SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

HiddenGems: Poly drugged, akathisia, and paradoxical responses

HiddenGems

• Moderator Emeritus
On 10/20/2021 at 8:33 AM, Altostrata said:

Need to see those daily notes, including how you feel before and after taking each drug.

If you split the dose of mirtazapine, we need to see daily notes about the results of that experiment, too.

Alto needs to see more than one day of daily symptoms notes.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Does anyone know anything about Tardive Akathisia? Mine was underneath benzos the whole time. It’s pretty much 24/7 as far as I can perceive. I can dampen it with propanolol. But it’s obviously coming from one of the drugs. I imagine Prozac. Just literally hell. I’ve had this for so long. I thank God for the grace of survival. But it seems to just overall be getting worse. (Agitation, feelings of exploding, extreme tension, poor execution of daily function) None of this is relieved at all by movement. Although sometimes i do move.

February 2019 - 20mgs of Prozac reinstatement triggered progressive Akathisia. Combined with 22.5 of Remeron 

2019 - Tapering paradoxical Valium from 7.5mgs down to 3.6mgs currently all with Akathisia worsening  underneath. Agitation, impatience, restlessness, exploding from skin, catatonic like behavior. 

October 2021 - Started 20mgs of Propranolol daily for Akathisia at insistence of Neurologist. 
Psychiatrist recognizes this for what it is says I need off Prozac but with my current state idk how that’s possible.

On 10/30/2021 at 6:54 PM, ChessieCat said:

Alto needs to see more than one day of daily symptoms notes.

I understand. 
I’m on a very very strict schedule due to my symptoms and follow the same terrible routine everyday. 
Drugs are always taken at the same time. 

February 2019 - 20mgs of Prozac reinstatement triggered progressive Akathisia. Combined with 22.5 of Remeron 

2019 - Tapering paradoxical Valium from 7.5mgs down to 3.6mgs currently all with Akathisia worsening  underneath. Agitation, impatience, restlessness, exploding from skin, catatonic like behavior. 

October 2021 - Started 20mgs of Propranolol daily for Akathisia at insistence of Neurologist. 
Psychiatrist recognizes this for what it is says I need off Prozac but with my current state idk how that’s possible.

7:45 wake up agitation lower

8:00 Coffee agitation still lower

10:00 am Agitation starting to intensify - Eckhart Tolle

12:00pm still intensifying bath - Prayer 

2:00pm/Valium starting to get really bad losing cognitive function, feeling like I’m coming out of my skin. Unable to read or write. 
3:00pm maybe a tad lower 

4:00pm - Rebounding 

5:00pm - Sobbing in pure agony unable to think. Ripping out of my body want relief. 
6:00pm - Propanolol some relief maybe 10 to 15% 

7:00pm - Mirtazapine and Prozac and Valium  - within 25 minutes relief. Return of executive function, loss of ripping out of skin sensation.

Given you are agitated would you consider not drinking caffeine? This may make things worse. 

What prevents you from trying a small dose of mirtazapine in the morning (or midday) given it has such a useful effect at night? 

I guess you are afraid of messing up your routine at all in case it makes things worse? 

2003  various trials of SSRIs/SNRIs
2004-2016  escitalopram 5mg
2016-2018 Escitalopram 5-20mg, mirtazapine 7.5-30mg, Zolpidem CR 12.5mg, Xyrem 2-9gm (GHB)

2018 August pre-taper Escitalopram 20mg, mirtazapine 15mg, Zolpidem CR 12.5mg, Xyrem 2gm

2018 escitalopram Aug 5mg Sep 2.5mg Oct 1.5mg Nov 0.95mg (also mirt from 15mg to 7.5mg) Dec 0.3mg BD 

2019 escitalopram Feb 0.2mg BD March 0.16mg BD 3rd April 0mg esc, 9th April reduce mirt to 3.75 7th May increase esc to 0.18mg nocte 14th May increase mirt to 7.5mg 19th May increase esc to 0.5mg nocte

