ stupidly thinking it would weigh 50mg not thinking about the fillers etc ... So I subtracted 5% from 159mg and got 7.95mg which I shaved off the tablet with a knife, So I've taking 151mg which I believe is 47.50mg dosage. 

I literally shaved off dust! to get the 8mg I needed off the tablet ... NO WONDER I'VE ALWAYS CRASHED! 

Every single time I've ever stoped these drugs even when I was thinking I did a taper, I DID NOT! always taking chucks off the tablet thinking it was a small amount not knowing what the hell I was doing always going CT!

I know its only day 1 of a long road but i'm more depressed on the medication, no emotions, no libido, the side effect far outweigh any benefits the medication nulls any anxiety! I won't have know about tapering had I not found the website!

Changing habits for better physical and mental health with a slow taper "very slow" getting off this medication is the direction I'm focused on.

All the best everybody 😁

• Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like you are on the right track. I believe you will find this taper a lot easier on your system.  

On 10/2/2021 at 7:30 AM, UkDave said:

I know its only day 1 of a long road but i'm more depressed on the medication, no emotions, no libido, the side effect far outweigh any benefits the medication nulls any anxiety!

I totally agree - I felt the same way.  Now that I'm almost off, I feel like a whole person again.  It was well worth it. 

Here's to a new life without drugs!  🌞

Edited by getofflex

2 hours ago, getofflex said:

It sounds like you are on the right track. I believe you will find this taper a lot easier on your system.

Thanks for reply,

Yeah I completely agree. Seeing how much 8mg is that i'm shaving off the tablet is an absolute eye opener!!!

No wonder i've always crashed god know what amount I was chopping off before and then stopping completely on! No wonder my CNS couldn't cope. The knowledge i've gained from this site I now know if the taper is too fast and i'm not feeling right i'll just hold that dose till I level out then continue no biggie.

I know that even though this is the first week of a 3-4 year road after 20 years I can now see light at the end of the tunnel! 😁

• Moderator Emeritus

you have a great positive attitude I think you’re gonna be just fine.  😀

• 2 weeks later...

My mam alerted me yesterday when I came in from work about a Doctor she had watched on TV talking about anti depressants

It is a program called "This Morning" on ITV in the UK. Made me completely mad when I seen it! She basically promoted anti depressants!!!

https://www.itv.com/thismorning/articles/the-truth-about-antidepressants-what-you-need-to-know what an absolute clown!

I quoted her in a tweet, 

• Mentor

Hello UKdave ! Just stop by to meet you and encourage! You are definitely in the rt place for advice and support on tapering this poison. 

Your story and meds reads about like mine! Paxil for years then the drug merry go round because of withdrawal symptoms. Drs literally know nothing about these ssri withdrawals even 35 years after the beginning . I too have crashed and had to reinstate back to dosage and hold for 4 to 6 months in the past before I found SA. Maybe total of 4 times. I’ve been to other drs in past for other symptoms/problems and even had surgeries and procedures all because of side effects and withdrawals.  As a result my trust in medical professionals is very low rt now. If I had known what I learned here! And when I acquired information here and support things began to change for me! Glad you are feeling better! And glad you are here! Hang in there 💪

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

1 hour ago, Heath said:

Hello UKdave ! Just stop by to meet you and encourage! You are definitely in the rt place for advice and support on tapering this poison.

Thank you for taking the time to post your message of positivity 😁

Yeah if I never found this site I would be in a dark place with no hope of ever having a plan to be able to come off these horrible tablets!

I’m in my second week of the taper. I feel fine no real adverse effects so far! Which is really encouraging 😎

As soon as I started the taper even knowing it would be taking years, my mental health improved immediately!

Hope we need hope that one day we’ll be rid of this nightmare!

All the best 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody, Just thought i'd do a little update.

I have my first C.B.T Session on Monday, I've waited 12 week waiting for the appointment which isn't that bad to be fair So i'm looking forward to see how this pans out!

