LKB90: Insomnia - Zoloft for 2.5 weeks

LKB90

Dears, 

I'm desperately writing you as I feel noone on this Earth is understanding me now. I was a cheerful, social, active girl. Last year in August I gave life to my boy. When he turned 3.5 month, I started to have sleep issues out of the sudden. I got super scared as it continued day after day. Then after 5 days I got my first postpartum period. That day I KNEW, oh my God this must be it. This whole thing is just hormonal. Since then I lived with this problem for 6 months. Peak troubled nights were always around ny periods and ovulation, but I also had sleep issues beyond them. Over time it got much better, meaning 2/3 of my nights were without any problem, 10 days were troubled. Deep in me I always thought I don't have depression, but I suffered a lot due to the quite many nights with poor sleep. Because of the pressure of family members I visited a psychiatrist, who convinced me that I have post-partum depression with insomnia as pure symptom of it and this needs to be cured. I got Zoloft prescribed. That day the real nightmare really just started. I tool 25 mg for 1.5 weeks and 50 mg for additional 1 week. I had terrible reaction already 1 hour after start - digestion issues, restlessness, unbelievable heartbeat, thinking of suicide, sweatening and complete inability to sleep. For 2.5 weeks.. Everyone said it is normal and will settle with time. But even 3 Xanax did not help me to sleep during nights. After 2.5 weeks I could not handle anymore and even though my doctor and my relatives kept telling me to continue and take Tegretol on top, I just couldn't. I stopped. Since then I sleep at least on some nights. Badly with long time to fall asleep, many night wakenings and early wake ups, but on some nights I at least have some rest. I strongly believe Zoloft caused very bad reactions for me and that my sleep still suffers due to the fact I took so many pills. Please help me - can this get better? Can such "short" of time on AD change my brain and sleep forever? Will I be able to return o pre-medicine level? I feel I completely lost control over my thoughts and life since I took the first pill. Thank you so much for helping me.

Edited by Gridley

- Mirtazapine: 7.5 mg only occassionally

- Zoloft: 1.5 weeks 25 mg, 1 week 50 mg | stopped cold turkey | severe insomnia, digestion problems, suicidal thoughts, restlessness, disorientation, loose of feelings, sweating, incredibly rapid heartbeat

- Pregabalin: 8 days 75 mg

- Mirtazapine: 12 days 15 mg | stopped cold turkey | chronic insomnia, PGAD, digestion issues, sweating, anxtiety, depression

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, LKB90.

To start:

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Please indicate the date you started the Zoloft, the dose, and what symptoms appeared and the date(s) they appeared.  A list format is best.  You'll need to use a computer rather than a computer.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Your belief that the Zoloft caused a very bad reaction is correct.  You have had what is called an adverse reaction to the Zoloft, which means basically that the drug is poison to your system.  We see this type of reaction often on this site.  First, I want to reassure you that that these symptoms are not permanent and your brain has not been permanently altered.  It's going to take some time, however, and we can't give you a definite timeline regarding healing.  Everyone is different.  But you will heal.  

The following is from a post about adverse reactions written by Brassmonkey, one of our moderators:

"I think that some of the most unfortunate members we have are the ones who only took the drug for a short time and had a severe Adverse Reaction. Over the years I’ve seen a number of members join who have taken their drugs for one day to a week and then stopped.  They suffer acute symptoms that hit immediately and hard.  Some people’s chemical makeup just isn’t compatible with psych drugs and their body immediately tries to reject them, but in doing so throws itself into chaos.

The good news is that their body will sort itself out and they will return to normal.  While this is recovery from a severe adverse reaction and not withdrawal syndrome, the bad news is the post-discontinuation symptoms are a lot like post- acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS), and it’s going to take a long time and there is nothing that will speed up the process.  There are some coping strategies and tools that will help you endure the experience, but time is the only thing that will cure it, and it will take months rather than weeks.

These people tend to have a more linear recovery than those with true withdrawal syndrome. The first several months may be more intense.  Then, like PAWS, things start to improve very slowly. Eventually, normal life resumes and get back on track.  All the members I have known with this immediate Adverse Reaction have made full recoveries and gone on to normal lives and careers."

The following link about the healing process from antidepressant withdrawal is equally applicable to an adverse reaction.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Gridley changed the title to LKB90: Insomnia - Zoloft for 2.5 weeks

Dear Gridley,

Huge thanks for getting back to me! According to experience also insomnia will be healed with time? I've heard this is one of the most stubborn side-effects.

- Zoloft: 1.5 weeks 25 mg, 1 week 50 mg | stopped cold turkey | severe insomnia, digestion problems, suicidal thoughts, restlessness, disorientation, loose of feelings, sweating, incredibly rapid heartbeat

- Mirtazapine: 12 days 15 mg | stopped cold turkey | chronic insomnia, PGAD, digestion issues, sweating, anxtiety, depression

• Moderator Emeritus
36 minutes ago, LKB90 said:

According to experience also insomnia will be healed with time?

Yes.  According to experience, it will be healed with time.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you ever so much. Your words mean so incredibly much for me! If anyone has some tips, how to ease symptoms, would love to hear them.

• Moderator Emeritus
26 minutes ago, LKB90 said:

If anyone has some tips, how to ease symptoms, would love to hear them.

Here are some links on insomnia that I hope will be helpful.

Relaxation exercises, guided meditations, calming videos, sleep hypnosis

Tricks and tips to fall asleep faster

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/02/16/tips-tricks-fall-asleep-faster.aspx?utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20170216Z1&et_cid=DM133787&et_rid=1889748952

This link contains helpful information, including insomnia and also non-drug coping skills.  

Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

Some members have found Melatonin helpful with insomnia.   

Melatonin for sleep   

It's best to start at a very low dosage, such as .25mg, and gradually increase if needed to the lowest effective dose.  I take 0.3mg.  Here's a link:

melatonin (available on Amazon

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Dear LKB90,

I'm so glad you found this site so quickly. I hope it keeps you from a lot of the harm that so many of us have experienced. Did you know that unbalanced hormones can cause severe insomnia and anxiety attacks? Especially any dramatic drops in progesterone, like you just had after giving birth. I really recommend trying to find a holistic Dr who will order lab work to see if your estrogen, progesterone and testosterone levels are balanced, and if they aren't, to gently and naturally help your body get those levels where they need to be, especially your progesterone. Quite possibly the stress and fear you experienced while on Zoloft caused even more hormonal imbalance. Your body absolutely can heal and get back to where you were pre-AD. I occasionally take melatonin for sleep. A friend gave me an essential oil blend with lavender and vetiver that I put on the bottom of my toes at night. That has helped too, it just took a few weeks to build up in my system. Sometimes massages and chiropractic adjustments can also calm down the nervous system, and help you de-stress and heal.

Dear Sarabeth,

Many many thanks for your time and kind words!! Yes, I all knew these, but I failed to find the solution. I still don't find it. I tried so many things on the road: homeopathy, aromatherapy, meditation, melatonin, read a lot about cbt, nothing really helped. Or let's rephrase this: these things helped so slowly. Then I got impatient and uncertain (also due to pressure from others that sleep is for sure due to my underlying depression) that my problems could be psychic. So I took this horrible decision to try ADs. My bad I even chose a quite unexperienced doctor. As you say I visit a holistic doctor now, who uses pranic healing, nes therapy and acupuncture. I hope so much that she can help. I never thought I will wish to at least have my pre-AD condition. These 18 pills just made the issue so much worse (I'm Zoloft-free already since 3.5 weeks and still..) What do you actually think about hormonal therapy? My progesterone level is low indeed, my gynaecologist suggested me to take progesterone pills.

Huge thanks!

On 7/14/2021 at 8:36 PM, Gridley said:

Yes.  According to experience, it will be healed with time.

Dear Gridley, dear others,

Before I've found this article https://rxisk.org/sleep-problems-after-stopping-antidepressants/ with many negative comments of people whose sleep did not improve long after stopping AD (with even some very short-term users). What is your opinion about it? Huge thanks in advance.

On 7/15/2021 at 10:18 PM, sarabeth said:

Dear LKB90,

I'm so glad you found this site so quickly. I hope it keeps you from a lot of the harm that so many of us have experienced. Did you know that unbalanced hormones can cause severe insomnia and anxiety attacks? Especially any dramatic drops in progesterone, like you just had after giving birth. I really recommend trying to find a holistic Dr who will order lab work to see if your estrogen, progesterone and testosterone levels are balanced, and if they aren't, to gently and naturally help your body get those levels where they need to be, especially your progesterone. Quite possibly the stress and fear you experienced while on Zoloft caused even more hormonal imbalance. Your body absolutely can heal and get back to where you were pre-AD. I occasionally take melatonin for sleep. A friend gave me an essential oil blend with lavender and vetiver that I put on the bottom of my toes at night. That has helped too, it just took a few weeks to build up in my system. Sometimes massages and chiropractic adjustments can also calm down the nervous system, and help you de-stress and heal.