2021 March - ceased xyrem

2021 June - 0.28 mg of escitalopram, 1.95mg of mirtazapine, 2.5mg of zolpidem

2021 October - 0.27mg of escitalopram, 1.927mg of mirtazapine, 0.2mg of zopiclone (switched from zolpidem to use tapering strips)

2022 July - 0.237mg of escitalopram, 1.7mg of mirtazapine, zopiclone/zolpidem ceased

2 hours ago, sleepylex said:

Given you are agitated would you consider not drinking caffeine? This may make things worse. 

What prevents you from trying a small dose of mirtazapine in the morning (or midday) given it has such a useful effect at night? 

I guess you are afraid of messing up your routine at all in case it makes things worse? 

Yes going to try 7.5 today here at noon. I know black coffee isn’t ideal but it has no effect on my mental status unless I drink a lot. I have a very high tolerance as when I was well I’d drink a half pot myself (probably because at one time I was always fatigued with the Prozac, Mirtazapine, Ativan combo. Atleast I was functioning and not in agony. To go back 

Found out I’m a poor metaboliser of both Valium and Prozac via gene sight. Mirtazapine there’s no interaction. In this case these drugs are building up in my body more than they should and making me very ill. Should I try a decrease of Prozac? There’s 3 drugs i metabolize poorly Valium, Prozac and Valporic Acid.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Benzo paradoxical again. Feel like I’m doused in gasoline which intensity’s increase after dosing. Akathisia off the charts so had to go down 10mg of Prozac. Too many things at once. No stability at all. So my only choice is to get off the drugs. Not sustainable.

Day 8 of a massive 50% reduction of Prozac. I noticed my sense of mental tension and agitation hasn’t progressed at all. Sleep seems a bit heavier at night. Plan on riding on 10 for a while. All just wait and see. Don’t regret my decision in my set of circumstance. 

You are so brave!!

Are you still taking the Propranolol?

zoloft 50 mg 1998  , 1999 switched to Celexa 20mg
2000 switched to Neurontin, Xanax 2 mg, Depakote  .May 2001, cold turkeyed all 3 drugs
reinstated Celexa in the middle of pregnancy, august 2001
after birth of child switched to Prozac weekly september 2002
2008 ..added  Lamictal..dropped after 1 month , switched from Prozac weekly to Effexor 75mg
2010,  upped dose to 150 of Effexor
.tapered down to 20mg over 8 months January to December 2012, started Lexapro 2012 10mg
upped it to 20 mg eventually...Spot treated randomly with .25 of Klonopin once or twice a month
2017  Did not want to switch meds again, tried Lamictal again...c/t after 4 weeks.

added 3.75 mg of Remeron...started researching...found the groups...started taper Sept. 2018.

current doses 4.5 Lexapro, 1.6 Remeron ...updosed Remeron to 2.2 October 2021

1 hour ago, HLH44 said:

You are so brave!!

Are you still taking the Propranolol?

Trust me I’m not brave at all I’m in a corner and trying to survive. Yes still take 20mgs of Propanolol once daily. No new medications. Just less. 

45 minutes ago, HiddenGems said:

Trust me I’m not brave at all I’m in a corner and trying to survive. Yes still take 20mgs of Propanolol once daily. No new medications. Just less. 

I am the same. Have severe akathisia. Even if Im not pacing or tremoring or convulsing....its highjacked my brain. I tried Propranolol...made me extremely depressed and major SI.  Has it helped the aka at all?

2000 switched to Neurontin, Xanax 2 mg, Depakote  .May 2001, cold turkeyed all 3 drugs
2008 ..added  Lamictal..dropped after 1 month , switched from Prozac weekly to Effexor 75mg
.tapered down to 20mg over 8 months January to December 2012, started Lexapro 2012 10mg
upped it to 20 mg eventually...Spot treated randomly with .25 of Klonopin once or twice a month
2017  Did not want to switch meds again, tried Lamictal again...c/t after 4 weeks.

added 3.75 mg of Remeron...started researching...found the groups...started taper Sept. 2018.

