SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Ruhik: A scared-from- AD meds person

Ruhik

Hi there! 

I'm Ruhi from Pakistan. I was a completely life loving person until corona hit me in April this year , yet I happily and positively went through the first 12 days without any difficulty Yay! 

Got severe panic attacks on 13th and 14th day of isolation but didn't take any tablet for it. I have a history of Anxiety and stress but this experience gave me a burnout!

Anyways when I came out , I took 0.25 mg Alprazolam for 3 days afterwards to ward off anxiety. and it helped at that time , but afterwards i started experiencing visual disturbances , light sensitivity which was mistaken for post viral Anxiety and dry eye syndrome.

Took a series of meds for dry eye issue and sinusitus including steriods.

Health anxiety went up the roof , had pressure in head , squeezing eye issue which were mistaken for anxiety. Developed bilateral tinnitus as well due to stress. I was getting less sleep , freaking out over everything that was happening to my body and vision. I ran to many docs and nothing worked , instead the meds backfired.

Took augmentin for sinus infection which messed up my ears even more, took alp 0.5mg for 3 days and then with a gap of 3 days took it again for 3 more. When i left , the WD symptoms appeared again and that was when i realized something wasnt right. Yet no one belived me. Earlier this month i went to a psychiatrist as my symptoms were getting worse and he prescribed cipralex 10mg which i didnt want to take but took it. I vomited the first dose and my eye sight got blur with shivering. I contacted my doctor he asked me to half the pill or leave it , i left taking it and cried a lot because of my condition until my family forcefully put me on 5mg again after a gap of 4 days. My visuals got worse, i got visual snow and double vision in an eye(mistaken for dry eye again) but she said that it will get better, i took it for 2 more days with nausea and vomit , i cut the pill down to 2.5 mg , took it for two days , experienced light and sound sensitivity so i discontinued it. The visual disturbance is still there along with light sensitivity. Idk when it will get better. So this is why I'm here 

Edited by arbor

April 21/21-23/21 0.25mg alprazolam for 3 days then quit. Took0.25-0.5mg as needed later.

July 11/21 - started cipralex 10mg experienced reaction 

July 16/21- Lowered the dose by 5mg. Worsened visual snow.

July 17/21- 5mg Cipralex - had nausea and vomiting 

July 18/21- 5mg - nauseous

July 19/21- 2.5mg - felt fine

July 20/21- 2.5mg , increased eye strain , light and sound sensitivity. Decided to discontinue. 

Symptoms: visual disturbance when eyes closed and open, light and sound sensitivity , anxiety.

Supplements taking : fish oil , b12 and multivitamins.

• arbor changed the title to Ruhik: A scared-from- AD meds person
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA @Ruhik.

I'm sorry you've had such a rough time--starting with the corona virus and ending up with cipralex.  You did a good job of realizing that they were causing problems and didn't stay on them any longer than you did.  

To get you started and to give you pertinent information, we ask members to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in a list format.  

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

15 hours ago, Ruhik said:

The visual disturbance is still there along with light sensitivity.

Yes, these are common symptoms of psycho-drug use and withdrawal.  They will with time gradually heal, but we can't predict how long it can take.  Each person seems to heal at their own pace.  Here are some links that can give you more information:

Vision symptoms: floaters, snow, blurred/dimmed vision ...

What is withdrawal syndrome?

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. 

Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover.

If symptoms get worse you may have the option of reinstating cipralex at a very low dose and tapering slowly from there.  This link explains this option:

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

I encourage you to stay in touch and keep us informed as to how your symptoms are progressing.  Keeping track can be a useful technique as it can be hard to remember over time.  Here's a link for that:

Rate symptoms daily to track patterns and progress

Or you may choose to continue on course.  We can help you make that decision should it arise.

This is your Introduction site where you can ask questions and connect with other members.

I'm glad you've found us. 

Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

On 7/26/2021 at 8:43 AM, arbor said:

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous

Thankyou so much for replying! I went to a psychologist last week who acknowledged that i indeed had rare side effects from Cipralex and xanax had its own withdrawals. I was prescribed a range of medicines for my sinus and Tinnitus issue post covid which I think has made my recovery worse. I've started taking fish oil supplement since the start of this month for dry eyes, didn't know it could be beneficial in this aspect as well. 

April 21/21-23/21 0.25mg alprazolam for 3 days then quit. Took0.25-0.5mg as needed later.

July 20/21- 2.5mg , increased eye strain , light and sound sensitivity. Decided to discontinue. 

Symptoms: visual disturbance when eyes closed and open, light and sound sensitivity , anxiety.

On 7/26/2021 at 8:43 AM, arbor said:

symptoms get worse you may have the option of reinstating cipralex at a very low dose and tapering slowly from there.  This link explains this option:

Actually I'm a bit confused at the moment. I had a cervical muscle spasm the time I was prescribed cipralex and I don't know what contributed to my blurred vision and monocular diplopia in right eye , i think its the latter as I stopped taking celecoxib and myolax for my neck issue after 3 days of taking 10mg but the issue persisted . I went to 4th ophthalmologist for my eye related issue and my eyesight values have changed in the right eye. Could this be temporary? As i checked my eyes last month and there were no changes. The right eye hs been having a lot of problems

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear @Ruhik,

Unfortunately, all symptoms including muscle and eye problems can take time to heal.  To answer your questions I still need you to clarify your signature, as referred to to the link above:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Are you still taking cipralex?  In not, what date did you finish?  Please list the date of finishing each drug.  Are there any other drugs you're still using?

Thank you for making this as clear as possible for us.

My best wishes to you,

Arbor

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

1 hour ago, arbor said:

Are you still taking cipralex?  In not, what date did you finish?  Please list the date of finishing each drug.  Are there any other drugs you're still using

No i stopped after taking 2.5 mg . My last dose was on 20th July. Let me correct my information. I took first dose of 10mg on 11th July. 

Now I'm just taking supplements including fish oil and multivitamins.

1 hour ago, arbor said:

Thank you for making this as clear as possible for us

I'm glad I found this site. My symptoms have been giving me anxiety :( i read so many stories on reddit about worsening of symptoms and not recovering from it after taking ssri. 

Regards,

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear @Ruhik,

Thank you for clarifying your signature.  Did you have a chance to read the links that I sent you in my first message?  You have a small amount of time in which you can make a decision about whether you want to go forward and not expose yourself further to Cipralex, or if you would prefer to reinstate at a very small dose and taper slowly from there.  Please read the links carefully.  Also, I can help you consider this question more if you could send me detailed descriptions of the symptoms you're experiencing.  I know you are suffering from anxiety.  If you can, try not to be anxious about the anxiety.  Stay as calm as you can and observe it only as a symptom that will eventually go away.  Browsing the Self care section can help you.  In my experience, alprazolam will only make things worseThis is a critical period for you to take especially good care of your health.  Avoid stress.  

It will get better,

Arbor

8 hours ago, arbor said:

Thank you for clarifying your signature.  Did you have a chance to read the links that I sent you in my first message?

Yess , I had read them before making an account here. But the problem is that i dont have the liquid version of cipralex here and considering the side effects I experienced , I don't want to take it again.

9 hours ago, arbor said:

Also, I can help you consider this question more if you could send me detailed descriptions of the symptoms you're experiencing

Light sensitivity , eye strain , grainy vision which is more visible at night , glare , halos and starbursts around lights , floaters (they don't bother me much) blurry vision , headache , insomnia ( maybe its due to anxiety) , Tinnitus which started in one ear now in both ( two noises) loud noises bother me 

I just noticed in your signature that you take B vitamins and a multi vitamin. Multi vitamins also contain B vitamins. They can be very activating when tapering or in withdrawal and cause anxiety in some. They can wreak havoc on your nervous system.

You may want to try not taking them for a while and see if that helps.

Anxiety is horrible, I know I go through it daily. 

Hope I could help just a little.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear @Ruhik,

Yes, these symptoms are profoundly distressing.  I'm again, so sorry you too are having to experience them.  Even reinstatement often fails, and in some cases, worsens the situation.  I want to support your decision to move forward and allow your system to heal.

10 hours ago, Ruhik said:

considering the side effects I experienced , I don't want to take it again.

I can share with you that I take the amino acid, taurine, before bed for tinnitus.  Here are a couple of links that you might find interesting:

by TJ Brozoski · 2010 · Cited by 39 — That taurine was effective in alleviating tinnitus and generally improving auditory performance in this age range indicates that normal auditory ...

Taurine (L-taurine amino acid) - Symptoms and self-care

In the meantime, I find the success stories are invaluable for keeping me going.  Here's a link for you to explore if you haven't already:

Recovery Success Stories 

Yours,

Arbor

1 hour ago, arbor said:

Even reinstatement often fails, and in some cases, worsens the situation.  I want to support your decision to move forward and allow your system to heal.

I tried 5mg 4 days after taking 10mg and it worsened my visual snow , i hope it comes back to baseline :( and the blurry vision is irritating

1 hour ago, arbor said:

I can share with you that I take the amino acid, taurine, before bed for tinnitus. 

Does it help you? Let me see if I could find it here in Pakistan. It was pretty low before , i had a few stressful moments that made it worse and in both ears. Else i had no problem. The thing that amazes me is that whenever i took alprazolam , it would make my visuals and Tinnitus better.

8 hours ago, Frogie said:

I just noticed in your signature that you take B vitamins and a multi vitamin. Multi vitamins also contain B vitamins. They can be very activating when tapering or in withdrawal and cause anxiety in some. They can wreak havoc on your nervous system

I'm taking them for post corona recovery as I have iron deficiency too. B12 is for the numbness  after corona and it suits me. Should I leave it for sometime to see if I notice any change? 

1 hour ago, arbor said:

In the meantime, I find the success stories are invaluable for keeping me going.  Here's a link for you to explore if you haven't already

My sister asked me to study the same for positivity and my psychologist is of the same view that I should talk in a positive way to my body. Thankyou so much for checking up on me 💜 really appreciate it

8 hours ago, Frogie said:

Anxiety is horrible, I know I go through it daily. 

The only thing that made me have cipralex -_- i hope these symptoms subside too. Thankyou for your input 💜

17 minutes ago, Ruhik said:

I'm taking them for post corona recovery as I have iron deficiency too. B12 is for the numbness  after corona and it suits me. Should I leave it for sometime to see if I notice any change? 

I don’t want to suggest you stop anything that you are using for medical purposes. You can only do what you feel comfortable with. I only know that B vitamins can be very stimulating and cause anxiety in some people.

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

16 minutes ago, Ruhik said:

The only thing that made me have cipralex -_- i hope these symptoms subside too. Thankyou for your input 💜

You’re welcome. I hope your anxiety subsides for you.

Just now, Frogie said:

I only know that B vitamins can be very stimulating and cause anxiety in some people.

I had a cocktail of medications during these months for my sinus that might've contributed to my sensitive cns as i felt every medicine i took had a negative reaction on me , resulting in more Anxiety. So for now I'm just taking multi vitamins 

2 minutes ago, Frogie said:

You’re welcome. I hope your anxiety subsides for you.

I wish you good health and anxiety free life too. :)

@arbor can I get vaccinated now? Would that do any harm to my recovery process?

@Altostratamaybe you can help me out :(

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/2/2021 at 2:01 PM, Ruhik said:

can I get vaccinated now? Would that do any harm to my recovery process?

Hello @Ruhik

These are good questions.  I can give you my thoughts and links to conversations among other members on this site, knowing that like each of us, you will make the best decision for you.  It is my belief that getting the vaccine is better than getting Covid, whether we are in w/d or not.  So yes, as a fellow antidepressant survivor, I encourage you to get the vaccine as soon as you can, and then to continue to wear masks.  Our systems are very delicate at this time.  It's good to protect youself.

As you probably know, there's no way of predicting how your system will respond to the vaccine.  Many people have no problem.  Others experience a worsening of w/d symptoms for awhile which go away sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.  Sadly, like w/d itself, and all the problems both drugs and Covid present us with, it is something we have to deal with.  I appreciate what you're going through and hold in my heart the thought of your healing and good health.

Coronavirus / covid19, and psychiatric drug tapering 

Covid Vaccination - have you had it? - Introductions and ...

❤️Arbor

@arbor thankyou so much for guiding me. My psychologist advised me to delay it by a week or two to get my anxiety in control a bit. Now that my family understands my situation I deal with the symptoms more easily. One more question , i got more light sensitive especially fluorescent light when I dropped my dose to 2.5mg  , would this abate too? I don't see a lot of success stories when it comes to vision problems :(

37 minutes ago, arbor said:

I appreciate what you're going through and hold in my heart the thought of your healing and good health.

Thankyou so much arbor 💜 I'm glad I came across this site on time

Anyone???

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, @RuhikHow are you doing?  I'm on my way to work now, but I'll be checking the site from time to time.

Arbor🌳

Thankyou @arbor , I hope you are well. Like I mentioned about cervical spasm in my intro , as it happened before the day I started cipralex so it isn't related to the tablet , recently my the pain has aggravated and it has contributed to my vision issue equally , I was wondering if I could take tylenol (paracetamol) ?   I took the meds which the doc had prescribed when it happened , celecoxib (celebrex) and a muscle relaxant for 3-5 days as I didn't know that it could react with the med ( I even asked my doctor if it was safe to take with cipralex and he said it was) . Now I don't know if I should take it or not for the recurring pain

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello @Ruhik--I'm sorry you're having these difficulties.  Here is a link in which member discuss using tylenol:

Painkillers in withdrawal: aspirin, ibuprofen, paracetamol ...

5 hours ago, Ruhik said:

I took the meds which the doc had prescribed when it happened , celecoxib (celebrex) and a muscle relaxant for 3-5 days as I didn't know that it could react with the med ( I even asked my doctor if it was safe to take with cipralex and he said it was) . Now I don't know if I should take it or not for the recurring pain

Unfortunately, this is the situation most of us here find ourselves in.  We often are having to talk among ourselves and share our reactions to OTC drugs like Tylenol.  I put "tylenol" in the search box to the left on the main forum page and came up with others' opinions.  From what I read, I would suggest you go ahead and try taking the tylenol, but maybe start with half a dose and see what it does for you.  

I look forward to hearing how you're doing.  If you still want more answers, Frogie may be more knowledgeable than I am.

I send you my very best wishes,

Arbor

@arborthankyou so much for guiding me in detail. After the drugs I've taken in the past 3 months I'm scared to take any new unless absolute necessary. 

On 8/4/2021 at 8:13 PM, Ruhik said:

more question , i got more light sensitive especially fluorescent light when I dropped my dose to 2.5mg  , would this abate too? I don't see a lot of success stories when it comes to vision problems :(

@arborcan you please help me with this one

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear @Ruhik--There isn't a lot of information about this that I have found though it seems a very common symptom.  I have read of people getting better.  I can share with you what I do, though my eye problems haven't changed.  

1) Exercise to keep your muscles, including your eye muscles, active.

2) Wear glasses to inhibit the blue rays.

3) Eat foods high in protein and anti-oxidants.

4) Unearthly patience.

I was on AD's a long time.  You, however, got off them quickly.  Hang in there--you will heal.

Arbor 

@arbor i took a lot of medicines in between so something must've affected the eyes , however the blurry vision at distance , focus issue and Diplopia thing happened after i took 10mg cipralex for the first time , hope it abates.  

M very bad at exercise in general but i was doing eye exercises before for improving my eyesight. I should start it again. 

Thankyou for being here for me. 💜 Stay blessed.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not good at exercise either🙁.  Although I like walking🙂.  I forgot to mention that any exercise you do, people here recommend doing it gently. 

I do believe your double-vision will improve--Arbor 🙏

Hi @arbor i had a bad day as i got my cervical traction done and it messed me up big time visually. I'm taking an anti inflammatory for it , hope it subsides