Dear Sarabeth,

Many many thanks for your time and kind words!! Yes, I all knew these, but I failed to find the solution. I still don't find it. I tried so many things on the road: homeopathy, aromatherapy, meditation, melatonin, read a lot about cbt, nothing really helped. Or let's rephrase this: these things helped so slowly. Then I got impatient and uncertain (also due to pressure from others that sleep is for sure due to my underlying depression) that my problems could be psychic. So I took this horrible decision to try ADs. My bad I even chose a quite unexperienced doctor. As you say I visit a holistic doctor now, who uses pranic healing, nes therapy and acupuncture. I hope so much that she can help. I never thought I will wish to at least have my pre-AD condition. These 18 pills just made the issue so much worse (I'm Zoloft-free already since 3.5 weeks and still..) What do you actually think about hormonal therapy? My progesterone level is low indeed, my gynaecologist suggested me to take progesterone pills.

Huge thanks!

Every body responds differently. I use a topical bio-identical progesterone cream. The pills didn't work well for me, but my friend likes the pills. My friend follows the typical progesterone schedule of two weeks on and then two weeks off (which most doctors recommend because it follows the natural rhythms of progesterone production in the menstrual cycle), but I have to apply the cream every day. The weeks on/weeks off schedule did NOT work for me. Listen to your body. Use what form and dose and schedule of progesterone works best for you (which unfortunately you'll only discover after trial and error. Hopefully not too much error).  Your doctor can help keep an eye on your progesterone levels to make sure they don't get too extremely high, otherwise, do whatever you need to to get some sleep.

• 2 months later...

Insomnia - Zoloft, Pregabalin, Mirtazapine

Dears, after the birth of my baby I suffered from insomnia for 6 months and occassionally took Mirtazapine for it, which helped me very much that time. Later I visited a psychiatrist, who prescribed Zoloft. The 1st day I took it, the real nightmare started. I took 25 mg for 1.5 weeks and 50 mg for additional 1 week. I had terrible reaction already 1 hour after start - digestion issues, restlessness, unbelievable heartbeat, thinking of suicide, sweatening and complete inability to sleep. After 2.5 weeks I could not handle anymore and stopped CT. After stopping my sleep started to improve very very slowly. After two months it kind of became OK, with many night wakenings and early wake ups, but usually I at least had some rest. 

Then before the birthday party of my boy I could not fall asleep, and being desperate I took 7.5 mg Mirtazapine again, hoping it will help out this one time as it did before. It didn't. I just slept some hours compared to the long nights Mirtazapine caused me before and I even collapsed with horrible sweating in the morning. Since then my sleep got horrible. This led me to another psychiatrist, who prescribed Pregabalin 75 mg, which I took for 8 days. Leaving me with more sleepness nights still, I was put back on Mirtazapine 15 mg. From that I started to sleep again, but quite badly - about 6 hours, being completely exhausted, disoriented during the days. I had no clue what is happening around me. Got nausea, dizziness, loss of appetite, anxiety attacks on top. I stopped after 12 days with short tapering: taking 7.5 mg for 2 days and 3.25 mg for additional one day. Since then I do not find myself, my sleep got so bad. I surprisingly fall asleep easily, but am awake 2 hours later. Then I get some broken hours max during the rest of the night. What should I do? I feel these drugs are so much not for me, still I need to take care of my baby, and I need sleep for that. Doctors want to experiment with Trazodone now as they say after taking Zoloft, Mirtazapine is not working for me anymore. I am too scared to jump on another drug. Can this get better?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic and enlarged font

• Moderator Emeritus

I have let the other staff know that you need assistance.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

What drug/s are you currently taking?

Please post the drug name and the dose that you are taking now.

Thank you.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

40 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Thank you.

I take nothing. I started with Magnesium Glycinate, plus CBD oil.

• Administrator

Welcome, @LKB90

On 10/7/2021 at 2:54 AM, LKB90 said:

I was put back on Mirtazapine 15 mg. From that I started to sleep again, but quite badly - about 6 hours, being completely exhausted, disoriented during the days. I had no clue what is happening around me. Got nausea, dizziness, loss of appetite, anxiety attacks on top. I stopped after 12 days with short tapering: taking 7.5 mg for 2 days and 3.25 mg for additional one day. Since then I do not find myself, my sleep got so bad. I surprisingly fall asleep easily, but am awake 2 hours later. Then I get some broken hours max during the rest of the night.

Your body changed after the birth and those drug experiments. 15mg mirtazapine might be too much for you now.

On the night you took 3.25mg mirtazapine, how did you sleep?

It's very common that after quitting mirtazapine, people get rebound insomnia. That is probably what's going on. Taking a very little bit of mirtazapine, perhaps 3.25mg or less, might work better.

If I were you, I'd avoid other psychiatric drug experiments, or you could be feeling awful from them for a very long time.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

13 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, @LKB90

Your body changed after the birth and those drug experiments. 15mg mirtazapine might be too much for you now.

On the night you took 3.25mg mirtazapine, how did you sleep?