Moving along with a very very slow benzo taper. Held my dose for 30 days and by the end my body was shooting with lacerating burning pain within 45 minutes of dosing that made me put a hole in the wall. Reducing from 3.5 to 3.4mgs resolved this within 5 days. Hyperarousal of CNS/Akathisia hasn’t changed much now on day 15 of Prozac to 10mgs. I’m still very very debilitated and find I can’t handle anything at all without becoming agitated to the point of wanting to scream. I wake up like this often though. 95% of my waking time is spent in my room as I can control my environment the most here and feel less exposed. Things as simple as going to sit on the couch or trying to hold a conversation with my dad make me profoundly uncomfortable and overstimulated to the point of wanting to scream from the level of internal distress. Overwhelmed, overstimulated and profoundly tense and agitated is my current existence. I’d love to feel at ease enough to just go for a walk (i was a huge walker before my injury) or learn a song on my guitar. All my comforts have been taken away from me…

• 1 month later...

Update. Akathisia became acute, I spent days clawing at my skin with agitation and rolling on the floor and made multiple attempts at my life. Admitted myself to the ER after almost dying.  The psych ward Doctor was a bit rude and cold but knew it was a akathisia reaction with my presentation and description. He took me off the Prozac as we both agreed it was killing me. Put no antipsychotics or SSRIs on my record patched me up a bit with high doses of Propanolol and sent me home after a few days. He has no idea how long the akathisia will last. Hospital wasn’t pleasant but saved my life and bought me some more time. 

this is pretty much me every morning.

Is the Propanolol helping at all?

10 minutes ago, HiddenGems said:

Update. Akathisia became acute, I spent days clawing at my skin with agitation and rolling on the floor and made multiple attempts at my life. Admitted myself to the ER after almost dying.  The psych ward Doctor was a bit rude and cold but knew it was a akathisia reaction with my presentation and description. He took me off the Prozac as we both agreed it was killing me. Put no antipsychotics or SSRIs on my record patched me up a bit with high doses of Propanolol and sent me home after a few days. He has no idea how long the akathisia will last. Hospital wasn’t pleasant but saved my life and bought me some more time. 

I am truly sorry for what you are going through. I know the feeling…. I have it every day but it doesn’t last all day for me so I get some relief from this excruciating pain. You are in my prayers ….. hoping Prozac discontinuation will bring you relief. 

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

Starting a intensive outpatient program with a nice psychiatrist who’s not trying to drug me. Maybe he will know something or someone? Who knows anything about such reactions. I emailed Healy. Ofcourse I didn’t hear back but I wouldn’t expect too really. It seems like there is no one that knows anything about Akathisia and if it’s permanent or not.

7 minutes ago, HiddenGems said:

Starting a intensive outpatient program with a nice psychiatrist who’s not trying to drug me. Maybe he will know something or someone? Who knows anything about such reactions. I emailed Healy. Ofcourse I didn’t hear back but I wouldn’t expect too really. It seems like there is no one that knows anything about Akathisia and if it’s permanent or not.

A psychiatrist told me it is not permanent and everyone gets better but we can’t predict the time. Do you feel worst, bit better or the same after quitting Prozac?

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

its 100% not permanent...no way can the brain and body keep up that kind of expenditure...i've seen people cold turkey several meds after years and eventually it does lift. Just have keep yourself alive until it does. Im in the same boat. Have stopped my taper of Lex and Mirt for now but if this doesn't stop soon, Im just gonna keep tapering...I want to be free...even if it takes 10 more years.

4 hours ago, HiddenGems said:

I emailed Healy. Ofcourse I didn’t hear back but I wouldn’t expect too really. It seems like there is no one that knows anything about Akathisia and if it’s permanent or not.