I am down to 40mg Sertraline from 50mg over the past 4 weeks (02-10 47.5mg, 09-10 45mg, 16-10 42.5mg, 23-10 40mg 2 Wk Hold) I've just updated my signature 😄

I am now holding on this dose for another week if I feel ok i'll drop down again if not i'll hold. I've felt great for the most part bar this past week when I had a few boughs of paranoia with high anxiety as I did when I was CT but only lasted a few hours, I have started to ruminate more than I have done in the past few months and easily irritated these emotions are not constant like when I crashed they're there, I calmed myself down with breathing exercises also listening to audible which I do daily now.

I drive a van for a living so I got myself some wireless bluetooth ear buds, I just bang them in which I've loaded my van with deliveries then listen to a couple of chapters of Self help books which actually calms me down because I am learning solutions/exercises to these problems also hearing other peoples struggles but with they found solutions to overcome their problems << Just like this site with the advice and knowledge about tapering which calms me down.

Still meditating a few times a week and I'm back at the gym << Life saver and taking daily cold showers << they don't get any easier 🥶 but the relaxing benefits & endorphin release outweigh the toughness of enduring the cold

I have noticed a few people on twitter after that woman doctor was on national tv promoting ADs I'm not going to get involved in anti anti depressant movements but reading some the propaganda spewed by this professionals is disheartening, I have followed a few psychologists that weighed in on the debate finding some of the links they post helpful so something to takeaway from the madness. 

slow and steady 😁

• Mentor

Sounds like you're in a great place for CBT to be of maximum value.   You'll do great!

Tim C

• Mentor

Sounds like you have learned some really good coping strategies now Dave. So glad for you that the taper is going well. Don’t fall into the trap of wanting to go faster 😜 slow and steady wins the race. I’m nearly at the end of cycle 3 of the BrassMonkey slide and feel better and better ☺️

1 hour ago, Faure said:

Don’t fall into the trap of wanting to go faster 😜 slow and steady wins the race.

My mental health has vastly improved just by knowing i'm coming off these horrible tablets what have defined my life for the past 21 years, I'd love to go faster and I thought about it i'm not gonna lie 😅 then when I had a few side effects last week I was like Steady On! 

Just knowing i'm reducing them in a safe fashion is enough to give me optimism for the future!

Plus in a few months the effects of the medication will become less prominent so even though i'll be tapering a anti depressant my life will improve having my emotions come back 🙏🏼

1 hour ago, Faure said:

I’m nearly at the end of cycle 3 of the BrassMonkey slide and feel better and better ☺️

Amazing, Well done! Its great to hear, this gives us all hope that it can be done 😊

• 2 weeks later...

Hi every body, Taper going well no real adverse side effects, Slow & Steady 🐢 Wins the race right! 

I can't recommend C.B.T therapy high enough, I've only had 2 sessions (3rd tomorrow) I can already take away some small progress, Its mainly the therapist getting to know my life history looking for what could be any underlying problems that can cause the anxieties or insecurities I have, In that process there was some issues I had which I thought were trigger points which I have dwelled on before now I don't think is a issue so i'm already getting something out of it 😁

I have naturally made a strong case that the way I feel is manifested from the medication, But we all create habits and having been on these tablets for such a long period of time maybes I have created some habits what actually help create the insecurities and anxieties even if I had successfully stopped taking the medication.

Considering I have spent 99% of the past 20+ years thinking there was something wrong with me (chemical imbalance etc) So seeing things from a different prospective is a massive positive!

I have just finished another book Sedated which I would urge everybody that has took these medications to have a read of, Its been a massive eye opener for me!

All the best everybody 😄

So glad to hear this, thanks for reporting such positive progress!! Sending best wishes🤗

Mostly Fluoxetine since 1990/91 - February 2021, at varying dosages, however mainly 20mg.

?2016-17 was on Effexor for a short while before being swapped back to Fluoxetine.

I also recall being on other AD in the 1990's - citalopram/seroxat, always ended up back with Fluoxetine

Fluoxetine 20mg stopped 23rd Feb 2021 cold turkey

Fluoxetine liquid 1mg reinstated 24th May 2021

Other: omega 3 fish oil, 300mg magnesium, Vit D 2000 IU, cerazette, fybogel

9 minutes ago, Kris73 said:

So glad to hear this, thanks for reporting such positive progress!! Sending best wishes🤗

Thank you ☺️ I'm excited to be reporting such positive progress. I was so nervous starting the taper and then the therapy its paying off so far 😁