It's very common that after quitting mirtazapine, people get rebound insomnia. That is probably what's going on. Taking a very little bit of mirtazapine, perhaps 3.25mg or less, might work better.

If I were you, I'd avoid other psychiatric drug experiments, or you could be feeling awful from them for a very long time.

Dear Altostrata,

Thanks a lot for getting back to me. When starting originally with Mirtazapine, 7.5 mg kicked me out completely, 3.25 mg for appr. 5 hours.. After my 2.5 weeks nightmare with Zoloft, the effect of Mirtazapine very-very much reduced. Up to 7.5 mg I was unable to fall asleep, only 15 mg kicked me out for about 6, 6.5 hours. 

Since my drug experiements my insomnia just became worse.. I'm so diappointed and sad I ever started with these stuffs. Now I even developed PGAD (can it be due to ADs?), but insomnia is definitely the worst thing.. I'm so confused what to do against it. Struggling each night to wait out or take something? :( Will this ever get better? Do you have any experience with CBD oil?

On 10/7/2021 at 12:27 PM, ChessieCat said:

Thank you.

I take nothing. I started with Magnesium Glycinate, plus CBD oil.

• Administrator
12 hours ago, LKB90 said:

3.25 mg for appr. 5 hours.

This is good enough. If you are inclined to reinstatement, suggest you try a tiny bit of mirtazapine, even 1mg, to see what it does.

The rest of your reactions can be attributed to overarching immediate adverse reaction to sertraline, which often does not respond to sleep drugs. Like withdrawal syndrome, it fades very gradually over months. See Adverse reactions to an antidepressant within a few doses -- how long for recovery?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

14 hours ago, Altostrata said:

This is good enough. If you are inclined to reinstatement, suggest you try a tiny bit of mirtazapine, even 1mg, to see what it does.

The rest of your reactions can be attributed to overarching immediate adverse reaction to sertraline, which often does not respond to sleep drugs. Like withdrawal syndrome, it fades very gradually over months. See Adverse reactions to an antidepressant within a few doses -- how long for recovery?

There is a little misunderstanding. Mirtazapine in low portion helped me just BEFORE my Zoloft time. IDK what happened to me due to Zoloft, but after stopping it, Mirtazapine did not put me to sleep anymore (only 15 mg for 6 hours leaving me a living zombie the day after..). I believe Zoloft even changed my reaction to other drugs. Can such a thing happen? What is your advice for me? W/O sleep I just can't exist.. 

• Administrator

Withdrawal insomnia can be so strong, nothing helps it, especially another drug at "normal" dosage.

You may find a small amount of mirtazapine to be more effective now.

What a pity.. Thanks a lot! And according to experience - can it get better / how long does it last?

• Administrator

Yes, we see withdrawal syndrome very slowly fades over many months. Getting sleep is important to assist healing.

Thanks a lot. Concerning sleep: yes, I know this so much. But how to get some sleep during withdrawal, w/o medicines?

• Moderator Emeritus

• 1 month later...

@Gridley Dear Gridley, dear other moderators,

Please help me. My insomnia is horrible since my last intake of Mirtazapine. My PGAD is bad as well. For the first time I really feel I developed depression. I had slewp difficulties and I became a wreck. I am constantly hesitsting what to do. Wait for the wonder or start to take drugs again. Thank you so much in advance.

• Moderator Emeritus
40 minutes ago, LKB90 said:

Dear Gridley, dear other moderators,

Please help me. My insomnia is horrible since my last intake of Mirtazapine. My PGAD is bad as well. For the first time I really feel I developed depression. I had slewp difficulties and I became a wreck. I am constantly hesitsting what to do. Wait for the wonder or start to take drugs again.

I'm taking a break for moderating.  You could check the site to see which moderators are currently active.

I'm sorry you're having sleep difficulties, which are very common in withdrawal.  Based on your signature, you had a bad reaction to the Mirtazapine, which would indicate that re-starting it wouldn't be a good idea.  We are a site for going off drugs and don't recommend taking drugs to deal with withdrawal.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

2 hours ago, Gridley said:

I'm taking a break for moderating.  You could check the site to see which moderators are currently active.

I'm sorry you're having sleep difficulties, which are very common in withdrawal.  Based on your signature, you had a bad reaction to the Mirtazapine, which would indicate that re-starting it wouldn't be a good idea.  We are a site for going off drugs and don't recommend taking drugs to deal with withdrawal.

Thank you so much for your precious time. Fact is that since I stopped with the latest medicine, my status did not change - no improvement. And I took my latest tablet already 8 weeks ago. :( I have a small kid to take care of, I

feel so bad I ever started with these drugs, they just made everything so much worse.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, LKB90 said:

they just made everything so much worse.

I understand.  You will get better.  It will just take time for your brain to heal.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.