I emailed Healy twice and he did respond both times  . He said "it should heal" and "should clear but nobody can say when" ..  

I recovered once already but reignited it with antibiotics, covid, and now abilify .. I'm only on Depakote but I'm not sure thats doing anything ..

December 2014 - Lexapro 20 mg

August 2016 Med free (6 week taper)

December 22 2021  added Abilify 5mg / Ativan .5mg / Depakote ER 1000mg

Discontinued Abilify 5mg on 12-30-21---accidental dose on 1-13-22 (looks like Ativan)

Ativan PRN/Discontinued 1-14-22

Only drug is Depakote ER 1000mg ( looking to taper slow and safe for once )

3/24/22 Depakote 625mg 

Propranolol 20-40mg  PRN

6 minutes ago, Alice1 said:

I emailed Healy twice and he did respond both times  . He said "it should heal" and "should clear but nobody can say when" ..  

I recovered once already but reignited it with antibiotics, covid, and now abilify .. I'm only on Depakote but I'm not sure thats doing anything ..

Thank you Alice. I’m existing in a state of severe unfunctional torture because of it (I foolishly stayed on the offending medication for 2 years.) tapering my benzo thinking that was my problem. (Stupid benzo groups blaming all issues on benzodiazepines) Well the akathisia got worse. I’m unable to take care of myself and can only shower and occasionally shave and brush my teeth. My Dad has to cook, do my laundry and everything for me. Luckily I don’t have any responsibilities. I sold everything. High doses of Propanolol are the only things that take me out of agony just enough. I had a Russian doctor in the hospital tell me the same he had no idea how long it’ll take considering I stayed on the med and progressively got worse. To make matters worse I’m in severe tolerance withdrawal to my benzo and it causes me acidic pain that increases after dosing. I’m fighting my ass off. I pray that God allows me to get well enough to do a long and truth filled video on my story that can maybe keep someone else alive. I had GAD and mild depression. I still functioned, worked, dated, hobbies and friends. I would almost rather be schizophrenic where I had treatment options than this. There’s so much misinformation out on the internet too. I’ve sadly realized the majority of people claiming akathisia don’t have it and when I tell them my existence they can’t relate and neither can I. I literally keep the hospital card in my pocket as a emergency at all times because I would rather be in a psychward then dead and I know at the very least a ward does that…

• 1 month later...

how are you doing now? any changes?

2010-2020: Venlafaxine (between 37.5mg and 225mg (CT twice from low doses 2018, 2020) and Trazodone (between 25 and 50mg, CTd twice without problems)

April 2021: Crash with OCD, anxiety, akathisia after taking benzo and microdosing mushrooms

11th June-2nd July(3 weeks total): Seroquel 150mg, Seroquel XR 50mg, Trazodone 150mg, Zoldem 10mg

July 2nd-Feb 15: Venlafaxine between 37,5 and 75mg, Olanzapine between 2,5 and 5mg

August 22nd: introduce 0.5mg Lorazepam (0.25 10am, 0.25 7pm) December 7th: stop morning dose Lorazepam without problems

January 10: Reduce evening dose from 0.2mg to 0,15, cant sleep and take 1.5mg Lorazepam, plus forgot to take my Venlafaxine that day

--> severe crash with suicidal akathisia

go up with Lorazepam to 4mgs, starting 4mgs on March 28th

February 15th: increase Venlafaxine to 93,75, tried 150 with bad reaction, slight increase seemed to settle the akathisia a bit

June 14 lose sleep, return of akathisia in full force 20th June increase Lorazepam to 5mg 

current medication: Venlafaxine 93,75mg (8am) Olanzapine 3mg (9:30pm), Lorazepam 5mg taken 4x daily at 8-12-17-21:30 o'clock

• 1 year later...
  • Mentor

@HiddenGems I read your thread. You have been through hell.  How are you doing now?  I am hoping that you have had some improvement. I wish you the very best in your recovery.

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY