SueAd: Trying to get off mirtazapine 15mg while pregnant

SueAd

Hi, I have been taking mirtazapine 15mg for 6.5 months. I don’t take any other medications and have never been on any medications before. 
I started this in January for postnatal panic  and anxiety. I never had any depression. Just had panic that made me feel like I was dying. I should also note that I have been struggling with insomnia since 2019 which was triggered by a blood donation I made. Prior to this I have never had any problems sleeping ever in my life. The blood donation caused me to have very bad heart  palpitations which interfered with sleep. But I managed it naturally. 

fast forward to today. I am 16 weeks pregnant with baby no. 5 and I tried to get off the mirtazapine at 6 weeks by cutting it on half to 7.5mg.  10 days later I become severely depressed, anxious, nauseous, crippled with doom and had severe body aches. I reinstated back to 15mg immediately. Symptoms started to disappear one by one shortly after, but it took me around 6-8 weeks to stabilise. 
Now I’m stable. Sleeping well, feeling well. 
But I have come to realise the trap I have fallen for. How will I ever be able to get off this without further damage? 
I don’t want my baby exposed to this drug any longer and I worry about the baby getting withdrawals. However, I am tight for time. What should I do ? What’s the safest and quickest way possible to get off this poison. Or should I just stay on it until after the baby is born ? 

Edited by manymoretodays

January 17th 2021- started mirtazapine 7.5mg at night 

January 27th 2021- increased to 15mg at night. 
stable and no side effects 

1 May 2021- was 6 weeks pregnant and told to reduce to 7.5mg 

10 May 2021- hit with horrible withdrawal and reinstated to 15mg immediately.

stabilised over the next 6-8 weeks 

currently on 15mg night mirtazapine ONLY.

• manymoretodays changed the title to SueAd: Trying to get off mirtazapine 15mg while pregnant.
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, SueAd. Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

I'm glad you reinstated so quickly back to 15 mg and have now stabilized. It looks like you reduced too fast. Please note we recommend tapering no faster than 10% per month off the prior month's dose. Please see:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

For information specific to mirtazapine, please see:

Tips for tapering off mirtazapine (Remeron)

Here is some information on withdrawal to get you started: 

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

For help with sleep, please see:

Tips to help sleep: so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Please add a signature. Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Please continue to use this thread to document your taper and to ask questions. 

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have been told about a different way of tapering. Can you please tell me if it’s also safe ? 

mix 15mg orodispersable tablet in 150mL of water and reduce my 1mL each day to wean off in 5 months or reduce by 0.5mL each day to wean off in 10 months ??

someone successfully came off this way without any withdrawal and said that since it’s a very gradual drop each day the brain doesn’t notice. 

I don’t know if that’s ok or not.

if you have any experience please let me know. 

• Administrator

Welcome, @SueAd

Many people probably would be able to taper mirtazapine with daily "mini-taper" reductions as you describe. The success of this method depends on whether your personal neurobiology can adapt in 24 hours to these small reductions.

If you dissolve 15mg mirtazapine in 150mL of water, you will have 1mg in 10mL, or 0.05mg in 0.5mL. Reducing your dose of 15mg to zero by 0.5mL each day will require 300 reductions.

As we recommend a decrease of 10% per month (which at a dosage of 15mg, would be 1.5mg), this reduction schedule would keep you within a 10% reduction bracket for one month. After that, the relative rate of reduction would progressively increase each month.

For example, the second month would start with a dosage of 13.5mg; a reduction rate of 0.05mg each day would reduce by another 1.5mg, or 11% over 30 days. The next month starts with 12.15mg: a month of daily 0.05mg reductions to 10.94mg would be 12.34%. And so forth, with the rate of taper getting larger.

We have seen these linear tapers get people into trouble, as their nervous systems have to accommodate to ever-increasing gaps in dosage.

Another complication is that mirtazapine has a long half-life, so you might be in the 3rd or 4th month of your taper before withdrawal symptoms catch up to you. On the other hand, the long half-life of this particular drug might work in favor of allowing your nervous system to adapt to a fairly gentle downward dosage slope. We cannot predict what your nervous system will tolerate, but

However, unfortunately your recent prior withdrawal symptoms increases the likelihood you may run into difficulty with this method, as your nervous system may still be a bruised by the experience.

On 7/26/2021 at 8:27 AM, SueAd said:

I tried to get off the mirtazapine at 6 weeks by cutting it on half to 7.5mg.  10 days later I become severely depressed, anxious, nauseous, crippled with doom and had severe body aches. I reinstated back to 15mg immediately. Symptoms started to disappear one by one shortly after, but it took me around 6-8 weeks to stabilise. 

You might try your micro taper method for the first month and see how your system responds to it. If you progressively have more difficulty after that -- rebound insomnia is a common sign of mirtazapine withdrawal -- you know that particular micro taper method isn't going to work for you.

It's up to you to decide whether you want to try this. Please let us know how you're doing.

But before you do anything, to help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 8 months later...

Hi, I didn’t end up starting a taper and stayed on 15mg for a year now. I had my baby 5 months ago and just this week, Everytime I take the mirtazapine I get a whole body restlessness and difficulty sleeping and heart starts racing. Previously I had no side effects at all from the mirtazapine. Can you tell me what this probably means? Is my dose too high or too low for my body now? Should I start a taper or wait ? I’m scared this is serotonin syndrome or akathisia. Please help. 

Hi, I didn’t end up starting a taper and stayed on 15mg for a year now. I had my baby 5 months ago and just this week, Everytime I take the mirtazapine I get a whole body restlessness and difficulty sleeping and heart starts racing. I’m always being hit with panic feelings. Previously I had no side effects at all from the mirtazapine. Can you tell me what this probably means? Is my dose too high or too low for my body now? Should I start a taper or wait ? I’m scared this is serotonin syndrome or akathisia. Please help. I don’t take any other medication and have never taken any other medication except 15mg mirtazapine starting in January 2021 for postpartum depression “apparently”. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to SueAd: Trying to get off mirtazapine 15mg while pregnant
  • Moderator Emeritus

SueAd, did anything else change? Are you taking any supplements? Has your diet, stress level, routine, etc changed? Have you had any alcohol or caffeine? Any recent illnesses or dental work? 

Hi, no nothing has changed except that I had a baby 5 months ago. 

• Moderator Emeritus

It could be shifts in hormones.

You mentioned serotonin syndrome earlier, but I don't think you'd get that at only 15 mg mirtazapine. Serotonin syndrome usually involves a high dose of a serotonin drug or two or more serotonin-increasing drugs used together. 

It's possible you may have hit what's called "poopout" (tachyphylaxis), which is when you've reached tolerance. Brassmonkey wrote a good explanation of that here - Tachyphylaxis, Reaching Tolerance  or as It's Lovingly Known "Poop-Out"

But at 5 months after having a baby, if it's the shift in hormones, you may want to touch base with your doctor (just be careful of doctors wielding psychiatric drugs as a "cure" for postpartum issues). 

• 5 months later...

How are you doing now @SueAd

2000-2018 150-200mg Sertraline and Vyvanse

2018- vyvanse 60mg to 0 over 6mo. 200mg Sertraline to 150mg. 2019- 150mg Sertraline to 100mg. Early 2021- 100mg to 87.5, two weeks later 87.5 to 75mg, 1.25-4mg bromazepam PRN. Mid 2021 - Feb 2022 taper 2.5%-5% 75mg to 50mg. March 2022 bromazepam for 3 weeks. May 9th 2022 started Propranolol, 10mg in the morning and 10mg in the evening. July 2022- off propranolol Oct 2022- off birth control. Dec 2022- updose sertraline 100mg, benztropine 1mg and Ativan 1mg. March 2023- stop benztropine. May 2023 - ativan taper finished. May 2023 - updose Sertraline to 125mg added propranolol 40mg added Ativan 1mg. July 5- sertraline 112.5mg propranolol 60mg, quick 2 week Ativan taper. Current meds: propranolol 60mg, sertraline 106.25mg, Ativan .025mg, B6, CoQ10, Magnesium Glycinate